Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Greet him cordially - no need to dirty ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cordial greetings, of course- as shabby as Figs might appear to be, we are still a valet and he an independent gentleman.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cordially.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Ah!" Figs holds his hand out for just a moment more, then drops it awkwardly. "Sorry. I'm not very good at greetings."

"Not at all," you say. "It's good to see you."

"Well, Butler," says Figs. "It's been a while."

"What a strange coincidence," you say. "I've just been hearing about your...difficulties." You watch as Fig's delight at seeing you drains away, and he is left, a broken and brooding shell of a man.

"So you know all."

"I do."

"You know of my despair. You know of my inability to see my one and only, my darling Mopsie, of whom no one is more lovely, more worthy of adoration. But Butler, are you headed up to Woodland Centre, to Ritornello, for the big fox hunt and feast?"

"Yes, I'm meeting Mr. Wintermint there."

"Then...then you'll see Mopsie. You may enter, where I am barred entrance. Tell me, Butler, would you embrace her for me? And tell her that you saw me, and that I do nothing but pine away for her. Embrace her, and kiss her dewy brow for me."

"I don't think I'll be kissing her dewy brow, but I'll tell her that you are thinking of her."
"I shall be certain to do so. And I shall ensure that she knows the pain you are in."
"Have you heard from her at all? Do you even know if she still loves you?"

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 32%
Persuade: 42% (+6%)
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63%

Your Reputation
Renown: 9%
Tranquility: 14%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%

Ready Monies: 23

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Heard from her at all?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I like #2.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

#3. She's just not that into you, dude.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I don't think I'll be kissing her dewy brow, but I'll tell her that you are thinking of her."

We probably shouldn't start hugging and macking on random girls in the name of someone else's crush.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

We can easily relay a message.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Tell her you're thinking of her. Dewy Brow kissing is something he'll have to do himself.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Have you heard from her?
e: the below poster is very convincing.

I will be sure to do so

rchandra fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 15, 2018

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

We probably shouldn't start hugging and macking on random girls in the name of someone else's crush.

Completely disagree. Option 2.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

We are tied between Let her know you're thinking of her and Have you heard from her at all?. Next new or changed vote takes it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have you heard from her at all?

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Perish the thought, Butler! That shows how little you know of our love. It is true, and eternal, and beyond all that is finite."

"Good to know."

"Don't speak lightly of it."

"I wouldn't dream of it."

Figs pauses. "Say, you know, Butler, I have been just sitting here, before you came in, thinking of how I can get Aunt Primrose - sorry, Mrs. Patterson - to like me better. She seems to have the impression that I am - and I am quoting her directly here - 'an addlepated goof with little to no prospects'. Do you know what I say to that? I say, 'Ha!' I have prospects, and a dream of making a life for myself as an artist. Surely you can understand that."

"Perhaps you can simply tell Mrs. Patterson of those prospects? If she knew all, she could hardly be hard-hearted."

Figs paces up and down the aisle, making something of a spectacle of himself. "By Jove, Butler, you're right. I've got to speak out. For too long I've been hiding my light under the apple barrel, and it's time to stop." He drums his fingers on the wall. "Hm - you know, Butler, perhaps you can help me. Here's let's role-play this out. I'll be me, and you be Aunt Primrose."

"You'll be you?"

"Yes, I'll be me, you be Aunt Primrose, and, ah, this plate will be Mopsie." He wipes off a plate with his sleeve and puts it on his seat. Some of the passengers watch with great interest, anticipating free entertainment.

You clear your throat.

It seems to you that there are a few ways to do this. Obviously if Figs is going to confront Aunt Primrose, he's going to need to be prepared with an accurate portrayal of Aunt Primrose. On the other hand, it is possible that word could get back to Aunt Primrose that you were mimicking her, which would be seen as disrespectful, so maybe it isn't such a good idea to portray her. Or maybe you can somehow get the crowd to give Figs advice, so the responsibility is removed from your shoulders.

"All right, I'll be Aunt Primrose."
"Actually, you should be Aunt Primrose, and I'll be you. That way you can watch me being you and learn from me."
"Figs, I have a far better idea. Let's ask all these people to be Mrs. Patterson, collectively."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Persuade: 42%
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66% (+3% Abrasiveness)

Your Reputation

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Crowd seems best for comedy I think.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
We are a Butler, not an actor - let's leave it up to the Crowd.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Aye, the crowd it is.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I agree that crowd might be a good laugh.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Going with the crowd.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Make it a crowd song!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

please spoil the outcomes of all 3 of these choices, i dont care about stats i just really want to see what happens

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

I don't actually know the ending to any of those options. And unfortunately, this game has no checkpoint system, so any kind of experimentation requires starting over and clicking through all our choices again. I know it doesn't seem like much, but I've already had to do that once since the mobile version of this game sometimes registers a finger swipe as a choice selection and page advancement. It's tedious, if nothing else. Sorry about that.

quote:

"Collectively?"

"Yes. Think of it like this: if you can stand up to fifty people, surely you can stand up to one aunt, right?"

"I - suppose so?"

"Excuse me, everyone," you call, with cupped hands. "This is Figs. Figs has a problem in the more intimate portion of his life, vis-a-vis a forbidden romance with Mopsie."

Here you motion towards the plate. Figs bows his head.

"We all need to pull together to help him. He's particularly afraid of Mopsie's aunt, and I'd like to ask all of you if you would portray his aunt."

"What's she like?" calls a middle-aged woman traveling with her mother.

"Ooh, she's tough and loud, and not at all in favor of me," says Figs. "She said I was an 'addlepated goof with little to no prospects.'"

"I see, I see," says the woman.

"Does everyone understand their job?" you ask. "Figs and Mopsie are in love, but Aunt Primrose, also known as Mrs. Patterson (played by all of you) is going to breathe fire and brimstone at him; Figs needs to be able to weather the storm and emerge both steadfast and debonair."

quote:

"All right, may I have a subject for an argument?" you ask.

"Figs does something ill-mannered!" shouts a man wearing a cab driver's cap.

"Very good. And can I have a situation in which Figs might encounter Aunt Primrose?"

"Dinner party!" shouts the elderly mother.

"Stroll in the park!" calls a chimney sweep.

"Grand opening at a sweet shop!" cries an adorable young boy in a sailor suit holding a brightly colored all-day sucker.

"Dinner party it is."
"A stroll in the park is perfect."
"Grand opening at a sweet shop it shall be."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66%

Your Reputation

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 17, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dinner party seems most likely to really happen someday.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
"Grand opening at a sweet shop" - we need to give Figs an easy one, otherwise his lower class mind will melt from exhaustion.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Why, they obviously met during a stroll in the park

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sweet shop

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
I love everything about our last choice.
Dinner party should be fun.

Also, I didn't expect our butler to use "vis-a-vis" incorrectly :mad:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sweet shop. Humor the poor boy.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Park.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Take her to the Sweet Shop.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Pangurban posted:

I don't actually know the ending to any of those options. And unfortunately, this game has no checkpoint system, so any kind of experimentation requires starting over and clicking through all our choices again.

Do you want the script?

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Dinner party seems most likely to really happen someday.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

LightWarden posted:

Do you want the script?

I would love the script! I've read through the publicly available ones they have posted for their free games in the past, so I'm pretty good at parsing them out. Though, I don't have access to PMs on my account. Would you need my email?

quote:

"And, scene."

"What a lovely sweet shop we happen to find ourselves in, Aunt Primrose."

"Don't you call me Aunt Primrose!" screeches a shopgirl in a bonnet. "That's Mrs. Patterson to you!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Here, let me buy you these licorice allsorts."

"Never!" cries the cab driver. "I hate licorice allsorts. You know perfectly well that I care only for butterscotch barrels. You are a fool for trying to get into my good graces in such a poorly-informed manner. You are a malevolent--"

"--buffoon!" finishes the boy in the sailor suit. "Get lost. I fully intend to tell my dear Flopsie of the spectacle you're making of yourself."

"It's Mopsie," you correct.

"Flopsie," says the boy. "And you shall be...hm..."

"...whipped and tossed in a blanket and tarred and feathered if you so much as show your loathsome visage round these parts ever again. Find your own sweet shop," says the elderly mother. "Good day, sir."

"Now see here," says Figs, turning bright red.

"I said, good day, sir," the mother says with zest. "Now, I think I shall order a small bag of chocolate truffles, if you please."

Figs is beside himself. But it was good practice for him. The real encounter with Aunt Primrose is likely to be something like that or worse.

quote:

A gong sounds, indicating that a light meal is now available for third-class passengers at this time.

"Shall we?" asks Figs, grateful to have something other than preparing for verbal battle with Aunt Primrose to think about.

Together, you and Figs stroll to the refreshment car, and buy some slightly stale but still acceptable sandwiches.

It's an enjoyable enough meal for train fare. The thought of Beauregard, Aunt Primrose's temperamental but exquisite French chef, buoys you. You will soon have the opportunity to enjoy his cooking fr several days, and the thought gives you considerable pleasure.

A businessman lunching by himself coughs and folds over his newspaper, with a crisp flick. The headline proclaims that the well-known sneak thief "Light-Fingered Lou" is rumored to be operating in the vicinity of Woodland Centre. The businessman coughs again.

"Next stop, Brooks Crossing, where we shall pause for twenty minutes, followed by the last stop, Woodland Centre!" cries the conductor.

Placing your napkin down on the table, you prepare for the end of your journey.

You suppose you could return to the carriage you just came from and spend some more quality time with Figs, very likely hearing a great deal more about Mopsie. On the other hand, perhaps - just perhaps - you might be able to sneak into the second- or first-class carriages, if you are clever enough to manage it.

I return to third class with Figs
I sneak into second class.
I sneak into first class.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66%

Your Reputation

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sneak into first class.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As bold as we are, I’m not confident in our stealth. Return to Figs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

first class. We need to look proper for Rory, even if he can't afford it. Plus it has reclining seats!

• Locked thread