Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I picked up a bottle of OGD 114 today so I guess you can say we both scored about the same :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Can your family adopt me?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just bought a bottle of Suntory Chita. Normally that stuff is way too expensive for what it is but it was well discounted to €35 which seems reasonable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I just bought a bottle of Suntory Chita. Normally that stuff is way too expensive for what it is but it was well discounted to €35 which seems reasonable.

My friend brought one back from Japan, where it costs a bit under $20. It's OK. If you like Hibiki it should be enjoyable, I think it's the main ingredient in the Hibiki blend.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's usually anywhere between 45 and 60 which is absolutely ridiculous. Will report back when I eventually do try it. (Need to take care of some leftovers first.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 5, 2018

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
My luck this year keeps getting better and better. More BTAC at MSRP :eyepop:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

2DCAT posted:

My luck this year keeps getting better and better. More BTAC at MSRP :eyepop:

Where the hell do you live???

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Vox Nihili posted:

Where the hell do you live???

Finding it in Northern Virginia. They had a lottery and apparently a bunch of folks that won haven't been picking it up, and the stores have been calling me once it's free to sell to anyone lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

2DCAT posted:

Finding it in Northern Virginia. They had a lottery and apparently a bunch of folks that won haven't been picking it up, and the stores have been calling me once it's free to sell to anyone lol

gently caress why didn't I think of scooping up sloppy seconds. :negative:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

OSheaman posted:

I should clarify: I enjoy specific reviews, but I'm more looking to get into the nuts and bolts of whiskey, how it works, what the different styles are, how to talk about whiskey to laymen, maybe some good non-classic whiskey cocktails, etc etc etc. Rather than an individual opinion about Buffalo Trace, if that makes sense.

Canadian Whisky by Davin de Kergommeaux is the definitive book on the whiskies of the Great White North.

I never used to like whisky, but lately I've been really into Forty Creek.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Port barrel-finished whiskey from the St. Augustine Distillery. It looks even more like a ruby in person and tastes wonderful.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Juaguocio posted:

I never used to like whisky, but lately I've been really into Forty Creek.

Forty Creek is really good and I really like their Copper Pot.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying most Canadian whisky these days. I find I get a lot more bang for my buck whenever I pick some up at the LCBO versus others at the same price point (maybe because they're pushing local here in Ontario). They're not always the smoothest, but they always have a really rich flavour that I enjoy.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I received a bottle of Highland park 12 Year Viking Honour as a Christmas present and I've just opened it.

It smells so great I'm not sure I'm even going to drink it. It's peaty as you'd expect from an island whisky but also quite sweet.

brb redefining 'snifter' in my head to calibrate for this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Budgie posted:

I received a bottle of Highland park 12 Year Viking Honour as a Christmas present and I've just opened it.

It smells so great I'm not sure I'm even going to drink it. It's peaty as you'd expect from an island whisky but also quite sweet.

brb redefining 'snifter' in my head to calibrate for this

Go on and drink it. It's not an incredibly expensive whiskey, so if you like it you can buy more pretty easily.

I have an ounce or two left of Macallan 12. It's a $70 bottle, so not something you buy lightly but also not something completely out of reach like 30.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

chitoryu12 posted:

Go on and drink it. It's not an incredibly expensive whiskey, so if you like it you can buy more pretty easily.

I have an ounce or two left of Macallan 12. It's a $70 bottle, so not something you buy lightly but also not something completely out of reach like 30.

Oh, I know I can just pop down to the nearest supermarket and pick it up but it's actually pretty great for a single malt and especially one with a reputation for having a heavily peaty flavour. It's sweet enough that it doesn't taste like it's 40% vol. The bottle is pretty cool looking too. It's just surprising because I usually think of Highland Park whiskys as being too peaty tasting for me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I didn't think I would like peat-smoked whiskeys, but I went to Maysville in NYC and asked the bartender to introduce me to it. I sampled a slightly smokey one before moving on to a seriously smokey one and I loved it. It's like drinking a barbecue.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Recieved this in the mail the other day.
I had sent a postcard to be an ambassador way back in 2003.
All in all its a pretty silly program but they send you free stuff from time to time.:shrug:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Silly programs are fun. I own part of the Laphroaig bog ya know :smuggo:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Silly programs are fun. I own part of the Laphroaig bog ya know :smuggo:

Same.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Between the scotch drinkers in this thread we probably 'own' enough of the field opposite Laphroaig to build our own distillery.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Thumposaurus posted:

Recieved this in the mail the other day.
I had sent a postcard to be an ambassador way back in 2003.
All in all its a pretty silly program but they send you free stuff from time to time.:shrug:

That's pretty hilarious and kinda awesome. I would guess an intern or new hire was super motivated and found some old mail.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Oh no I've been a regular ambassador the whole time. It's just after a certain amount of time I guess they elevate you to the next level.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Oh well that's still interesting. Do you live close enough to take advantage?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm in the Washington DC area. I was planning on making a trip down there when my barrel(they put your name on a brass plaque with about 20 others on a barrel) came of age but life got in the way so I wasn't able to.
They still send something for Christmas every year. One year it was some acrylic rocks glasses, one year it was coasters that looked like the wax seal, an ice ball maker, and some other gift bags and such.
They supposedly have events at local bars from time to time but I've never really looked into it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's been years since my visit to Frankfort and the distillery tour, I'd love to do it again soon.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I got an ambassador for life card too. I think I signed up originally because of a SA thread. I picked up my ambassador bottles at the distillery back in 2014 or so.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I want to thank you guys for the awesome recommendations in the thread and OP. I thought I liked whiskey before just based on mainstream stuff (Crown, Makers, Jameson). Apparently, I had no idea, as I learned when I massively upped my game recently with:
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Four Roses Small Batch
  • Forty Creek Copper Pot - Haven't tried this yet, but I really enjoy the regular Forty Creek
  • Ardbeg 10 - I may regret this being my first real scotch since it will be hard to love something less smokey. It's a glorious bog fire.
I also have a Woodford tasting in a couple weeks I am looking forward to.

Next on the wish list is Highland Park 12, a good Irish whiskey, and all the bourbon.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Enigma posted:

Ardbeg 10 - I may regret this being my first real scotch since it will be hard to love something less smokey. It's a glorious bog fire.
Give Ardbeg uigeadail a try, it's like drinking liquid smoke

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I need to buy a new bottle soon. I have an ounce or two of Macallan 12 and St. Augustine Distillery left, and then I have no more whiskey.

I did a drinking game where I played Gun, a game in which your character takes a slug of whiskey every time you refill your health. Every time I had to refill my health in the game, I took a shot of Platte Valley corn whiskey in a jug.

You either got really good or really bad.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I need to buy a new bottle soon. I have an ounce or two of Macallan 12 and St. Augustine Distillery left, and then I have no more whiskey.

I did a drinking game where I played Gun, a game in which your character takes a slug of whiskey every time you refill your health. Every time I had to refill my health in the game, I took a shot of Platte Valley corn whiskey in a jug.

You either got really good or really bad.

Did that playing Bang! (the card game) with folks before. Ah, law school...

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Give Ardbeg uigeadail a try, it's like drinking liquid smoke

Will check it out, thanks. My wife hates when I drink the Ardbeg 10; says it smells like horrible antiseptic. I disagree and love the smell, but goddamn does that stuff fill the room.

I do not recommend the Forty Creek Copper Pot neat unless you have a fetish for butterscotch. It tasted more like a butterscotch liqueur than a proper whiskey. It probably goes fantastic with coffee (the barrel select does and it’s equally as sweet) or something bitter to balance it out.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
When a ballistic missile is coming down on your head, don't forget to drink your most expensive whisky...

quote:

For some, the prospect of the end of the world was an opportunity to indulge. Joshua Keoki Versola was home alone in Mililani when he received the alert. As he waited for his fiancee to drive home from her place of work, the 35-year-old network engineer opened a bottle of Hibiki 21, an award-winning and expensive Japanese whisky.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/13/hawaii-ballistic-missile-threat-alert-false-alarm

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Good man. Face the end of the world in style.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In addition to that, I'd go get smokes right away. No use in not smoking if we're all going to die imminently anyway!

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
That's how to go out in style. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of babies in Hawaii in about 9 and a half months too.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Speaking of a Japanese whisky saw this at a local shop. Very very smooth and nice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mandalay posted:

Speaking of a Japanese whisky saw this at a local shop. Very very smooth and nice.

If it's rice, wouldn't that make it shochu?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not sure how this works according to formal/legal definitions in various countries, but I'd say the most important elements of whisk(e)y are "made from some kind of grain" and "aged." It's untraditional, perhaps, but I would still call it whisky.

I believe shochu can also be made from barley, so it's not defined by the grain used for the mash.

I would like to try this kind of whisky, if I can find it. Japanese whisky hasn't been my thing, but I'd be more willing to try an unusual, innovative product like this than another single malt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

chitoryu12 posted:

It's made, in part, from malted rice, which apparently disqualifies it from being labeled shochu. At least, that seems to be the case if it's multiply distilled; the rules for singly distilled shochu are different, and I'm not sure if malted grains are allowed there.