Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dusty Lens posted:

Not that it matters too much but that particular invention should be attributed to Disco "just here for my paycheck" Lando. Assuring his ascendance as he pinned the need for charging people more and the impossibility of assigning refunds for equipment to a non existent problem.

Thank you for setting my thoughts straight fellow commando. I actually had a tinge of duress when I questioned the tactics of the 17 companies and 5 community managers on how best to handle the matter when it comes to update a couple rows in database that is handed off to a 3rd party.

Time to pledge again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Aramoro posted:

I'm not sure why people listen so closely to Leonard J Cr..French. He worked for 9 years as a Software Developer, picked up a Law Degree from a second tier University, did an internship at a Civil Law Clinic before striking out on his own. Which has proven so successful he panhandles for dollars giving out legal opinions on Youtube. I mean he's surely got the legal chops to dismantle the arguments of:

James Pak - Columbia Law, fresh from suing Oculus Rift for $500 million.

Kevin Minnick - UCLA, successfully pursued actions against Wells Fargo and Toyota.

that's not counting the Partners

Anthony Sammi - With his paltry Cornell Law degree and industry awards of being one of the best litigators in the US last year.

Kurt Hemr - Harvard Law, Has successfully litigated against many companies in between doing pro-bono work for refugees.

It's the clearest example of confirmation Bias I think you can see. French agrees with the Acolytes of Roberts, therefore he is right.

I mean being Pro-CIG has almost certainly netted French thousands of dollars so I can respect the position he's taken.

Just had to correct something really quickly. French went to Widener University Law School. That's a bottom of the barrel, "Tier 3 Toilet" school (in fact, that school's current ranking almost makes it a clown-college-worthy 4th tier law school). Not even second tier. And his masters degree in IT is from a loving for-profit online school (University of Phoenix). Both of these facts demonstrate that he is a dumbass who couldn't get into better schools but has a decent bit of money (to pay the overpriced tuition of these lovely schools) to get nearly-worthless degrees on his wall.

Otherwise I think you are spot on.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7qjfbk/get_the_hell_out_of_the_kitchen/

A Silent Ruin thread mixed with 'It's an alpha' and a restaurant analogy, is currently the in the process of blowing up. I'm looking forward to reading all of the crazy once the mad rush of posting has slowed.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I think he's upset? FF to 27:26. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQhgkvcPAw

Ahhhhh my salt reserves are restored. Will Holden never fails to deliver, he's still sunk deep into it all, but can't help but rant on youtube about it. :five:

EDIT: For me 29:41 is the crux of it, really. Are you saying all those gamescom presentations might've actually been staged to make it appear as if it was smooth?! SAY IT AIN'T SO! :laffo:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 15, 2018

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

Interaction mode is hacked in and poorly tested.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...lass/contribute

I need someone who understands game development to translate this for me. Hacked how? What does this mean with regards to QT (if anything)?

Asking for a friend. tia.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thank you for setting my thoughts straight fellow commando. I actually had a tinge of duress when I questioned the tactics of the 17 companies and 5 community managers on how best to handle the matter when it comes to update a couple rows in database that is handed off to a 3rd party.

Time to pledge again.

Quoted the wrong shell company. Argument invalidated. 3.0 is good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MedicineHut posted:

I need someone who understands game development to translate this for me. Hacked how? What does this mean with regards to QT (if anything)?

My take on whats happening in this case is that the game forgot to switch him back into "shipmode" and he couldn't swap back into it because of bugs in the client or server (if the server needs to authorize that change between states).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This game loving sucks

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

This game loving sucks

Yeah, if it didn't we wouldn't be here buddy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh yeah? Prove it peter gabriel, with another series of videos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, if it didn't we wouldn't be here buddy.

OK, in that case this game loving owns

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

OK, in that case this game loving owns

Who owns what is for the courts and banks to decide.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

You recovered from the :catdrugs: Pgabz?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
People who genuinely still believe in Crobblz and play each build of this crap have it the worst.

Those who just back and then gently caress off until something eventually releases or until they forget all about funding this poo poo --whichever comes first-- are just blissfully oblivious.

Those who play for fun glitches and showing how terrible this is always have something new to discover.

But the believers and dreamers who keep playing the game hoping that their dreams are layered on code and Crobblz promises come through, they keep getting a cold shower and reality check. And then they go back to dreaming for a while until the next major disappointment.

And the good news is: as this progresses and the project shifts from dreams and promises to "here take this and shut up", there's only more salt for them in store.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AutismVaccine posted:

Which will come first:

SC release or Ben reaching 500kg?

Depends. Does that mean he's lost weight or gained it?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Is posting this guy a violation of the anime rule? Because this guy is literally anime in live action.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

MedicineHut posted:

Hacked in this context: slapdash, rushed, poorly implemented, half-assed, needs to be re-written, //TODO: FIXME, etc

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Who is the poor bastard still there? Unless that is the emergency "The plebs are storming the office! Quick to the escape vehicle!" car they have the cash and passports along with disguises for the Crobs stashed.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

MedicineHut posted:

Putting the user in a "mode" is always dangerous because what happens when you interact with something that was expecting a different mode. In this case they've got the user stuck because they somehow missed the normal way of exiting that mode, because it was just kinda hacked in without covering all the bases of "if a user clicks off screen, do this", "if a user presses escape, close the mobiglass and exit the mode", etc.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 15, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Titanic posted:

Is posting this guy a violation of the anime rule? Because this guy is literally anime in live action.

It's an impressive hairdo for a junior developer.
Bets on how many months in CIG till he goes bald?

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Aramoro posted:

I'm not sure why people listen so closely to Leonard J Cr..French. He worked for 9 years as a Software Developer, picked up a Law Degree from a second tier University, did an internship at a Civil Law Clinic before striking out on his own. Which has proven so successful he panhandles for dollars giving out legal opinions on Youtube. I mean he's surely got the legal chops to dismantle the arguments of:

Kevin Minnick - UCLA, successfully pursued actions against Wells Fargo and Toyota.

Anthony Sammi - With his paltry Cornell Law degree and industry awards of being one of the best litigators in the US last year.

Kurt Hemr - Harvard Law, Has successfully litigated against many companies in between doing pro-bono work for refugees.

It's the clearest example of confirmation Bias I think you can see. French agrees with the Acolytes of Roberts, therefore he is right.

I mean being Pro-CIG has almost certainly netted French thousands of dollars so I can respect the position he's taken.

Man, you're missing the narrative. Skadden lawyers didn't write the claim, Crytek did, they're just putting their names and signatures on the documents and that's all.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Aramoro posted:

The problem here though is I don’t think these guys have ever gone up against the Reddit lawyers, who have already proclaimed victory for CIG as the underdog.

I still think the best outcome here is CIG loses, and they get wiped out, but it’s still not enough to cover their legal fees and CryTek is also wiped out. I really don’t care who wins so long as they both lose somehow. That feels like the right thing and that justice prevailed.

Hoping one scummy company beats another scummy company in a lawsuit is like betting on dog fights. Everybody doing it should feel bad and sad and ashamed.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Bootcha posted:

NEED

Someone find me the old Bomber Bros poster recruitment poster of the "?" blacked out bomber.

The "We don't know what it'll look like, cool we guess?" one.

If anyone can auth me on the goonrathi forums, I will dig around in there.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

I've been rubbing a lot with mustard lately.

Maybe I'll upload some pictures later.

:allears:

We need a new SurfaceDetail to surface.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kilus aof posted:

Skadden? More like Skaven the rat people from Warhammer.

Good comparison!

The Skaven won.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

no_recall posted:

OK, so the sale finally ends today.

By the numbers:
2017-12-22 $68,832
2017-12-23 $188,723
2017-12-24 $190,559
2017-12-25 $152,451
2017-12-26 $147,661
2017-12-27 $149,847
2017-12-28 $141,118
2017-12-29 $143,248
2017-12-30 $128,102
2017-12-31 $135,254
2018-01-01 $105,806
2018-01-02 $108,695
2018-01-03 $100,408
2018-01-04 $95,074
2018-01-05 $100,820
2018-01-06 $127,076
2018-01-07 $114,727
2018-01-08 $109,713
2018-01-09 $77,598
2018-01-10 $64,933
2018-01-11 $56,741
2018-01-12 $62,683
2018-01-13 $44,901
2018-01-14 $66,001

Total : $2.68M

I'll announce the winners once the final numbers are in the spreadsheet.

Looks like we might just have a tie for winners if the numbers don't move too much.

im so excite!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AbstractNapper posted:

It's an impressive hairdo for a junior developer.
Bets on how many months in CIG till he goes bald?

They should be honored to have Noctis coding up stuff for them. I hope he is as awesome as his anime hair.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sillybones posted:

What could sour the perception of this project for the remaining cultists?

Finishing anything at all would probably do it. Remember the golf swing scanning incident? The backers think they were upset because a golf swing mechanic is bad and dumb but I'm pretty sure they were actually upset because it was a mechanic at all. It came dangerously close to pinning some design detail down and that cut off whole avenues of theory crafting. Suddenly Star Citizen was supposed to be a video game again rather than the cyber-rapture for hyper-suckers which they paid for.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

I don't know. The vaccine episode would kind of fall flat with only white dudes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nyast posted:

Man, you're missing the narrative. Skadden lawyers didn't write the claim, Crytek did, they're just putting their names and signatures on the documents and that's all.

How very Chris Roberts of them

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Who wore it best??

quote:

So in recent posts when I claimed SC is the next gen of space exploration games and is doing something new, I got everything but death threats from several people, many claiming that "many games already do what SC is trying to do. The technology already exists!" Many people mentioned the three other games in this picture. So here's a comparison.

Quick note: I am NOT attacking these other games. I am an avid ED player and Empyrion is an indie game. I am posting this for the several people that argued in earlier posts that Star Citizen is trying to do what these games have already done. So, if the tech already exists, why does every SC screenshot look like a Nasa photo? Granted Elite can be beautiful too. But then again, you can't get out and walk around in Elite.

This thread is amazing and has it all, including a huge chain complaining about how bad the Elite: Dangerous community is for being mean to Star Citizen and also talking about how lovely E:D is compared to SC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7qgguw/who_wore_it_best/

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

In about three years we'll either be able to convincingly recreate pretty much any episode of Star Trek or be able to take off from our 2013 hangars.

It's a coin flip at this point really.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

You know. I've seen a lot of funding breakdowns and a lot of "what's in production" but I don't think I've ever seen a real breakdown of how many concept art pieces CIG produces per year and when they're most often produced.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

If anyone can auth me on the goonrathi forums, I will dig around in there.

You’ve been approved. Turn to page 7 of your Tactics Handbook and your password is found on paragraph 6 word 42.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Galarox posted:

You recovered from the :catdrugs: Pgabz?

I can taste colours

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

The Titanic posted:

You’ve been approved. Turn to page 7 of your Tactics Handbook and your password is found on paragraph 6 word 42.

Don't bother with this, the password is always PARP. And if it doesn't work, then complain until they make it so!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

Don't bother with this, the password is always PARP. And if it doesn't work, then complain until they make it so!

OPSEK!!!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Dusty Lens posted:

In about three years we'll either be able to convincingly recreate pretty much any episode of Star Trek or be able to take off from our 2013 hangars.

We can already do at least one!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dusty Lens posted:

Which side of the coin is "be found dangling from a beam in the basement when we realise we've been conned by a thumb faced huckster"

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

We can already do at least one!

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Virtual Captain posted:

I think the tracker and perhaps even my posting have subconsciously been led by some desire to highlight how bad the foundation and current state of the game is. Thinking that at some point backers would start demanding real progress. Yesterday I saw a thread titled "Frame rate a “major” focus for 3.1! Check latest ATV." and that's when it hit me. The thing could crash instantly for the entire playerbase and they'd be absolutely fine as long as their belief session shows still air. Some people ITT tried to play last week and of the three people that got past the loadscreen, I think one managed to get in their ship, so by my count this has basically already happened. Many backers fully admit they do not install new patches, as they prefer dream crafting with their favorite streamer over playing what actual gets delivered. I finally got it, these people are absolutely in a belief cult.

I think Star Citizen might be the start of a new concept, where a company accept money from people to put out fake artwork, fake ingame models, fake alphas, fake weekly development progress updates just so people can pretend to look forward to the game of their dreams. For an extra fee you can pretend to be a well respected member of the fake games' community and flame evil detractors on fake message boards.