Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Monet was not an admiral and it is wholly believable that they have much better control over their powers to make a killing blow something you have to work your rear end off to land. That Zoro can effortlessly manage it with Monet is mostly a matter of Zoro being a complete monster and Monet being entirely out of her depth.

Anyway half the point of Marineford is that Haki makes fighting Logia possible - it's not an "I Win" button. Akainu was annoyed because poo poo still hurts even if the hits can be recovered from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
maybe if your haki is strong enough but not too strong you leave cuts on logias

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
or they're really annoyed that they have to change their body to have holes in it to dodge haki attacks, idk

punchmagic

who cares

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the answer is that Akainu and Aokiji are badass

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i figured aokiji actually took a permanent injury and had to rebuild part of his body with ice? and now his ear and shoulder are just ice? didnt this happen?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

i figured aokiji actually took a permanent injury and had to rebuild part of his body with ice? and now his ear and shoulder are just ice? didnt this happen?
it was from fighting with akainu

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
guys, haki

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yeah it's good, i agree

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The admirals protecting the execution platform against Whitebeard's quake was sick

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Is being 12' tall a requirement to be admiral or does vegapunk genetically modify everyone when they hit admiral so theyre the same height

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i think the WG probably just gives the best fruit powers to the biggest, strongest, most reliable marines and makes them admirals

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Because right now they aren't dealing with it, they're evading it. They've dealt with a few attacks, just about, but when they can no longer run and have to deal with her full force head-on, that's when the real challenge begins. And seeing the challenge laid out beforehand creates tension for the future and shapes the narrative of what they'll do to overcome it long term, including how they'll approach dealing with Kaido. It's not necessarily better than them beating her now, but even in the context of shonen, it isn't unusual or worse, unless Oda fumbles how it plays out, which we won't really know until it's all over.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree so, because knowing that Big Mom is (or at least, could) be stronger now and future encounters would potentially be against a less powerful version of her just seems anti-climactic to me.

Riazer posted:

I was refering to Big Mom's birthday Party where she ate everyone at the orphanage.

Do you honestly believe she was more powerful the time she probably ate an old woman, some kids and a dining set than the time she was flipping fully trained warrior giants around and destroying a village?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

it was from fighting with akainu

oh yeah....punkuu hazardo

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

JahRoo posted:

Is being 12' tall a requirement to be admiral or does vegapunk genetically modify everyone when they hit admiral so theyre the same height

unless you're a good guy your power scales in size usually

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
Isn't Fujitora the size of a "normal" human?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

He's definitely wider and taller than most of the marines serving under him. Whether that means he's the same height as the other admirals or just a big lad is hard to tell unless you can get him in a lineup with characters that have known heights.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
to be an admiral you have to have immensely broad shoulders so the overcoats dont fall off your back

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It’s hosed up that Akainu is the only admiral without a cool sword

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JahRoo posted:

He's definitely wider and taller than most of the marines serving under him. Whether that means he's the same height as the other admirals or just a big lad is hard to tell unless you can get him in a lineup with characters that have known heights.

IIRC, Pirate Warriors has him roughly on par with the other Admirals.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sub Harrison posted:

I agree that this is the most confusing scene in Marineford, even in the manga. The ice harpy from PH thought Zoro killed her with his haki slash, but Akainu is only irritated his head was half cut off. The only explanation I can think of is Vista used mystery haki.

Wasn't the whole point in the Zoro vs Monet scene that she knew he had haki, but he didn't use it, just slashing her with a normal, but terrifyingly powerful, slash, one she could survive, but make it clear that he totally could've killed her (and could probably do so whenever he wanted to)?

Whereas the Akainu thing is just, uh, Akainu is the big bad scary admiral, so he has to survive even haki slashes that'd probably kill any normal logia, to build him up as a further threat? I don't know. It was weird, like you said, and made little sense.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

In one of the intros and a scene with him and Doflamingo, he is definitely as the other admirals.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe it's just a matter of oda changing his mind on how haki works

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ThingOne posted:

Because that's how Oda wrote it. Viz's translator wasn't sure if it was intentional or not so he translated it literally.

so is it Flampe or Flanpe or Flambe

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It's furanpe. Apparently the 'n' makes an 'm' sound if it comes before a 'p' or a 'b' sound, so it would be flampe. Then I think the p is just a typo, because those katakana are very similar, and flambe is a food thing while flampe is a nonsense word.

E: im just googling this poo poo someone who knows what theyre talking about feel free to correct me

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe it's combining flambe and flan.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

oddium posted:

so is it Flampe or Flanpe or Flambe

:shrug: I'm sure it'll be cleared up in the volume release. I'm just going off what the translator said on this week's podcast.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

kaido is going to get totally owned somehow and its going to put the straw hats at the top of everyones list of people to deal with immediately

The unbeatable lady riding the giant sentient sun told Luffy he'll never take down that thing, keep dreamin' pal

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Wasn't the whole point in the Zoro vs Monet scene that she knew he had haki, but he didn't use it, just slashing her with a normal, but terrifyingly powerful, slash, one she could survive, but make it clear that he totally could've killed her (and could probably do so whenever he wanted to)?

Whereas the Akainu thing is just, uh, Akainu is the big bad scary admiral, so he has to survive even haki slashes that'd probably kill any normal logia, to build him up as a further threat? I don't know. It was weird, like you said, and made little sense.

Yah, haki didn't exist at all until the Archipelago arc so I guess it's a minor detail while Oda was hammering out how haki works. Also the more I think about it, everyone in the OP universe shrugs off a mortal injury every day so having your neck half severed is really no big deal. All the characters are just skin bags filled with blood, bones and dreams.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Yah, haki didn't exist at all until the Archipelago arc so I guess it's a minor detail while Oda was hammering out how haki works.

Actually, Blackbeard first mentioned Haki back in Jaya.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haki doesn't straight up nullify Devil Fruit powers, so I never found there to be any discrepancy in its portrayal of hitting Logias.

It just lets you hit them, but it doesn't mean the effect of your hit on their Logia form = the effect of your hit on their human body. I mean, if that's the case, then it would get really wonky when Logias go into forms that aren't humanoid in shape, like Smoker does sometimes.

At least, that's how I took it to be.

Plus, Akainu is also capable of using Haki, so you could just explain it and say he used his own Haki to protect himself. He was one of the strongest dudes during the Marineford War, so it's not really a stretch to say that other people's Haki couldn't overcome his own.

In the case of Monet, Zoro was far more powerful than Monet, and Monet knew that, but she was hedging her bets on Zoro being unwilling to hurt a woman. The bloodlust that Zoro displayed when he cut her in half without Haki proved her wrong. She knew that he would strike her down if he wanted to, and that if he'd used Haki the sheer difference in their strength meant that he would have killed her in that attack.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Crocodile can also probably do it given he survived multiple attacks from Haki users that cut him apart.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm gonna say it again. Akainu and Aokiji were barely hurt by haki attacks because they're just that badass. Don't think so hard on it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Parrotine posted:

The unbeatable lady riding the giant sentient sun told Luffy he'll never take down that thing, keep dreamin' pal

Big Mom is gonna change her mind at the end of the arc. So it will all work out.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

anime was right posted:

or they're really annoyed that they have to change their body to have holes in it to dodge haki attacks, idk

punchmagic

who cares

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm gonna say it again. Akainu and Aokiji were barely hurt by haki attacks because they're just that badass. Don't think so hard on it

Sorry friends, but I'm gonna need something more concrete than "anime, am i right?". Otherwise we'll be no better than the poor schlubs in the DB Super thread. :ohdear:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

She was a logia who had probably been coasting off her natural ability and met Zoro, who basically showed his killing intent but wasn't even taking her seriously which made her panic because he very easily could have killed her in a single blow if he wanted to. It was basically Emperor's Haki like Luffy has where he could just give the death stare to animals and they immediately panic.

Between Luffy and Zoro, I'd be more afraid of Zoro because he's usually the type to just not gently caress around a whole lot if he actually means business, compared to the Goku/Luffy thing of trying to gauge someone's raw power.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

EimiYoshikawa posted:

this one is the correct one.

zoro had no intention of killing monet so he didnt use anything when he cut her but he cut her so cleanly in half with no effort she freaked all the way out.

the attack on akainu was a intent on his life and he's far too used to that to give a gently caress

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hate-Senpai posted:

Haki doesn't straight up nullify Devil Fruit powers, so I never found there to be any discrepancy in its portrayal of hitting Logias.

It just lets you hit them, but it doesn't mean the effect of your hit on their Logia form = the effect of your hit on their human body. I mean, if that's the case, then it would get really wonky when Logias go into forms that aren't humanoid in shape, like Smoker does sometimes.

But we've seen multiple instances when logia users are hit with Haki imbued attacks that they retain the damage the same way they would if they were solid, regular humans. When Diamond Jozu tackled Crocodile, he kept the bloody mouth all the way until the end of the war. When Doflamingo cut up Smoker, his injuries remained exactly where Doflamingo sliced him. Silvers Rayleigh was able to cut Kizaru's face with his sword when he was in light form. In fact, now that I think about it, Akainu's literally the only one that had zero problem fully healing from haki attacks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Consigering how much Akainu hosed up Aokiji while also getting off injury free, I think he has some way to mitigate that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Consigering how much Akainu hosed up Aokiji while also getting off injury free, I think he has some way to mitigate that.

I wouldn't say he got unscathed, he has a big patch of scarred skin on his right side that goes under his suit, we just don't know how much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh yeah, i forgot about that. Though scars and a clipped ear trumps a lost foot