Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're not allowed to. It would stifle the competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Gorn Myson posted:

The BBC should just chuck their entire archive up online. Radio stuff too. Theres loads of radio shows that I, uh, "obtained", throughout the years which I have now lost, and I can never find them again unless they decide to repeat it and put it up online.

at no extra cost to us viewers / listeners of course

sadly not going to happen

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Hard Sun is really bad
can only assume this is the result of a bet

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

BBC employees have access to something called BBC Redux, which is an archive of every single thing broadcast, TV or radio, since (I think) 2006.

They're even downloadable in your choice of formats, no faffing with iPlayer's interface (which hangs a lot on me since the last redesign)

What I'm saying is, time to get a job at the Big British Castle.

edit: when I was first shown Redux by a friend who works at the BBC it was like going through the monolith in 2001. How I miss the mad two-day download binge I went on when they left their job.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 14, 2018

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Looke posted:

I think they're on Netflix at the moment as well

edit: first two series are on

That’s a point - if you have sky you can download to your box before they disappear, and they’ll keep until you get rid of them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

goatface posted:

They're not allowed to. It would stifle the competition.
I know, that was the original excuse. Except the competition have fuckloads of stuff to put up now, so they should be put in their place

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I can confirm that Redux is amazing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
A mate still has access somehow despite leaving his job and he won’t let me access it and uggggh

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

DrVenkman posted:

Man, INSIDE NO. 9 got me. No idea that the song at the end was an original one. Just assumed it was an old standard.

That was a really sad one. I think they captured the essence of crap dated comedy really well. And that ending, drat.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Inside No 9 "He's not Yewtree is he?" "No, but he will be." was excellent

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I only just figured out the actor who plays Cat from Red Dwarf also plays Dwayne in Death in Paradise. I've been watching both shows for years.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Red Oktober posted:

That’s a point - if you have sky you can download to your box before they disappear, and they’ll keep until you get rid of them.

Not always. Some things will delete from your box as well. BBC doesn't do that very often but it can happen.
And yea - the whole archive isn't up because Sky and ITV kicked up a huge fuss about the idea.

quote:

That was a really sad one. I think they captured the essence of crap dated comedy really well. And that ending, drat.
I remember thinking that I was glad this comedy didn't exist any more. Then I thought of Mrs Browns Boys.
MBB enjoyment isn't really a class thing, it's an age thing.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Just started watching the Detectorists, it's really good. Binge watched the first series in one evening. Problem is that it's so relaxed that I have a habit of nodding-off while watching it.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

What's stopping Sky and ITV from putting up their back catalogue archive too?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Matinee posted:

What's stopping Sky and ITV from putting up their back catalogue archive too?

they don't own the rights for most of it, and it'd be very expensive

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Octy posted:

I only just figured out the actor who plays Cat from Red Dwarf also plays Dwayne in Death in Paradise. I've been watching both shows for years.

Ahhhh, Danny the John the Jules.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Taear posted:

I remember thinking that I was glad this comedy didn't exist any more. Then I thought of Mrs Browns Boys.
MBB enjoyment isn't really a class thing, it's an age thing.

Really? I find it hard to believe that MBB was enjoyed by otherwise smart good people in it's prime. You get some pretty dodgy old comedy that's nonetheless really loving funny and skilfully made but MBB is not one of those.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just caught up on both the new Inside No. 9s myself. They're very well done and I'm glad the BBC still puts out quality weirdness without needing it to be a worldwide smash.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Man in a dress, bit like League of Gentlemen and that was very funny, clever stuff wasn't it?!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah it was.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Also a lot of "fecks" which Father Ted did and that was funny too!

Combine man in a dress and saying "feck" a lot made it a sure thing comedy great!

(I love The League of Gentlemen and Father Ted. I am being silly. Mrs. Browns Boys is awful).

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I honestly thought Mrs Browns Boys was based on those lovely Aunty Acid memes that Middle aged ladies share on Facebook. But apparently it’s been round for ages.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord

Slash posted:

Just started watching the Detectorists, it's really good. Binge watched the first series in one evening. Problem is that it's so relaxed that I have a habit of nodding-off while watching it.

It’s so lovely, I watched a few months ago just before the BBC should the 3rd series. It’s easily become one of my all time favourite comedies.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Taear posted:

Not always. Some things will delete from your box as well. BBC doesn't do that very often but it can happen.

I’ve never seen that happen before - and that’s exactly what just happened.

I opened the menu to watch them. As they disappeared, one by one.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think what annoys me about Mrs Browns Boys is that I actually like the atmosphere they set up by breaking the fourth wall because it makes the show feel more like a pantomime than a traditional sitcom. Then they piss this good idea away with an incredibly tedious set up along with some truly awful scripts.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I've never seen Mrs Browns Boys but I have seen Justin's House and I assume them to be very similar

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Octy posted:

Get this, he also played Barrington in Maid Marian and her Merry Men with Tony Robinson. Took me years to realise that.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Looking at the BBC Press office page, I've just noticed that they've started work on a fifth season of Luther.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/luther-series-five-casting

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
McMafia is an odd one. Obviously spent bucket loads of cash making it, and all the side plots and ensemble characters are interesting, but James Norton and his girlfriend may as well be made out of cardboard. It's genuinely baffling to me how boring and empty they are.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Looking at the BBC Press office page, I've just noticed that they've started work on a fifth season of Luther.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/luther-series-five-casting

Idris Elba tweeted about day 1 of shooting some time last week.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

I think what annoys me about Mrs Browns Boys is that I actually like the atmosphere they set up by breaking the fourth wall because it makes the show feel more like a pantomime than a traditional sitcom. Then they piss this good idea away with an incredibly tedious set up along with some truly awful scripts.

Yeah, I watched some of the Christmas episode because it was on, and my main opinion of it was that it was incredibly lazy. It was like a school play at times, and not because they couldn't do any better, but because they just couldn't be bothered to. Maybe it had some effort put into it when it started? The "meta" concept is interesting (at one point a character flubbed her lines and they all laughed and then they restarted the scene, all on camera), but it seems more like they use it as an excuse for not being professional.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

McMafia is an odd one. Obviously spent bucket loads of cash making it, and all the side plots and ensemble characters are interesting, but James Norton and his girlfriend may as well be made out of cardboard. It's genuinely baffling to me how boring and empty they are.

It’s fairly enjoyable, and prettily shot, but yeah - the main character is sooooo dull that it’s shocking.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

The Perfect Element posted:

HOWEVER: he is very handsome.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, I watched some of the Christmas episode because it was on, and my main opinion of it was that it was incredibly lazy. It was like a school play at times, and not because they couldn't do any better, but because they just couldn't be bothered to. Maybe it had some effort put into it when it started? The "meta" concept is interesting (at one point a character flubbed her lines and they all laughed and then they restarted the scene, all on camera), but it seems more like they use it as an excuse for not being professional.

I saw the Christmas episode last year because my Grandma loves the show, and I didn't want to ruin her enjoyment by making mean comments. Yeah, it's an interesting idea because things can and do go wrong, which could be quite charming. But the episode I saw really did verge on amateur and had terrible acting. I think most of the laughs came from Mrs Brown winking or giving knowing looks to the audience. It's very 70s.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sometimes you just want to see a swearing granny I guess. What I always liked about it in the episodes I saw was when the cast started corpsing at stuff. That sort of thing always gets me though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It amuses me that Anjelica Houston has played the same character too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

McDragon posted:

Sometimes you just want to see a swearing granny I guess. What I always liked about it in the episodes I saw was when the cast started corpsing at stuff. That sort of thing always gets me though.

I like the idea of a part-improvised sitcom with a supporting cast who don't know what's coming next, but MBB ruins it with an incredibly lazy and unoriginal script.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Julio Cruz posted:

I like the idea of a part-improvised sitcom with a supporting cast who don't know what's coming next, but MBB ruins it with an incredibly lazy and unoriginal script.

You seen Murder in Successville?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

You seen Murder in Successville?

Anyone who hasn't seen it definitely should. It's hilarious (some guests are better than others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I never really watched Death in Paradise before the latest series but its really nice to see Ardal O'Hanlon in a light comedy role again.