Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Mustached Demon posted:

I finally got a set of 5 units to 6*/lv100 at least.

You'll get there soon enough. I remember you pulled Barb AND Christine which are both very good. I would have killed to have units as good as either of those when I started off.

For the longest time my party was two Fohlens and three Y'shtolas (free Titan raid 5*). And Fohlen was never really that good at the PvE stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Office Thug posted:

You'll get there soon enough. I remember you pulled Barb AND Christine which are both very good. I would have killed to have units as good as either of those when I started off.

For the longest time my party was two Fohlens and three Y'shtolas (free Titan raid 5*). And Fohlen was never really that good at the PvE stuff.

Yeah dual cast tornado has been great for various story line missions that require limit breaks or espers. Plus, you know, trivializing the content.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah dual cast tornado has been great for various story line missions that require limit breaks or espers. Plus, you know, trivializing the content.

Yeah, unless you kill the thing before you can fill the especially gauge. #sixstarproblems

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

everyone who didnt start in the past month and a half should have a free prodigys goggles which means anyone has garnet within reasonable access to making esper summons not an issue

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are skipping the ffix event for some reason and are jumping into the FFXII one which is like 5 banners ahead of what japan had. Its going to have Basch and a global enhanced Balthier so overall a much better banner than the IX.

Also the blonde bazooka olive is getting her enhancements in the Feb batch, which probably coincides with fhe rest of the chinese new year banner ones.

E what are the chances that the new years banner 5* being a cover phys mag tank like Basch?

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 15, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
From the reddit thread:

quote:

From the YouTube Channel
01:34 - Event & New Units

Final Fantasy 12: (JP Reference)
5★ Basch - 5★ Balthier - 4★ Vayne - 4★ Drace - 3★ Larsa
JP Megathreads: Event | Gacha

"The global version of Balthier is actually going to get a special buff on him, that will enable him to get access to his more powerful locked ability a lot more easier, and a bit more buffs here and there, but I'll let you find out on your own."

08:45 - Chamber of Arms

Elnath - JP Megathread

Reward: [Mace] Mace of Zeus
+110 ATK +98 MAG
Grant Skill: Ultima Blow [52 MP]
AoE 500% 1 Hit Hybrid Damage

11:49 - Q&A

When is Olive's enhancements coming??
Next month. (Next batch?)

Is there any possibility for us to get limited time characters again?
Like SoM/Nier.
There will be other events for these characters, can't say when.
Nier is very popular.

We're never going to see another single base 5* banner again are we?

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 15, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd say the JP version was worse because it had an actual trap 5* in Garbanth while Balthier can be pretty good. I mean if the global exclusive improvements are good, I'd say he'd still be better than garbanth since he's one of those weird counter tanks no one likes.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It's really odd to skip right to the ff12 banner as it means skipping very big banners: ff9, which may not be important to the game meta but has fan favorite units that people would still pull for, although it does have the first of the modern summon units in eiko; CG Sakura, top JP mage until 7*; ff10, same as ff9 and has the second modern summon init; CG Fina, who is the biggest whale bait until 7*

E: threw a couple more tickets at Kings Knight to try for magic dh man:.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 15, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean its not like they aren't going to do these banners eventually. The thing is that there doesnt seem to be a noticeable reason to skip these banners in favor of continuing the normal schedule unless they think that Balthier being a finisher would have sales impacted after CG Sakura comes out whose also a very strong finisher. That or whatever is in the next set of global exclusive units also has roles that impact the coming banners and they'd rather people spend money on them rather than the regular units.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I would imagine they released it because Balthier is several months behind

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Which never made sense in the first place.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Tengames posted:

Gladly! test results:
You know how in ff6, shadow's interceptor was basically a modified status effect, and though a specific skill, could give that status effect to another party member? I *think* it's the same thing here. It looks like, all moves that unlock/grant another move are just self buffs that give the unit the ability, and this glitch involves the unit using a self buff after being killed, so the game's coding goes "well that unit's dead, gotta find another target" and picks a random party member to apply the buff too.

which unit recives the buff is random, unless only one unit is left alive, then its that one. it is not effected by provokes either innate, 100% or otherwise. If all units are dead/hiding/in the air, then the caster's corpse gets buffed.
The glitch can be combined with rikku's LB to revive everyone after performing the trick, though the surviving unit will need to rebuff everyone.

this works with any buff, or ability that unlocks more abilities.

it even works with noctis's warp strike, granting point blank-warp strike to a random person, and he can use it the very turn you do the glitch.

using Trance terra's buff skill wont give the 0 mp chaos wave, but using the glitch while she casts that 0 mp chaos wave gives the other unit awakened chaos wave for the rest of the battle, giving her a chaining partner.

this does not transfer over abilities from combo systems, like soleil's dances or prishe's combo system. However, The Prishe special is an unlocked ability, and can be transfered over.

Damage stacks from abilities that power up from each use transfer over. Will have to see if i can abuse this with emperor's fire from below...as soon as rem comes back from the expedition.

is this exploitable? Not likely by most people. It's a lot of setup and killing party members just to stick a skill on a unit that shouldn't have it. additionally, although Rikku can make everyone autorevive, you need some way to rebuff everyone so they survive, unless its a 10 unit trial, then you could just swap out the corpses next turn. You could just leave everyone alive, and then reset the app until the unit you want to get the buff recives it by random chance. There's probably a hilarious setup where you give Rem Emperor's fire from below stacks, which then combine with her dual wield and killers to just absolutely wreck a boss in one shot.

Haha nice! All kidding aside, I do love reading about when game logic does stuff like this. Thanks for doing all that!

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Balthier buffs might make him pretty good. He's a finisher unit virtually identical to VoF, except he imbues+imperils Light/Lightning/Water/Fire whereas VoF handles Dark/Earth/Wind/Fire. The main differences between the two is Balthier can't use Fixed Dice and doesn't come with a strong counter imperil like VoF, but you can still slap "Machine Gun+" on him with a TDH build which is basically the second best non-elemental 2-handed weapon in the game due to its 120 ATK with unusually high variance (130-170%). And everyone and their loving dog has pulled at least a dozen Jeans.

And I'm kind of excited for his buffs. They might give him the Fohlen treatment and just release him with a pre-enhanced ability, specifically Killer Shot which goes from a simple 5x mod 1-hit move to a 6x mod 1-hit that also unlocks his version of Full Charge Stomp (10x mod 1-hit) for one turn (or use?). If they do that he'll have one of the strongest average skill rotation damage mods in the game, on top of being able to imbue himself + imperil stuff, and literally all his moves being 1-hit abilities which are perfect for finishing.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

PaybackJack posted:

From the reddit thread:

Is there any possibility for us to get limited time characters again?
Like SoM/Nier.
There will be other events for these characters, can't say when.

drat you GUMI, Just give me Riesz already you bastards.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Beat Sheratan by the skin of my teeth. Everybody on my first squad was dead with Sherry at 58%, except for Emperor at 1 HP. One more FFB took it to 49% and the flowers came out and blew him up. The next 5 were swapped in and immediately ohko'd the rest with an Tornado/Bahamut chain.

They need a players choice banner with Ayaka like yesterday.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I forgot I had a 4* banner, and this morning I decided I'd like the dinosaur. Did the ticket pull and failed, so I made the wise choice to keep pulling normal tickets until one turns gold, and then I'd stop.

Before the gold, two rainbows.

DUAL RAY JACKS

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm fine with them dropping the FF12 banner now. There's nobody on it I want and the TMRs are also garbage so I can continue my streak of not pulling, though I guess I have to break that if it's a KM event because loving grinding out event currency without at least 300% bonus.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pretty sure its a king moogle event

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

FF12 is being released on Steam Feb 1 so that's probably why its banner cut in line

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Mage City! We have Mages! And that's all!

Minor improvements to be made, such as getting a Dual Wield for Christine and giving her Malboro Tentacle. Forgot to equip Acceptance on GLS, too lazy to rescreenshot everything. TT will get a Sorcery or Drace's sword soon enough.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Scrublord Prime posted:

FF12 is being released on Steam Feb 1 so that's probably why its banner cut in line

Maybe I can finally check it out.

Odd that the remaster never came out on Xbox...

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I rented the remaster. Was quickly reminded of why I didn't like the game, returned it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also the blonde bazooka olive is getting her enhancements in the Feb batch, which probably coincides with fhe rest of the chinese new year banner ones.

:hellyeah:

Hopefully her enhancements are going to put her back on top of the finisher mountain.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Maybe I can finally check it out.

Odd that the remaster never came out on Xbox...

good news, it has denuvo, for your protection!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hopefully her enhancements are going to put her back on top of the finisher mountain.

My pre enhancement T.Terras + Olive friends carried me through months of content and I'd love to go back to those days. Even though I have gotten two of her recently, I just dont feel like making a single hand finisher without Cloud's TMR, since a whale friend can cover for that.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm scared that Balthier with his GL buffs might overshadow her. But all she needs is the Demon Rain treatment and she'll be great (massive TDH passive).

I'm also really hoping Sparky will be turned into a 2-handed weapon, or given 2-hander damage variance. That was such a simple mistake gumi made when introducing damage variance that made her actually really good again for like a week.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I know man I really hoped that they had meant for Sparky to have it. Makes a lot of sense to keep the unit viable but hey man don't let that get in the way of telling me to gently caress myself Gumi

Then they're like "no we heard you! welcome to the new TDH meta! Stock up!"

and then I hard pulled on it (for me, which is just I used all my in game resources darn it) to get four rainbows that aren't cloud or elf, so, the point of all this is just that gacha is a joke and I am not that bright y'all, none too... none too sharp

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Office Thug posted:

I'm also really hoping Sparky will be turned into a 2-handed weapon, or given 2-hander damage variance. That was such a simple mistake gumi made when introducing damage variance that made her actually really good again for like a week.

Man I hope not. I was planning on stapling Sparky to my 7* Lightning down the road to give her a weapon that's both lightning and triggers her gun mastery.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

What amount of double hand/true double hand bonuses would it take for something like Monster Breastplate to outdo Apron Dress on Olive?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Skyridge posted:

What amount of double hand/true double hand bonuses would it take for something like Monster Breastplate to outdo Apron Dress on Olive?
Not much.
Olive has an innate 75% ATK equip bonus when using a gun.
Sparky adds 50% equip bonus for doublehand.
Buster style for 100% more
Marshall glove for 50%
Double hand materia for 50% buts you over by 25%.

Probably worth it to keep Apron dress and replace the actual double hand materia with ATK 30% or greater.

Re: Bathier being better than Olive

This pretty much has to be the case, though it sounds like he won't immediately outdamage her but will have a modificiation to his ramp skill so he can after a turn or two. That's fine, power creep has to exist. I'm prepared for Olive to be shelved until 7* comes along.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 16, 2018

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
welp, just blew 67 tickets chasing Kaliva
After 52 summons of pure, utter garbage, I saw 3 rainbows in my last 15 summons before finally getting Kaliva.
Hope that was worth it! :negative:

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Trilin posted:

welp, just blew 67 tickets chasing Kaliva
After 52 summons of pure, utter garbage, I saw 3 rainbows in my last 15 summons before finally getting Kaliva.
Hope that was worth it! :negative:

Honestly, that's not a bad lot. Gladio and Ray Jack may be bad units, but Gladio's TMR is still the best physical tank shield in the game while you basically get Ray Jack's TMR for free and it's pretty good!

And Onion Knight? Still on top of physical DPS mountain right now,.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Also I tested out Hide + Olive's Mortar Beacon and it works like a charm. I'm now sort-of farming the story event with an all Xon + 1 Olive party, with the Xons spamming Lie Low and Olive using Hide until her Mortar hits on the 3rd turn and wipes all the regular poo poo.

Mini-bosses require chaining with the Xons + capping with Olive to kill. You can technically use Xon's Toxic Dagger for that with Coral Swords but the timing is super difficult and you can only really cap that with True Shot. For Olive's LB, pod-chaining with coral swords is the way to go.

One fun thing I found it is that LB-per-turn stuff like Marshall Gloves will keep generating LB even while the unit is hiding. So my Olive usually reaches the mini-bosses with full LB without having to do poo poo.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Do Flash Grenade or Grapeshot not do enough damage to kill the mooks?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Skyridge posted:

Do Flash Grenade or Grapeshot not do enough damage to kill the mooks?

Yeah but then you have to deal with MP issues, I just prefer hitting repeat as much as possible.

Still, Olive kind of just can't kill the boss even if you chain-cap her and she's BiS-geared, so the run isn't fool-proof. The boss has stupid DEF, cannot be broken, and can just AoE-spam your party to death if given the chance. It's like he's designed to counter Xon parties. As a failsafe I have a 100% Evade Xon that can just slowly kill the boss if Olive and the rest can't quite make it, but most of the regular mobs before the boss will just annihilate him if he's by himself.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Cleared 5 slots, friend me jerks

Johnny Nomad
Feb 18, 2004

If anyone wants an enhanced old man, I've got about 15 slots open - 431,125,978

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug
I sent both of you a request from Iadria. If anyone else has spots for a newer player, my code is 206,455,829 :)

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Slack Motherfucker posted:

I sent both of you a request from Iadria. If anyone else has spots for a newer player, my code is 206,455,829 :)

Sent you an invite, you should add an SA reference so people know you're a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RikkidoSeph
Jul 31, 2014

Slack Motherfucker posted:

Sent you an invite as well I mostly keep Orlandeau up but with Aileen's enhancements coming I'll probably switch between the two.

• Locked thread