Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Phanatic posted:

Not sure how I missed hearing about this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42680945

Suezmax tanker collides with a freighter, burns, floats around for a week and then explodes and sinks. Whole crew (32) is killed.

If only it had had 6001 hulls.

The thing I don't get about this is how did the entire crew die when the ship took a week to sink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Probably catastrophic initial contact/first 24 hours, and then a week to gather the bodies.

E: the crew areas, even on a ship that large, only take up a very small amount of space relative to the size of the ship. An overwhelming fume situation could have taken out the entire crew quarters in a very short amount of time.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 16, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

0toShifty posted:

The thing I don't get about this is how did the entire crew die when the ship took a week to sink?

The article says the rescue team couldn't spend long on board due to the heat and toxicity. I'm guessing the crew died very quickly after the initial accident and it was a ghost ship for that week.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

0toShifty posted:

They died in the initial incident. They were able to recover some of the bodies before it sank.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Phanatic posted:

Ugh. 10 minutes in, it repeats completely uncritically the myth that when they set off the Trinity bomb there was a concern that it would ignite the atmosphere and kill all life on earth. "And they did the test anyway."

I hope it gets better, because the book was great.

I mean, there was some concern there. That's why they did the math. The math showed it couldn't happen. They doublechecked the math, and it still couldn't happen.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
That never made sense to me.

How do you 'ignite the atmosphere'?
Like... It's nitrogen, carbon dioxide and oxygen.

No matter how much heat I dump into that mix, I still only see two legs of the fire triangle, and no fuel.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Moto42 posted:

No matter how much heat I dump into that mix, I still only see two legs of the fire triangle, and no fuel.

Nitrogen burns if you believe hard enough.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The fire triangle does not fully explain the chemistry of fire.

It is expected that fifth graders will not be starting nuclear detonations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Moto42 posted:

The fear was actually a selfsustaining fusion reaction between the nitrogen atoms in the atmosphere. Pretty ridiculous now, but definitely something I understand wanting to check in the early days of nuclear physics.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 16, 2018

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Moto42 posted:

Not a chemical reaction, think of what reactions go on in the giant ball of fire in the sky (unless you live in Seattle)

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-scientists-risked-destroying-the-earth-during-nuclear-tests-and-cern.t692/

It's entirely implausible, the heat from the fission reaction is no where near hot enough and contained enough to come even close to setting it off.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Ah, ok. That makes a little more sense as a thing to be worried about.

I always heard 'ignite' and thought 'chemical fire'. The idea that they worried about a self-sustaining nuclear reaction never crossed my mind.

Although, a self sustaining fusion reactor would be pretty easy to build, if you had enough hydrogen.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

They made a documentary about the Van Allen radiation belt catching fire. Maybe some of you have watched it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrpM4_fPIT4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Moto42 posted:

Ah, ok. That makes a little more sense as a thing to be worried about.

I always heard 'ignite' and thought 'chemical fire'. The idea that they worried about a self-sustaining nuclear reaction never crossed my mind.

Although, a self sustaining fusion reactor would be pretty easy to build, if you had enough hydrogen.

The full story behind it is that, before the Manhattan Project scientists had finished solving all the math they needed to do in order to build the bomb, one of them said "hey, is it possible that this detonation could trigger runaway fusion between nitrogen atoms in the air and consume the whole atmosphere?". No one in the world had yet produced a fission bomb or a fusion reaction of any kind, so no one was really sure what might happen, and no one had tried to mathematically work out the likelihood of that particular scenario.

So, the question having been raised, the scientists did the math on it later that same day and concluded that no, it was probably not possible to trigger such a fusion reaction and there was no need to worry. Over the next few months they would conduct further research and determine exactly how impossible it was (extremely), and by the time of the Trinity test no one had any concern at all.

The more you know.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Moto42 posted:

1.51 x 10^28 Kg? Yea, I suppose most engineering challenges are simple if you can wave a magic wand :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

So, the question having been raised, the scientists did the math on it later that same day and concluded that no, it was probably not possible to trigger such a fusion reaction and there was no need to worry. Over the next few months they would conduct further research and determine exactly how impossible it was (extremely), and by the time of the Trinity test no one had any concern at all.

It didn’t stop them from taking bets. :v:

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Platystemon posted:

It didn’t stop them from taking bets. :v:

What was the plan if you won the bet?
Use the money to buy a new atmosphere?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

That strange guy posted:

For about half a second you'd be the smuggest bastard in the world.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

That strange guy posted:

They took bets on what the yield would be. Fermi pissed off a lot of brass because his wager was a yield of zero*.

I recall reading in Richard Rhodes' Dark Sun that the rumor about atmospheric ignition happened during the first thermo-nuclear detonation, and that it was Teller (or von Neumann) that provided the paper explaining why it wouldn't happen.

*Fermi managed to calculate the actual yield for himself, by throwing tissues on the ground during detonation and observing their displacement.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Colombia motorway bridge collapses killing nine workers

A motorway bridge under construction in Colombia has collapsed, killing at least nine workers and injuring five others.

The bridge in Chirajara was to be part of a highway connecting the capital, Bogotá, with the city of Villavicencio.

Photos from the scene show a large part of the 450m-long bridge lying in the ravine below.

Transport Minister Germán Cardona spoke of a "tragedy" and said the cause of the collapse would be investigated.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42701262

Uff, I guess better now than once it's finished? Still a huge fuckup and sucks for all involved.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Are they going to have to pull the other side down and start again from scratch?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah at least that's what I had to do every time I hosed up in Bridge Builder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah at least that's what I had to do every time I hosed up in Bridge Builder.

Just build the remaining pillar twice as tall and hang the whole bridge off it :shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If they still have enough money to clean up the mess and rebuild the collapsed half, it's probably fine. The cable stays will be able to hold up that existing part of the bridge pretty much indefinitely.

If they don't have enough money to finish the road any more, it could end up being a pretty impressive bridge to nowhere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Kickass bungee jumping platform.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Keiya posted:

The fear was actually a selfsustaining fusion reaction between the nitrogen atoms in the atmosphere. Pretty ridiculous now, but definitely something I understand wanting to check in the early days of nuclear physics.

Actually the secret fear was that the Nitrogen atoms would get all pissed off that we started to use nukes that they'd want to be free from the planet. Explosively

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jabor posted:

The cable stays will be able to hold up that existing part of the bridge pretty much indefinitely.

I am sure they thought that about the side that is on the ground.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Kickass bungee jumping platform.
That's how they'll get the funds to finish the bridge, in fact.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Serephina posted:

1.51 x 10^28 Kg? Yea, I suppose most engineering challenges are simple if you can wave a magic wand :)
The raw materials can be hard to ship in bulk, but if you can get them, the device practically builds itself.
;)

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

mobby_6kl posted:

Uff, I guess better now than once it's finished? Still a huge fuckup and sucks for all involved.

Crazy. I just drove past this bridge at the beginning of the month. If it had already been completed, I would have driven *on* it.

Honestly I'm surprised more things don't randomly fall down around here. I should probably make a post with all the horrible OSHA poo poo I find just walking around Bogotá.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

quote:

Construction officials said that fortunately not many workers were on the bridge at the time of the collapse as staff were receiving a safety briefing.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

SlightButSteady posted:

I recall reading in Richard Rhodes' Dark Sun that the rumor about atmospheric ignition happened during the first thermo-nuclear detonation, and that it was Teller (or von Neumann) that provided the paper explaining why it wouldn't happen.

Yeah the paper is by Teller, along with Konopinski & Marvin. They basically come to the conclusion, after a bunch of math, that atmospheric ignition is very unlikely, but it’s an interesting idea.

Sorry about the scan quality, I think it was done in the early 90s at a very low resolution. The paper is from 1946, and was declassified in 1979.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Leave it as is, put up a webcam. dibs on 11hundredfoot8.com

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like this part of the atmospheric ignition story:

Richard Hamming posted:

Shortly before the first field test (you realize that no small scale experiment can be done—either you have a critical mass or you do not), a man asked me to check some arithmetic he had done, and I agreed, thinking to fob it off on some subordinate. When I asked what it was, he said, "It is the probability that the test bomb will ignite the whole atmosphere." I decided I would check it myself! The next day when he came for the answers I remarked to him, "The arithmetic was apparently correct but I do not know about the formulas for the capture cross sections for oxygen and nitrogen—after all, there could be no experiments at the needed energy levels." He replied, like a physicist talking to a mathematician, that he wanted me to check the arithmetic not the physics, and left. I said to myself, "What have you done, Hamming, you are involved in risking all of life that is known in the Universe, and you do not know much of an essential part?" I was pacing up and down the corridor when a friend asked me what was bothering me. I told him. His reply was, "Never mind, Hamming, no one will ever blame you."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Platystemon posted:

I like this part of the atmospheric ignition story:

quote:

"Never mind, Hamming, no one will ever blame you."

Well... he's not wrong.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Xpost from the China thread:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Cross-post from the Crappy Construction Thread

Makes me miss the demo part when I worked construction.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Russian man gets sucked into a snowmobile
He walks it off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_pfYZotC84

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xergm posted:

Russian man gets sucked into a snowmobile
He walks it off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_pfYZotC84

Their first reaction to seeing someone's entire body get sucked into running machinery is laughing.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
They're laughing like that's the prank they pull on new guys.

There isn't that much that can maul you up in there, but he's lucky he jammed against the belt and the driver didn't give it much beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless