Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kumo posted:

I'd PM a mod/admin & ask them if they'd be willing to to ban people for threadshitting or posting negative news. It sounds like you've been putting a lot of thought and time into this, and that it is important to you, so I wish you success. Please post the link here if you do post it.

Hey remember when pro-Trump Brits brought a noose to a meeting where the Muslim Mayor of London was giving a speech an-

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/951774645606322176

But this doesn't apply to the EU becuase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

MC Hawking posted:

It's this kinda poo poo that really grinds my gears. We're so caught up in the tribal mentality and the he said she said screaming match we can't collectively look past our own noses at things which could benefit the entire species anymore. The wonder of life has been completely sucked away by the incessant screeching of social media and hysterics of the 24hr cycle. It's loving exhausting and the fact that it's designed to drain any light of hope or positivity out of even the most basic of discourse makes it incredibly difficult to not succumb to the depressive wastes of nihilism.

Embracing the mushroom cloud sounds great inside of the echo chamber. :(

See, this is why we need the happy only thread!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I wouldn't be opposed to a thread about good Trump news but I mean what the gently caress is there? If Trump does the occasional good thing it does get posted here and typically everyone acknowledges that "wow Trump did a good" it just doesn't happen much obviously

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Trump is doing good things. People are saying the best things about Trump. Many things! We

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

g0lbez posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to a thread about good Trump news but I mean what the gently caress is there? If Trump does the occasional good thing it does get posted here and typically everyone acknowledges that "wow Trump did a good" it just doesn't happen much obviously

No, not good stuff Trump does. Good stuff other people do to gently caress him up.

KyloWinter posted:

when piss tape

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 16, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
when piss tape

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

KyloWinter posted:

when piss tape

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Oh, well yeah then post the freakin thread!! There's tons of people trying to gently caress with POTUS and succeeding to varying degrees.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MC Hawking posted:

Embracing the mushroom cloud sounds great inside of the echo chamber. :(

Echo Chamber Mushroom Cloud would be a great album name at least.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Gene therapy is interesting, it is also scary because of the time doctors tried it on a kid and ended up killing him.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/28/magazine/the-biotech-death-of-jesse-gelsinger.html

I blame a lot of the conspiracy theory/incessant yelling on people listening to hearsay rather than going out and reading about what happened. Like, the Gelsinger case involves a lot of bad decisions by the researchers and the oversight committee. They tried to do too much too fast, and the result pretty much killed a lot of the momentum of gene therapy research. I'm glad it has rebounded.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I wish I could have all the terribleness posted elsewhere, I said as I climbed into a manhole next to waikiki

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No, not good stuff Trump does. Good stuff other people do to gently caress him up.
Let me just give my dumb 2 cents: your idea will die because people already on the right already perceive trump as doing plenty of cool and good stuff. anything you post as 'good news' would probably sound weird or boring to them. It goes both ways: try talking to a die-hard obama lover about the drone strikes that killed american citizens. they most likely will not have that conversation.

or I guess said differently, the problem isn't a lack of a safe space to discuss stuff, its that joe sixpack just started caring about stuff 2 weeks ago and has only developed enough experience to deal with things in a very black-or-white sort of way

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Or, you know, turn off the computer every once in a while and go outside and realize how lucky you are to exist at all, let alone at a time where science and technology exist to such an amazing degree. Yea, things aren't perfect, but what are you doing - literally doing- to make things better? Be the change you want to see in the world - don't just read about it.

Also, lol :orb:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I had an odd thought today: maybe triggering the libs and the main stream media into making almost all broadcast news a constant stream of how horrible you are isn't a very good long term election strategy.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
The water in your toilet is cleaner than the water most of the world gets to drink. That’s good news for you!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KyloWinter posted:

when piss tape

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Okay there are two facets to the idea, so it's sounding a lot like the facet that goes "post in this thread when Trump and co have a bad day / get dunked on" would go over a lot better than the facet that goes "post in this thread when science, the left, and justice have a good day". Is that your all's prediction?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

KyloWinter posted:

when piss tape

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Okay there are two facets to the idea, so it's sounding a lot like the facet that goes "post in this thread when Trump and co have a bad day / get dunked on" would go over a lot better than the facet that goes "post in this thread when science, the left, and justice have a good day". Is that your all's prediction?

I think if you want your thread to be a success you should probably avoid posting in it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

KyloWinter posted:

when piss tape

IT WAS ME

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jose is probably your huckleberry, Dumb Lowtax. I'm skeptical, but hey why not we're all going to die anyway.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Dumb Lowtax posted:

no matter what policy decisions you make, these posts that will happen in ur thread:

"oh great another lol trump fine thread"

"the thing you posted is not actually a good thing and here is why"

"oh great MODS since we are not allowed to critique other posters' bad good things here is a good thing that happened: *an extremely bad thing posted ironically*"

"*farts*"

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It is actually cool and good that Rob Ford is dead.

Ford was basically Trump minus investment from foreign oligarchs. They both blew everything given to them by their crooked parents on idiotic schemes and theatrics.

Without those Trump and his kin would also be getting in crackhead brawls with street thugs while Melania swigged discount plastic jug vodka on a filthy couch.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

blainestereo posted:

no matter what policy decisions you make, these posts that will happen in ur thread:

"oh great another lol trump fine thread"

"the thing you posted is not actually a good thing and here is why"

"oh great MODS since we are not allowed to critique other posters' bad good things here is a good thing that happened: *an extremely bad thing posted ironically*"

"*farts*"

Yeah the only thing I could think of that would work would be a thread dedicated to people just dunking on Trump with trolling or with memes or with pictures or something which This Thread pretty much is the only difference being a more positive one but I just feel that with the wild nature of these forms something like that may just not be worth the trouble

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Remember the time when Trump called native Americans "special people" in front of an Andrew Jackson portrait? That was less than two months ago. There must be some kind of glitch in the space-time continuum.

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011

I didn't know what my friend was talking about when she said white people like to do that forced, pained smile that then melts into a depressed resting face but now I can't stop noticing it when people do it

I assume there's a second image of that and it's even more terrifying

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

why make a new thread when you can join us here in the accelerationist lol chamber

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rough Lobster posted:

Puffed up pompous popinjay? That's got to be the most British insult of all time.

maybe in 1918 but "some daft oval office" would be more authentically British, he's just pretending to be some racist late imperial colonial administrator because that's his thing

also I'm prepared to bet money he wanted to say picanniny but remembered how much trouble that caused last time

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

KyloWinter posted:

when piss tape

Why not done??

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The sequel to “Get out” is being filmed POV I see

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
We're all having a great time! Just a great bunch of guys and gals

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

The sequel to “Get out” is being filmed POV I see

There's also a black person in the upper right quadrant. So that a black person may still die first.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

I seriously have no idea how to parse this. Can somebody please translate?

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
On Fox and Friends today Brian Kilmeade criticized Trump over his shithole comments and people were not happy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A For Effort posted:

On Fox and Friends today Brian Kilmeade criticized Trump over his shithole comments and people were not happy

ehhhhhhhhhh, let's not say something we can't take back.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Where's Weirdo?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I will never get tired of how fast these people turn on their own. :allears:

moskiitto
Feb 27, 2013

Overlardness
what if piss tape not real

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Applewhite posted:

I will never get tired of how fast these people turn on their own. :allears:

It's like in the Lion King when the Hyenas turn on Scar and I love it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The thing is there's good news posts all the time, mixed in with the bad here. They do exist in great number. Maybe someone laid down a sick twitter burn. Maybe it comes out that someone who is bad is probably getting in trouble, and does not appear to be escaping scot free.

The only difference would be the OP, which states explicitly in the thread rules that you cannot post about any negative developments or discuss whichever newest upsetting, outrageously stupid thing the Trump team did.

So, we would be posting about bad people getting burned on twitter and bad people getting in trouble, but not be allowed to discuss why these people are bad? We can not explain why it was justified to burn them or punish them, because that would inherently involve discussing something negative.

The inherent flaw in your plan is that “positive” and “negative” are highly subjective terms, especially within politics. Is someone being humiliated on twitter actually a positive thing? What makes bad people bad?

twoday fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 16, 2018