Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Since she’s underwater and holding her breath anyway, might as well have a fun internal narrative for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It’s actually pretty heavy and hard to move in. Just not nearly as heavy or hard to move in as pop culture would have it. A friend of mine who’s worn both compared it to modern firefighting gear in that regard.

Maybe this armor is made of adamantine or something.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

MikeJF posted:

Maybe this armor is made of adamantine or something.

I suspect it's more that she's super-strong and powered by her burning will made manifest through the voice of God, but, it's also possible her armor is special.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

I suspect it's more that she's super-strong and powered by her burning will made manifest through the voice of God, but, it's also possible her armor is special.

I don't even mean it's special, I just mean that for all we know, metals a fraction the weight and a dozen times stronger than our medieval alloys are commonly used on Throne. Hell, it makes sense to expect them to be better.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 13, 2018

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I thought it was leather armor tbh

e: that said, leather armor is apparently kinda bad and hard to maneuver with IRL, so I'm not sure it'd matter

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Cio better not be loving dead.

cio is dead

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

NO

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cio is dead

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just because she's dead doesn't mean she has to stop living.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

cio is dead, long live cio

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

MikeJF posted:

I don't even mean it's special, I just mean that for all we know, metals a fraction the weight and a dozen times stronger than our medieval alloys are commonly used on Throne. Hell, it makes sense to expect them to be better.

Regular clothing is almost impossible to swim in without specialized training, so any kind of armor would be loving impossible.

But she's a wizard, so who gives a gently caress.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cio is dead

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Regular clothing is almost impossible to swim in without specialized training, so any kind of armor would be loving impossible.

But she's a wizard, so who gives a gently caress.

I seem to recall reading about infantry that was near bodies of water having to practice swimming in armor...I'm a pretty strong swimmer, but even trying to get from a boat to a dock in track pants and a t-shirt sucked. Did not expect it to be that hard.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I'm going to keep this for future plot developments.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ThaumPenguin posted:

I thought it was leather armor tbh

e: that said, leather armor is apparently kinda bad and hard to maneuver with IRL, so I'm not sure it'd matter

Turns out hardened leather of the olde tymes maybe more akin to plastics or ceramics we have now. It might have been in this thread or some GBS thread where it came up before, but the secret lost techniques used for leather hardening in those days was not just "boiled leather," and it made it extraordinarily pliable and then hardened it in a way that was similar to producing baklite or hard synthetic objects. As far as I know the old ways haven't been fully reconstructed but it's known that you would get a material that was moldable and would keep an extremely ridged durable form after the fact.

There are in existence super old and fancy leather-based items that are basically intricate fancy style boxes or other stuff like that. But we only have what was preserved so the common soldier type stuff or armor may have rotted with the various corpses of the day. Even if it was hardened it can still rot or get lovely.

Unfortunately it's possible that in order to make animal skin into a substance with those kind of properties you might need to boil it in with turds or something extremely gross as gently caress so because nobody wrote it down and it was nasty the knowledge was lost. Also as far as I know we can make similar objects now but they won't be as good or as durable as real period objects because the system of changes that produced them never got written so we're essentially bullshitting ourselves and reinventing the wheel.

What i'm saying is IRL leather armor that was used when it was useful may not really be all that similar to what we consider leather armor now. Ima continue to swim myself into a bottle of booze tbh.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
isn't tanning hides already incredibly nasty even before you get into the realm of lost turdboiling technique?

e. yeah a glance at the Wikipedia article makes me wonder how anybody figured this out and what the experimentation process look like.

"Okay what if we let it rot for a month, piss on it, and then hit it with rocks."

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 14, 2018

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

paranoid randroid posted:

"Okay what if we let it rot for a month, piss on it, and then hit it with rocks."

Don't kinkshame.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

Don't kinkshame.

"Hey Larry, our kink skins ended up getting really durable, let's see if we can do it again"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Unfortunately it's possible that in order to make animal skin into a substance with those kind of properties you might need to boil it in with turds or something extremely gross as gently caress so because nobody wrote it down and it was nasty the knowledge was lost.

Reach knowledge through feces

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Entertainment options were a lot more limited in the ancient world. They had a lot of time to get creative.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Turns out hardened leather of the olde tymes maybe more akin to plastics or ceramics we have now. It might have been in this thread or some GBS thread where it came up before, but the secret lost techniques used for leather hardening in those days was not just "boiled leather," and it made it extraordinarily pliable and then hardened it in a way that was similar to producing baklite or hard synthetic objects. As far as I know the old ways haven't been fully reconstructed but it's known that you would get a material that was moldable and would keep an extremely ridged durable form after the fact.

There are in existence super old and fancy leather-based items that are basically intricate fancy style boxes or other stuff like that. But we only have what was preserved so the common soldier type stuff or armor may have rotted with the various corpses of the day. Even if it was hardened it can still rot or get lovely.

Unfortunately it's possible that in order to make animal skin into a substance with those kind of properties you might need to boil it in with turds or something extremely gross as gently caress so because nobody wrote it down and it was nasty the knowledge was lost. Also as far as I know we can make similar objects now but they won't be as good or as durable as real period objects because the system of changes that produced them never got written so we're essentially bullshitting ourselves and reinventing the wheel.

What i'm saying is IRL leather armor that was used when it was useful may not really be all that similar to what we consider leather armor now. Ima continue to swim myself into a bottle of booze tbh.

That's really interesting, thanks!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i can only imagine that the impulse to tinker endlessly and randomly with the extra materials at hand for the chance of finding something useful is a possible human characteristic trait that far predates the advent of silly things like civilization. enough weirdoes over a long enough timespan means somebody has to succeed beyond their wildest dreams every once in a while

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Just turdboil Cio's mask back together what's the problem?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

***words about poopsmith leathermancy***

Any youtube videos or the like about this that you'd recommend for someone who Would Like To Know More?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tollymain posted:

i can only imagine that the impulse to tinker endlessly and randomly with the extra materials at hand for the chance of finding something useful is a possible human characteristic trait that far predates the advent of silly things like civilization. enough weirdoes over a long enough timespan means somebody has to succeed beyond their wildest dreams every once in a while

all of human history is basically the result of a bored monkey looking at sprouting wheat and thinking "what the gently caress. what the gently caress. what the gently caress"

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
"That fruit that fell off the tree a few days ago smells amazing." - And thus did Human History begin.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
who was it that said that if Allison care bear stares her problems then they're loving leaving

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Any youtube videos or the like about this that you'd recommend for someone who Would Like To Know More?

nope but here are a couple where there's different techniques used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvsczV3RLjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNUZwug5t0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC9ODdF6z2M

Seems like nobody really knows exactly what they're talking about and there are differing theories irt why any part of it works the way it does. "leather hardening 3" is not from some renaissance fair type dude, he makes the old style golf clubs and he needs what will eventually be a hard puck of leather for the club. That guy seems to think boiling leather changes the structure, polymerizes it, but you need to put it in a press or vice to actually get good results. The other water hardener guy seems to think that you don't need any kind of pressure or forming except your hands he also thinks wax hardening is insane and a terrible idea.

look it boiled leather up on wiki, you can see some of the crazy poo poo they made out of it. It also mentions how there are multiple conflicting recipes. I guess I either hallucinated the turdboiling part or heard it from some other more esoteric source. I think it's real but I can't find where I got the idea

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The feces soaking thing is called "baiting", it de-limed the leather after hair removal and the enzymes involved softened it for forming and tanning. This is a distinct process from the one that involved soaking the leather in urine.

There's a reason tanneries were always kept outside city limits.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it is worth noting that the single substance not produced by humans we have had the longest to tinker with is animal hides

we have had the entirety of human history and the entirety of human boredom, minus about three centuries, to try every possible sequence of verbs on the noun "dead animal bits"

that only 90% of the ways to cure leather involve piss and poo poo is surprisingly low

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

It's probably something like one cave family used animal hides to line the seat of their shithole and daddy caveman didn't raise the seat to piss.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Smooshed up brains were another popular tanning ingredient.

Or if you're boring you can use tree bark.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tanners are wild

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

who was it that said that if Allison care bear stares her problems then they're loving leaving

Hot make outs do not a care bear stare make.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Hot make outs do not a care bear stare make.
Want to change that? Pledge to my Kickstarter, a dark reimagining of the Care Bears.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Want to change that? Pledge to my Kickstarter, a dark reimagining of the Care Bears.

You forgot to link your kickstarter. Throwing dollars at my monitor does nothing.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
In which we explore the architectural implications of the square-cube law.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where is that tree getting its nutrients from.

Is this just a thin layer of gold over dirt.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No crown. Guess that means it worked?

MikeJF posted:

It is the rare and valuable Scrooge McTree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

You forgot to link your kickstarter. Throwing dollars at my monitor does nothing.

throw harder

MikeJF posted:

Mammon has so many worlds to draw from for interior decorating purposes i think its probable that sooner or later he could find a tree that can grow in gold coins