Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The true ending ruined that game for me but I'm also one of those people who don't like endings like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

The true ending ruined that game for me but I'm also one of those people who don't like endings like that.

I'm with you on that one

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm guessing those people that thought Get Out was a comedy probably were putting too much emphasis on the TSA agent character, who was legitimately pretty funny.

I still wouldn't call the film a comedy as a whole though, and I was one of the people that thought The Martian was more a comedy than a drama anyways!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
We also youtubed the bonus scenes you get if you never save. I actually like that (spoiler in case anybody plays based on this chat) the more you find out the worse everything gets. A nice twist on the usual setup where the true ending makes everything turn out all right

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyways speaking of video games and movies, I watched the live action Dead or Alive movie the other day and liked it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

From my limited understanding it’s the producers who submit a film for consideration and it’s basically the only category because golden globes being a postwar award the only genres it recognizes are musical/comedy and drama.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes a huge chunk of Hollywood is dominated by safe franchises and Disney dominance but that has been somewhat mitigated by the explosion of content on television and streaming that would match whatever golden age you posit cinema has fallen from. With something as cyclical as cinema I am more ready to attribute any sense of decline to personal taste and temperament shifting, or a change in perceiving the value of spending one's leisure time against the social and personal contexts they are going through

Edit: And yes, the distributor of a film submits the film for nomination to the Golden Globes (which are pretty much a joke that is pay-for-play for a couple dozen press outlets to schmooze with celebrities) and the distributor of Get Out thought it had better chances of winning an award in the comedy category rather than against the drama contenders

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Anyways speaking of video games and movies, I watched the live action Dead or Alive movie the other day and liked it.

Next you need to watch Steve Jackson’s Dead Alive :smug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways next sunday we're probably gonna play another RPGmaker horror game, the names that got tossed out where (I think) Ib and Ao Oni

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The funny thing about the DoA movie is that the villain is just straight up Albert Wesker for some reason. He's even literally powered by his sci-fi sunglasses that he downloads combat data into, it's great.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

playing Rise to Ruins currently. A game where dogs are consistently called 'doggos', default villager names include 'Bill Clinton', 'Tammy Duckworth', and 'Miles O'Brien'. feel like I'm learning a lot about its creator

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

If you listen to Jim Sterling and Conrad Zimmerman's video game movie podcast, they were pleasantly surprised by it, too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also instead of tearing down other mediums we should be celebrating when they come together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9BokaML2l4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I'm with you on that one

Yeah, I understand that not every horror thing needs to end happily ever after but stuff like the Witch's House just came across as overly mean spirited and trying to end on as much of a downer note as possible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not an expert on horror conventions but isn't "you understand the monster but haven't hampered it in any way, roll credits" how Japanese horror movies usually end?

e: not that that has to be to your taste

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, I understand that not every horror thing needs to end happily ever after but stuff like the Witch's House just came across as overly mean spirited and trying to end on as much of a downer note as possible.

This is also how I felt about Outlast 2 and I'm really considering replaying it on stream just so I can properly articulate just how much I absolutely cannot stand a single minute of this terribly mean videogame

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

homeless snail posted:

i was a grade too old for blues clues, so we just told all the younger kids that steve was a sex molester. hosed up thing is its probably true

Are you basing that on anything other than him being an adult man who worked in a child based industry, because that's hosed up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Are you basing that on anything other than him being an adult man who worked in a child based industry, because that's hosed up.
I'm basing it on him being a celebrity and its 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

If you listen to Jim Sterling and Conrad Zimmerman's video game movie podcast, they were pleasantly surprised by it, too.
I haven't listened to that before but I might check it out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not an expert on horror conventions but isn't "you understand the monster but haven't hampered it in any way, roll credits" how Japanese horror movies usually end?

e: not that that has to be to your taste

I dunno, my experience with Japanese horror extends to video games and manga.

I don't do horror films, I'm terrible with horror. I love it, I love horror so much, but I'm too scared to watch a horror film or play through a horror game by myself.

I don't feel like "you understand the monster but haven't hampered it in any way, roll credits" describes Witch's House, though. Just my opinion, not trying to say you're wrong or right or anything like that for liking it, but to me Witch's House felt more like they just wanted to shank you, twist the knife, then pack the wound with salt, all in the name of purposefully misleading the player so that the player feels like poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I'd call that an accurate description of the ending.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love current movies, past movies, and am sure to love future movies!
I have one of those cards that allows me to see films for free and I have used it for all the recent releases since I got it four years ago.

I like to be entertained and of all the films I have seen in the last four years at the cinema none have been unworthy of my time. I have always enjoyed something about what I have watched. Some have even been so astounding as to jump into my top ten of all time list :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's your favorite movie ever

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i like movies too. sometimes i see lovely movies. mostly i like the movies i see because i watch movies that i know i'll probably like. i want to watch star wars, but i also want to wait for it to be on home video

my favorite movie of 2017 was kamisama minarai himitsu no cocotama :v:

my favorite movie ever is a toss up between hayao miyazaki's only yesterday, and john wick starring keanu reeves as himself

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I like movies. There's a lot of good movies released every year if you're willing to look. Or when you discover some nation's cinematography that you haven't heard about yet and then bam, you have like a dozen great movies to catch up with.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Frequency considered an underrated movie? I like that movie a lot but I don't see people talk about it at all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALIiXH4hPmE&t=12s

FirstAidKite posted:

Is Frequency considered an underrated movie? I like that movie a lot but I don't see people talk about it at all.
They made an entire TV series out of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjUH_3ZyB0U

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh neat, a Gears of War demake

https://twitter.com/SegaCDgames/status/952956889805021185

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ew, tv shows based on movies aren't always bad but Frequency wasn't exactly something I was pining for a tv show adaptation of. I liked it as it was, an interesting little scifi film about time travel.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i want this game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

In Training posted:

It is a tie between two that depending on my mood edge each other out:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Wall-E

I can never fully pick between either. Both are so amazing!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Terminator 2 is my favorite movie of all time personally, it has been ever since I was like "there's a second Terminator?! The first one is my favorite movie of all time!"

edit: If Robocop walked just a tiny bit faster he'd score the number one spot though

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

either Carpenter's The Thing or Planes, Trains and Automobiles for me

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Terminator 2 is my favorite movie of all time personally, it has been ever since I was like "there's a second Terminator?! The first one is my favorite movie of all time!"

edit: If Robocop walked just a tiny bit faster he'd score the number one spot though

alf_pogs posted:

either Carpenter's The Thing or Planes, Trains and Automobiles for me

Robocop and The Thing are both in my top ten list too :D

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the greatest film ever released is definitely suzumiya haruhi no shoushitsu

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless snail posted:

I am unable to enjoy it because I cannot stand Haruhi herself which is kind of ironic considering the subject matter but still prevents me from really liking it all that much

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

In Training posted:

Die Hard

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I own Steve from Blues Clues’ album “Songs For Dustmites” but it was (over)produced by Steve Drozd of the Flaming Lips and it just sounds like a Flaming Lips album lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

that's a good one. I watch it every December

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I looked this up as I had no idea what it was but it says it follows on from something else. Do I need to watch anything before hand? Or am I OK just watching this?

If I do need to watch things before hand, then what do I need to watch? Thank you in advance!

• Locked thread