Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Freaks and Geeks handles it surprisingly well when Seth Rogen finds out his girlfriend was born intersex, freaks out and eventually gets over it. That was almost 20 years ago and set closer to 40 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

spog posted:

There was the episode where some gay guy thinks frasier is gay and hitting on him.

Which was both funny and entirely respectful towards the gay character.

That was the new station manager. Everybody knew he was gay except Frasier. That ep even won a GLAAD award.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was a great episode. "Dad wanted to tell you, but I won the coin toss."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If I recall correctly Roz also gets teased a couple of times because of her husky voice
There was also that episode where Frasier has an extended dream sequence where he accidentally picks up a transsexual prostitute

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was the new station manager. Everybody knew he was gay except Frasier. That ep even won a GLAAD award.

I remember that episode. Whilst for its time and era it was very respectful and non homophobic, a minor quibble I have about it is how well the Station Manager takes Frasier's 'coming out' as straight at the end. The dude had been hitting on him hard all night, on what he assumed was a date that was going well, but at the end gets told it's not going to happen coz welp your dates not into dudes.

He should have been at least a little pissed off.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The early 90s was definitely a turning point for LGBT awareness. Sitcoms, in that very earnest '90s way, attempted to mine gay/trans issues for "inclusive" humor, rather than disgust or outright contempt. It was a sort of implicit "Well, because we're making jokes about you, you're now part of the gang" thing. Shows started having "the gay one" in their casts. Rosanne, of course, went all in on this, to the point where seemingly every major character was gay/lesbian/bi at some point. Frasier was probably the most measured with its "gay humor" in part because significant cast members and I would assume writers were gay. Friends' jokes have probably aged the worst, but they're still pointed at a given character rather than towards gay people in general.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly remember the punchline about a really ugly green dress being happily worn by an 'Irish crossdresser'. Though hey, at least it found a good home on someone who appreciated it.

There was a bit of a recurring gag with how both Frasier and Niles are occasionally mistaken for being gay because of their mannerisms and interests, usually to underline the absurdity of the stereotype, and actually an interesting bit where Frasier, I think in the episode where he has dreams about waking up in bed with a man, starts questioning his sexuality, though ultimately concluding that if he had gay or bisexual leanings he'd have figured it out by that point in his life. (That episode actually ends with him dreaming Freud himself is in his bed, and concluding that since he's so bored intellectually he dreamed himself a wacky scenario just to give himself something to think about) That seemed to be quite remarkable for its time, to have a character openly considering their sexuality.

The portrayal of psychiatry in the show is another story, given Freudian and Jungian theories are both considered woefully outdated and simplistic by modern medicine, I'm pretty sure, but with TV writers it's generally an improvement if it gets any better than 'tell me about your mother'.

I mentioned before that Bulldog has aged very poorly, even though apparently him being over-the-top aggressively pursuing women was an inside joke given his actor was openly gay.

Edit: Huh, apparently there's episodes where they actually call out on Frasier's preoccupation with mostly outdated psychology, especially behaviourist Lillith. (of course, that theory has in turn fallen out of favour) And Niles' Jungian theory is actually just mangled Freudian for the most part.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 08:39 on Jan 16, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Frasier was always a pop culture psychiatrist. It's why he has a mediocre radio show. He left the real work to the professionals.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I will always remember his impassioned eulogy for one guy who died young of a heart condition where he laments people who subsist on cheeseburgers living longer than he did running and lifting daily.

Deep stuff.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

sassassin posted:

Frasier was always a pop culture psychiatrist. It's why he has a mediocre radio show. He left the real work to the professionals.

Most of his advice was pretty basic 'be true to yourself' type cliches which would probably be at home on a Facebook meme. No wonder Niles was jealous sometimes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Unfortunately it seems it was more of a "Hollywood in general" type of situation. Ace Ventura comes to mind. Or any other movie where inclusiveness translated to "hey, what if the killer was a trans person?!".

I've seen Ace Ventura mentioned a few times when it comes to bad representations of trans people, and correct me if I'm wrong, but technically Sean Young's character wasn't actually trans, was she/he?

Wasn't it just Finkle pretending to be Einhorn as part of a needlessly complex plot to kill Dan Marino?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've seen Ace Ventura mentioned a few times when it comes to bad representations of trans people, and correct me if I'm wrong, but technically Sean Young's character wasn't actually trans, was she/he?

Wasn't it just Finkle pretending to be Einhorn as part of a needlessly complex plot to kill Dan Marino?

At its heart it shows that to be a transsexual person you have to be brutally insane. So even if it was done as 'determined person seeks revenge,' at its heart it's still wildly problematic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SEX BURRITO posted:

Most of his advice was pretty basic 'be true to yourself' type cliches which would probably be at home on a Facebook meme. No wonder Niles was jealous sometimes.

Niles was always the better psychiatrist. He's just jealous of his brother's fame, but also seems to be upset that he's not taking psychiatry as seriously as it should be.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ace Ventura was definitely a product of its times and while that’s not an excuse per se, it must be considered when viewing it and indeed any film or series must be contextually viewed at where society was at that point in time if for no other reason than to appreciate the strides taken since it was released. On the other hand remember when ace talked out of his butt? Fuckin lmao

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
For some reason a lot of entertainment from the 80s and early 90s presents Sean Young as a transcendent, irresistible beauty, which I cannot wrap my head around. She's not a bad looking lady by any means, but I guess tastes have changed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

For some reason a lot of entertainment from the 80s and early 90s presents Sean Young as a transcendent, irresistible beauty, which I cannot wrap my head around. She's not a bad looking lady by any means, but I guess tastes have changed.

Do you remember how flat butts were in back then?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Ace Ventura was definitely a product of its times and while that’s not an excuse per se, it must be considered when viewing it and indeed any film or series must be contextually viewed at where society was at that point in time if for no other reason than to appreciate the strides taken since it was released. On the other hand remember when ace talked out of his butt? Fuckin lmao

"Attitudes of the Time," unfortunately. Also one could make the excuse that the horror everybody has at Finkle's reveal could be less about the disguise and more out of the...contortions that Finkle used which were pretty extreme. He could have just wore something instead of that. That just looked like it hurt.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

at least the superior second Ace Ventura film remains an untouchable classic

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

at least the superior second Ace Ventura film remains an unwatchable crapstack

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
OMG Sean Young and Debra Winger sandwich.

Maybe some Margo Kidder on the side.

One out of three of them didn't go insane.

EDIT: OH OH, Dana Delany too! The 80's were a very different time.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I've been occasionally watching old episodes of The Simpsons. I'm up to season two, and this scene surprised me for how well its aged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyNibSX6aP8

In case that's blocked for anyone, it's the "never kiss a fool" scene from season 2, episode 2, Simpson and Delilah.

Karl was going to come back in a much later episode, but Harvey Fierstein turned down the role because the episode was just a bunch of lazy gay jokes.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Honestly, I'd say that it was The Crying Game that put trans people on Hollywood's radar in the 90's. To the point where the plot twist in it is the only thing that people remember about the movie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

Honestly, I'd say that it was The Crying Game that put trans people on Hollywood's radar in the 90's. To the point where the plot twist in it is the only thing that people remember about the movie.
I've always felt that "Now I have a penis. Ho ho ho." was a tasteless line.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just found out that Ray Finkle was just Sean Young in a wig and mustache. I'm not too observant.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've always felt that "Now I have a penis. Ho ho ho." was a tasteless line.

"Welcome to the dead gay forum party, pal" was pretty awkward too.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Also one could make the excuse that the horror everybody has at Finkle's reveal could be less about the disguise and more out of the...contortions that Finkle used which were pretty extreme. He could have just wore something instead of that. That just looked like it hurt.

Yeah, that sounds like reaching to me.

Remember the scene where he burned all his clothes and sat crying in the shower while the song from the Crying Game played?

As a little kid trying to figure out why I was different, I got the message loud and clear.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Jan 16, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Instant Sunrise posted:

First one I remember was "Kiss of the Spider Woman".

God drat you have a huge av.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

If I recall correctly Roz also gets teased a couple of times because of her husky voice
There was also that episode where Frasier has an extended dream sequence where he accidentally picks up a transsexual prostitute

This is two different episodes. Dream Sequence is flamboyant coworker Gil Chesterton in bed with him. Weird episode.

Transexual prostitute pickup was wacky misunderstanding.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yeah, that sounds like reaching to me.

Remember the scene where he burned all his clothes and sat crying in the shower while the song from the Crying Game played?

As a little kid trying to figure out why I was different, I got the message loud and clear.

Yeah, there's no saving it. It's gay/trans panic all the way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

This is two different episodes. Dream Sequence is flamboyant coworker Gil Chesterton in bed with him. Weird episode.

Transexual prostitute pickup was wacky misunderstanding.

No, I know what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about the Chesty episode, I meant the episode where he has an extended fantasy sequence wherein he picks up a lady stuck in the rain who ends up being a transsexual or at least man in drag I don't know what the correct term would be prostitute. He gets into a world of trouble and he has to explain the situation to his fat son Freddy, who asks him if that means he shouldn't try to help people when he can, the sequence ends with it flashing back to just before Frasier picks up the lady and he does so, letting you know that no matter what you should always try to help people and the lady turns out to be one of his neighbors

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nice body shaming

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Nice body shaming

More like oldshameless

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

No, I know what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about the Chesty episode, I meant the episode where he has an extended fantasy sequence wherein he picks up a lady stuck in the rain who ends up being a transsexual or at least man in drag I don't know what the correct term would be prostitute. He gets into a world of trouble and he has to explain the situation to his fat son Freddy, who asks him if that means he shouldn't try to help people when he can, the sequence ends with it flashing back to just before Frasier picks up the lady and he does so, letting you know that no matter what you should always try to help people and the lady turns out to be one of his neighbors

Huh, you're right. I always thought it was just a different woman at the end. Jeez what a weird copout

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I'd like to pose a sincere question - what TV shows/movies/media exist right now that are not going to age well? I mean, the most progressive stuff - how is that going to look in 2058? What are our blind spots - yours and mine - this year?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Mind posted:

I'd like to pose a sincere question - what TV shows/movies/media exist right now that are not going to age well? I mean, the most progressive stuff - how is that going to look in 2058? What are our blind spots - yours and mine - this year?

Trans-gender rights and gender fluidity in general probably? Our most progressive stuff now might look as clumsy as TV of the late 80s/early 90s tackling gay issues.

Hopefully all our resources wasting poo poo like gigantic SUVs everywhere will by then.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Calaveron posted:

It's worth mentioning that episode was a couple years after Eddie Murphy famously picked up a trans prostitute (and claimed he was just giving her a ride home). It was a well-known example of "difficult to explain tabloid media incident" at the time.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Celebrity Deathmatch.

Nothing about that show has aged well at all yet it was massively popular when it aired. Popular enough to get two reboots, the first of which was fairly successful.

I rewatched a few episodes of season one a couple weeks ago and YIKES. It's nothing but horribly dated current events and pop culture references that could get obscure enough that I would barely recognize them.

It did have a few moments of humor that still held up, like the Monica Lewinsky vs Hillary Clinton fight that had a ton of references to Whitewater, Vince Foster, the eponymous blue dress, all the things you'd expect and then at the last second it swerved completely into left field and ended with both women realizing their anger wasn't toward each other but towards Bill himself for being the lecherous cheating creep in the first place and chased him out of the arena. That was pretty unexpected and got some laughs out of me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Celebrity Deathmatch was basically the Newgrounds video of its time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister Mind posted:

Master of None.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
A lot of movies media TV shows with men in it right now aren't going to age well