Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That helps a lot. Navy blue on the interior might be nice, maybe a cool grey on the outer walls, or at least a lighter taupe, I feel like dark taupe would be kind of oppressive.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Edit: We are in the process of acquiring more rugs to cover the majority of that awful loving tile. They CHOSE that poo poo, what the gently caress

hahah yeah where I grew up a lot of homes have tile that looks like that (because it's hot there and tiles -> cool) but yeah idk why they all have that same "old pee stains" texture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think it's a bad idea to just immediately paint the place without figuring out exactly what you're hoping to get out of the space. Like do you want to use the dining area, or is it just some generic storage place® that won't be eaten on? Are you replacing furniture or moving things around?

If you want to use the dining area for dining, you might just paint the adjacent walls to visually separate that area If you just want to homogenize the room then it doesn't matter, but it's hard to say without knowing how you intend to utilize the space. I assume you're eating at the TV, but it's hard to tell.

I too have fond memories of my cleaning bottles and nail clippers. And lol if pointing it out makes you "feel like poo poo"

e: if you paint the tv wall, make sure to accidentally misplace the wall word

e2: when you say a condo, are you saying you own the place or is it an apartment? If you own it, just tear out the built-in kitchen and replace it with what you want.

We've been here nearly 2 years already, know what we use each room for, and have the furniture we are going to have for the foreseeable future. We eat at the TV about as often as we use the built in bench dining table. We also have guests over alot since we like to entertain, and use that long table as a sort of serving area. We plan to get a bar cart / cabinet for the wall opposite it.

We're not replacing the wall word. I'm sorry you don't like it.

I've already said that we don't own it and are renting it from some friends. They built the dining thing in for the weird space and have asked us not to remove it.

Your posts make me imagine that your avatar is actually a picture of you.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That helps a lot. Navy blue on the interior might be nice, maybe a cool grey on the outer walls, or at least a lighter taupe, I feel like dark taupe would be kind of oppressive.

hahah yeah where I grew up a lot of homes have tile that looks like that (because it's hot there and tiles -> cool) but yeah idk why they all have that same "old pee stains" texture

Yeah we were thinking a very light taupe, like a cappuccino color almost. She likes the idea of a grey but I hate it, so we'll see.

They did a lot of "diy" poo poo to this place, but they have no knowledge on how to do it, so it's like a funhouse of buzzing electronics, crooked tile, missing baseboards, etc.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 14, 2018

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Navy blue and cappuccino could be very nice. :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have cappuccino in half of my hallway (it’s half and half) and from testing a pale blue gloss on the doors looked better than the navy - made it look too dark.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

We've been here nearly 2 years already, know what we use each room for, and have the furniture we are going to have for the foreseeable future. We eat at the TV about as often as we use the built in bench dining table. We also have guests over alot since we like to entertain, and use that long table as a sort of serving area. We plan to get a bar cart / cabinet for the wall opposite it.

That's what I would do. Clean up that area, paint the two short walls, get rid of that thing in the corner and put a bar/buffet/etc there instead. I wouldn't paint the rest of the room if you're trying to make that area look like it's a separate space.

quote:

We're not replacing the wall word. I'm sorry you don't like it.

Oh I didn't say replace it

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I have cappuccino in half of my hallway (it’s half and half) and from testing a pale blue gloss on the doors looked better than the navy - made it look too dark.

Great tip, thanks. That was our concern, yeah.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Oh I didn't say replace it

Rearrange it, declare your fealty to VOLE

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

Rearrange it, declare your fealty to VOLE

It's a wire shelf actually, and it's not going anywhere, for better or worse.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks, she's fine really. Just turbo heartburn and normal aches. We floated orange, but after talking about it we are leaning towards doing a color, maybe like a navy blue, on the inside of the L, and like a taupe on the rest?

That is a dark space for a true navy. Might be wise to look at medium blues as well and see if there's one that darkens to the shade you want in the lower light. Would totally pair with a warm grey/taupe; that sounds amazing.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Thanks, she's fine really. Just turbo heartburn and normal aches. We floated orange, but after talking about it we are leaning towards doing a color, maybe like a navy blue, on the inside of the L, and like a taupe on the rest?

I'd go with a lighter blue, since darker colors will shrink the place. I am staunchly anti-gray/beige and in this case combined with the tile floors it would make it look too cold IMO.

On another note entirely, this might be the only time where $795k for a house is really cheap.

Dream kitchen right here. That old wood cookstove probably heats most of the house.

Comes with a 10-car temperature controlled garage.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Since the room/s are kind of dark, and everything is kind of that taupy brown color, I would lean towards a single, cool-toned, very light wall color. The reasoning being:

- A dark color is going to compress the space further and make it seem darker (which is nice in a bedroom, imho, very cozy, but not great in your main living area). A light color will visually "open up" the space.

- A cool color like blue or green will pull focus from the brown and beige of ...all the other stuff, which will give it some life.

- Accent walls are the kind of overdone nonsense that came of age when HGTV started taking over and everyone acts like they've "been a thing" forever. They're not, they were some 2000s trend that only makes sense when you have to come up with new things to put on TV constantly. Ask me how I feel about backsplashes, that One Weird Trick to sell extra tile that nobody thought about before 2010.

Painting the "kitchen" one color and the "living room" a different one makes sense if you want to visually separate the space a little more.

I would go with a very light, bright teal or mint if I were you. Something like this: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/pr...ingColors&p=PS0

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate the heat register in that kitchen, I feel like I'd constantly be tripping over it or feeling it under my feet while I cook and get mad. Why not set it back under the shelf or closer to them??

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vonnegutt posted:

- Accent walls are the kind of overdone nonsense that came of age when HGTV started taking over and everyone acts like they've "been a thing" forever. They're not, they were some 2000s trend that only makes sense when you have to come up with new things to put on TV constantly. Ask me how I feel about backsplashes, that One Weird Trick to sell extra tile that nobody thought about before 2010.]

Really? I'm sure I remember people doing like one wall in wallpaper with the others plain at least as far back as the 80s. Not as dull as an all paint room, not as busy as an all wallpaper room.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Ask me how I feel about backsplashes, that One Weird Trick to sell extra tile that nobody thought about before 2010.

This is the sort of comment that results in hundreds of anecdotes that say you're wrong.
(I remember my parents house having tiled backsplash 25 years ago)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:stare: So that house is in my hometown. Like if anyone is seriously interested, I lived there for most of my life and can tell you just about anything about the town. It's probably on the cheap side for one of the richest towns in one of the richest counties in the country, but also there's been a fair amount of huge houses for sale around town, stagnating.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

vonnegutt posted:

- Accent walls are the kind of overdone nonsense that came of age when HGTV started taking over and everyone acts like they've "been a thing" forever. They're not, they were some 2000s trend that only makes sense when you have to come up with new things to put on TV constantly. Ask me how I feel about backsplashes, that One Weird Trick to sell extra tile that nobody thought about before 2010.

I don’t like accents either, but I accept it as this “thing” everyone thinks they should put in when they run out of ideas or want to make a room “interesting” again. It breaks the visual harmony of the room, and is used way too often to cover for boring-rear end uninspired design.

I just paint every wall of every room pure white now as to make the pieces inside it stand out. It feels like being in an art museum.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hell same, It is my honour to present “duck and gargoyle” elegantly displayed on a wood with a modern turquoise, light mocha, and biscuit floral background.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

would

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

learnincurve posted:

Hell same, It is my honour to present “duck and gargoyle” elegantly displayed on a wood with a modern turquoise, light mocha, and biscuit floral background.

i love them

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Edit: We are in the process of acquiring more rugs to cover the majority of that awful loving tile. They CHOSE that poo poo, what the gently caress

Holy poo poo, you are not kidding about that tile.

That would drive me up a wall.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Forgive my interior design ignorance but...

PRADA SLUT posted:

... boring-rear end uninspired design.
and

PRADA SLUT posted:

I just paint every wall of every room pure white now...

seem to be, in my opinion at least, the same loving thing.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is the sort of comment that results in hundreds of anecdotes that say you're wrong.
(I remember my parents house having tiled backsplash 25 years ago)

Perhaps I should have specified "backsplashes as decorative element". If you're redoing your kitchen right now, after countertops, the first thing everyone asks about is your backsplash. Is it going to be glass tile? What's your backsplash color theme? Have you seen what Chip and Joanna did to that one backsplash with the painted tile? Is subway tile still in??

It drives me up a wall. Sure, have tile for a surface that needs to get wiped a lot. That makes sense. But it doesn't have to be the focal point.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Maybe my place has tile for every floor surface because the owners walk around making GBS threads their bad ideas and poor taste all over it and it's easy to wipe up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

8one6 posted:

Forgive my interior design ignorance but...

and

seem to be, in my opinion at least, the same loving thing.

You can paint any color you like so long as your pieces and layout are interesting, but if you’ve got boring-rear end furnishings and a bland design, no paint is going to suddenly turn the room around. White just accentuates your furniture more, which for some people is something they want to take attention away from.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

Perhaps I should have specified "backsplashes as decorative element". If you're redoing your kitchen right now, after countertops, the first thing everyone asks about is your backsplash. Is it going to be glass tile? What's your backsplash color theme? Have you seen what Chip and Joanna did to that one backsplash with the painted tile? Is subway tile still in??

It drives me up a wall. Sure, have tile for a surface that needs to get wiped a lot. That makes sense. But it doesn't have to be the focal point.

I'm going to make mine out of unsealed pennies just to spite you (and myself).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe my place has tile for every floor surface because the owners walk around making GBS threads their bad ideas and poor taste all over it and it's easy to wipe up.

only if you miss the grout

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Ah gotcha, understood.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can paint any color you like so long as your pieces and layout are interesting, but if you’ve got boring-rear end furnishings and a bland design, no paint is going to suddenly turn the room around. White just accentuates your furniture more, which for some people is something they want to take attention away from.

But what if I’m really poor and my furniture is all poo poo so I want to use paint to help create a friendly and cheerful family home for very little money? :ohdear:

In all seriousness. You know what flat white paint isn’t? Wipeable. Even if you are a single male living on their own with no hope of any woman ever stepping in there, there is always the risk of a splash from cooking or a wet coat being taken off. Plus you can’t scowl spiders, insects and dust away so white paint just looks increasingly grubby over time. I’d much rather use a silk or kitchen/bathroom paint that can be cleaned as part of normal housework.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm going to make mine out of unsealed pennies just to spite you (and myself).

Do it out of epoxied-on upcycled wine corks!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’ve always been able to clean white just fine, I’ve cleaned coffee, wine, and liquid smoke without issue.

learnincurve posted:

But what if I’m really poor and my furniture is all poo poo so I want to use paint to help create a friendly and cheerful family home for very little money? :ohdear:

There’s a difference between painting because you want to add something a the room you otherwise like, and painting because you think it’s going to fix a fundamental issue with your design. It’s like people with 20-year-old McMansion kitchens who put a ~*modern granite countertop*~ in, while ignoring the glued-on yellow oak panels on the refrigerator and the crooked island.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
This is *maybe* a stupid question, but is it a bad idea to have a chandelier/hanging light fixture somewhat off center in a room? We have a dining room with a curio cabinet and a credenza in it as well as a largeish table and chairs. Everything looks good I think in the room, but functionally the table is just a little bit too close to the credenza and curio and I think it would help a lot if we could just push the table 6" away from each in both directions. The problem with doing that is the house has some chandelier hanging over the table, and pushing the table makes it noticeably off center from the light fixture (and it's big enough that you start to risk hitting it if you're standing near the edge of the table). Our amateur idea was to simply move the light fixture so that it was centered over the table in the new position (we're planning on replacing the light fixture anyways so relocating the box shouldn't be that much of an issue) but we honestly have no idea if that's going to end up being worse or not.

This is a really lovely, not to scale at all picture to give an idea of the layout and what I mean:

Basically we want to slide the table to the left 6" and down 6" (which would be accompanied by sliding the credenza 6" as well I think) and the light fixture to match. For reference in case it matters: the thing on the left hand side is some sort of psuedo bay window created with walls and 3 regular square windows, and the bottom opening opens into the foyer. Both have plenty of wide open space for to accommodate the table moving, just the light fixture is an issue.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’m pretty sure you can hang it off-center so long as it respects the balance of the room. It might be better to do a quick 3d sketch though.

e: Swag the chandelier until you get a feel for whether you want it permanent, then move the box if you need to. You might be able to just leave it swagged.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 16, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

Do it out of epoxied-on upcycled wine corks!

Epoxy sounds expensive. Got a glue gun?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Steampunk Hitler posted:

This is *maybe* a stupid question, but is it a bad idea to have a chandelier/hanging light fixture somewhat off center in a room? We have a dining room with a curio cabinet and a credenza in it as well as a largeish table and chairs. Everything looks good I think in the room, but functionally the table is just a little bit too close to the credenza and curio and I think it would help a lot if we could just push the table 6" away from each in both directions. The problem with doing that is the house has some chandelier hanging over the table, and pushing the table makes it noticeably off center from the light fixture (and it's big enough that you start to risk hitting it if you're standing near the edge of the table). Our amateur idea was to simply move the light fixture so that it was centered over the table in the new position (we're planning on replacing the light fixture anyways so relocating the box shouldn't be that much of an issue) but we honestly have no idea if that's going to end up being worse or not.

This is a really lovely, not to scale at all picture to give an idea of the layout and what I mean:

Basically we want to slide the table to the left 6" and down 6" (which would be accompanied by sliding the credenza 6" as well I think) and the light fixture to match. For reference in case it matters: the thing on the left hand side is some sort of psuedo bay window created with walls and 3 regular square windows, and the bottom opening opens into the foyer. Both have plenty of wide open space for to accommodate the table moving, just the light fixture is an issue.

Don't move the box. Either swag the chandelier so it's center over the table, or replace it with a light fixture that's flush to the ceiling so you don't need to worry about how it looks with the table.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

there wolf posted:

Don't move the box. Either swag the chandelier so it's center over the table, or replace it with a light fixture that's flush to the ceiling so you don't need to worry about how it looks with the table.

What does "swag the chandelier" mean?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Steampunk Hitler posted:

What does "swag the chandelier" mean?

Or this:

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 16, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I saw these horrifying things in the Crappy Construction thread and felt they were right at home here(as a What Not To Do :v:)

Imagine the smell of that flamingo tub after it's spent a month or two being used. :gonk:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Combine it with other WORD ART for the bonus:

Why Bother Live?
Eat a Dick, Love.
Laugh. Hail Satan.