Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Craptacular! posted:

Does this mean the end of the Wallet Dance?

I got paid on an external last week at 0.01. Most payments listed now are 0.01 rather than 0.10 on Nicehash (recent payments link). However due to the fees mentioned its definitely preferable to use the free Coinbase transfer if youre using Coinbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enshoku
Jun 1, 2013
Does anyone have a rough delta on custom bios vs default for mining eth with AMD cards? I've got a 480 and I've read about people pulling 31Mh/s but I'm topping out at like 20.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Enshoku posted:

Does anyone have a rough delta on custom bios vs default for mining eth with AMD cards? I've got a 480 and I've read about people pulling 31Mh/s but I'm topping out at like 20.

It depends on memory type and how far the memory chips can oc with tighter timings

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/wiki/software/oc/amdbios

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

So, people keep mentioning Nist5 is profitable. By my estimation, people are spending $400k/day to mine it on Nicehash (.01 BTC/GH/s/day * 2750 GH/s * 1 day * $15000/BTC).

The only substantial Nist5 coin I can find is Bulwark, which has a market cap of $33 million. Bulwark blocks are generated every 90 seconds, and each coin is ~$15, meaning a day's worth of coins is worth $15k. Even if my math is way over what's actually being paid, if this is for Bulwark it seems like a tremendous waste of money.

Are there other, more promising Nist5 coins out there?

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Enshoku posted:

I have a sapphire nitro+ limited RX580 with hynix memory. I have it overclocked to CPU 1250 and memory 2250 and it mines at 20.5mh/s.

I tried a BIOS mod about a week ago - copied the 1750 timings into the 2250 timings and it brought up the speeds to 29mh/s. I was having some other issues with the rig, primary one being I'm tight on my power supply and my pool was reporting lower numbers than it should have been so I rolled a bunch of stuff back including the BIOS until I can get a more powerful supply and have some overhead to play around with the settings.

Unless you are building a full time mining rig I would be hesitant to try any flashing. It could make gaming very unstable because you are really pushing the limits of what the memory can handle. Not to mention the fact that you could easily brick your card if the flash goes badly.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

ohgodwhat posted:

So, people keep mentioning Nist5 is profitable. By my estimation, people are spending $400k/day to mine it on Nicehash (.01 BTC/GH/s/day * 2750 GH/s * 1 day * $15000/BTC).

The only substantial Nist5 coin I can find is Bulwark, which has a market cap of $33 million. Bulwark blocks are generated every 90 seconds, and each coin is ~$15, meaning a day's worth of coins is worth $15k. Even if my math is way over what's actually being paid, if this is for Bulwark it seems like a tremendous waste of money.

Are there other, more promising Nist5 coins out there?

Block Reward of BWK is 37.50, Block time is 90 seconds.

24*3600/90*37.5 = 36000 coins/day, $15/coin = $540000 worth of coins a day. So it can be profitable but altcoins are very volatile since the price of Bitcoin, the alt coin, the difficulty change rates are all big factors. When a coin is profitable, there is a rush to mine the coin, which increases the network hash rate and the difficulty increases at some point to compensate. A lot of altcoins adjust their difficulty every block which makes them extremely volatile.
http://blockmunch.club/explorer/BWK

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is there any reason I shouldn't just leave the gpu on only nist5 for the day? I mean it's unlikely to just drop out or something randomly? Most of the others seem to give literally half the rate of nist

e: ended up just taking out the ones that looked especially low. Left with Nist5 (alexis), Blake2s and Skunk

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 15, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Ish. There are other options you should at least consider, though.
Thanks! I did leave it mining with Nicehash since I already had it set up from before and got about $5 by the time I got back from work today. Not bad for zero effort on my part but I'll look into the other options as well. How do you enable Nist5 though? I don't see it anywhere, using the latest 2.0.1.6.

e: ah it's only in the legacy miner. And doesn't seem to be any more profitable than just leaving the new one running.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 15, 2018

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Well, cashed out of Winminer because it was getting pretty crappy. Swallowed my common sense and went back to Nicehash because it swore it only stole my money last time because it loved me and now its changed, baby. Nicehash is like 2x more on my 1070 & 8700k than Winminer was.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Just sweep it out to Coinbase and sell that poo poo every ~$15 or so and you'll be fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DrDork posted:

Just sweep it out to Coinbase and sell that poo poo every ~$15 or so and you'll be fine.

I'm fairly certain coinbase will pull a Mt Gox at some point too, but since I'm talking about fairly small amounts I'm not too worried about it. Winminer's Amazon/Paypal pay out was super nice though, and when I started I was getting like 90% daily profit. Oh well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can you buy Gyft cards directly from a Nicehash wallet without having to do the Coinbase dance? I'd rather just mine to 1 mBTC so they'll put it in the wallet than have to mine to the 2mBTC that they want to transfer to Coinbase now.

I got to about 0.3 before realizing this isn't healthy for my GPU, so it's sort of throwing good after bad but that's life.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Is it really that bad for your GPU? My 1070 stays around 55c fully overclocked (it's cold in my house). I'm not putting extra volts through it and the cooler doesn't spin up above 35%

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Nope. There is no current way to do anything with the funds in a Nicehash wallet directly: it's all gotta be pushed out elsewhere, be it to Coinbase or to some external wallet. Coinbase at least has fairly easy ways to sell the funds and deposit USD to a bank account or PayPal, so it's relatively painless in that sense. In that Coinbase is (at least for now) a free and fairly quick transfer from Nicehash, there's really no reason not to use that path--just don't keep funds chilling out there that you wouldn't be ok with losing.

And, certainly with Pascal, there doesn't seem to be much of a "lifespan" hit on cards due to mining. Maybe if you wanted to keep a card for 8+ years or something...

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You get a 3 year warranty anyways. I overclocked my 1070 and it stopped working after a year of gaming(no mining) and they replaced it no problem. I was a bit worried they would deny me since I overclocked it but they didn’t.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're not flashing the bios overclocking is sanctioned. They could make a bios that removes any usefulness from overclocking but no one's doing it. Now overclocking uses more power and makes more noise, but there's no danger of premature hardware failure.

I think something they could and should add is use hours. SSDs already record how much is written versus how long they're on. It wouldn't be too much of a jump to add videocard on time and % hours loaded. That would probably help everyone, make a warranty 10,000 used hours which you'll never hit as a gamer but quickly bump into from mining or off label compute use, less warranty claims and you could prove your used card actually only had 1,000 hours used and the other 10,000 were idle when you're selling it used after 2 years.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 15, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Except it'd probably end up more like a car warranty: 10,000 load hours or 3 years, whichever comes first. Otherwise they'd be at risk of warrantying cards for a decade for people who only use them sparingly, and lose a good amount of money when they inevitably die. There's no way they'd write it so that the average user magically gets a card that never falls out of warranty.

The real piece people are missing here is that there's basically no evidence to suggest that mining at reasonable levels (no over-volting, not hot-boxing, etc) actually degrades the cards at a rate that would be meaningful for your average user who doesn't plan on keeping it in service for the next decade. Over-volting outside of spec is already something that requires a modded VBIOS or hardware mods, both of which already nix your warranty if they notice. And Pascal is already great at dealing with the hot-box situation by simply slowing down until its back within its happy thermal envelope.

It's actually really, really hard to damage these cards. Load counters would be trying to solve a problem that simply isn't there, unlike the SSD issue where there is a well-known and identified lifespan in terms of writes, and you don't get to RMA a SSD that you (somehow--you really have to try with drives bigger than about 120GB) managed to push into read-only mode via excessive writes.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not worried about mining use, but I'd take a 6 month 1,000 hour warranty if it saved me 50 dollars over a 5 year 10,000 hour warranty. I'm only thinking about how it might benefit me as a side benefit of less RMA claims to manufacturers.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

craig588 posted:

I'm not worried about mining use, but I'd take a 6 month 1,000 hour warranty if it saved me 50 dollars over a 5 year 10,000 hour warranty. I'm only thinking about how it might benefit me as a side benefit of less RMA claims to manufacturers.

Companies are not in the business to benefit you, though. If you're cool with getting a cheaper card with a minimal warranty, there's already a well-establish option for that: refurbished and b-stock.

Or you can keep buying used cards from serial-based manufacturers and get a similar discount, except you get the full remainder of the 3 year warranty instead of 6 months. You're trying to put yourself in a worse situation here, even if unintentionally.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Its virtually impossible to damage a Pascal by overclocking it. Not only do they have TDP limits, they also have thermal limits. Once reached the voltage will go way down no matter what settings you have in software. The BIOS is signed too and you can't load an unsigned BIOS.

Also I have a hard time believing that altcoin mining will be around in two months anyway.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Alpha Mayo posted:

Its virtually impossible to damage a Pascal by overclocking it. Not only do they have TDP limits, they also have thermal limits. Once reached the voltage will go way down no matter what settings you have in software. The BIOS is signed too and you can't load an unsigned BIOS.

Also I have a hard time believing that altcoin mining will be around in two months anyway.

People were saying that in June/July, and here we are.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm still waiting for BTC to get to $1.00 so I'll buy some. I was hoping a couple of weeks ago it'll get there in no-time flat, but i guess it's slower than anticipated. The right trend though.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
B Stock has been taking longer to get in stock and prices less discounted. It was great in the Maxwell days, then took a long time to get in stock for Pascal for barely any discount. I'm not too hopeful for Ampere.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

craig588 posted:

B Stock has been taking longer to get in stock and prices less discounted. It was great in the Maxwell days, then took a long time to get in stock for Pascal for barely any discount. I'm not too hopeful for Ampere.

b stock?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Risky Bisquick posted:

True, but crypto is negative sum game. Any cash you earn from mining came from a trader who put money into the system. Once the rate of new investments coming in is less than the money going out to miners, the market is going to tank. The fact that equilibrium right now appears to be with BTC at 13-14K means that a lot of money is actually flowing in to the system but is flowing out at a similar rate. And actually, since market cap is holding steady around 700B, and not increasing with the mining of new coins, it means that average altcoin prices are already dropping.

BTC/Gh/Day will only keep falling unless there is a surge of new investors to match the surge of new miners. Also if an algo dies (by all the altcoins that it can produce becoming worthless), all that hashing power is going to move to other algos. So say Bulwark dies (the only NIST5 coin worth mining), the nVidia NIST5 miners would move to Neoscrypt, pushing up the difficulty for everyone.

I don't think we are going to see a crash where you wake up one day and mining is worthless. But I do think we are going to see a rapid decline in the profitability of mining over the next 3 months. If you make $300/month right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it is $15/month in a couple months.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
re: does mining harm gpus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWfj7RF_z8&t=378s

in short, only high temperatures damage a gpu

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVGA B Stock are their refurbed cards. In the 980/970 days you could get a 970 for 200 dollars or a 980 for 300 with a 1 year warranty. Now it's 500 for a 1080 and 700 for a 1080 Ti, if there were any in stock at all. https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=8

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

EVGA B Stock are their refurbed cards. In the 980/970 days you could get a 970 for 200 dollars or a 980 for 300 with a 1 year warranty. Now it's 500 for a 1080 and 700 for a 1080 Ti, if there were any in stock at all. https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=8

B-stock has been garbage for a while now. Why the gently caress would I pay $530 for a refurb GPU with a 1-year warranty when I could get a new retail card with a 3-year warranty for the same price? I paid $35 less than their deal for a GT 740 almost 5 years ago, hell I've gotten 750 Tis for less than that.

Used to be that you could get a 780 Ti for $180 back during the Maxwell generation (when a 970 was still >$300), or a 980 Ti for like $300-350 during the Pascal generation. About a year ago they figured out they could charge pretty much whatever and their prices have basically been the same as retail for the past 6 months. Their only saving grace here is that unlike retail they actually still have some stock at the moment.

You can count the number of worthwhile B-stock deals over the last 6 months on a single hand, and that's including the GT 710 I bought for $22 as a backup-of-last-resort card.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 16, 2018

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Alpha Mayo posted:

I don't think we are going to see a crash where you wake up one day and mining is worthless. But I do think we are going to see a rapid decline in the profitability of mining over the next 3 months. If you make $300/month right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it is $15/month in a couple months.

Speaking as the resident permabear - I'd say that even I wouldn't make that prediction firmly.

But, of course, the arse could drop out tomorrow.

So don't make altcoin mining plans more than a few months out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrDork posted:

It's actually really, really hard to damage these cards.

What are you basing this on? Because my experience in HPC has been the exact opposite; academics stuffing a bunch of GTX 980s beneath a desk and running them at full tilt commonly suffer eventual hardware failure. No overclocking or bios flashing necessary. There the issue is basically poor ventilation, but that's a common problem for hobby users

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

What are you basing this on? Because my experience in HPC has been the exact opposite; academics stuffing a bunch of GTX 980s beneath a desk and running them at full tilt commonly suffer eventual hardware failure. No overclocking or bios flashing necessary. There the issue is basically poor ventilation, but that's a common problem for hobby users

Mostly because anyone who has bothered to invest enough time and money into acquiring "a bunch of 980's" (or, let's be real here, 1070/1080/1080Ti's) is also aware that their best profit point doesn't come from running them balls to the wall full tilt, but rather undervolted and power limited a bit (with the rare exception of people who get absolutely free electricity, but those are an edge case not worth worrying about). Letting them get too hot due to poor ventilation, likewise, causes profitability to tank.

So basically it's in the miner's best interest to take at least reasonable care of their cards, which frankly is more than you can say about Joe Gamer who tries slapping a 1080Ti Armor in a single-fan mITX case with the power turned up to 120% to try to eek out those last few frames on TW3.

Also, purely as a practical exercise, between this thread and the GPU thread, you'd think you'd have at least a few people bitching about how mining burned out their cards / they bought a busted up used card or whatever if it was actually A Thing. But, AFAIK, there hasn't been anyone complaining about much past a dying fan.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrDork posted:

Mostly because anyone who has bothered to invest enough time and money into acquiring "a bunch of 980's" (or, let's be real here, 1070/1080/1080Ti's) is also aware that their best profit point doesn't come from running them balls to the wall full tilt, but rather undervolted and power limited a bit (with the rare exception of people who get absolutely free electricity, but those are an edge case not worth worrying about). Letting them get too hot due to poor ventilation, likewise, causes profitability to tank.

So basically it's in the miner's best interest to take at least reasonable care of their cards, which frankly is more than you can say about Joe Gamer who tries slapping a 1080Ti Armor in a single-fan mITX case with the power turned up to 120% to try to eek out those last few frames on TW3.

Also, purely as a practical exercise, between this thread and the GPU thread, you'd think you'd have at least a few people bitching about how mining burned out their cards / they bought a busted up used card or whatever if it was actually A Thing. But, AFAIK, there hasn't been anyone complaining about much past a dying fan.

So the answer to my question was conjecture? Like I understand that it's in a cryptocurrency miner's best interest to take good care of their equipment, but you understand that people don't always act in their best interest, right? There have been plenty of laugh-posts in the YOSPOS and GBS threads copied from Redditors slagging their GPUs from misuse (note that I'm not suggesting that a well-ventilated under-volted rack of GPUs is going to normally cause damage; these GPUs should operate fine in a server rack, but adequate cooling is still important)

Rather than hours used and %load values, I think it would be interesting if manufacturers started voiding warranties on the basis of temperature logging. Run your GPU at 90 degrees C all the time? Get hosed, you did this to yourself.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

So the answer to my question was conjecture?

Not really. It's more a confluence of multiple things, since--as none of us are the manufacturers dealing with RMAs--we have no direct way to figure out how many cards are or are not being damaged.

What we can see is that (1) most miners aren't complete idiots (well, at least not in terms of hardware; finances might be a different story), (2) those who are tend to utterly destroy their cards through either dangerous hardware mods, or through setups so inane that they defy logic, (3) the cards affected by (2) tend to not make it onto the secondary market since they are, you know, toast, and (4) there hasn't been a rash of complaints from people buying used cards about how they're failing at an abnormal rate. Put it all together and it's pretty safe to conclude that mining doesn't hurt anything at a rate that normal users (or even other miners) ought to be concerned about.

The lack of any hard proof that it's all fine does not, in and of itself, mean it's all fine, of course. But that basically all evidence and "reasonable man" actions point in that direction do make it a decent bet. Put another way, if it was damaging to the card, you'd expect to see lots of evidence of that cropping up as people try to mine to the moooooooon! But there hasn't been.

QuarkJets posted:

Rather than hours used and %load values, I think it would be interesting if manufacturers started voiding warranties on the basis of temperature logging. Run your GPU at 90 degrees C all the time? Get hosed, you did this to yourself.

Except Pascal is exceedingly good at staying within its specified thermal envelope. NVidia says a chip can run at up to X deg C. It'd be pretty lovely to void warranties because you had the gall to run it at X.

I mean, the recent change NVidia made to their driver agreement bans using consumer-grade cards in datacenter applications specifically because companies were catching on that they work a-ok running at load 24/7 and are a poo poo-ton cheaper than paying for Quadro/Tesla cards. (oddly, it explicitly still allows blockchain processing in a datacenter, though, so I guess corporate mining farms are still cool with them?)

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

QuarkJets posted:

nVidia already determines the maximum safe value to run the GPU at, and limits it to that. It wouldn't be right to punish someone for running at the maximum temperature that nVidia themselves determined to set in the locked BIOS.

Personally I'd have no problem buying a used mining GPU if it was made within the last 2 years. But I wouldn't touch a 5 year old GPU even if it was never used for mining, because those didn't have safeguards. You could literally just crank up the voltage and fry your GPU or permanently partially damage it. Which is impossible to do with nVidia these days

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Alpha Mayo posted:

nVidia already determines the maximum safe value to run the GPU at, and limits it to that. It wouldn't be right to punish someone for running at the maximum temperature that nVidia themselves determined to set in the locked BIOS.

Personally I'd have no problem buying a used mining GPU if it was made within the last 2 years. But I wouldn't touch a 5 year old GPU even if it was never used for mining, because those didn't have safeguards. You could literally just crank up the voltage and fry your GPU or permanently partially damage it. Which is impossible to do with nVidia these days

Then why do their GPUs seem to die after being operated for a long time in poorly ventilated conditions? I'm telling you that this is a real thing that people in the HPC world trying to save a few bucks have had to deal with, operating cards with factory settings

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

I had read a few stories searching for information where people described cards that had been used in mining as causing artifacts and graphical glitches and basically being useless. This happened to a friend with an HD4xx0 that he owned for four years and never mined with. I have better luck with GPUs in general but given that I couldn’t afford a second GPU at the price I paid let alone what they are now I got nervous.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Nicehash to coinbase minimum is now .002 rather than .001 btc.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
And the bleeding begins...

Also still waiting on that stolen 0.02 to get returned, Nicehash :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Winminer ZEN down to $4.60/day on a 1080 Ti.

God I hope the end of this poo poo is near. GPU prices are getting loving ridiculous.

• Locked thread