Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh LizardWizard posted a new episode the one with LipSyncher(and I think the last original footage of Austin St John and They Trang? Maybe one more episode) he didn't mention it here yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Burkion posted:

One thing you can't take away from JDF, dude is still fit as hell.

I wish I had the motivation he does because I see him post his meals on Facebook sometimes and I think "I could tolerate eating like that for maybe a week. Maybe."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yo i started reading that boom comic and was kinda eh whatever on it and then they fuckin used the dragonzord to fly to the moon and i'm like yep OK this is officially good now.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh LizardWizard posted a new episode the one with LipSyncher(and I think the last original footage of Austin St John and They Trang? Maybe one more episode) he didn't mention it here yet

What part of

wasn't clear

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 7, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Turns out this episode is the one with the last original footage of Austin St. John, Thuy Trang and Walter Jones. Enjoy!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Are there any videos of the Japanese dub of MMPR floating around? I'm really curious as to what Zedd sounds like.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are there any videos of the Japanese dub of MMPR floating around? I'm really curious as to what Zedd sounds like.

Good question

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A couple years ago, Overtime 'subbed' the dub of Samurai for April Fool's Day. That was a good gag.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lizard Wizard posted:

There's a few videos of the morphing calls and the title theme. Most of the actors for everyone were just VAs that Sentai already used for monsters and the like.

The sweet part is that Soga came back to voice Rita's lines and moan about her headaches in Japanese, dubbed over the footage of her saying completely different Japanese words as Bandora. So we were at least blessed with her rendition of "Ah, after ten thousand years I'm free" rather than whatever she said in the original filming of that clip.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 12, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So I imagine they just dubbed the villain of Dairanger over Zedd probably?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So I imagine they just dubbed the villain of Dairanger over Zedd probably?

Nope! Wiki says it was someone named Hideo Ebihara.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The complete Japanese dubbed version of the MMPR movie was floating around :filez: places some years back. Don't remember where I got it from at the time but I eventually deleted it to make space since it was basically just a novelty that I never actually watched.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's somehow fitting that the American footage looks way way worse than the Japanese footage there. Like beautiful poetry.

Also digging the use of that Power Ranger pyramid attack for the title

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Craptacular! posted:

There's a few videos of the morphing calls and the title theme. Most of the actors for everyone were just VAs that Sentai already used for monsters and the like.

The sweet part is that Soga came back to voice Rita's lines and moan about her headaches in Japanese, dubbed over the footage of her saying completely different Japanese words as Bandora. So we were at least blessed with her rendition of "Ah, after ten thousand years I'm free" rather than whatever she said in the original filming of that clip.

That is the most meta thing I have ever heard of.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Holy poo poo, the VAs are seriously going all-in, this is :krad:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess I should mention the music for the end credits is something else, in more ways that one.

EDIT: Have some Japanese "Green With Evil" with foreign subtitles.

Star Man posted:

That is the most meta thing I have ever heard of.

Must have been weird for Soga, since everyone in Japan still thinks of her performance as Hedrian as the big definitive season-hopping villain, but this zany twist on her Zyuranger character hung around until the end of Ohranger and even came back by Megaranger. (Yes, they did get that far. The dub went all the way up to Countdown To Destruction before stopping.)

EDIT 2: how loving weird must this have looked.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 12, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgUfSQ9gSIs

what the gently caress

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My only complaint about any of this is that they did not render 'It's Morphin' Time!' in glorious butchered English.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

As an aside, I've always been torn on which is more ballsy: Tommy looking at a giant murderbot and deciding "I'm going to throw a goddamned fireball at you", or the Rangers going "Tommy is dangerous enough that assembling our giant murderbot isn't technically escalating a fight".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PMush Perfect posted:

My only complaint about any of this is that they did not render 'It's Morphin' Time!' in glorious butchered English.

That's why we were gifted the glory of Go-Busters.

LET'S DRIVING!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wait, second complaint. David Yost looks like his spirit is completely broken. :smith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Power Rangers dub question if anyone knows...

Jason, Zack, and Trini were voiced by the Zyuranger equivalents... When they switched to Rocky, Adam, and Aisha did they switch to the Dairanger? Was there not a second girl in Dairanger?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Power Rangers dub question if anyone knows...

Jason, Zack, and Trini were voiced by the Zyuranger equivalents... When they switched to Rocky, Adam, and Aisha did they switch to the Dairanger? Was there not a second girl in Dairanger?

There wasn't a second girl in Zyuranger either

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dairanger, like Zyuranger, had one woman. Both of them pink.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

Wait, second complaint. David Yost looks like his spirit is completely broken. :smith:

Shouldn't be. Fox replaced most of the production people from the TV show with their people, and gave them more perks and stuntmen (though JYB took on his own stuntwork when his stuntman got injured).

Maybe being in Australia sucked, but David seems to enjoy travel if his Instagram is any indication so who knows.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jason, Zack, and Trini were voiced by the Zyuranger equivalents...

Uh, no. As was mentioned, yellow was a man, and the guy who plays Geki was being Kamen Rider J at this time. Getting Soga back to speak Rita's lines was the big connection to Zyuranger.

It just occurred to me that they went to a much younger looking actress in season 2 and she still sounded like a granny in Japan. That dub must be so rich with irony if you're Japanese fluent and love toku.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 13, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: Lord Zedd does a necromancy, pumpkin rapping occurs, and two monsters are useless.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

pumpkin rapping occurs
:kheldragar:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: the baby. Strap in for a three-parter!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers: the baby. Strap in for a three-parter!

How long is that baby carriage segment before you cut it down? Felt like hours.

e: holy poo poo that Jason voiceover

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 15, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

Three minutes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Before there was that infinitely-long airplane runaway from that Fast And The Furious movie, there was an infinitely-long, all-downhill, near-frictionless Angel Grove park.

e: hey, here's a gif of JFG when he was on Sweet Valley High, another show from the era. :90sswoon:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 15, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I didn't want to mock a guy doing his thing on YouTube, but in my search for MMPR JP Dub videos, I found a Japanese guy in his bedroom of PR toys doing mock stunt moves and swinging a star toy around and doing the Ninja Steel morphing call (in English) while his phone or something played the Ninja Steel theme. (Edit: It's probably more appropriate to just link to the guy's channel because every video is loaded with charming nerdy moments and that way I don't feel like I'm picking on him.)

So yes, even in this age of paper-thin MMPR copies and Nickelodeon hiatuses and fart comedy, there are still "western otakus" or whatever who are as much interested in PR as their own shows.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 15, 2018

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sockser posted:

e: holy poo poo that Jason voiceover

I swear that might have been the moment that broke me as a kid. My favorite characters hadn't been around in ages, the fights were really bad, the megazord fights were even worse and now they were pushing three new kids really hard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's impressive to see just how bad the new actors were. I mean, they were just as bad as the old (with the exceptions of the few that could act), but considering how big Johnny Yong Bosch got, seeing his humble origins is something else, even if it'll always be the first role I think of when I think of him.

Also Jason's VA returns and is just as unfitting as ever, I love him. They should've kept him.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's in keeping with the show's original casting MO of getting people who could karate or do flips instead of people who could act.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Craptacular! posted:

I didn't want to mock a guy doing his thing on YouTube, but in my search for MMPR JP Dub videos, I found a Japanese guy in his bedroom of PR toys doing mock stunt moves and swinging a star toy around and doing the Ninja Steel morphing call (in English) while his phone or something played the Ninja Steel theme. (Edit: It's probably more appropriate to just link to the guy's channel because every video is loaded with charming nerdy moments and that way I don't feel like I'm picking on him.)

So yes, even in this age of paper-thin MMPR copies and Nickelodeon hiatuses and fart comedy, there are still "western otakus" or whatever who are as much interested in PR as their own shows.
This kid owns, he just looks like he's having the time of his life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JT Smiley posted:

I swear that might have been the moment that broke me as a kid. My favorite characters hadn't been around in ages, the fights were really bad, the megazord fights were even worse and now they were pushing three new kids really hard.
It wasn't the first time. They had been pushing Trini's Boyfriend/Romantic Interest for a bit, and Zach's cousin around the same time.

It seemed like They were going to become secondary characters for a bit then they get abducted/rescued and just disappear .

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

They were, apparently, meant to be red herrings for the identity of the White Ranger.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The subtext of them maybe being the white ranger is not really in the show, but was all over the marketing. White ranger was teased weeks in advance with a bunch of commercials featuring clips of these guys (and also skull) saying "Who could it be?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The subtext of them maybe being the white ranger is not really in the show, but was all over the marketing. White ranger was teased weeks in advance with a bunch of commercials featuring clips of these guys (and also skull) saying "Who could it be?"

Skull becoming the White Ranger would have been hilarious