Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

does the national dex really add anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
No!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TaurusOxford posted:

You misunderstood. UBs get Pokedex entries, but the ultra wormhole legendaries/non-Alolans you can catch don't.

Ohhh. Okay, nvm then.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Only when the pokedex is really nicely written with interesting and spooky lore and flavor text. AKA what they started doing the second they cancelled the national dex. :(

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TFRazorsaw posted:

It did in FRLG due to how much of the post-game scripting was tied to acquiring it. Aside from that, not really.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TFRazorsaw posted:

You can look at a pokémon's animations and model, and they finally added entries for mega pokémon in Gen VII. Plus the Sun/Moon entries are actually cool and good.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Honestly though, the National Dex in Pokémon Bank works since you don't need to fill it over and over every generation. Not to mention that quite a few Pokémon games have simply lifted Dex entries from earlier games, which isn't really much of a reward. I'd imagine that creating 807 unique dex entries and translating them into 9 languages is quite a bit of work so limiting their scope to the ones found in the regional dex would be easier.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It would be nice if a full Bank pokedex counted towards the shiny charm though

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eox posted:

It would be nice if a full Bank pokedex counted towards the shiny charm though

Counterpoint: with the amount of mons... no thanks.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I liked being able to see how much of the pokedex I had filled out in each language from within the game. I don't like that it's still tied to the savegame but only viewable from within Bank now.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
They should just trim the fat and remove some pokemon entirely. Imagine if gamefreak didn't have to spend time making animations for loving cascoon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I am Reverend posted:

They should just trim the fat and remove some pokemon entirely. Imagine if gamefreak didn't have to spend time making animations for loving cascoon.

That's not fair though because 90% of cut pokes would be from gen 1 and 2. Gotta leave something for those nostalgia fans

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

and they finally added entries for mega pokémon in Gen VII.

And they’re all terrifying. Mega Evolving apparently drives pokemon batshit insane.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

iospace posted:

Counterpoint: with the amount of mons... no thanks.

I think they meant like, pokes in the regional dex that you have registered in Bank should count towards the shiny charm.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's not fair though because 90% of cut pokes would be from gen 1 and 2. Gotta leave something for those nostalgia fans

Considering the last two generations, I expect Gamefreak to cut literally everything else and just leave Gen 1 if they ever go that insane route.

They're worse than the nostalgia fans in how much they pander to them.

I'm still mad we only got Kanto Alolan forms.

Phweengee
Nov 5, 2012
Gotta catch... approximately half of 'em.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
After obsessively playing Sun/Moon for a while after launch until I pretty much 100% completed any conceivable PvE objective (shoutouts to the rest of the Beast Ball crew if anyone of you are still posting here) I haven't touched them at all, but the other day I realized that Ultra Sun/Moon came out and that Pokémon itch is acting up again. I don't really feel like reading up a lot on the new games since I know I'll like them anyway, but I was hoping someone could help me decide which one to get (or which one to get first if I decide to get both). I own both Sun and Moon, but Sun is on my Japanese 3DS and Moon is on my European N3DS. I will probably want to buy the next one on the European one because of giveaways/events, and also because Sun was my main game and where I have 99% of my stuff, Moon was mostly used to farm Beast Balls (and use them to catch legendaries) as well as some Pokehex shenanigans. In other words, I want to be able to link directly between Sun and the new game. I don't really know what kind of version differences there are, I'm not too worried about version-exclusive pokemon because I can always trade, but I remember in SuMo the clothing dyes varied between versions which was annoying, is that still the case? Are there any other arguments for getting one version over another? Also if there's anything I should know before buying or playing that'd be helpful, like if there's a time-limited event on or there's a point in the game where you want to make a specific choice.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

tyblazitar posted:

After obsessively playing Sun/Moon for a while after launch until I pretty much 100% completed any conceivable PvE objective (shoutouts to the rest of the Beast Ball crew if anyone of you are still posting here) I haven't touched them at all, but the other day I realized that Ultra Sun/Moon came out and that Pokémon itch is acting up again. I don't really feel like reading up a lot on the new games since I know I'll like them anyway, but I was hoping someone could help me decide which one to get (or which one to get first if I decide to get both). I own both Sun and Moon, but Sun is on my Japanese 3DS and Moon is on my European N3DS. I will probably want to buy the next one on the European one because of giveaways/events, and also because Sun was my main game and where I have 99% of my stuff, Moon was mostly used to farm Beast Balls (and use them to catch legendaries) as well as some Pokehex shenanigans. In other words, I want to be able to link directly between Sun and the new game. I don't really know what kind of version differences there are, I'm not too worried about version-exclusive pokemon because I can always trade, but I remember in SuMo the clothing dyes varied between versions which was annoying, is that still the case? Are there any other arguments for getting one version over another? Also if there's anything I should know before buying or playing that'd be helpful, like if there's a time-limited event on or there's a point in the game where you want to make a specific choice.

You can 'trade' for clothing items and festival plaza tents with other games. Its a crap shoot, but you can do it. You might even be able to farm the clothing/tents you want on your Sun/Moon copies and then grab copies of them on your Ultra game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tyblazitar posted:

The differences between the versions are almost the same as the ones between original Sun and Moon. A few new version exclusives, and all the old ones are still the same, and the exact same dye exclusivity etc.

The biggest difference is probably which Totem Pokemon you want since like Totem Marowak comes at level 25 and thus can actually learn Shadow Bone in game.

Sun gets Gumshoos, Marowak, Lurantis, Vikavolt and Ribombee. Moon gets Raticate, Araquanid, Salazzle, Togedemaru and Kommo-o. Both get Mimikyu.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

tyblazitar posted:

Colors are locked just as they were in S/M. The Ultras are such that if you played Sun you should then progress to Ultra Moon. Only time-specific events I can think of are Dusk Lycanroc, have fun evolving him at 5 AM in Ultra Moon. Be prepared for 85% of the game to be the same as S/M.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Ultra versions have the same version exclusive pokémon/outfit colors, as well as different sets of legendaries from previous generations available. I think the only plot difference is that a couple characters switch places, and I'm fairly sure Ultra Moon gets the better constellation, not having seen the alternative.

E: Oh yeah, and you get different totem-like pokémon. That's a thing.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 16, 2018

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Thanks, I have no idea what this Totem Pokemon system is but I'll just assume it's not too important. Ultra Moon it is then!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tyblazitar posted:

Thanks, I have no idea what this Totem Pokemon system is but I'll just assume it's not too important. Ultra Moon it is then!

You know how you fight Totem pokemon and they're bigger than your pokemon? Yeah, Oak's cousin now gives you them once you collect a certain amount of stickers.

They're nothing incredibly important, but hey if you wanted to use a bigger Togedamaru now is your time to shine. And some of them are good for when you get them, like Marowak.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Zore posted:

You know how you fight Totem pokemon and they're bigger than your pokemon? Yeah, Oak's cousin now gives you them once you collect a certain amount of stickers.

They're nothing incredibly important, but hey if you wanted to use a bigger Togedamaru now is your time to shine. And some of them are good for when you get them, like Marowak.

By "good for when you get them" I assume you mean they're nothing special in terms of endgame stuff and don't get any special moves or abilities that a normal version of the same pokemon doesn't?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

tyblazitar posted:

By "good for when you get them" I assume you mean they're nothing special in terms of endgame stuff and don't get any special moves or abilities that a normal version of the same pokemon doesn't?

They do come with 3 perfect IVs and their HA. Which is better for some than others.

Weirdly 3 have their normal ability even though they have HAs. Lurantis, Araquanid and Salazzle come with their normal ability which kinda fucks over Lurantis and helps Araquanid.

They also have increased weight for all that matters with Low Kick/Grass knot etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 16, 2018

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zore posted:

They do come with 3 perfect IVs and their HA. Which is better for some than others.

You can also use a syncronize pokemon to set the nature to something good.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Zore posted:

They also have increased weight for all that matters with Low Kick/Grass knot etc.

Fair enough, not really that significant then.

poo poo, no more room on my SD card, guess I'll have to go out and buy either a bigger card or a physical copy tomorrow. Oh well.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Me, in the Pokégoon Discord posted:

Hello Gladion, hello Gladion's theme :D
"Mimi used confusion! It doesn’t affect the opposing zubat!" umm?
... you fucker, Gladion
Credit where it's due though, that was a good plan with that zorua
I should've known something like this might happen the minute I saw Zorua was in the game :v:. Nice trick though, and adds to the general chaos that that first fight with him prompts.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 16, 2018

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Game will not let me name my Araquanid "CGB Spinner" in my X-Files themed run. Game goes in garbage can.

e: CGB Spider works well enough. You got lucky, game.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What's the cookie-cutter VGC18 team looking like? I just caught a bunch of legendaries with good natures in luxury balls so I'm itching for an opportunity to strut my stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Eox posted:

What's the cookie-cutter VGC18 team looking like? I just caught a bunch of legendaries with good natures in luxury balls so I'm itching for an opportunity to strut my stuff.

Here's the viability ranking for 2018 (updated about a week ago)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/vgc-2018-viability-rankings.3622041/

If you go digging in the thread it'd probably have some decent answers

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Diet Poison posted:

Game will not let me name my Araquanid "CGB Spinner" in my X-Files themed run. Game goes in garbage can.

e: CGB Spider works well enough. You got lucky, game.

The censorship for words is really weird. I can't imagine what it sees wrong in Spinner.

It does allow Dong though, which is the word that truly matters.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
'inner' is what is causing it to trigger im guessing.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm planning a VGC team with....Wigglytuff.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blaze Dragon posted:

The censorship for words is really weird. I can't imagine what it sees wrong in Spinner.
The censorship crosses language barriers too, which is why you'd get stuff like Violet not being allowed(although I think they changed that by now?) because viole means rape in French.

So something in spinner is a horrible, fowl slur in another language, probably.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
iirc "pine" and similar derivatives are censored, also because of france

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing stopped Yog-Sothoth the Nihilego and Rhan-Tegoth the Naganadel at the name screen, and now nothing will in battle.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Haifisch posted:

The censorship crosses language barriers too, which is why you'd get stuff like Violet not being allowed(although I think they changed that by now?)

Can confirm. My Ultra Moon trainer is named Violet.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Here's the viability ranking for 2018 (updated about a week ago)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/vgc-2018-viability-rankings.3622041/

If you go digging in the thread it'd probably have some decent answers

Looking at this list, the fact that the only Gen 7 Pokemon to make the upper tiers are Tapu Fini/Koko/Lele points to all of Gen 7 being really awful more than the Tapus being overpowered to me. Like, you can actually just use an unchanged CHALK team from whatever year the previous National Dex VGC format was; every one of those Pokemon are still higher on the rankings than anything in Gen 7 besides Amoonguss, who is halfway down the Tapu cluster.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Amoongus isn't gen 7

Stakataka is B+, that's pretty decent. but yeah Gen 7's mons didn't really make the cut in general besides tapus and UBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Amoongus isn't gen 7

Stakataka is B+, that's pretty decent. but yeah Gen 7's mons didn't really make the cut in general besides tapus and UBs.

Amoonguss is part of CHALK. It's Cresselia, Heatran, Amoonguss, Landorus-T, Mega Kangaskhan. Every one of those Pokemon besides Amoonguss is A+ or better, and variants on that exact same team was the biggest chunk of the metagame in 2014 or whatever as well. Basically besides 3 of the Tapus and Celesteela being sprinkled into various teams, you could argue that Gale Wings nerf had a bigger impact on the metagame than the entirety of Gen 7 because the Gen was so underpowered compared to previous ones.