Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Asuke/Rousey would be cool at SS or the next WM. Right now Asuka isn't over enough on the main roster to make it feel big.

That said, I don't want to give WWE a year to gently caress up Asuka, so bring on the dream match!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Asuke/Rousey would be cool at SS or the next WM. Right now Asuka isn't over enough on the main roster to make it feel big.

That said, I don't want to give WWE a year to gently caress up Asuka, so bring on the dream match!

I'm very wary of Asuka/Rousey. WWE is dumb enough to feed Asuka to Rousey, who is likely going to be working a Brock Lesnar like schedule at best. If the RAW Women's Division is bad now, just wait until after Rousey debuts and only shows up once every 4 months with the belt. There may as well not be a Women's Division after that.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If Asuka isn't over enough after over 2 years of being undefeated to make a match with one of the biggest stars in fighting history feel big, then she should be fed to Ronda because those years have resulted in her being a net negative.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Oh I'm totally with you there and think Ronda kill the division. Not through any fault of Rousey herself, just through WWE burning every resource they have on a slightly relevant mainstream star.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If Asuka isn't over enough after over 2 years of being undefeated to make a match with one of the biggest stars in fighting history feel big, then she should be fed to Ronda because those years have resulted in her being a net negative.

I'd say people generally over estimate how much NXT overness translates onto the main roster. That's just my cynical opinion though.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 15, 2018

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I'd also like to mention that Stephanie has started posting workout videos on twitter/instagram, which means she's likely gearing up for a return to the ring soon. She'll probably be in the Royal Rumble, and its not unlikely that she eliminates Ronda, setting up a feud for Wrestlemania. It also helps that Batista wants to return to WWE supposedly. So you can have Ronda/Batista vs Stephanie/Triple H at Wrestlemania.

Also Asuka was over on NXT. Really over. And she was over at Survivor Series and the night after. The problem is that WWE decided to not strike while the iron was hot. Along with the fact that WWE pushes whoever they want, and they obviously don't give a poo poo about crowd reactions.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

no one talking about Lashley apparently doing a bow at TNA? was it an obvious angle or something or do people just legit not care about what that dude does next

Everyone has known for a while he'd be done with the company soon and going off to either MMA fulltime or WWE. His and EC3's deals were up around the same time

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'd say people generally over estimate how much NXT overness translates onto the main roster. That's just my cynical opinion though.

It's not a question of NXT overness. A Ronda Rousey fight is bigger than Wrestlemania. Ronda vs. pretty much anyone in WWE, especially at their biggest show of the year, would be a big deal, so if Ronda/Asuka isn't big, it's because Asuka is dragging Ronda down hard.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

It's not a question of NXT overness. A Ronda Rousey fight is bigger than Wrestlemania. Ronda vs. pretty much anyone in WWE, especially at their biggest show of the year, would be a big deal, so if Ronda/Asuka isn't big, it's because Asuka is dragging Ronda down hard.

Oh right I getcha, I misinterpreted what you meant.

What's EC3 looking to do then? WWE voiced any interest?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

I think the problem is that Asuka and Ronda shouldn't be facing off at Wrestlemania this year. It'll end up damaging either Ronda or Asuka. And in a sane world, Asuka would be seen as a valuable asset, considering she can drag a good match out of nearly anyone. (I say nearly because Nia and Alexa are both absolute garbage)

My concern is that Ronda is going to run roughshod over the WWE Women's division, damaging it beyond repair. And its a very valid concern knowing WWE booking. Also you'll have some people who are really pissed off that Ronda comes in and crowned the queen of the women's division despite having literally no wrestling experience. She has combat sport experience, but I don't think she'll be anywhere near the draw WWE thinks she will be.

Remember when people were excited that Lesnar was returning from the UFC and thought he would be a big draw? Well he barely moved the needle, and is now an active detriment to the RAW Division. I fully expect the same to happen with Ronda.

As for Asuka not being over, that's not her fault. Blame WWE booking for that. They shouldn't have had her go in a competitive match on her main roster debut, along with not striking while the iron was hot after Survivor Series.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 15, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Definitely WWE-bound

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asuka is old and can't talk. She's at her limit, feed her to Stephanie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Definitely WWE-bound

Probably for the New Orleans Takeover rather than Philly though, since they need some time to collect some clean Russian piss so he can pass a physical.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Shinsuke winning the Romble would be a great way to get him back on track to being a top guy so of course WWE won't do that.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Not being that guy but I said on here long ago EC3 and Lashley would be released earlier than July time.

Oh right I getcha, I misinterpreted what you meant.

About two years ago I said WWE had a lot of interest in EC3 and Spud. They were the two they'd take immediately if TNA ended around the time of the Billy and Dixie drama. Around that time it was still though Galloway was blackballed from WWE forever.

To answer your question EC3's offer IS an NXT contract.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
IF Ronda is in the Rumble shouldn't she be announced for the match with 2 Raws to go? Having her as a surprise is a bit of a waste IMO.

I was personally told around New Years Rousey is "one and done" in terms of how many matches she would work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nakamura winning the Rumble would just be like Orton last year, with the Rumble winner getting the #3/#4 match on the card for the secondary title.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Unlike Orton / Wyatt, this match would probably be the best one on the card

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Unlike Orton / Wyatt, this match would probably be the best one on the card

have you seen Nakamura wrestle lately

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Feels Villeneuve posted:

have you seen Nakamura wrestle lately

Eh, he's been tied to Jinder/Orton for like 8 months.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He's probably capable of dialing it up to have a great match to be fair, but in the last 12 months I'm not sure I'd even put him top-10 in the company if you include NXT.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Are they planning to take the strap off Styles or is there some reason why Styles couldn't carry Nak to at least 4.5 stars

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He's probably capable of dialing it up to have a great match to be fair, but in the last 12 months I'm not sure I'd even put him top-10 in the company if you include NXT.
He’s had 2 good matches since going to SDL and both were TV matches

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Basically whenever Nakamura didn't have a lead weight around his neck last year, he was great. He even managed to squeeze great TV matches out of Ziggler and Corbin.

Also, whoever wins the Rumble is going 3rd from the top, so what does that matter. That has nothing to do with Nakamura, it's just the stupid corner they've booked themselves into.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

At least with Nak people will be happy with the Rumble winner and it's been a few loving years since that's happened and no Randy fuckin Orton doesn't count

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Orton was really people being happy with the Rumble loser.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Outside of the G1 in NJPW Nakamura was mostly about one amazing match every 2 or 3 months plus if its Styles/Nakamura there's no way it'll be a bad match unless they only give them 9 minutes or something

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I agree that it's dumb how the rumble winner has been marginalized in terms of card placement at mania, especially when by all indications the main event is either Cena vs. Undertaker (a dream match that will probably not be very good between the two most established stars in the company) or Brock vs. Roman (the third, desperate attempt to legitimize Roman in front of the people who hate him most).

That said though, winning the rumble is a rub Nakamura could use that Roman doesn't need at all, so from a storyline/booking perspective it makes sense. At the same time, either of the other two matches I just mentioned have more marquee value than Nakamura vs. AJ does. It sucks, but it's true.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
regardless of whether or not he's the last man standing if nak gets to transition skinning the cat into his entrance pose i'd call him the spiritual winner.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Haven't watched WWE in ages, but is Roman still getting boos or have we reached the moment now where hes met with complete indifference?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gorn Myson posted:

Haven't watched WWE in ages, but is Roman still getting boos or have we reached the moment now where hes met with complete indifference?

Still boos but less so than post-mania. He's actually had some decent matches recently now that he's been defending the IC belt instead of hanging in the main event.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gorn Myson posted:

It's basically a re-run of 2016 where after he pissed hot and got demoted to the midcard for a few months, people stopped hating him quite so vociferously, then around Mania season he went right back to pinning everybody people actually like (Remember Fastlane 2016?!) so the hate went right back to the top.

Since the Fall, he's been in the midcard and messing around with the Shield, so it's mostly okay with the added rubs of A) He's actually defending his midcard title this time! B) People are screaming at the top of their lungs how great it was every time he has a passable TV match. Pretty soon he'll be gearing up to main event Mania, so the hate'll work itself back up accordingly.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

if you're all about in-ring work and watch wwe, Roman is legit one of the top 5 dudes

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

if you're all about in-ring work and watch wwe, Roman is legit one of the top 5 dudes

I mean if you're going to limit it to Raw and also discard 205 Live this is a statement that could potentially be correct I guess.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Based solely on match quality in the last, like, six months or so and done purely in a vacuum, I guess you could make that argument, but that's a whole lot of asterisks. I can pretty easily think of five guys each from Raw, SmackDown, 205 Live and NXT that I'd put ahead of Roman that just don't get the benefit of wrestling against top tier workers all the time, getting 10+ minutes every week and getting relatively clean finishes to their matches. And probably five women, too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Top tier workers like the Miz, the Drifter and Braun Strowman

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean if you're going to limit it to Raw and also discard 205 Live this is a statement that could potentially be correct I guess.

nobody watches 205 Live, and I said "Top 5" for a reason

this also includes woman

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

roman reigns push is crap but holy hell, just say you don't like the guy and his booking sucks and is alienating for the majority of fans. don't pretend he can't go in the ring

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Usos are probably more consistently great tv/ppv match wrestlers in the last 12 months. Probably AJ though I haven't really been watching SmackDown. Absolutely nobody on the Woman's side comes to mind.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

AJ Styles and The Usos are the best in the company. Becky Lynch would be if they actually booked her. Charlotte is there as well. Plus KO and Sami

EDIT: on the flip side of the coin The Miz is the best promo in WWE right now even if his matches aren't the best

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's guys like Joe and Kevin Owens but it's notable that their best matches in the last year have been with Roman lol