Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Half of Dracula posted:

I hate to limit any player choice for non-gameplay reasons but the rune lock is also really good flavor-wise to me. Granted, Zot already has an explicit three-rune lock but the idea of these "Vaults" being similarly guarded gives it a difference impression than just being another branch.

I think the vault runelock is better for the game than the zot runelock is, honestly. It'd be cool if you could dive straight on through D, depths, and zot and never go to a branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Speaking of which, I always found it weird/disappointing that Abyss:5 has nothing special other than increased spawn rates, maybe it could be put to use by placing a special portal to Zot there as a shortcut :getin:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Anything to reduce the time I spend on the abyss is fine with me. It's not hard, just tedious.

Then again I'm the sucker who 15 runes every time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

apple posted:

Speaking of which, I always found it weird/disappointing that Abyss:5 has nothing special other than increased spawn rates, maybe it could be put to use by placing a special portal to Zot there as a shortcut :getin:

gently caress yeah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

apple posted:

This is a very good idea imo

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

apple posted:

What if a level 2 trowel card effect fired off every so often in A:5? That's easy to code as most of the work has already been done.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
While we're putting in feature requests, here's an easy (presumably one) that's so obvious to me that I have no idea why it isn't in the game already:

put shops in Pan so money still does something in extended

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Runelock is annoying to me because say I'm missing both rpois and relec for Snake and Shoals 4 is a goddamn mess. Or I have Spider as a caster without sInv. Or I haven't found a decent branded battleaxe or great mace. Or I'm a crossbow user, no good xbow, low on bolts. In all those cases, before runelock I could dip my toe into Vaults and usually solve the problem. Certain builds that would struggle to get their first rune do well in vaults, for example hexers or anyone with freezing cloud.

If you're not meant to be in Vaults yet, make it tougher or give it creatures with more problematical abilities. As a method of discouragement, good design trumps the blue key card.

cheetah7071 posted:

put shops in Pan so money still does something in extended

This but they are always the high-price special Gozag shops.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Araganzar posted:

If you're not meant to be in Vaults yet, make it tougher or give it creatures with more problematical abilities. As a method of discouragement, good design trumps the blue key card.

Ever since Vault Guards got split into a bunch of different flavors of gently caress you I've felt Vaults has had plenty of reasons to avoid it regardless of the rune lock.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Also I plan on bringing back boring beetles and adding the dream sheep sleep effect to them.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
How boring.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Suggestion for new artefact: The Floodkiller:
https://pastebin.com/t042mJU1

pre:
eveningstar "Floodkiller"

A brightly shining eveningstar. It brings the wielder true clarity in
the form of a piercing light that in combat may shine on enemies like
the sun itself.  Invoking this weapon will evaporate nearby water
to create a cloaking fog to confound your enemies.
Not going to localize that into 17 languages just quite yet

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think rMut should stay gone. Either enemies causing mutations is interesting enough that everyone should have to deal with it, or they shouldn't do it. The new amulets are way more interesting.

rMut on a fixedart or something would be cool

Isn't it on the silver lajatang? Of Order or something. Or is that gone now.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Araganzar posted:

What if a level 2 trowel card effect fired off every so often in A:5? That's easy to code as most of the work has already been done.

Level 2 Trowel with no cap sounds pretty cool; I've had games where I got banished early but luck + race/bg combo had me powerful enough to fight in the Abyss, so they could make for alternate routes to take for becoming more powerful (though much riskier obviously)

If Zot portals are added to that list or as a standalone thing in A:5 you'd probably have to give the Zot entry location some thought; it could just be the Z:1 entrance (maybe with the exit sealed until you get the orb), but then the orb run might be a slog even if you were powerful enough since you would potentially have the entirety of Depths or more to clear

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
First game in 0.21, a GnSk^A, got Para-locked by a red-name sorcerer in orc 1 because I thought I could take it.

The game may change, but getting killed because of my own stupidity is eternal.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Isn't it on the silver lajatang? Of Order or something. Or is that gone now.

The Lajatang of Order still exists and still provides rMut.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Man, I hadn't played Crawl in a long time, so I decided to try to win one of the newer gods on an older version (0.19 since my last win was 0.18).

After splatting five times (I guess I'm out of practice...) I finally got an Uskayaw character that will win with 15 runes unless I die in a zig or something. Also, I finally achieved a character build with this guy that I had always wanted to get going -- a Nadotaur (tornado-casting minotaur). Unfortunately, it took until after I had gotten the 14th rune to get Tornado reliably castable.

Character dump:
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Jazzimus/Jazzimus.txt

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Why is it a Nadotaur instead of a Minotaurnado?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Zaodai posted:

Why is it a Nadotaur instead of a Minotaurnado?

Fewer syllables, but I think I like your name better.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'm not sure if the Zot entrance thing will work; I remember someone else attempting to spawn multiple Zot entrances and having it gently caress up everything if the entrance despawned (which is almost guaranteed in Abyss). Trowel might work as is if I put that in, but older code might stop working depending on if anything it touched was refactored since it was last removed. On that note:

Gooncrawl progress update:
Singularity is still broken as gently caress. I've managed to make it stick around, but I can't find out where it's crashing in the current code. I've also managed to make it somewhat work (I think, I've never used the old version) in a different branch by just installing the initial patch. However, in order to bring the latter version up to speed with the version that was removed, I'm going to have to go through all Singularity related commits one at a time and re-apply them (until it breaks). This isn't going to be easy because not every commit that touched Singularity code was identified in the commit notes, so I'll have to go through every commit until the removal to figure it out.

For now, I'll keep Singularity out of the main fork so that I can get the other remaining features in without worrying about the broken code (on either version) screwing things up. I'll pull the current (crashing) version out to a separate branch here if anyone with code knowledge wants to figure out why it's breaking (I think it's related to the _attract_actor method with what I've narrowed down from debug mode, but I'm not sure where). I'll work on updating the older Singularity on a different side branch after I finish the rest of the features on the design doc. Whichever version gets working first, I'll merge back into the Gooncrawl fork.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Godspeed Floodkiller your doing the lords werk

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

heard u like girls posted:

Godspeed Floodkiller your doing the lords werk

I don't know how many of you have looked at the source code but oh my god this is accurate.

The only way I'm ever able to code anything is if there's a very similar example elsewhere in the code. For example, I was trying to make the Floodkiller mace do a beam of sunlight on the target's square on 1/3 of melee hits. Modifying the brand from Holy Wrath to "Holy Light" was easy, as was copying the electrocution brand code and changing the damage type to HOLY.

However, Fedhas's sunlight power is a god ability (so there aren't examples of it being evoked or cast) and it's targeted so I'd have to bypass the targeting and target the square where the enemy the player is hitting is standing.

The existing code for the god ability is as follows:
pre:
spret_type fedhas_sunlight(bool fail)
{
    dist spelld;
    bolt temp_bolt;
    temp_bolt.colour = YELLOW;
    targeter_smite tgt(&you, LOS_RADIUS, 0, 1);
    direction_chooser_args args;
    args.restricts = DIR_TARGET;
    args.mode = TARG_HOSTILE_SUBMERGED;
    args.range = LOS_RADIUS;
    args.needs_path = false;
    args.top_prompt = "Select sunlight destination.";
    args.hitfunc = &tgt;
    direction(spelld, args);
My assumption would be I could put another flag on this call or I could copy it to floodkiller_sunliight, and replace the targeting call with the enemy's location. Unfortunately, I don't know where spelld is defined and I have no idea where I would find the "direction" function, the word "direction" is going to appear in a million places. You can also see there are zero inline comments - generally crawl is very good about explaining overall use and the meanings of enums/constants but doesn't really care to inline comment.

I also don't know how to populate spelld to return the location of the target the player just hit. I'd have to find another brand that does something similar since any other call wouldn't have this information. So right now I am calling process_sunlight instead, which gets rid of the animation, the monster behavior in response, and the effect on adjacent cells. However, does have the environmental effects and it evaporates water so it would show me where the sunlight is presently being placed and then I could work on modifying that.

To say opinions vary on commenting is like saying opinions vary on spaces vs tabs, but I'm not good with almost totally uncommented code. I'm a systems engineer who uses code to simplify and automate, and I'm generally working with operational processes that need to be readable and maintainable by production support, which is to say sheep. To that end my general rule for my team is one should be able to reverse engineer what a function does by reading the comments. That can take the form of header or inline comments, but if you don't do either you marry understanding and maintaining the code to its creator(s).

The code is in general very good although it's a little too in love with step down functions for my feeble understanding. There are also some very nice devs who comment their work and making changes based on their code is a lot more fun:
pre:
+    //Gnolls don't get stat changes from items, so don't warn about stat zero
+    if(you.species == SP_GNOLL)
+        return true;
The data files are also good and it's quite easy to add a new item, monster, tile, etc. So I don't know that there would be much value in refactoring. But as far as my expertise with C goes, the lack of both internal and external documentation within the main DCSS code sets a very high bar for me for contribution. I would at least to expect to see comments showing the intended effect in the game. Also getting to actual code is often a matter of spelunking a rabbit hole maze of vaguely-named functions.

Maybe someone with more dev experience could give some tips like how to find where a function is defined.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The funny part of your post is that you like the dev who coded Gnolls, and that dev was also Floodkiller. :v:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

If that Gnoll check is still in the code, that should be taken out (that was for the statlocked version).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

The funny part of your post is that you like the dev who coded Gnolls, and that dev was also Floodkiller. :v:

That was deliberate, I followed the Gnoll saga in commits so I know FK writes readable code. So not even that part of the post is funny :negative:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Araganzar posted:

That was deliberate, I followed the Gnoll saga in commits so I know FK writes readable code. So not even that part of the post is funny :negative:

Well then. I suppose I'll go back to reading your posts while enjoying a bit of brandy and scoffing arrogantly as I read. :wotwot:

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Things nobody in this thread has asked to bring back:

• Permanent scroll and potion destruction from elemental damage. Felt bad, but fire crab / mottled drac encounters were exciting.
  • Permanent weapon and armor degradation from acid. IMO entropy weavers and caustic shrikes make up for the loss.
  • Contaminated and poisonous chunks. The food system became a complete waste of space when chunks were rendered harmless.
  • Old school Elyvilon. Full disclosure: I never played any version of Ely.
  • Arbitrary units of mass.
  • Wielding arbitrary items. Remember happened when you cast simulacrum while wielding a sausage? Remember Kiku + Sublimation of Blood?
  • Permanent undead minions.
  • Training skills.
  • Unpredictable expendable item identification.
  • Gnomes, Gray Elves.
  • D16-27
  • The Hive
  • e: Ignite poison. I'm not going to explain this one.
  • e: Clouds doing God's work beyond LoS.

perfluorosapien fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 15, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

yurtcradled posted:

• Permanent weapon and armor degradation from acid. IMO entropy weavers and caustic shrikes make up for the loss.
  • Contaminated and poisonous chunks. The food system became a complete waste of space when chunks were rendered harmless.
There's a reason for that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crawl had permanent undead minions?! You mean you didn't always have to resummon things for no reason?!6

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Crawl had permanent undead minions?! You mean you didn't always have to resummon things for no reason?!6

Yred still has them. It's only the spells that got the restriction (which was mainly blamed on Animate Skeleton allowing anyone to snowball and stash loads skeletons per floor if they felt like it).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

yurtcradled posted:

[*]The Hive

:wrong:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

yurtcradled posted:

You must not read the thread much. All of those I've been petitioning to bring back, as I felt they made the game more rogue-like. Except Gn/GE, who where cut before I got to play them, old Evy, as I've not played the new one seriously yet, and skills training upon usage, which was just poorly implemented and Lindsey has done better elsewhere.

Let me play devil's advocate for that list! I know most of them where removed for quality of life reasons, and QoL beats mechanics any day of the week, but here we go:

Scroll/potion poof: some enemies where dangerous on a strategic level, rather than tactical. See also: draining.
Armour corrosion: As above, but also there's some magic about artifacts and their permanence, about enchanting your favorite toy to +5 to make sure it's your precious forever etc. Gear being slowly consumed is a defacto in a LOT of RLs.
Poisoned Chunks: This might just be nostalgia. It really felt that the food system was more robust before, and bad chunks where a vote in favor of having a race that can eat them.
Aum: I still consider this unforgivable. Carry weight really makes you appreciate the stronger races, and likewise makes you feel like you're actually an anemic little wizard. Immersion! It was also cut looong before Str was used to counteract heavy armour penalties, so there was this dead space of Str being pointless.
Wielding items: They took this out!?
Undead: UD minions converted one permanent resource into another, and where distinct from mana-sourced ones. Especially the rough-start-but-snowball effect it had on clearing levels, which was cool.
Training skills: is fine by abstraction, but implemented poorly.
Item ID: The ID minigame is part of being a RL, it rewards clever play and has trade offs to early but less than ideal ID usages. I don't like the low effort zap-away approach we have now.
Hive: I pour malt for you! I don't care if it was easy =[
Later D: We still have, it's just called depths. Also shadow creatures won't spawn bats, thank god.
Clouds out of LoS: I still feel this is someone's irrational hatred of rewarding players for being clever. God knows the monsters don't suffer from that same rule.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I thought I asked about ignite poison. I love ignite poison! :)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Weight limits suck. In every game. Ever. Let me carry my tools around with me!:argh:

If I could I would straight up remove item carry limit in general.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Any advice for mid-game? I have yet to acquire a rune, let alone leave with the orb. I can clear the Lair and the Orcish Mines and then it's on to Swamp and Shoals unless I have the resists for Spider or Slime, and then I get eaten in one of those four. Part of it's impatience. Another part is my enthusiasm for eating or drinking mutation things. Any tips for survival?

I also went to Hell once because it was connected to Lair. Just once.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

World Famous W posted:

Weight limits suck. In every game. Ever. Let me carry my tools around with me!:argh:

If I could I would straight up remove item carry limit in general.

What sucked was things like wands weighing 10 lbs. Or if you were a large rock race. What I think it winds up meaning is races like spriggans and dark elves are a little more powerful than they should be because they were supposed to suffer burden issues without an investment in STR.

I actually didn't mind item destruction that much, I just would have liked that a certain amount of damage has to penetrate your armor so you didn't lose blink scrolls to flame tongue and other trivial sources of elemental damage. But it did leave to a lot of degenerative behavior like dropping all but a few scrolls or potions before certain areas or fights. And it made OOFs even more hellish.

I've watched the idea of what a "roguelike" is change dramatically while I've been playing crawl, I think it's helped people realize what features are are true staples of the genre and which are burdensome affectations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

queserasera posted:

Any advice for mid-game? I have yet to acquire a rune, let alone leave with the orb. I can clear the Lair and the Orcish Mines and then it's on to Swamp and Shoals unless I have the resists for Spider or Slime, and then I get eaten in one of those four. Part of it's impatience. Another part is my enthusiasm for eating or drinking mutation things. Any tips for survival?

I also went to Hell once because it was connected to Lair. Just once.
really
Slime Pits is Not midgame, unless you're really familiar with the game. Snake is mid-game.

I don't mind advising a goon playing online webtiles or ascii, but barring that...

Particular race, good, class etc you tend to lean towards? Pressing # will leave a dump you can trim and share or just link the whole thing on pastebin. Or share a couple of morgue files on pastebin.

Find some music that helps you play well, don't play after midnight and always remember to stop and look at ALL your inventory when panic sets in.

Be sure to hit mindelay on your weapon. a little stealth goes a surprisingly long way. Immolation scrolls are fantastic, and scrolls of fog are more useful than you would realize. Above all else, set your HP warnings higher and then use tab more while being comfortable about backing off and killing things elsewhere when the going gets rough.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Don't you make me break out the Berlin definition, because I will.

More seriously, you can find some good elements from a game, and take only those parts and incorporate them into something new, and that's great. Spelunky, FTL, etc are all great games, neither because nor in spite of their RL influences, but rather for their creators seeing something they liked and having it influence their new creations. Doesn't mean that old RLs are all trash, and sometimes their idiosyncrasies are part of their charm! An example would be ASCII; it's hard to defend in the year 2017 as a practical tool, with tty being positively arcane magic at this point. But I still play DoomRL in ascii, don't ask me why. You kind of just love the genre as a whole, overt player hostility and instakills included.

Edit: TYOOL 2018, get with the times old man geeez

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
So is this me just being awfully bad with all my builds or was (around 0.19 when was the last time I got into it) and still is the game MASSIVELY about luck with what you stumble upon equipment wise?

I mostly try to play Armour McSlabface stupidity like Centaur Fighter because I'm bad and having too many buttons is scary, and lately branched out into the HOT MAGIC zone by trying to get a hang of Gnoll Skald, and I get the impression that the depth I make it to (the best I ever had was IIRC 3 runes on a Fighter Formicid) is pretty much directly proportional to Good poo poo I Find For Free, namely urand weapons.

Like, most runs I really struggle to find a weapon that feels adequate for what I'm facing, yet some runs I just literally trip on poo poo like

which was just lying on the D:9 and suddenly catapulted me into ability to mow down anything and anyone I walk into.

So, am I missing some reliable ways of scoring actually good equipment, or am I just too bad at the game and should be always able to do with the basics dropped by enemies?

e: Oh and another thing; it really feels like they need to normalise the PRG because after making the post, I just walked into the halberd on the ground in D:10, and then the two modded scimitars (the flaming one will be super handy against hydras) from the next two groups of enemies I walked into. The Storm Dragon Scales were on the ground on D:9 too.

It really feels like on some runs you don't get a single good weapon, and on other runs, they're loving everywhere and you can hardly decide which one to use.

Teal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

There are no truly reliable ways to get good weapons. Okawaru and, Trog gift weapons, and are likely to give you a good one eventually, but probably not as soon as you want one, especially with Okawaru. If you aren't following those gods and have decent skill in your chosen weapon type, but don't have a good weapon, choosing weapon from a scroll of acquirement is a good bet. It's weighted towards weapons that you're skilled in of types you haven't found yet, meaning it has a solid chance to give you an end game weapon.

But you're pretty much guaranteed a weapon good enough to win the game with from enemy drops. Greatswords, glaives and battleaxes are all good enough to take through the whole game. Great maces are very common and are a top-tier weapon type. Getting really lucky with loot certainly makes the game easier, but it's absolutely possible to consistently win it with regular poo poo that you always find.

• Locked thread