Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

The dark side gives power- unlimited power! But rather than that power accomplishing what one hopes for, it simply allows you to dominate others; this meaning that yes, the dark side is simply the one who uses it, and the destruction of everything else.

Have you heard of this character 'Anakin Skywalker'?

So what you're saying is that Rey, with her unlimited power, ability and willingness to dominate others, and subconscious solipsism, is the embodiment of the "dark side".

This is probably best shown in her faith in her ability to win ober Kylo Ren, when it turns out that Kylo Ren has a mind and ideas of his own. Instead of reflecting on this, she goes back to the campaign to restore the Senate and the Jedi Order, having learned nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So what you're saying is that Rey, with her unlimited power, ability and willingness to dominate others, and subconscious solipsism, is the embodiment of the "dark side".

This is probably best shown in her faith in her ability to win ober Kylo Ren, when it turns out that Kylo Ren has a mind and ideas of his own. Instead of reflecting on this, she goes back to the campaign to restore the Senate and the Jedi Order, having learned nothing.

No. The cave is a place you go to confront the dark side, and are shown that it is within you.

Have you ever watched a Star Wars movie?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

No. The cave is a place you go to confront the dark side, and are shown that it is within you.

Have you ever watched a Star Wars movie?

Your arguments are becoming poetically banal. What the cavern is actually showing is that Rey is the dark side. That there is nothing in the mirror except herself is what the dark side is saying.

She's completely suckered by this narcissistic fantasy, and proceeds to act as if she was in the right by fighting the First Order. And in the moral universe of the movies, this is correct. The movie is itself the dark side.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 16, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Your arguments are becoming poetically banal. What the cavern is actually showing is that Rey is the dark side. That there is nothing in the mirror except herself is what the dark side is saying.

She's completely suckered by this narcissistic fantasy, and proceeds to act as if she was in the right by fighting Snoke and co.

No really, have you seen the scene that is being referenced from the Empire Strikes Back?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Your arguments are becoming poetically banal.

Most people just call it objective reality.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

No really, have you seen the scene that is being referenced from the Empire Strikes Back?

I know it’s Luke’s head in the Vader helmet right?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

Why does the Campbellian banality justify the narcissistic fantasy that is TLJ?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

You're just retreating to a pose of superiority to the material again. People tried to tell you this earlier, but this makes you come off as stupid, rather than smart, because you dismiss what you are seeing instead of interpreting it.

If your goal is to impress people by talking about Star Wars, you've failed. Badly. All you've done is prove that you cannot even interpret the banally obvious.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Maybe you should give this a shot yourself, given your intimate familiarity with narcissistic fantasies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

you dismiss what you are seeing instead of interpreting it.

It's rather straight-forward. The cave scene in ESB is an allusion to a Hero with a Thousand Faces:

Joseph Campbell posted:

And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; and where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.

The cave scene in TLJ goes even further with the New Age-y egocentrism. You're trying to frame it as a statement against narcissism, when in reality the movie's universe perfectly conforms with the narcissistic fantasy the scene presents - Rey is the truth, the path forward.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

It's rather straight-forward. The cave scene in ESB is an allusion to a Hero with a Thousand Faces:

The cave scene in TLJ goes even further with the New Age-y egocentrism. You're trying to frame it as a statement against narcissism, when in reality the movie's universe perfectly conforms with the narcissistic fantasy the scene presents - Rey is the truth, the path forward.

I'm not saying that Star Wars is not based on Campbell, I'm saying that this is straightforward to interpret and not an excuse to be dismissive. Since you insist on treating it as such you are unable to react in any way beyond constructing tautologies which reinforce your dismissal of the subject.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not saying that Star Wars is not based on Campbell, I'm saying that this is straightforward to interpret and not an excuse to be dismissive. Since you insist on treating it as such you are unable to react in any way beyond constructing tautologies which reinforce your dismissal of the subject.

What you're resisting is the idea of someone pointing out that Star Wars is not very good on the principle that it's detrimental to "interpreting" it, which apparently would prove that the Star Wars saga is equivalent to the Mahabharata. In truth Star Wars is spiritually barren.This is evident in how you're concerned with meaning over insight. Yes, the Dark Side signifies narcissistic destruction - that's largely its meaning - but Star Wars has little insight into the topic. This concern with signification over understanding is why you keep asking if I've seen the Star Wars movies to know what the cave scenes signify for them, instead of asking what those cave scenes say about nightmares and fantasy.

The cave scene in TLJ is simply a bland scene of a narcissistic fantasy. You can interpret this in several ways, none of them very flattering for the movie. The most interesting reading is that the main character takes the completely wrong lesson from it and becomes a villain, but it hardly improves TLJ:

The equivalent scene in John Boorman's Excalibur of a naked Lancelot battling himself is superior to those in ESB and TLJ. It's meaning is straight-forward, and the interesting part is in how it presents insight into the nature of nightmare. Lancelot's nudity for example is a very simple and effective device to underline the vulnerability one may feel in a nightmare.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 16, 2018

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Mods, please restrict BravestOfTheLamps from posting in all threads, except threads that BravestOfTheLamps creates.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

In truth Star Wars is spiritually barren.This is evident with how you're concerned with meaning over insight.

Star Wars is space opera. It's pulp storytelling, not friggin Ecclesiastes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain von Trapp posted:

Star Wars is space opera. It's pulp storytelling, not friggin Ecclesiastes.

"The whole genre is not as good as the Bible" is not really an excuse.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can this thread be about star wars and not a PhD thesis on why this isn't objectively the best movie/story ever?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

What you're resisting is the idea of someone pointing out that Star Wars is not very good on the principle that it's detrimental to "interpreting" it, which apparently would prove that the Star Wars saga is equivalent to the Mahabharata. In truth Star Wars is spiritually barren.This is evident in how you're concerned with meaning over insight. Yes, the Dark Side signifies narcissistic destruction - that's largely its meaning - but Star Wars has little insight into the topic. This concern with signification over understanding is why you keep asking if I've seen the Star Wars movies to know what the cave scenes signify for them, instead of asking what those cave scenes say about nightmares and fantasy.

The cave scene in TLJ is simply a bland scene of a narcissistic fantasy. You can interpret this in several ways, none of them very flattering for the movie. The most interesting reading is that the main character takes the completely wrong lesson from it and becomes a villain, but it hardly improves TLJ:

The equivalent scene in John Boorman's Excalibur of a naked Lancelot battling himself is superior to those in ESB and TLJ. It's meaning is straight-forward, and the interesting part is in how it presents insight into the nature of nightmare. Lancelot's nudity for example is a very simple and effective device to underline the vulnerability one may feel in a nightmare.

I don't care about whether Star Wars is "good" or not. It can be compared to the Mahabharata in the specific manner in which I made the comparison. For example, both feature protagonists who interact with alien beings.

The idea of faith granting supernatural powers you dismiss as unworthy, but you hold up the Mahabharata as an example of a work which of obvious superiority to Star Wars as a counterpoint to my demonstrating that in that work faith grants supernatural powers. This is a contradiction.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 16, 2018

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Can this thread be about star wars and not a PhD thesis on why this isn't objectively the best movie/story ever?

If that poster doesn’t like TLJ for the reason that they feel like it doesn’t carry any insight into the concepts it brings up and then posts interesting things about their thoughts then that is....about Star Wars ?

This discussion has been interesting to read imo

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It can be an interesting read, but BotL has a habit of taking poo poo to the extreme, belittling people that are interested in a thing for entertainment purposes which creates a hostile environment and basically silences discussion among people not interested in wrestling with a pit viper.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

It can be an interesting read, but BotL has a habit of taking poo poo to the extreme, belittling people that are interested in a thing for entertainment purposes which creates a hostile environment and basically silences discussion among people not interested in wrestling with a pit viper.

It’s a thread about star war thoughts OP, that poster has no power over you

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't care about whether Star Wars is "good" or not. It can be compared to the Mahabharata in the specific manner in which I made the comparison. For example, both feature protagonists who interact with alien beings.

The idea of faith granting supernatural powers you dismiss as unworthy, but you hold up the Mahabharata as an example of a work which of obvious superiority to Star Wars as a counterpoint to my demonstrating that in that work faith grants supernatural powers. This is a contradiction.

Your argument is that because Mahabharata did it, it's okay for Star Wars. It's a rather dull appeal to authority. You might quote a relevant passage from the Mahabharata and compare how Star Wars handles it. It's going to make Star Wars look terrible in comparison, but hey, go with it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Yeah, I feel like CD may not be the forum for you. It's probably best to go to the general discussion threads of one of the other forums filled with normal people and talk about Star Wars there. CD is like one of the worst places on Something Awful to talk about movies. To put it in Star Wars terms, it's the Dark Side. Everyone's just talking about themselves.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mulva posted:

Yeah, I feel like CD may not be the forum for you. It's probably best to go to the general discussion threads of one of the other forums filled with normal people and talk about Star Wars there. CD is like one of the worst places on Something Awful to talk about movies. To put it in Star Wars terms, it's the Dark Side. Everyone's just talking about themselves.

what on earth

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Your argument is that because Mahabharata did it, it's okay for Star Wars. It's a rather dull appeal to authority. You might quote a relevant passage from the Mahabharata and compare how Star Wars handles it. It's going to make Star Wars look terrible in comparison, but hey, go with it.

Yes, the point was simply that this thing which Star Wars did is not, in itself, bad. Star Wars could still be bad. Faith also grants supernatural powers in, say, various Bible Adventure games for the NES. It is simply neutral. I might go further, but I've already said that I've never been interested in whether Star Wars is good or not.

Unfortunately, Indian epics tend to translate awkwardly. More for comedy than argument, here's a quote:

quote:

"Vaisampayana continued, 'After the expiration, O king, of a year from this, Dhritarashtra, moved by kindness for the people, installed Yudhishthira, the son of Pandu, as the heir-apparent of the kingdom on account of his firmness, fortitude, patience, benevolence, frankness and unswerving honesty (of heart). And within a short time Yudhishthira, the son of Kunti, by his good behaviour, manners and close application to business, overshadowed the deeds of his father. And the second Pandava, Vrikodara, began to receive continued lessons from Sankarshana (Valarama) in encounters with the sword and the mace and on the chariot. And after Bhima's education was finished, he became in strength like unto Dyumatsena himself and continuing to live in harmony with his brothers, he began to exert his prowess. And Arjuna became celebrated for the firmness of his grasp (of weapons), for his lightness of motion, precision of aim, and his proficiency in the use of the Kshura, Naracha, Vala and Vipatha weapons, indeed, of all weapons, whether straight or crooked or heavy. And Drona certified that there was none in the world who was equal to Arjuna in lightness of hand and general proficiency.

"One day, Drona, addressing Arjuna before the assembled Kaurava princes, said, 'There was a disciple of Agastya in the science of arms called Agnivesa. He was my preceptor and I, his disciple. By ascetic merit I obtained from him a weapon called Brahmasira which could never be futile and which was like unto thunder itself, capable of consuming the whole earth. That weapon, O Bharata, from what I have done, may now pass from disciple to disciple. While imparting it to me, my preceptor said, 'O son of Bharadwaja, never shouldst thou hurl this weapon at any human being, especially at one who is of poor energy. Thou hast, O hero, obtained that celestial weapon. None else deserveth it. But obey the command of the Rishi (Agnivesa). And, look here, Arjuna, give me now the preceptorial fee in the presence of these thy cousins and relatives.' When Arjuna, on hearing this, pledged his word that he would give what the preceptor demanded, the latter said, 'O sinless one, thou must fight with me when I fight with thee.' And that bull among the Kuru princes thereupon pledged his word unto Drona and touching his feet, went away northward. Then there arose a loud shout covering the whole earth bounded by her belt of seas to the effect that there was no bowman in the whole world like unto Arjuna. And, indeed, Dhananjaya, in encounters with the mace and the sword and on the chariot as also with the bow, acquired wonderful proficiency. Sahadeva obtained the whole science of morality and duties from (Vrihaspati) the spiritual chief of celestials, and continued to live under the control of his brothers. And Nakula, the favourite of his brothers taught by Drona, became known as a skilful warrior and a great car-warrior (Ati-ratha). Indeed, Arjuna and the other Pandava princes became so powerful that they slew in battle the great Sauvira who had performed a sacrifice extending over three years, undaunted by the raids of the Gandharvas. And the king of the Yavanas himself whom the powerful Pandu even had failed to bring under subjection was brought by Arjuna under control. Then again Vipula, the king of the Sauviras, endued with great prowess, who had always shown a disregard for the Kurus, was made by the intelligent Arjuna to feel the edge of his power. And Arjuna also repressed by means of his arrows (the pride of) king Sumitra of Sauvira, also known by the name of Dattamitra who had resolutely sought an encounter with him. The third of the Pandava princes, assisted by Bhima, on only a single car subjugated all the kings of the East backed by ten thousand cars. In the same way, having conquered on a single car the whole of the south, Dhananjaya sent unto the kingdom of the Kurus a large booty.

"Thus did those foremost of men, the illustrious Pandavas, conquering the territories of other kings, extend the limits of their own kingdom. But beholding the great prowess and strength of those mighty bowmen, king Dhritarashtra's sentiments towards the Pandavas became suddenly poisoned, and from that day the monarch became so anxious that he could hardly sleep.'"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The cave makes Rey confront her fear of being alone, causing her to keep reaching out to Kylo. The reason she is so illogically drawn to him is because she feels like he is the only person who truly gets her, so she works backwards from there to justify how he can be her salvation. She wants him to save the galaxy and also to save her. She teeters on the brink of being won over by him and pulls back because he stupidly offers to murder her friends on the first date, which is frowned upon.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 16, 2018

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
*very BotLy voice* Stupidly? You mean heroically!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tender Bender posted:

The cave makes Rey confront her fear of being alone, causing her to keep reaching out to Kylo. The reason she is so illogically drawn to him is because she feels like he is the only person who truly gets her, so she works backwards from there to justify how he can be her salvation. She wants him to save the galaxy and also to save her. She teeters on the brink of being won over by him and pulls back because he stupidly offers to murder her friends on the first date, which is frowned upon.

a woman who wants a man to save her?

between this and poe, this film is truly misogynistic

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Finns gonna get hella laid in the next movie and be all like "dang good thing I missed hitting that laser tank".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

a woman who wants a man to save her?

between this and poe, this film is truly misogynistic

It turns out to be a bad idea and she leaves to work out some more so she can beat the poo poo out of him worse than she did the first time he asked her out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tender Bender posted:

Is this what happens in TLJ?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is this what happens in TLJ?

She calls Kylo "our last hope" when Luke won't help. She constantly puts up others as a totem because she just wants to go home. When kylo asks her to be his space queen she realizes it's the same old poo poo, and tries to kill him, before shutting a door in his face one last time.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i like BotLs take more. Rey is a loving nutter narcissist

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Is Finn a virgin? Or did he bang captain phasma and that's why she's so pissed about him dipping out? :thinking:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Captain von Trapp posted:

While I think this is a borderline disengenuous thing to say about a film with a gross well in excess of a billion dollars, it's funny nonetheless:

'Last Jedi' Has Set Its First Box Office Record: Biggest Ever Sequel-To-Sequel Plunge

This says more about TFA than it does TLJ...

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Rey should have been nude in the cave scene.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Nah, runner chick doesn't have boobs.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BarronsArtGallery posted:

This says more about TFA than it does TLJ...

TLJ is also one of the top 10 highest grossing films of all time, so let's not overreact here. Worldwide it's grossed over $1.26 billion. TFA also had a smaller drop from week 1 to week 2 (-39.8%) than TLJ (-67.5%). Which could imply more people saw TFA multiple times than people saw TLJ multiple times. Or it could imply that some people waited until week 2 to see TFA because they thought week 1 would be a mad house.

These numbers can be spun a ton of ways. The only real conclusion that can be drawn is that they both made a poo poo ton of money.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 16, 2018

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, the arguments about box office drop are confusing and in no way really coherent.

Would those same people argue ESB was a box office failure compared to ANH? Because both ESB And RotJ had bigger box office drops from the original that TLJ did compared to TFA.

ESB - 55% of ANH's take
RotJ - 57% of ANH's take
TLJ Currently - 67 % of TFA's take

You can pick out numbers from whatever week or country or movie to make whatever argument you want at this point. It doesn't necessarily make the overall argument valid, you're just pointing our some statistical fact.

At some point this week TLJ will pass $600M. It's already both the highest grossing domestic and worldwide movie of 2017 as of last week. Something several posters in here were fretting about just over two weeks ago. It's on track to finish $630-650M in US, and 1.3B+ overall.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Sure, why not?

bushisms.txt posted:

She calls Kylo "our last hope" when Luke won't help. She constantly puts up others as a totem because she just wants to go home. When kylo asks her to be his space queen she realizes it's the same old poo poo, and tries to kill him, before shutting a door in his face one last time.

All that is just because she's alpha. Rey is a total narcissist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mulva posted:

Lol

• Locked thread