Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I'd argue that on Hard, Trails in the Sky can be boring too because enemies are even bigger damage sponges than usual, combined with your nerfed damage output (especially physicals) guarantees that you're hacking away at them until the cows come home, even if you're able to manage the damage they dish out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only thing that stops Trails combat being boring is the speed up button, and then only to a certain extent.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

I've had my eyes on YS VIII but got scared away from buying the game when I heard about the shoddy translation. Did anyone play it and what's your opinion regarding it?

I've very recently just finished Ys VIII so I can say that the game is perfectly playable as it is. What the localisation does is make a lot of things overly literal, but it isn't so bad that you won't get what's going on. It just doesn't sound natural. The game's major crime is that a bunch of the cooked foods' effect descriptions are messed up.

But really, even after that it was seriously by 2017 GOTY. It is so much fun to play.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I finished Cold Steel yesterday. Fantastic game. Ending had all of the game-changing nonsense I expect from the series, not that I was able to predict much of what was happening.

As soon as "DOST THOU DESIRE THE POWER" popped up on my screen I started joking about how I suddenly landed in a Xenogears crossover.

Then I finished the rest of the game and it felt like even less of a joke. poo poo, I even had to refuel my gear during combat. Grahf being an Ouroboros head would totally work.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Terper posted:

Get ready for Calvard to be influenced by Undertale

This is funny because Toby was a huge Brandish fan as a kid, mostly due to the kickin rad Falcom music.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

iirc Kondo said his favorite game of 2017 that he actually played was World of Tanks

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sakurazuka posted:

The only thing that stops Trails combat being boring is the speed up button, and then only to a certain extent.

I didn't find the combat boring, hell its the only thing keeping me interested in CS.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have plenty of fun with Trails' combat, more so than a lot of other JRPGs I can think of from recent history. There is enough there with trying to find the most optimal sort of setup with your quartz (especially when Cold Steel introduces the Master Quartz) that I felt compelled to constantly try out a ton of combinations and setups and characters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cold steel combat on hard is fun and there's only one fight that could be a major roadblock later on

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

The Colonel posted:

cold steel combat on hard is fun and there's only one fight that could be a major roadblock later on

Cold Steel on hard was a lot of fun. The last fight in the mines killed me a few times and I had a few close calls/"oh this one boss fight has aoe lasers and I'm standing in a line. gently caress" but never felt it was too difficult.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Is it like Sky hard where the first game on hard is fine but the second game wants revenge with its first boss?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really.

You will probably struggle in the beginning a bit because you don't really have all your tools but even then nah.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BrightWing posted:

Is it like Sky hard where the first game on hard is fine but the second game wants revenge with its first boss?

Nope, I played CS2 on Hard all the way through and I had no problems.

It's worth knowing going into CS that while the overall battle system is pretty similar to Sky, due to the changes to the Orbments, spells are not as insane as they were in Sky and Crafts are INSANE. Almost every offensive Craft you get is an AoE and you gain so much CP it's disgusting.

Imagine Richard in 3rd, but with enough CP to actually use a Craft every single turn, without fail.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BrightWing posted:

CS2 isn't brutally hard but it was enough of an increase over CS1 that I had to adjust. Enemies all do more damage, and lots of bosses have a big heal & buff that lets them take another turn right after.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The cold steel games actually have designed difficulty modes and normal is pretty easy to begin with vs Sky just having had multipliers added in a rerelease.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
CS2 gives insane amount of tools for offense, to be fair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terper posted:

Get ready for Calvard to be influenced by Undertale

the world is dog :shittydog:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Motto posted:

The cold steel games actually have designed difficulty modes and normal is pretty easy to begin with vs Sky just having had multipliers added in a rerelease.

tbh I think cold steel is multipliers too they just made sure the numbers still generally work when you scale them

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Some Numbers posted:

Imagine Richard in 3rd, but with enough CP to actually use a Craft every single turn, without fail.

Mine did. Maximum cp gain :colbert:

Edit: it is funny to think cold steel barely had any single target craft, ever

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

Edit: it is funny to think cold steel barely had any single target craft, ever

Alisa, Laura, Jusis and Machias have a single target Craft each and I think that's it? Unless you count Detector.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Even those single-target crafts have been buffed, since all four of those have multiple properties. Alisa's craft is impede+burn, Laura's craft is defense down + seal + big unbalance bonus, Jusis' craft is impede + delay and Machias' craft has impede + defense down.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Angelica has a single target craft.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Hell impede crafts that have any sort of bonus on top of the impede is a huge step up from what Sky gives you. There was like 2 characters with an aoe impede?

My favorite combo in 3rd was stacking attack on Josh and the super gladiator belt for dual strike spam, evil eye ex for normal fights, and phantom raid on demand.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Also line crafts are way way better in CS because you can aim the line wherever you want. Idk if you get crafts with bigger lines in Sky but from what I've played being able to hit even two enemies with a line is not super common.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I love whenever characters have attacks that hit more than once. Arcane Gale, Binding Chains, Shadow Stitch are the best.

Terper fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 15, 2018

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BrightWing posted:

Hell impede crafts that have any sort of bonus on top of the impede is a huge step up from what Sky gives you. There was like 2 characters with an aoe impede?

5 eventually. Estelle's Hard Break upgrades to Medium AOE, Agate's Draguna Edge is a medium-sized line, Josette's Orbal Bomb is Medium AOE and grid-targettable, Alan Richard's Luminous Wheel is Medium AOE and Ries' Arc Fencer is a Medium-sized line that's grid-targettable though it doesn't reach all the way across the screen.

da beeper king BABY posted:

Also line crafts are way way better in CS because you can aim the line wherever you want. Idk if you get crafts with bigger lines in Sky but from what I've played being able to hit even two enemies with a line is not super common.

I think Joshua's Flicker is the only craft that always remains a narrow line and that's because its AT-Delay effect is so potent. Estelle's Comet upgrades to a medium-sized line, Agate's Draguna Edge is a medium-sized line from the get-go, Ries' Arc Fencer is a medium-sized line too, as is Renne's Calamity Throw. Only Ries' craft is grid-targettable though.

Terper posted:

I love whenever characters have attacks that hit more than once. Arcane Gale, Binding Chains, Shadow Stitch are the best.

Yeah, what makes them even better is the fact that since the hits count as separate attacks, Impede and Status Ailment quartz is twice as effective too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've played it, but I think it'd be cool to spoiler the last two party members of the 3rd, since they were a dope as hell surprise to me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

I think Joshua's Flicker is the only craft that always remains a narrow line and that's because its AT-Delay effect is so potent.

In retrospect, comparing Josh's Flicker to Rean's Arc Slash is hilarious.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I feel that time gems and quartz and people have always been the most overpowered

Space and mirage need to get their dang act together

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That does kind of bear out, as Rean and Fie have the Time locks in Cold Steel and they're both broken as poo poo.

Kevin less so that them or Joshua though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

look forward to cs3 in which fie can stack multiple turns of stealth to become literally invincible

actually i don't know whether or not you can do that in cs2. i never tried because ha ha why would that be possible

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I mean Fie is already sorta invincible in CS2 if you get her Evade to 100%, more on top of that is just for show really.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

lets hang out posted:

look forward to cs3 in which fie can stack multiple turns of stealth to become literally invincible

actually i don't know whether or not you can do that in cs2. i never tried because ha ha why would that be possible

I don't believe you can make Fie entirely invincible, but in CS1 and CS2 you can get 100% evade on her. It's easier in 2, and also much better because she has a ranged counter.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The natural 30% evade makes getting to 100% super easy, so you can shove a couple of Shield quartz and also give her a decent shot of dodging spells.

It's so easy that you can ditch Falco in favor of Murakumo to make her autocrits deal even more damage.

The dodgetank build is so stupidly good in CS2 once you get Wrath.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Evade doesn't work against s-crafts but stealth removes her as a target entirely and if she's the only character alive also basically turns off the enemy AI so that they won't self-buff or heal or whatever. Going into exaltation mode heals bosses some percentage so it's a concern in CS3.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 16, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

lets hang out posted:

Evade doesn't work against s-crafts but stealth removes her as a target entirely and if she's the only character alive also basically turns off the enemy AI so that they won't self-buff or heal or whatever. Going into exaltation mode heals bosses some percentage so it's a concern in CS3.

Sure, but if you're fighting against something with an S-Craft, you shift gears to the Rean Delay Train.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Some Numbers posted:

Sure, but if you're fighting against something with an S-Craft, you shift gears to the Rean Delay Train.
No matter how many times I play the CS games this will always be hilarious

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Aw yisss, diagonal bumping in Ys II is way more reliable - plus the magic. The first game felt more like a rite or passage, but I'm looking forward to finishing this one.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Started up Ys Origin, anything I should really know? Seems like a really arcade-y top down arpg, which works for me. Beat the second boss as Yunucia already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

BrightWing posted:

Started up Ys Origin, anything I should really know? Seems like a really arcade-y top down arpg, which works for me. Beat the second boss as Yunucia already.

Make sure you get all of the weapon upgrades otherwise the game will rapidly go to hell

besides that, same stuff that applies to oath: don't get hit