Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Another question: is push damage the very last thing that happens at the end of a turn? If I'm using the Punisher from the fast forces pack, he has an ability that says if he damaged an enemy unit this turn, after all actions resolve, heal him 1 click. If he uses running shot and gets a 2nd action counter, does that healing happen after he takes push damage, or before?

Pushing damage happens 'after actions resolve,' as do several other effects (notably, taking damage from the Mystics team ability, healing from Steal Energy, and, yes, Punisher's healing). When effects happen simultaneously, the active player (in this case, you, since it's your turn) gets to choose the order that they resolve in. So you can choose that he takes the pushing damage and then heals, if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there anything more satisfying in Clix than making an attack roll that was relatively unlikely and probably needed for you to stay in the game then the opponent making you reroll it and turning it into a critical hit? I think the only thing is maybe rolling a critical miss when you've mind controlled a tough guy and having them KO themselves.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there anything more satisfying in Clix than making an attack roll that was relatively unlikely and probably needed for you to stay in the game then the opponent making you reroll it and turning it into a critical hit? I think the only thing is maybe rolling a critical miss when you've mind controlled a tough guy and having them KO themselves.

Having a hail mary attack hit is the loving best.

I remember I had an I vampire take a "why not" shot on a Martian Manhunter. Two high rolls and missed shape change and super senses later Manhunter wasn't feeling so good and the entire game changed.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Torrent posted:

Pushing damage happens 'after actions resolve,' as do several other effects (notably, taking damage from the Mystics team ability, healing from Steal Energy, and, yes, Punisher's healing). When effects happen simultaneously, the active player (in this case, you, since it's your turn) gets to choose the order that they resolve in. So you can choose that he takes the pushing damage and then heals, if you want to.

I thought push damage would be a part of actions resolving - i.e. the action hasn't resolved until the push damage has been applied.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Steve Vader posted:

I thought push damage would be a part of actions resolving - i.e. the action hasn't resolved until the push damage has been applied.
The token doesn't go on until after actions resolve, and pushing damage is triggered by the token. If I remember correctly there was a minor kerfuffle during the rules overhaul where they moved when tokens go on but nothing else and it created so many weird corner cases based on special powers that check action tokens that they abandoned that idea.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Here's the applicable section from the rulebook. No idea if this has been errata'd since then...

quote:

When a character receives a second action token for any reason (often because it has been given an action on two consecutive turns), it becomes “pushed”. When a character becomes pushed, immediately after resolutions it is dealt one pushing damage.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was “Those Most Powerful” 800 points, anything goes, at least one character must have the Power Cosmic, Quintessence, or Kingdom Come TA. I was initially planning on KC batman and a swarm of Bat-Drones until my buddy said he was going to run Uni-Mind with an Infinity Gauntlet and the Chase Thanos who can yank people next to him.

So I built an Adgardian Team designed to shut that poo poo down because gently caress that.

TMT Chase Odin
TMT Odinson
TMT Angela prime
TMT Beta Ray Bill at his lower line
TMT Chase Valkyrie at her lower line
TMT Baldur
TMT Jane Foster
TMT Fandral
FI Splitlip
HOT Mjolnir Relic
Green Arrow ID with Chase Arrow

Basically huddle around bill until Thor can pick up Mjolnir while building up plot points to fire off his ultimate.

Round 1 versus deity.

TMT Zeus
SFOSM Ares
SMWW Hermes
TMT Pluto

I won map but deferred and ended up on avengers island I think. I crowded around mjolnir and bill and began to try to lift it. He rushed down to get within 4 so that Zeus could EE, perplexing up his defense. Thor lifted Mjolnir. Baldur called in Arrow who hit Zeus. Souls came out but didn’t do much. Thor did his plus one to KO Zeus and hurt Hermès badly. Hermes ran to his snakes Angela and Valkyrie went for and KO’d ares. One of his souls ko’d Valkyrie but Thor was rocking Pluto and Hermes and then fired off his ultimate. Hades fell fast. Pluto ended up on his last click and made 9 straight Impervious rolls to just not die, but also couldn’t hit fandral who was dueling him. Fandral with his 14 kept hitting until he finally missed one of those Impervious rolls.

Round 2 versus Mystical

Colossal Trigon at 400?
Dormammu OP not colossal with full Phoenix Force
2 generic witches
Generic Druid.

I lost map and ended up on the jail. I huddled until I had Mjolnir. Trigon moved down and had his defense double perplexed but Arrow hit. Thor followed up and then Odin with some enhancement ko’d Him. Dormammu came down right into my guys but couldn’t hit over 2 turns. Valkyrie hit him for a 6 damage blades exploit and that was basically that.

Round 3 versus the team I built to beat

Uni Mind with a giant pile of eternals on the sideline
Gauntlet on Uni.
Chase Thanos.

Since BRB says can’t target and Thanos has to target to yank his things he was basically a non-factor. I picked up Mjolnir first roll. He got first attack with uni though, hitting Odin to his sleep click and then having Thanos come down to base me. Thor and friends KO’d Thanos and then I missed uni mind a lot, including with my green Arrow attack as 22’s are hard to hit. He hit Odin who rolled senses and then healed his click. Thor fired off his ultimate too. I beat uni down to his yellow line but he KO’d splitlip and soul healed a bunch. I knocked him back to invulnerable again and time was called, I couldn’t get off a single target pulse wave when I needed to and those loving stop clicks were killer.

Still I was the only 3-0 so I won the event. Next week is the annual New Years game. 2018 points and anything at all goes. 15 actions a round. Apokolips has run this event the last 3 years and I think I’m doing them again.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Previews have dropped for the next X-Men Set. Looks like AOA themed and Magneto has a Hellfire Club King Prime. Dials on the realms

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Well, the chases may be AOA themed, as Dark Beast is one. So annoying.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So Sunday is my goddamn favorite event of the year. 2018 points, 15 actions, anything goes. Winner gets to suggest an event the store will do.

Every year I do Apokolips and every year Andy's Blood Pressure rises a little higher. This year the Apokolips squad may have some big trouble because the Asgardians got a loving giant power boost with TMT and Beta Ray Bill is a giant pile of cocks disguised as a clix figure.

But I'll still play them because I loving love them. I have 2 builds open for critiques. Build 1 incorporates more of the female furies to give me additional outwit and some close combat. Build 2 is closer to my team last year but drops Supergirl and Desaad for 2 better attackers IMHO.

Apokolips Builds

Darkseid - 350
Utility Belt - 14 (Full)
Lydea Mallor
Brimstone - 20
Brutaal - 175
Steppenwolf - 135
Flash, God of Death - 125
Eclipso/Ion (Equipped to flash) - 25
Parademon (SMWW) x 4 - 180
Parademon (JLTW) x 9 - 450
Big Barda - 125 (HQ)
Granny Goodness - 125 (HQ)
Stompa - 80 (HQ)
Lashina - 75 (HQ)
Bernadeth - 50 (HQ) OR Mad Harriet - 50 (HQ)
Green Arrow - 5
Shield Level 7 - 5

2018 on the nose 24 dudes.

Build 2

SLOSH Darkseid at 350 with a full utility belt
Lydea Mallor
Brimstone at 20
HQ Big Barda
SMWW Bruutal
SMWW Steppenwolf
4 SMWW Parademons
10 TW 50 Point Generic Parademons
8 B&TB Parademon Grunts
Eclipso/Ion (equipped) - 25
Nightwing, Green Arrow, Level 7 ID cards

2007 - 29 dudes

Any thoughts on how to deal with Asgardians? Map choice doesn't gently caress them over. Placement is in their favor with BRB. I'm a bit stuck. Oh and for Flash the Eclipso/Ion thing, I'm trying to borrow Ion from Andy. Should he forget it Eclipso is in my bag as a backup. I really want to try the furies, but I feel like in this format as soon as Granny moves them up they'll get loving slaughtered but I need them for the close combat or I'll never get around BRB. An alternate idea is to go super heavy on the older parademons from B&TB who have charge. They'll die in the dozens sure, but they're cheap so who cares

Morand fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 5, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Morand posted:

I have 2 builds open for critiques.
TAKE THE loving UTILITY BELT OFF OF DARKSEID YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Any thoughts on how to deal with Asgardians? Map choice doesn't gently caress them over. Placement is in their favor with BRB. I'm a bit stuck.

Having just waged a very similar battle last week, map choice can still be helpful. Gjallerbru, from the Mighty Thor fast forces, is split up enough that you can force Bill to be within range, unless you're both just going to play Hypersonic tag all day. Or, if you want to go old school, Muspelheim doesn't have enough non-lava squares to both move out and surround Bill, so there will be plenty of targets to still attack.

Silly ID Card rules say that if you call in someone within 4 squares of Bill, they can draw lines of fire to him, since being called in is the beginning of THEIR turn. So you could TK someone out with Ion Flash, call in Nick, turn off Bill's storm power, and then bring the murder.

If you have Luthor, God of Apokalips, maybe go with him. His PsyBlast and then TK-into-a-killbox power is a good deterrent to turtling.

Could switch up the Utility Belt for a Book of the Skull, then have someone base Bill's cluster, drop a hammer on that person and use the free Quake to knock people away from Bill. Bonus points for using Stompa and having the free Quake activate her free Quake.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES HIS ASSHOLERY!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

NEVER

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Morand posted:

So Sunday is my goddamn favorite event of the year. 2018 points, 15 actions, anything goes. Winner gets to suggest an event the store will do.

Every year I do Apokolips and every year Andy's Blood Pressure rises a little higher. This year the Apokolips squad may have some big trouble because the Asgardians got a loving giant power boost with TMT and Beta Ray Bill is a giant pile of cocks disguised as a clix figure.

But I'll still play them because I loving love them. I have 2 builds open for critiques. Build 1 incorporates more of the female furies to give me additional outwit and some close combat. Build 2 is closer to my team last year but drops Supergirl and Desaad for 2 better attackers IMHO.

Apokolips Builds

Darkseid - 350
Utility Belt - 14 (Full)
Lydea Mallor
Brimstone - 20
Brutaal - 175
Steppenwolf - 135
Eclipso/Ion (Equipped to flash) - 25
Parademon (SMWW) x 4 - 180
Parademon (JLTW) x 9 - 450
Big Barda - 125 (HQ)
Granny Goodness - 125 (HQ)
Stompa - 80 (HQ)
Lashina - 75 (HQ)
Bernadeth - 50 (HQ) OR Mad Harriet - 50 (HQ)
Green Arrow - 5
Shield Level 7 - 5

2018 on the nose 24 dudes.

Build 2

SLOSH Darkseid at 350 with a full utility belt
Lydea Mallor
Brimstone at 20
HQ Big Barda
SMWW Bruutal
SMWW Steppenwolf
4 SMWW Parademons
10 TW 50 Point Generic Parademons
8 B&TB Parademon Grunts
Eclipso/Ion (equipped) - 25
Nightwing, Green Arrow, Level 7 ID cards

2007 - 29 dudes

Any thoughts on how to deal with Asgardians? Map choice doesn't gently caress them over. Placement is in their favor with BRB. I'm a bit stuck. Oh and for Flash the Eclipso/Ion thing, I'm trying to borrow Ion from Andy. Should he forget it Eclipso is in my bag as a backup. I really want to try the furies, but I feel like in this format as soon as Granny moves them up they'll get loving slaughtered but I need them for the close combat or I'll never get around BRB. An alternate idea is to go super heavy on the older parademons from B&TB who have charge. They'll die in the dozens sure, but they're cheap so who cares

A scenario like that seems like the perfect time to play Brimstone at full.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Tried that one year. He was brutally murdered every round.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
gently caress me, the next DC set is a Batman Animated Series set. http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585397

Part of me is very happy (especially since the side of the boosters in the brick picture have Hawkgirl and some other much needed remakes as well as Batman Beyond) but man.... another Batman focused set for the third year in a row? The fast forces has Harley Quinn, Joker and Poison Ivy in it again even. That complaint aside, I will loving buy pretty much every figure in this set probably.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

gently caress me, the next DC set is a Batman Animated Series set. http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585397
No complaining allowed!

quote:

In addition to the heroes and villains of Gotham, fans will be delighted to learn that there are characters from Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond, and the Super-Friends! The HeroClix team has taken special care to showcase characters from beloved episodes that have never been Clixed before like Zeta, Leslie Thompkins, Maxie Zeus, Kyodai Ken, The Clock King, The Phantasm, Riddler’s Robot Minotaur, Apache Chief, and others!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
gently caress me is a way of expressing surprise, definitely not a bad thing. I didn't actually read the solicit properly either, didn't notice it said JLU. So that means a few much needed figures hopefully.

I've always wanted a Phantasm click and this is pretty much the only way that was ever going to happen. I definitely need a TAS Two Face and Clayface as well. Reckon the Super Friends are the chases?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was the 2018 game. I ended up running team 1. I wanted to give the furies a whirl.

Quick recaps cause long ones are impossible.

Round 1 versus a 22 person Avengers team.

We played on the garden. His highest point dude was a Thor Odinson and after initial turns I focused all fire on him and KO’d him first. Dropped despair AND basically got a free turn since KOing the Odinson prevented his whole team from moving or attacking next turn. That let me just tee off and get 4 despair tokens on steppenwolf and it became almost impossible for him to hit me. He did nail a crit on a demon to KO it but it was too late

Round 2 versus a 24 person X-men team with a splitlip (via chase mags)and book of the skull

I lost map and ended up on the prison. I stole the hammer that gives the ability to break walls. This was a bad map for me. It hosed everything I try to do with this team. EVERYTHING. We only got 2.5 turns or so in cause we both had so much poo poo going on. He managed to get Lydea Mallor, I got Iceman and Vampire Wolverine. I managed to get an outwit off on NC to turn off his bullshit and stop me from losing Darkseid early which was big. Slow game though and I feel bad about a win like that

Round 3 versus a 16 person Asgardian Team.

First BRB team. I did the TK trick mentioned in the thread and killed his cloud power with nick fury. Then focused fire all over Odinson and KO’d him. He wasn’t the highest so no despair but I did get a free turn. Managed to get 2 despair tokens and then he made like 15 attacks by using Hogan’s special charge to grant charge. He got demons and then hosed my positioning with enchantress. In the middle of my next turn Time was called. We wanted to keep playing to see how it would end but it was already very late and my wife was very annoyed.

So yay Apokolips remains undefeated but we won dirty this year. Maybe it’s time to move on?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Tonight we played a game we haven't touched in a few years: No Whammies! The judge provides a special red die that's added to all attack rolls, and instead of regular crit hits and misses you have the following rules: a red die matching the lowest of the two regular die is a crit miss, and matching the highest is a crit hit, even if the attack would otherwise hit or miss regularly. Rolling a natural 6-6-6 instantly KOs the hit figure, and 1-1-1 instantly KOs the attacker. Once per game each player may declare one attack to be rerolled but you can use prob or otherwise alter dice.

Round 1 I played a Fly Baxter, regular Baxter, six Mousers and three Mouser Swarms. I went against a Star Trek hodgepodge that also needlessly had Nighthawk prime shoehorned onto it. He slowly sniped my dudes with his Lt Kyle TKing out shooters but I kept making more Mousers, eventually I was up in his face and he crit missed a few times and I got a bunch of Tribbles. Right as time was being called I was making an attack on Mirror Universe Spock and got 666, which was just enough to put me over on points for the win.

Round 2 I played Queen Bee with two hive commanders and a bevy of troopers New and old featuring at least two full REVs of the old ones. Queenie provided Sidestep and made two worthwhile Bee Drones and did nothing else all game against Slosh Lex and Toyman with an army of toys. We played the dark dimension and he managed to get a teddy bear to teleport into my base and hit everyone with a pulse wave; in return I made a Bee Drone and sent it to tie down a gaggle of toys, three of which crit missed to death attempting to kill it. The 8 range on the vets was too far for him to handle and eventually he moved Lex up to where the commanders could get enhanced psy blasts off and KO him in two shots. At the end one lone Monkey was all that remained against the Bee swarm. That Sidestep makes the older figures so useful, especially the smoke cloud rookies with all the stealth.

Round 3 a federation team of LE Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Chekhov, Sulu, Scott, Kyle, Chapel, and a red shirt vs TT GL, LE Aquaman, LE atom, and Guardian. Uhura stole GL TA and I mass carried my team up, then he moved Aquaman and Atom close. I blew up the object Atom was standing on, triple perplex'd Chekov's attack thanks to Scott's salvage, used Spock's trait, and shot Atom just for him to roll a 6 on Senses. In retaliation, GL chose EE and went for a running shot that missed. He used his once per game reroll and got 111 to instantly KO himself. Aquaman pushed to charge and would've KO'd Sulu but the red shirt did his duty instead. I pushed to dismantle Aquaman and knock Atom down a few clicks, then Atom KO'd Sulu while Guardian Quaked Chekhov. Lots of Perplexes to attack and damage punched through Guardians reducers from my lesser mooks to KO him, and Spock got a nerve pinch on Atom for the final KO and a 3-0 victory that netted me a sweet Mr. Mind...I mean Skeets.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I played a Trelane-led Star Trek monster team against a Guardians of the Galaxy team. Most fun part of the game is Yondu going apeshit and basically shishkebobbing all of my Tribbles in one turn. But shirtless Sulu turned the tide and managed to snag me the win.

Trelane's crazy die-replacement power also swung the game to me. I kept rolling sixes and ones.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Tonight was 300 Golden. I figured since this was MLK Day weekend, I'd play a team entirely of black heroes. I ran AoU Black Panther, OP kit Falcon, and CACW War Machine plus the Knobbed Mace for Panther. We only had four people so we only did two rounds. First round I went against Bombshell Zatanna and DKR Superman on the Yu-Gi-Oh Toon World map. I won handily due to careful positioning and then baiting (with War Machine, who hit Impervious twice), followed by Outwit from Black Panther on Superman after War Machine KOed Zatanna to get rid of her Prob. Second round was against Lt. Kyle, Nurse Chapel,. Lt. Sulu, (initially) two Tribbles, and two Hortas. This was on the Underground Caverns map, which again meant Panther was in his element. This was harder-fought with Falcon and War Machine going down after I KOed his Lt. Kyle, but after Outwits from Panther helping get one Horta KOed and Falcon Flurrying two Tribbles I ended up KOing the second Horta to come out ahead on points. We overcame and I got Colossus for my efforts.

Next week is 1,000 Golden and the week after is 1,500 Golden. For the latter I'm thinking about running Galactus at 900 and bringing some of his Heralds. I don't know. At this point I'm just trying to bring whatever wacky bullshit I can come up with, mainly to use figures I've never used before or pull off a trick I've never pulled off before.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

ManiacClown posted:

At this point I'm just trying to bring whatever wacky bullshit I can come up with, mainly to use figures I've never used before or pull off a trick I've never pulled off before.

This is the ideal approach to the entire game.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1,500 is enough points to do Apokolips right. Provided you have the core team and enough parademons.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

1,500 is enough points to do Apokolips right. Provided you have the core team and enough parademons.

Darkseid help me, I do not. They keep making the damned things SRs and chases and I haven't gotten any HQGG because I'm too damned broke. The best Darkseid I have is either SLOSH or Crisis. I'm considering Legion of Doom so I can use All My Teammates Are Useless with the purple and green Skull Ship, but I'm looking at other possibilities. I also considered Galactus at 600 and several of his Heralds with IC V Firelord as the free Herald, but I'd probably get my rear end handed to me. That's my secondary goal these days: give a good account of myself while at the same time pulling off wacky bullshit.

For the 1,000-point game I'm looking at a Politician team because the Presidential inauguration sometimes falls on January 20th. That'll let me trot out the DC10 Lex Luthor + GCPD trick. However, the only qualifying Commissioner Gordon I have is the Joker's Wild version and I don't think anyone else has Politician, Gotham City, and Police, so that idea would likely deflate pretty quickly absent a backup trick. I'm also considering Avengers again, this time to let me use the full lineup of AOU Hank Pym Morphs (absent the collector's set because gently caress paying $50 for that thing).

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I played 400 points of Starfleet last night, featuring Title Kirk and Chekov, Pike and Redshirts (including Kyle and Leslie) on the sideline, none of whom ever got in because the most plot points I ever managed to get on was 2, since I can't attack walls and have them count for attacks. That was my first use of a Title Character. I also had Fencing Sulu on the sideline, but I never got the chance to bring him in, either.

I was late, so I got the first round bye.

Second round, I went up against the Starter Set Away Team with 3 Redshirts to fill out the points on the Forbidden Planet map - wide open, not the best for me. I set up for alpha strike with Title Kirk on Enemy Kirk, probbed it 4 times, and two of those times gave me a crit miss, including the final time. The Away Team's range advantage got to me, and although I managed to get a pretty powerful Spock hit, thanks to Uhura and Scotty perplex, on Enemy Scotty, the Redshirt took the hit, and I got mopped up.

Third round, I went up against an Invaders team of Steve Rogers, Radiance, Winter Soldier and US Agent. This one worked more to my advantage on the flip side of the map which I can't remember the name of, but it had plenty of blocking terrain and indoor terrain to work around. Managed to get Sulu around to alpha on US Agent, while Steve went after Uhura's uber-Perplex and got her down to the last click, but she was able to escape back to McCoy and Chapel. Meanwhile, Scotty and Uhura beefed up Spock, and Spock used his 'logic' trait to make sure his roll was a 7, enough to hit Steve. That was the only time out of 4 times I tried using that power and it worked. Every other time, making sure all I needed was a 5, I'd roll under that - including another crit miss. Still not sure in what context one would ever use McCoy's power, unless you absolutely needed a 10 to hit anyway, so might as well make that a critical hit chance. Anyway, Sulu, Kirk and Yeoman Rand flanked the indoor house to take care of US Agent, then capped Radiance (who didn't hit anything) and aced Steve. Winter Soldier never really got a chance to engage.

Now that I realize Title Kirk needs to be in there swinging, I'd like to try him again, because beaming in other dudes seems awesome. Yeoman Rand's ability to keep tokens off of him is a big help, too.

So I got the Uncanny Avengers OP trio - was Scarlet Spider actually on that team? Anyone know anything about Synapse? Never heard of the character.

Also, I have 2 total Thor 3 figs, so I sprung for 4 more. 2 of them were the same Thor I already had, the third was the other Thor, and the fourth was Loki. Boo. Can't I get a Hulk? At least I have Goldblum.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This X Men set is pretty weird huh? Barring the Old Man Logan SR and any surprises I pretty much only want the Jubilee since I never got the WaXM one and there's like, a few other characters I could maybe see getting. Hoping Rockslide is in one of the yet to be revealed slots and hoping there's at least one or two more villains since there's a lot of X Men villains who need making/remaking (how have they done two rounds of Age of Apocalypse chases and not made a bloody Apocalypse?).

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Darkseid help me, I do not. They keep making the damned things SRs and chases and I haven't gotten any HQGG because I'm too damned broke. The best Darkseid I have is either SLOSH or Crisis. I'm considering Legion of Doom so I can use All My Teammates Are Useless with the purple and green Skull Ship, but I'm looking at other possibilities. I also considered Galactus at 600 and several of his Heralds with IC V Firelord as the free Herald, but I'd probably get my rear end handed to me. That's my secondary goal these days: give a good account of myself while at the same time pulling off wacky bullshit.

For the 1,000-point game I'm looking at a Politician team because the Presidential inauguration sometimes falls on January 20th. That'll let me trot out the DC10 Lex Luthor + GCPD trick. However, the only qualifying Commissioner Gordon I have is the Joker's Wild version and I don't think anyone else has Politician, Gotham City, and Police, so that idea would likely deflate pretty quickly absent a backup trick. I'm also considering Avengers again, this time to let me use the full lineup of AOU Hank Pym Morphs (absent the collector's set because gently caress paying $50 for that thing).

SLOSH IS the perfect Darkseid for Apokolips though.

Basically the absolute must plays are

SLOSH Darkseid
Steppenwolf
Brutaal

Then it’s a pile of the Parademons from JLTW. 10 or so?
A few of the Parademons that give mastermind

Then it’s a bunch of whatever else works

Morand fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 15, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

I played 400 points of Starfleet last night
In an odd coincidence, I also played Starfleet yesterday; 500 points in my case.

My team was Title Kirk, Mr. Spock, Lt. Sulu, Ensign Chekov, Nurse Chapel, Evil Kirk, Lt. Uhura, and the starter versions of Mr. Scott and Dr. McCoy. I had Lt. Kyle and a redshirt on the sideline for beam-in purposes, as well as Shirtless Kirk and Sulu for beam-in/ripping their shirts for a turn. (My venue has a highlander rule so I also brought Christopher Pike in case Evil Kirk got disallowed, but he wasn't.) I was aware that the team had flaws -- low mobility, no carry, cruddy range -- but figured if I lost horribly, I'd lose horribly playing a fun Star Trek team that I wanted to play.

Round 1 was against a Hydra team of Cosmic X-23, Dreadpool, and Wolverine, Agent of Hydra. Uhura stole the Hydra TA for my team, which I greatly appreciated. My opponent did not appreciate it, as between Spock and Sulu's Enhancement, Scotty's flat +1 to damage for the team, and the fact that I was running a swarm who wanted to stay close together anyway, I was turning all his defenses into 15s and 14s and then shooting him for 5 or 6 damage each time I hit. He tried to stop me by basing with Dreadpool, but Evil Kirk ripped his shirt and KO'd Dreadpool with his two CCEs for 5 damage each. I won in a brutal, easy clean sweep.

Round 2 was against a non-themed but comic-accurate team of Deadpool's Uncanny Avengers lineup: Deadpool, Old Man Cap, Synapse, Spider-Man, Rogue, and Dr. Voodoo. Uhura took the X-Men TA but I never got a chance to use it. I shot Deadpool up early, knocking him to a Ridiculous Regeneration click, and then the game turned badly against me when Title Kirk and Lt. Sulu got KO'd and Evil Kirk took some hits. I was then based by Rogue, who was on a click with a 19 defense and poison and seemed quite content to hang out poisoning my damage reducer-lacking team. However, I realized that Uhura was still quite alive, Shirtless Kirk has an 11 attack on all his clicks, and 12+7 is 19. Kirk ripped his shirt, I used Spock's logic lock, and the 5 damage CCE was enough to KO Rogue. With my team freed up we shot Spider-Man to death that same turn, which swung the game decisively in my favor. Deadpool got an unlucky roll on his ridiculous regen and then I logic locked an attack on Dr. Voodoo to make him take it (since the roll can't be rerolled), and that was it.

Round 3 was against a Justice League team of HQGG god chases: Flash, Superman, and Green Lantern. Uhura took the GL TA, which helped a great deal early on, as my opponent was afraid of my team and hung back, forcing me to come box him in, so being able to only put tokens on two of my characters (and alternating which two did the carrying) was a big deal. Once I got in close to his starting area, he had Flash run up, punch someone, and then run away to the other side of the board -- very annoying. He had also correctly identified my team's strengths, and was going after McCoy and Scotty to stop the flat +1s they were handing out to the entire team rather than getting distracted by the attackers. McCoy went down, but I got two very lucky breaks; first Green Lantern ran out to shoot Mr. Scott and rolled a crit miss, and then Flash ran up to hit him and succeeded... but rolled a 1 to break away when he tried to run back. With Flash exposed and my +1 damage intact, I KO'd Flash that turn, then turned on Green Lantern, KOing him too. I lost Nurse Chapel in the process so I was now out of medics, but with all my attackers alive against only Superman, it didn't matter. As long as Scotty's boosting damage, everyone on the team can bust Invincible, if only for a click or two of damage each time, and once he dropped to Invul Kirk psyblasted him to death.

Starfleet turns out to be much greater than the sum of its parts. Each piece is good on its own, but as you add more and more and they all hand out bonuses to each other, the synergy is tremendous. They've got so much flexibility on points -- Nurse Chapel was only there because I had 15 points left over -- but everyone helps. In this case, having two medics meant that unless you KO'd a piece in one turn or based them, they'd just get healed right back up. The team has tremendous damage output and ate tentpoles alive by out-actioning them. They absolutely have weaknesses -- low range, no transporters of any sort, no improved movement or targeting -- but with so many of them on the team, I won map every round and got to pick map to mitigate those things. Chase Kirk swung the game in my first two rounds and sadly there was no time in which ripping my shirt would have helped in round 3 and I never got to bring in Chase Sulu, and Kirk never built up enough tokens to beam anyone in -- he got KO'd quick in round 2 and in rounds 1 and 3 ended the game with two and three plot points respectively, as they were over very quickly. Of course, I did win all those games, so those are only minor disappointments at best.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wait, does an HSS character have to roll breakaway in the middle of his HSS action if he bases and CLOSE attacks?

Also, now it sounds like I have to get Chase Kirk. And congrats on the logic lock working much better for you than it did for me. Although I completely forgot about Uhura's team-stealing power for my second game.

Also, I got a bunch of card boxes so I can take all my cards out of unwieldy binders and put them in easier-to-deal-with card boxes. However, I'm tempted to no longer group them by set, but just massively alphabetical for all character cards, separated only into DC/Marvel/Other (although I'd keep it within sets for Other, I think). My figures aren't organized by set, but rather by logical themely groupings in general.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 16, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Wait, does an HSS character have to roll breakaway in the middle of his HSS action if he bases and CLOSE attacks?
Yup. Move, attack, move again, and no IM: Characters. The tradeoff is that Plasticity is no longer a total shutdown, because you stop before attacking anyway.

As for organization, I do Marvel/DC/Other, but I absolutely organize the cards by set. Any other grouping and you get to play eternal games of "now what arbitrary group did I put that character in, they could fit in any one of several" and end up unsure if you actually own a piece or not.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

CapnAndy posted:

Yup. Move, attack, move again, and no IM: Characters. The tradeoff is that Plasticity is no longer a total shutdown, because you stop before attacking anyway.

As for organization, I do Marvel/DC/Other, but I absolutely organize the cards by set. Any other grouping and you get to play eternal games of "now what arbitrary group did I put that character in, they could fit in any one of several" and end up unsure if you actually own a piece or not.

Shows how often I play HSS.

And that, yes, is a problem with the figures, but there's also a lot of cross-pollination where you're looking for a guy and you come across other guys you wouldn't have thought of, and it trains you to a whole different theme altogether, etc. Having every drat Batman in the same box is also helpful.

As far as the cards, though, you wouldn't have that problem if you just to flat alphabetical with every Marvel card there is. Starts with B, it's in the Bs, regardless of what set it was in. But i do need to get dividers, though - any cardbox dividers that would work well to write letters or sets on? It's a little small for index cards.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Get some Ultra Pro clear card storage boxes. Then you can see the first card's letter - and see that whole box is that letter.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I organize my cards purely alphabetically. For the same name, I organize within that by set. Within a set, I then organize by collector's number. I just have some alphabetical divider inserts for mine, but then again I do use an actual card file box that I need to get another of.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm thinking I might keep them separated by set so I can keep better track of what pieces I still need or don't have.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was 300 points for booster gold.

I ran 5 Bat-Knights because I finally managed to get enough for a 300 point team and I wanted to try them out.

Round 1 versus Asgardians.

TMT Lady Thor
Baldur
Asgardian Warrior
Enchantress

I won map and chose the premium warehouse. Having a spot with enough hindering that enchantress couldn’t gently caress with me too bad was key. He left baldur open early not next to any asgardians and I got 2shots off on him. Lady Thor charged in and hit one sentry to its last click. It incapped her off impervious and other sentries with empower just wrecked her. Warrior ko’d The last click sentry and got wrecked. Cam down to all sentries left via enchantress and she missed her first shape change and that was that

Round 2 versus X-men

WKO Forge
UXM 50 point cyclops
UXM 50 point Wolverine
WATX Jean Grey
Sunfire with his prime sidelined
OP Kit Banshee
Colossus ID with 50 point colossus

This is a super shooty team and I really needed to win map roll. Thankfully my opponent crit missed his map roll and we went to the black mercy. Early on was positioning, I slowly sidestepped up and he moved down. First attack went to him as he TK’d out banshee and hit one of my drones to last click with PW but banshee had to push to do it. I took 3 shots on banshee and rolled 3 straight 6’s when I needed a 7. That was the beginning of a bad stretch of rolling. He TK’d sunfire and pulsed my hurt drone and KO’d it but missed the top dial one. Sidestepped up and took a close combat shot on banshee and rolled a 5 which hit as he only had a 16. The object damage managed to KO him. Another drone with empower and an object hit sunfire and made the prime come out. My opponent then TK’d sunfire back and pulled in colossus to give his team impervious. I positioned. I then made something like 8 straight attacks over 2 turns, including 4 rams that all would have hit multiple figures and rolled nothing but 3’s and 4’s. I got very frustrated. I even had to leave one out in the open as I was trying to nail that sunfire for 120 points. He had Jean take a shot but I hit KC. Forge then shot with the intention of neutralizer gunning me but missed. Back to hindering and more misses. Switched my die and proceed to prob into a crit miss.
I then reacted poorly as I threw my dice across the gaming space towards the trash can. I missed the trash can and greatly amused the gaming staff at the store. That was super immature of me so yeah.

He got sunfire next to a pushed drone and after it cleared, hit and poisoned it to its last click.the drone incapped him for KO but died for punching him. Managed to finally hit some rams and hurt his team bad. Nom ramming drones took shots for finishing off things.

If I hadn’t won map I’d have lost that game hard.

Round 3 versus Star Trek

Prime Kirk
Lt Sulu with shirtless chase on the sideline
Starter Mccoy and Scotty for defense and damage boosts
Ensign Chekov

I won map and stayed on the mercy map. I made every single attack, including several multi target rams. He never could shoot me back and I just poured on the damage. Came down to Kirk v world and he just couldn’t pull it out.

So despite some lovely die luck I managed to finish 3-0and win booster. I made sure to spend money at the store as an apology for being a giant child. I’m not going to make that a habit.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This coming weekend is 1,500 Golden with no special restrictions. I'd thought of running the Legion of Doom, Galactus and some Heralds, or some other thing, but I think I've come up with an even better idea: Hulks.
pre:
TMT056	Maestro		250
  +	Bloodaxe
  +	Enchanted Crowbar
  +	Thunderstrike
AOU019	Hulk		80
AAOU008	Hulk		300
AVM202	Hulk		255
MU062	Rampaging Hulk	128
MU102	Incredible Hulk	113
SFSMS101 Symbiote	6
FEAT	Fortitude x6	150
FEAT	Repulsor	150
	Shield x6
ATA	Mighty Avengers	12
	x4
WOLR208	Black Battery	2
	Black Ring	6
	Decoy		6
	Stop Sign	8
	Wall		10
	Mallet		4
	Boxing Glove	8
	Scissors	8
---------------------------
		Total:	1500
Everybody gets Fortitude and Repulsor Shield— even AOU Hulk, because otherwise, I've got to fill that point hole (and I didn't get the TMT starter) and throwing any more Hulks in risks breaking the Brute theme I need to try to get an edge on map roll so I can stay indoors. That way I shut down Outwit, Exploit Weakness, Psychic Blast, Ranged Combat Expert, and (for whatever it matters) Force Blast. Maestro brings some toys for the ring-slinging Hulks to play with, getting the Bloodaxe himself with his Flurry and doling out the Enchanted Crowbar to one of the movie Hulks and Thunderstrike to the other or maybe Rampaging Hulk so he can stay as close as possible to top-dial to keep churning out objects for his other selves to use. Somebody gets the Symbiote because why not? Maybe it's AOU Hulk to make him harder to get rid of because otherwise his presence frustrates opposing attacks a bit. Thinking it over, though, maybe Rampaging Hulk should get the Bloodaxe because he's able to make better use of it in terms of both damage increase and Steal Energy use. I'd probably give him the Symbiote too.

As for Constructs, I'd give the Mallet to AAOU Hulk as he's a giant who can Charge. The other would probably get the Boxing Glove. Maestro probably gets the Decoy because he's a whole mess o' mean-mad and that should help keep him healthier longer. I'd give the Wall to someone I'd have a movie Hulk tote around so they can pop Barrier to shield them from fire (particularly Pulse Wave) and give the rest out just because or after the Battery spins way up and I can double-assign. For map I'd probably go with Realm of Death so I can pick up equipment in peace while I also assign Constructs.

Is this a killer team? Probably not, especially if they can get off single-target Pulse Waves. However, it'd be drat fun.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

While we're talking Hulks, is there a way to identify any Marvel characters who could be considered gamma-irradiated? I wanted to do a gamma-themed game for a home scenario, but wanted something easier than a long list of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

While we're talking Hulks, is there a way to identify any Marvel characters who could be considered gamma-irradiated? I wanted to do a gamma-themed game for a home scenario, but wanted something easier than a long list of characters.
Anyone with "Hulk" in their name except for Hulkbusters, the Leader, Abomination, A-Bomb, Doc Samson, Mighty Thorr, and Wolverage. That's the list.