Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Almost but not quite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbo2sxTeaxg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I kinda maybe sort of want to see this in action at least once before I die.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_salt-water_rocket

How about 'as you die' ?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh jeez they got footage

https://twitter.com/adharves/status/952842135039963136

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

:stare: yikes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well now we know where the Hyatt Regency engineers went.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

Well now we know where the Hyatt Regency engineers went.

My exact thoughts too.

Want to bet that it was a similar flaw?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm surprised there were no fatalities (yet). Lots of injuries though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/D14N_RY/status/952859535458279424

yiiikes

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

There's definitely fatalities.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

None reported yet. 72 injuries though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

My exact thoughts too.

Want to bet that it was a similar flaw?

This is how the prelapsarian room looked:

Only one level of walkway. It’s possible that the failed component is similar, but the design logic that created it will be different.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Azhais posted:

Nobody that would willingly use nuclear weapons on another nation deserves to survive to do it again

The trick is to demonize your enemy until your populace doesn't consider them human anymore.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

(Looks at snowmobile)

(Looks at 11'8" bridge)

"I have an idea..."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ChesterJT posted:

Stuck the landing!

Stunt Jump 1/50

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The trick is to demonize your enemy until your populace doesn't consider them human anymore.

Whoa hey just because he's black doesn't mean Japanese people aren't human.

Geeze, dude!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The fangs are a real nice touch.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Yawgmoth posted:

The fangs are a real nice touch.

I write all of my thank you notes with a stiletto.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Collateral Damage posted:

What's the Canadian version of a dixie horn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByKu8BwT5K4

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

So, you're saying we should have done a ground invasion then?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

There is some work that suggests it's more complicated than that.

quote:

Consider the rhetoric of white supremacy. White supremacists know about the humanity of Jews and black people and whoever else they’re discriminating against — and it terrifies them. One of their slogans is, “You will not replace us.” Think of what that means. That’s not what you chant if you thought they were roaches or subhuman. That’s what you chant at people you’re really worried about, people who you think are a threat to your status and way of life.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/14/16687388/violence-psychology-human-nature-cruelty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

yep

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Collateral Damage posted:

What's the Canadian version of a dixie horn?

A doppler-shifted series of apologies?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

I kinda maybe sort of want to see this in action at least once before I die.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_salt-water_rocket

You know, for years I thought a NSWR was just a normal nuclear-thermal rocket that used saltwater as reaction mass for some reason.

I recently looked it up and holy poo poo, it's so much scarier than I thought. :catstare:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

I recently looked it up and holy poo poo, it's so much scarier than I thought. :catstare:

"One design would generate 13 meganewtons of thrust at 66 km/s exhaust velocity (compared to ~4.5 km/s exhaust velocity for the best chemical rockets of today)."

Dang.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"This is however of little use on the surface of a planet, where a NSWR would eject massive quantities of superheated steam, still containing fissioning nuclear salts. "

:newlol:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Nuevo posted:

"One design would generate 13 meganewtons of thrust at 66 km/s exhaust velocity (compared to ~4.5 km/s exhaust velocity for the best chemical rockets of today)."

spankmeister posted:

"This is however of little use on the surface of a planet, where a NSWR would eject massive quantities of superheated steam, still containing fissioning nuclear salts. "

Enough thrust to adequately leave the planet you poisoned while escaping it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

18 Character Limit posted:

Enough thrust to adequately leave the planet you poisoned while escaping it.

Sounds like a problem for people whose souls are still held down by gravity.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcott posted:

Sounds like a problem for people whose souls are still held down by gravity.

My feelings are intermixed knowing this reference.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 16, 2018

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Platystemon posted:

This is how the prelapsarian room looked:

Only one level of walkway. It’s possible that the failed component is similar, but the design logic that created it will be different.

That shows why no fatalities I think, its only one floor up. Assuming anyone underneath heard it and had 1-2 seconds to jump out the way, and the people on top didn't fall for long enough to build up enough speed for fatal injuries. There was also nothing big directly above the people on the walkway that fell on them which I guess helped

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 16, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Too bad you can't use it near anywhere you'd want to live.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It was an endless parade of this that has left my mother quietly unsettled around Asian folk, especially in elevators.

She was six In December 1941. She knows that it is entirely irrational. She’s worked on it her entire life.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My grandpa never trusted Asians either. He would never be rude or use slurs, but he was a ranger in Korea. One of those fun times we got involved in someone else's civil war and our boys could never be quite sure who the was the enemy. I imagine that does gently caress you up.

He didn't tell me much about the war but he did talk several times about calling in fire support from the battleship Missouri. Said the shells looked like boxcars going over your head and looked close enough that he felt like he could've reached up and touched them.

The Turkish contingent in the UN forces there made a big impression on him too. His attitude was basically like, man I wouldn't gently caress with those guys.

Funny enough the wound that sent him home came from when he was on R&R. They were playing baseball when a mortar attack came in and everybody dived in the same hole, so his foot was still sticking out. So there's your OSHA. Need bigger foxholes.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 16, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Imagined posted:

Too bad you can't use it near anywhere you'd want to live.

Sure you can. The exhaust is traveling at solar escape velocity so just point point the tail end right at anything you value.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/953084517522157568

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Not sure how I missed hearing about this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42680945

Suezmax tanker collides with a freighter, burns, floats around for a week and then explodes and sinks. Whole crew (32) is killed.

If only it had had 6001 hulls.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Well at least it was towed beyond the environment. Nothing out there but sea and birds and fish. And 136,000 tonnes of burning crude oil.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

It's really light stuff, basically pretty similar to gasoline. It's not gonna stick around like crude can.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Phanatic posted:

It's really light stuff, basically pretty similar to gasoline. It's not gonna stick around like crude can.

I know... I was referencing this in bad taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Not sure how I missed hearing about this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42680945

Suezmax tanker collides with a freighter, burns, floats around for a week and then explodes and sinks. Whole crew (32) is killed.

If only it had had 6001 hulls.

Stranger still that it wasn't hit by a US Navy ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stranger still that it wasn't hit by a US Navy ship.

That’s what you think.

USN stealth tech looking good. :captainpop: