Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Senior Director of Printing Cards That People Actually Want to Play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shawn Main off the top of my head, but iirc there was more.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to cleaning up Vampires and Merfolk with U/W Approach and beating Merfolk post board with Regal caracles as they hold up negate.
U/W Approach / Gifts, Snake, Grixis good poo poo, and Merfolk will probably be the decks.

I am going to try and make vampires work, because Sanctum Seeker and the 5-drop that draws per vampire seem really good; coupled with duresses and scrapheap scroungers I think this can handle control to a degree, but it is still unfavored.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Decided to check out some streams to see if anyone was playing anything new in standard and the first match I opened up was UB midrange with a Scarab God vs GPG and there were 3 chupas on the battlefield the streamer had another in hand and they were trading back and forth reanimating the ones already in the graveyard... then modo crashed...

Tainen fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 16, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Modo. Just modo. Entire thing lagged out and then essentially halted 20+ minutes ago.

At least I got my first draft trophy ever before it went down.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

only creatures are fun, everything else is toxic gameplay and unfun

Personally when I get a spell countered I instantly pull out a knife and throw it directly into my opponents head, and then everyone stands up and claps

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

modos new lag problems are because ramunap ruins was an integral card for the back end of modo stability

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of lag, I really hope Arena's UI doesn't hew too closely to Hearthstone and takes some notes from things like Eternal or Shadowverse instead. Animations for effects are cool but imagine casting sphinx's revelation with Hearthstone's card drawing animation

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

modos new lag problems are because ramunap ruins was an integral card for the back end of modo stability

Specifically the number of copies of Ramunap Red people play in paper directly effected the server performance of MTGO. That was a really strange programming decision but that's the code they're stuck with I guess.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nothing like banning 4 more cards out of standard, releasing a new limited and standard format online, and then having your system go down without apparent reason. Why do I play this dumb game again?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Modo servers were actually powered by the energy generated by Attune with Aether and the only way to bring the servers back is to have everyone put 4 copies of Thriving Turtle in the spot Attune once was.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Which standard deck is the hardest to play through to completion on MODO? I know combos take awhile, but other than that, not much.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Which standard deck is the hardest to play through to completion on MODO? I know combos take awhile, but other than that, not much.

Probably old Pauper Storm or Legacy Four Horsemen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd think modo performance issues, right after a new limited set and fresh standard were released, would indicate player excitement.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its definitely either fissure storm or enchantress

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tainen posted:

Modo servers were actually powered by the energy generated by Attune with Aether and the only way to bring the servers back is to have everyone put 4 copies of Thriving Turtle in the spot Attune once was.

get out of here tezzeret nobody trusts you

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

get out of here tezzeret nobody trusts you

lol, I 100% forgot he recently got a new PW card

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I'd think modo performance issues, right after a new limited set and fresh standard were released, would indicate player excitement.

Yeah it's not a good look to gently caress up though

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

Nothing like banning 4 more cards out of standard, releasing a new limited and standard format online, and then having your system go down without apparent reason. Why do I play this dumb game again?

Sunk cost fallacy

Elyv posted:

Probably old Pauper Storm or Legacy Four Horsemen

Vintage Bomberman.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Sunk cost fallacy

Vintage Bomberman.

I have zero invested in magic online right now. But I have sunk costs into the team limited gp this weekend and thought practice was a good idea...

And I'd just sell all my modern poo poo but :effort:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i legit dont think there will ever be an mtg deck that will require more clicking and take longer to legitimately win than enchantress pre helm or emrakul. nobody will scoop to getting killed by a 1/1 flyer

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfuv444YAxk

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Everyone else ignored the word standard in your post so I will too

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

what the heck, spike feeder combo wasnt hard to play

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Double-clicking spike feeder instead of single clicking it didn't instantly destroy your on-board game-winning combo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i miss birthing pod decks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

Double-clicking spike feeder instead of single clicking it didn't instantly destroy your on-board game-winning combo

Also stacking your deck is trivial in person. It's not when doing so card by card via a digital interface.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

people rebroadcasting streams that have muted audio is so stupid

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lmebo Rekindling Phoenix is a $20 card. Standard is officially a failure.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Lmebo Rekindling Phoenix is a $20 card. Standard is officially a failure.

this is pure hype, which happens fairly frequently. The most recent example I remember is Carnage Tyrant

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Tubgoat posted:

Animation Module Combo is quite annoying.

I was also pretty down on having to click 42 times to do this (once for each land, twice for each improvise item):

But the result was worth it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
At least the next pt is modern so we aren't subjected to watching this nonsense.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

uPen posted:

At least the next pt is modern so we aren't subjected to watching this nonsense.

Post ban standard (now a semi-regular period) is when it's the most fresh and interesting.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

uPen posted:

Modern is going to be a terrible pro tour format.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Look at this wrong opinion. Look at it!!!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

uPen posted:

Still have to suffer through RRI draft before we get some good games. Hopefully they don't gently caress up the coverage and actually have secondary recorded matches for when the primary matches finish quickly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Nah it was fine last time.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Angry Grimace posted:

Nah it was fine last time.

You mean the tron x valakut top 8?

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Is Jace the mind sculptor still too much for modern? I mean, the format is so fast atm that maybe unbanning the card woudn't warp everything around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Is Jace the mind sculptor still too much for modern? I mean, the format is so fast atm that maybe unbanning the card woudn't warp everything around it.

One non-obvious argument against it that I found convincing was that it would be an absolute nightmare out of the sideboard from storm or ad nauseam.