Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

kuddles posted:

Don't worry. I won't spoil it for you, but episode 8 is going to wrap up a lot of loose threads and clear everything up for you. I can't wait for you to see it and post your thoughts.

Not nice.

Finished THAT episode, and at this point I feel bludgeoned by insanity. I was creeped out by the winding dark roads, which led to even more creepier things (that music when the Woodsmen/Monster Behind Twinkies in Mulholland Dr started dancing around Dark Coop and smearing blood on his face: ahhhhhh). Then THE Nine Inch Nails sang a dark tune...

I got some serious 2001: A Space Odyssey vibes from the nuclear chaos sequence. What really surprises me is that I'm not aware of any backlash to this episode by diehard fans. It is a huge revelation to the origin stories of Laura Palmer and Bob: doesn't it make the show as a whole less supernatural and more so science-fiction?. Nobody finds that to be an unwelcome reveal? Did David Lynch "rian johnson" his own show? I'll have to go back and read what everyone says because I have no idea, other than people seem to like it.

So yeah. E8: part Arthur C. Clarke, part 1950s B-Movie homage. Totally what I was expecting.

Also - I'm being trolled by Lynch! Such as, by these unnecessarily long takes. For example I think it was E7 that showed nothing but a guy sweeping the floor of a bar for 3 minutes. The story is also taking its drat time - but, I knew what I was getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

As Lynch said in an interview: Some things just need to be shot a certain way. :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm assuming that by sci-fi, you mean something like "the nuclear bomb tore open the fabric of reality/a portal that allowed beings from elsewhere to access earth", I don't think that reading of episode eight is subscribed to by many people. What I took from 8, and what I think more people read from it, is still a supernatural (maybe even mythical) reading - that the development of the nuclear weapon was important because it was an act of evil committed by man, which led to some elemental evil(s) being either unleashed or created, and Laura being some equivalent force for good.

It's certainly making Laura special in a way that she wasn't prior to that point, but I don't read it as sci-fi at all.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
personally I read it on an almost metatextual level, it's showing that Bob is either created out of or is an intrinsic part of the evil of man. there's no real right way to read it though imo.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Nobody finds that to be an unwelcome reveal?

I find pretty much everything involving Bob this season uninteresting even though I loved the season as a whole. Whether episode 8 is taken literally or spiritually it just didn't resonate with me outside of the great visuals.

I know I'm vastly in the minority on this though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm assuming that by sci-fi, you mean something like "the nuclear bomb tore open the fabric of reality/a portal that allowed beings from elsewhere to access earth", I don't think that reading of episode eight is subscribed to by many people.

That was my reading. The sequence where we zoom in on the blast until we're at a sub-sub-subatomic scale before we start seeing the experiment and Bob and the convenience store suggests that there's something happening physically within the blast that brought these forces into reality. However I don't think this conflicts with the spiritual reading. This physical world is a dream, after all. I see Bob and Judy here as a metaphor for the evil that humanity introduced with nuclear weapons.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I find pretty much everything involving Bob this season uninteresting even though I loved the season as a whole. Whether episode 8 is taken literally or spiritually it just didn't resonate with me outside of the great visuals.

I know I'm vastly in the minority on this though.

I don't know, I'm kind of on the same page with you, honestly. Not so much about Episode 8 only being great visually (I find the episode is still filled to the brim with fascinating reveals and different ways to interpret the entire goddamn show and really great in all kinds of other avant-garde film school-ish ways too) but about the BOB-oriented stuff being a bit uninteresting - or certainly nowhere near as scary as before.

I just thought that some of the Bob stuff ended being... Kinda silly. I sorta thought Coop's face morphing in the mirror was a bit silly, and I thought (Ep 17-18 spoiler) the utterly over the top absurd battle between the sonic BOBORB and Freddie's green rubber gardening glove was just.... well, utterly over the top and absurd, though I did sort of enjoy at the time in a weird way, it's ultimately just a teensy bit too silly, especially because I found BOB in season 1-2 and FWWM so deeply terrifying, and the BOBORB so deeply silly at the end there. It still felt scary in episode 8, though.

It isn't the worst thing ever though, Twin Peaks had always edged between elementally terrifying and kinda silly, and there's really a rather fine line between the two, anyway. I found Evil Cooper scary enough as an entity unto himself that I found season 3 didn't suffer from BOB turning into the silly BOBORB.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I got some serious 2001: A Space Odyssey vibes from the nuclear chaos sequence. What really surprises me is that I'm not aware of any backlash to this episode by diehard fans. It is a huge revelation to the origin stories of Laura Palmer and Bob: doesn't it make the show as a whole less supernatural and more so science-fiction?. Nobody finds that to be an unwelcome reveal? Did David Lynch "rian johnson" his own show? I'll have to go back and read what everyone says because I have no idea, other than people seem to like it.
I don't recall there being much of a backlash to Episode 8. I think a lot of people who were unhappy with what Lynch was doing with The Return had already dropped off the show by then (and some decided to grit their teeth and wait to express their displeasure with the direction after the series concluded) and the people who kept watching were all-in on Lynch's weirdness and embraced it fully.

I never really pegged myself on what all the other worldly stuff ever pointed to, so I guess the reveal didn't bother me in that way. Some interpretations of The Return do bother me with how I viewed characters in the original series. Can't really say more than that without going into spoiler territory.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The GBS thread was quite appalled by it IIRC

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kaworu posted:

I just thought that some of the Bob stuff ended being... Kinda silly. I sorta thought Coop's face morphing in the mirror was a bit silly, and I thought (Ep 17-18 spoiler) the utterly over the top absurd battle between the sonic BOBORB and Freddie's green rubber gardening glove was just.... well, utterly over the top and absurd, though I did sort of enjoy at the time in a weird way, it's ultimately just a teensy bit too silly, especially because I found BOB in season 1-2 and FWWM so deeply terrifying, and the BOBORB so deeply silly at the end there. It still felt scary in episode 8, though.

I agree but the behind-the-scenes footage of Lynch describing this scene is great. And then he has an idea, gets down on his knees, and spreads creamed corn and black tar around the BOB hole in the floor. And the scene he described was pretty much what got put on screen. The man had a vision, that's for sure.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

kaworu posted:

I still think this fight is absolutely hilarious and a lot of fun to watch, but it ultimately deflates him as a villain.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Twin Peaks is about duality, how a single coherent being is a fictitious idea and every person is tore up inside by contradictions and repression.

The splitting of the atom in episode eight was the explosion of something previously indivisible, something mechanistic and simple, shown to be a messy cacophony of bound up contradicting forces that are wholly intangible, fleeting, and impossible to truly capture and comprehend.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

kaworu posted:

It isn't the worst thing ever though, Twin Peaks had always edged between elementally terrifying and kinda silly, and there's really a rather fine line between the two, anyway. I found Evil Cooper scary enough as an entity unto himself that I found season 3 didn't suffer from BOB turning into the silly BOBORB.

That scene is completely ridiculous, but I loved it. I never would have thought in a million years that I would be watching something like that, but it was just so weird that it worked for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not that anyone really cares besides me but I got the book and boy

CJacobs posted:

"By the way, I forgot to ask, how's Annie?"

"Oh, she's fine, she went home and nobody's talked to her since."

"Oh okay."

Starring
KYLE MacLACHLAN

this post of mine from ages ago sure did age well

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

E10 summary: Dougie gets laid.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*flap flap flap*

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Episode 9 is better than episode 8 and episode 10 had the worst musical guest

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

Episode 9 is better than episode 8

:eyepop:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

moist turtleneck posted:

Episode 9 is better than episode 8
Yeah

quote:

episode 10 had the worst musical guest
Nah

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

moist turtleneck posted:

Excuse me, what show are you watching? Because it's not the one this thread is for

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was episode 10 No Stars? Cause honestly, while I got nothin against Del Rio, that was pretty lovely.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its not that bad but I recall thinking there was something wrong and a bit painful to hear with her voice, it seemed to acute or something

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

No Stars was the second best performance. The best was obviously James "always been cool" Hurley.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, it was No Stars, and it was basically part 2 of this, which owned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQnb3HS4hc

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've rewatched some bits from S3 recently, but as more time goes by, it's really seeming like something I'll never watch in full again. I watched some of the behind the scenes features with a friend who has the Blu Ray, and even those weren't all that exciting to me.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 17, 2018

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

please take this discussion to the Star Wars spoiler thread.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its not that bad but I recall thinking there was something wrong and a bit painful to hear with her voice, it seemed to acute or something

Yeah, it was like hanging out close to one of those high frequency mosquito repellents. Just very painful to listen to.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Ingmar terdman posted:

please take this discussion to the Star Wars spoiler thread.

close but this was the worst musical number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U

And of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Eyud posted:

No Stars was the second best performance. The best was obviously James "always been cool" Hurley.

These are my top two followed by Lissie, in part for how insanely hyped the emcee gets.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, it was No Stars, and it was basically part 2 of this, which owned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQnb3HS4hc

Don’t even compare this incredible scene to the No Stars performance they are a million miles apart

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao

This is still my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7baCckh-XE

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
For some reason the version of No Stars in the show has been auto-tuned to poo poo. The album version doesn't sound like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJSCk0roBMk

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I still really like that someone dressed as the Black Lodge sounds electronic and wrong.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There are points in the song where her voice cracks but it sounds like she's burping the line. It's really weird.

Still like the song tho.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I still really like that someone dressed as the Black Lodge sounds electronic and wrong.

I like the concept. It's just a shame that, in execution, it has the effect of some kind of human dog whistle.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

And More posted:

I like the concept. It's just a shame that, in execution, it has the effect of some kind of human dog whistle.

I'm not sure if they were going for "raw" or "wrong" in the mixdown, but she does hit some uncomfortable ranges.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Facebook shitposting group continues to deliver months after the show ended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44T8fbcWVy4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I finished it. And thought about it for a few days. The ending loving owns and gave me that exact same horrifying feeling I felt after I watched Fire Walk With Me.

I don’t want a season 4, but another movie might be cool. I just don’t want to ruin a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t want a season 4, but another movie might be cool. I just don’t want to ruin a good thing.
The more I think about it, the more I hope that there is no Season 4.

We've already been given a very definitive way to leave things. The show ended with a meditation on how you can't go home again. It would feel weird to then go home again.

Also, The Return was already a big compromise involving all the actors who have passed away and others who did not want to come back from retirement. Another series 3-4 years from now will just have these issues exacerbated: No log lady and no Albert already. We were really only introduced to a small section of new characters, several of which are now dead. The Vegas story seems to have ended so nowhere to go there.

One could argue that there are places Lynch and Frost could take things based on the new threads that were created, but by this point it would be so far away from what Twin Peaks originally was, that I think at that point I would rather see them collaborate on a completely new thing.