Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

What's to stop him from firing behind himself as he runs away? Or to come back a minute later? Are police and armed security meant to stop firing every time a criminal turns away from them?

I feel like there is no good way to handle that type of situation. :(

It's spelled out by the fleeing felon rule

quote:

At common law, the fleeing felon rule permits the use of force, including deadly force, against an individual who is suspected of a felony and is in clear flight. Force may be used by the victim, bystanders, or police officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Common law?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Common law?

Yes- law backed by judicial decisions.

e:linked big

Ornamental Dingbat has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Jan 15, 2018

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

https://twitter.com/TitanicTD/status/952711421355315200

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Yes- law backed by judicial decisions.

e:linked big

Wow, I'd never have guessed that the Jews ruled over the seas

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Samuringa posted:

In reality, the hogs do.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I have a degree in criminal justice and did pre-law before switching majors- still didn't know that Louisiana is apparently governed by Napoleonic law :wtc:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Saints defender not only 110% whiffed on stopping the pass reception, but in the process of failing at that, also took out the only other teammate who could have prevented the Vikings’ touchdown. Quality schad.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Known Lecher posted:

Saints defender not only 110% whiffed on stopping the pass reception, but in the process of failing at that, also took out the only other teammate who could have prevented the Vikings’ touchdown. Quality schad.

What made it best was that 5 minutes later the officials forced everyone to stop celebrating and clear the field, come back to the game, and kick the meaningless extra point.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I have a degree in criminal justice and did pre-law before switching majors- still didn't know that Louisiana is apparently governed by Napoleonic law

Because it's not.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Another football one from a guy who doesn't follow football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XwmIhZbQfM

Edit: The comments have fantasy football players who are very confused about how to put this on his stats.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Jan 15, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah the insurance dude was the one I remember most. It was so cathartic to watch his to get his commupance.

My wife and I binged every episode and began to reevaluate our driving abilities. I feel like we learned a lot after we realized we couldn't solve some of the driving puzzles they gave, and it motivated us to be better.

The one that made me sad was the one where the husband was verbally abusing his wife every loving second. I don't think that was going away even though he changed his tone on the show. :smith:

From pages back but I always :allears: about Canada's Worst Driver (and also Handyman). Those two shows are so good they go a long way to redeeming reality shows as a whole.

Like, the bit that you're talking about at the end, where the guy just constantly yelled at his wife every moment she was in the car, and as soon as they kicked him out she was able to drive perfectly? That whole thing ended up with the host taking the husband out for a drive, and putting on a CD that was just a recording of every nasty thing he'd said to his wife (on camera!) over the past several days of filming. The guy came back in tears and turned over a new leaf, started either sitting silently or complimenting her, and his wife graduated the next episode with a perfect score :3:

Although yeah it's a super downer to realize that those kind of toxic relationships can't be fixed with one heartfelt moment on a TV series and it probably went right back when they left :smith:

My personal favorite though is the guy who, on his final driving test in downtown Toronto, pulls into a parking lot to take a piss between two other cars. Gets back in and the host is like "what, you sure you're done? Sure you don't wanna find another parking lot so you can take a dump?"

e: ha! found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBF-irt1Fek&t=1440s
this guy is so loving bad. literally can't even work an automatic transmission. the pissing is about 25:15

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Jan 15, 2018

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Phanatic posted:

Because it's not.

Yes, it is. The Napoleonic Code is a major influence in Louisiana law, since it was legally French soil for a few years.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Giraffe posted:

It was an article by Ian MacKenzie in the Huffington Post titled “Love Will Be The Death Of Us”. Here’s the link, although it appears to have been removed: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/love-will-be-the-death-of-us_b_10658650.html

Luckily, it was also pasted into the relationships thread:

There sure are a lot of people that initiate open relationships, only to become jealous that their significant other is... gasp! enjoying sex with other people! :jerkbag: They deserve what they get.

Makes me think of a wonderful analogy about open relationships:

quote:

Its like when you hit a deer with your car, so you pull over and get the shotgun out of your trunk. You stand over the deer and take aim as it struggles to breathe, but at the last second you lower the shotgun and ask "Hey I think we should open up our relationship".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sagebrush posted:

e: ha! found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBF-irt1Fek&t=1440s
this guy is so loving bad. literally can't even work an automatic transmission. the pissing is about 25:15

Is this guy actually retarded? I don't mean that insultingly, but this guy doesn't seem all there even for a fat older rural canadian.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

What made it best was that 5 minutes later the officials forced everyone to stop celebrating and clear the field, come back to the game, and kick the meaningless extra point.

Which they then took a knee on, so their victory was by 5 points.

The spread was 5.5

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baronjutter posted:

Is this guy actually retarded? I don't mean that insultingly, but this guy doesn't seem all there even for a fat older rural canadian.

I haven't seen that season yet but the start of Series 12 (the one I linked to earlier) they knew one guy had an acquired brain injury from a car accident which was severely impacting his driving ability but they later find out that one of the other drivers also had a brain injury from a crash that he hadn't told them about, and one of the other contestants was diagnosed with BPD after the show ended. A few of the other contestants also had massive anxiety issues, one was regularly panicking and 'blacking out' when traffic went over a certain speed to the extent that she couldn't remember what she'd done immediately after she'd taken action.
(Spoilered in case anyone has just started watching the older series and hasn't seen season 12 yet.)

So yeah, it's entirely possible that this guy has a psychological condition of some sort that he hasn't disclosed or which hasn't even been diagnosed yet. It's also possible that he might be really, really, really inexperienced (some of the later series had people who had only got their licence at age 40 or who had only been driving for a couple of weeks) and he might legitimately not know what he's doing but he's too stubborn to admit it so he just keeps making it up as he goes along.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Which they then took a knee on, so their victory was by 5 points.

The spread was 5.5

Holy poo poo. That's beautiful.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/zmG0y09.gifv

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Firearms are deadly weapons and police are trained to aim for center mass to maximize stopping power. Nobody aims with intent to wound, especially at someone who can shoot back.

That's not true everywhere. Finnish cops shoot to wound in most cases.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

doverhog posted:

That's not true everywhere. Finnish cops shoot to wound in most cases.

Could you cite any sort or evidence for that? 'Cos I'm really hoping Finnish cops aren't that stupid.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
In most places cops aren't street execution squads like in the US.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blacknose posted:

Training a person to "wound" is an idiotic expectation for someone who would maybe fire their weapon once or maybe twice in their career. Even *with* extensive training, the adrenaline spikes from being in an uncommon situation like that makes fine motor control (needed to "wound") impossible.

I mean, it's probably good to *tell* them "we're only teaching you wound with a weapon that was never intended to wound" is probably better for long-term recovery when they inevitably kill someone because precision aiming isn't on the table. At least they can honestly tell themselves "I was trying to wound"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Blacknose posted:

In Iceland it was a national tragedy when police fatally shot their first perp in 2013.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Could you cite any sort or evidence for that? 'Cos I'm really hoping Finnish cops aren't that stupid.

It's hard to get stats on exactly because Finnish police only shot at people 122 times in 10 years, and the last time they shot someone it started a national debate on the use of force by the police.

I know the Czech police train to shoot to wound.

https://www.policeone.com/use-of-force/articles/3468104-Shooting-center-mass-Im-told-we-kill-everyone/

We shoot centre of mass in the UK but that is largely down to the rules involved in getting to the point where you're shooting someone in the first place.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Cops are required to by law to follow "vähimmän haitan periaate", or the principle of the least amount of harm possible. I don't have access to actual police training records etc to show you, but for example when Abderrahman Bouanane did his terrorist attack in Turku last year, the cops shot him in the leg and he lived, and is still in prison.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, learn something new everyday. I really hope they're right, and cops aren't going to get shot in the head by someone they shot in the leg.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aramoro posted:

It's hard to get stats on exactly because Finnish police only shot at people 122 times in 10 years

That's 122 shots fired, by the way, not 122 incidents. 7 dead, 385 instances where one or more police pointed a gun at someone. I would've thought it was much lower :(

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Training a person to "wound" is an idiotic expectation for someone who would maybe fire their weapon once or maybe twice in their career. Even *with* extensive training, the adrenaline spikes from being in an uncommon situation like that makes fine motor control (needed to "wound") impossible.

I mean, it's probably good to *tell* them "we're only teaching you wound with a weapon that was never intended to wound" is probably better for long-term recovery when they inevitably kill someone because precision aiming isn't on the table. At least they can honestly tell themselves "I was trying to wound"

I don't think you 'get' law enforcement in the Europe in general. It may well be safer and more sensible to kill everyone you draw your gun on, but that's not what our police are for. They're there to deescalate a situation and cause as little harm as possible in the process, even if that mean putting themselves in danger. It's US police doctrine to kill everyone you point a gun at, but then again you kill almost a 1000 people a year so maybe that's not such a great doctrine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Welp, learn something new everyday. I really hope they're right, and cops aren't going to get shot in the head by someone they shot in the leg.

Because guns are outlawed, only cops have guns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Given the rather drastic rate difference in police deaths by shooting and deaths caused by police in shootings, I'm not going to give a single gently caress about this in the context of US police.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Technically the US has a doctrine of "minimum necessary force," but in practice that tends to be interpreted as "whatever force the cop thought was necessary was the minimum."

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm not entirely familiar with this but my understanding was that any use of a firearm is (rightly) considered lethal force and only permitted in the appropriate situations. Aiming for the leg is a discretionary choice that can be made by the officer if they feel they are sufficiently in control of the situation to attempt it, but any time you are firing a gun at somebody killing them is a likely outcome.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Sunswipe posted:

It's not actually all that dangerous a job there. From an article from 2016: "Two policemen have been killed in the line of duty in Finland since the beginning of 2000. In total, Finland has lost 130 on-duty police officers since becoming an independent country, the majority from 1918 until 1944."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This whole conversation boils down to the fact that it's impossible to explain the merits of oikeusvaltio to someone who thinks it's normal to live in a non-oikeusvaltio and has never in their entire life done anything to further the cause of turning their homeland into one. (Doesn't help that their native language doesn't even have a word for it.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aerdan posted:

Yes, it is. The Napoleonic Code is a major influence in Louisiana law, since it was legally French soil for a few years.

A correct statement: The Napoleonic Code is a major influence in Louisiana Law.

An incorrect statement: Louisiana is governed by Napoleonic law.

It's more accurate to say that Louisiana civil law and the Napoleonic Code share a common ancestor. Civil law began in Louisiana in 1712, it was governed under French law only until 1769, at which point French law was abolished and replaced by Spanish law. France (Napoleon) regained control of the territory on November 30, 1800, and sold it to the US who took possession on December 20, 1800; nothing had been done in that brief interval of French control to repeal Spanish law and replace it with French. The Napoleonic Code wasn't even a thing in France until 1804.

Louisiana private law is majorly influenced by the Napoleonic Code, French law, Spanish Law, Roman law, and regular common law. Louisiana administrative law is pretty similar to US admin law. Louisiana criminal law is pretty similar to common law. Napoleonic code is a major influence, but the state isn't governed by it.

Goon Danton posted:

It's not actually all that dangerous a job there.

It's not actually all that dangerous a job *here*. Groundskeeping is a far more dangerous job.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Jan 15, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

One thing to self-quote this article on:

quote:

"The nation does not want its police force to carry weapons because it's dangerous, it's threatening," Arnorsdottir says. "It's a part of the culture. Guns are used to go hunting as a sport, but you never see a gun."

In fact, Iceland isn't anti-gun. In terms of per-capita gun ownership, Iceland ranks 15th in the world. Still, this incident was so rare that neighbors of the man shot were comparing the shooting to a scene from an American film.

Iceland ranks 15th in the world in per-capita gun ownership, they're just not gun-crazy cowboys like Americans and views them more as tools than toys or political statements.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

This whole conversation boils down to the fact that it's impossible to explain the merits of oikeusvaltio to someone who thinks it's normal to live in a non-oikeusvaltio and has never in their entire life done anything to further the cause of turning their homeland into one. (Doesn't help that their native language doesn't even have a word for it.)

state with the rule of law
we don't have your fancyass compound poo poo in english, we gotta use more words

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jerry Cotton posted:

From what little I grasp of the Finnish language, the term "oikeusvaltio" can translate - depending on context - as "rule of law", "vaginal odor", "a sweet snack for children", "a dining table made from birch", or "a sexual position involving three people".
Google translate claims "rule of law", could you elaborate on the meaning? I'm actually curious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phanatic posted:

A correct statement: The Napoleonic Code is a major influence in Louisiana Law.

An incorrect statement: Louisiana is governed by Napoleonic law.

It's more accurate to say that Louisiana civil law and the Napoleonic Code share a common ancestor. Civil law began in Louisiana in 1712, it was governed under French law only until 1769, at which point French law was abolished and replaced by Spanish law. France (Napoleon) regained control of the territory on November 30, 1800, and sold it to the US who took possession on December 20, 1800; nothing had been done in that brief interval of French control to repeal Spanish law and replace it with French. The Napoleonic Code wasn't even a thing in France until 1804.

Louisiana private law is majorly influenced by the Napoleonic Code, French law, Spanish Law, Roman law, and regular common law. Louisiana administrative law is pretty similar to US admin law. Louisiana criminal law is pretty similar to common law. Napoleonic code is a major influence, but the state isn't governed by it.

That's why it's listed as mixed on that chart. A goon making a flippant statement about it after another goon makes a joke about jews governing the ocean should probably clue you in that it was meant as a small joke.