Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

forkboy84 posted:

Whoever said Action Francaise I think is probably on to something.
that was also me, i've been thinking about them lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10 posted:

Ah, a political movement with foresight to rival the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign

I refuse to believe any political movement could be that complacent and incompetent and still be labeled as a movement by definition

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

The Black Hundreds may have been proto-fascist, any takers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hundreds

it would have owned far more to present them exactly how (we think) they were--unusually archaic religious beliefs, pederasty, and all, and made it stare unblinkingly into the reader's eyes. :pwn:

In my dissertation right now I'm approaching the problem of presenting my dudes' way of life to the reader almost like worldbuilding in a sci fi novel, i want to convey that sense of strangeness.

Hey guns sci-fi novel about shooting laser pistols out of quantum windows when?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

There's a Russian pre-internet meme that added "the nuclear reactor has been abstracted away" to schematics of impossible inventions like that one.

It's not impossible. A HERF gun capable of stopping a car engine could be built using currently-available technology and for no more cost than say the F35 program.

It would be completely useless on every strategic, tactical, and military level, but that's a problem for the politicians.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Really stupid question thing :

I know in Europe that longer/two-handed swords were really more of of a thing between
like the 15th to 17th centuries, but what level of outliers are there?

How early do you first find what I'd call a two-handed sword in actual history? Was there some rando who made one in 500 AD? 800? 1200?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm pretty sure I've seen art of a two-hander from the first century AD.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I have to imagine that the moment the first sword was created, somebody looked at it and said "Yeah, but what if you made it bigger? Like, a lot, lot bigger? I need to show off my dick size wealth/power/strength/status."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tomn posted:

I have to imagine that the moment the first sword was created, somebody looked at it and said "Yeah, but what if you made it bigger? Like, a lot, lot bigger? I need to show off my dick size wealth/power/strength/status."

You need steel I think to make a proper twohander. The leverage from the long blade would bend bronze too easily. (Steel bends too, but flexes back).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Monocled Falcon posted:

Hey guns sci-fi novel about shooting laser pistols out of quantum windows when?

Here is an alien world: here are its concepts of honor and dishonor, here are what a reasonable member of this society can be expected to do and want

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah basically my question is when we have evidence of those two coming together.

If anyone wants to shout-out to non-European things that痴 cool too. Pretty sure there are citations in China way earlier but it痴 too late for me to want to read Classical Chinese.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

The Lone Badger posted:

You need steel I think to make a proper twohander. The leverage from the long blade would bend bronze too easily. (Steel bends too, but flexes back).

It still just boggles my mind how steel really came to be. Like, all of human civilization seemed to keep pulling that plunger until that turd flushed and made something beautiful. Is there even anything to indicate why people had an inclination that was something that would work?

I can look back on it and see just how much of a pain in the rear end it was to get tin from basically India and mix it up with whatever copper deposits you could find that weren't necessarily any closer, while iron deposits were much more common. I still can't see how they were able to conclude iron was a way to go for making better weapons. Basic tools and stuff, sure.

I imagine an actual blacksmith could really give a word in here about how it could have gone. My working theory on the whole thing was that a trainee/apprentice/whatever likely produced some very bad tools of a very good material quality, and they probably reasoned it was from beating the poo poo out of the pig iron so much. I am guessing that they also figured out higher temperatures improved quality, so I guess it would be a matter of innovating on higher temperatures.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I seem to recall Britain being famous for tin deposits in Roman times, so you probably wouldn't have to go to India for it.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Gort posted:

I seem to recall Britain being famous for tin deposits in Roman times, so you probably wouldn't have to go to India for it.

The entirety of Cornwall was lead and tin deposits which were mined up until recent history. Same with coal, iron ore and other resources which were conducive to the industrial revolution.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It still just boggles my mind how steel really came to be. Like, all of human civilization seemed to keep pulling that plunger until that turd flushed and made something beautiful. Is there even anything to indicate why people had an inclination that was something that would work?

I can look back on it and see just how much of a pain in the rear end it was to get tin from basically India and mix it up with whatever copper deposits you could find that weren't necessarily any closer, while iron deposits were much more common. I still can't see how they were able to conclude iron was a way to go for making better weapons. Basic tools and stuff, sure.

I imagine an actual blacksmith could really give a word in here about how it could have gone. My working theory on the whole thing was that a trainee/apprentice/whatever likely produced some very bad tools of a very good material quality, and they probably reasoned it was from beating the poo poo out of the pig iron so much. I am guessing that they also figured out higher temperatures improved quality, so I guess it would be a matter of innovating on higher temperatures.

The material properties of alloys are basically totally unpredictable from the formula with anything but modern supercomputers. Ancient metalsmiths had to do a hell of a lot of brute forcing already.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

HEY GUNS posted:

Here is an alien world: here are its concepts of honor and dishonor, here are what a reasonable member of this society can be expected to do and want
The new Klingons should have been decked out in hose and slashed doublets. Handwave it as being camo colored in the Klingon visual range or something. Or just an alien excellent fashion sense.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

also victor hanson can suck my dick

You just don't understand how Sparta shows "the superiority of a free Hellas over a subservient Persian East."

Real Hanson quote, from a review of the movie 300.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Epicurius posted:

You just don't understand how Sparta shows "the superiority of a free Hellas over a subservient Persian East."

Real Hanson quote, from a review of the movie 300.

Absolutely NO gay poo poo though, that has no place in Western Civilization

And liberalism isn't that great either, the Spartans had that right

Speaking of rights I don't think they should be universal

Democracy doesn't seem too great either, really, we just need benevolent military dictators

Art and culture are for pussies as well now that I mention it

But man I loving love Western Civilization!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I still get Victor Davis Hanson and Victor Steiner-Davion mixed up :(

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the spartans were pretty well admired by e.g. thucydides, too, weren't they? a lot of virtue thinkers would see a massively regimented and indoctrinated society and judge it on what it produced, and presumably if it didn't produce some fairly virtuous men it would be considered lacking - even toffs didn't hate freedom in and of itself, they were worried about liberty turning into licence

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did Sparta write its own history? To what extent could our memory of them be influenced by fetishism of them by other greeks?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GotLag posted:

I still get Victor Davis Hanson and Victor Steiner-Davion mixed up :(

You and me both
:goonsay:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Fangz posted:

Did Sparta write its own history? To what extent could our memory of them be influenced by fetishism of them by other greeks?

We don't have any surviving Spartan histories. The closest we have is Xenophon, who included a copy of Sparta's constitution in his works.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
See, the thing that bothers me about Hanson arent so much his modern political views or the stuff he writes for National Review. I think most of them are poo poo, but so many people out there have shorty ideas that what's one more? My problem with Hanson is that he makes all these leaps and assumptions regarding history.

Hanson's problem is that, in his early career, he had one authentic breakthrough...that you couldn't look at ancient Greek military culture without looking at agriculture in ancient Greece, but then spent his entire professional career trying to find something to top that.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Fangz posted:

the spartans weren't big on the whole "writing" thing, at least during the classical era

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
VDH wrote a pretty interesting book that profiles Epaminondas, Sherman, and Patton and how their unique approach (for the time) helped decide the conflicts they were a part of. I think that was in the late 90s and I think 9/11 broke his brain because since then he pretty much only writes about how The West (AKA: straight white men) is so great and everyone else is bad compared to the straight whit - I mean, Western Civilization.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

forkboy84 posted:

They tended to prefer an actual workers democracy, somewhat similar to the demands of the Kronstadt rebels when they rose up in 1921 (I think, apologies as I've gone out and don't have my books at hand just now).

Yeah, they basically wanted everything Lenin and Trotskij did not. The Petropavlovsk resolution( their demands) included immediate re-election for all Soviets, with vote by secret ballots and freedom to campaign - as well as freedom of press and assembly, freedom for political prisoners, abolition of party elite troops and a lot of other stuff that would have made a lovely dictatorship hard to accomplish.

Thanks! I can't seem to find the molten lead breaching kettle anywhere though :(

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 16, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

They didn't--writing's for people who don't spear one another on the reg. It all is, it's a theme park, real life in Sparta was probably somewhat less Spartan

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

V. Illych L. posted:

even toffs didn't hate freedom in and of itself, they were worried about liberty turning into licence
and history has clearly borne that worry out

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

more greeks fought for the persians than against them

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

more greeks fought for the persians than against them

They clearly didn't understand the superiority of a free Hellas over a subservient Persian East, which can be summed up by a battle where the clearly superior army of free Hellenes, who came to prominence by conquering and enslaving their neighbors, was slaughtered to the last man by the forces of the subservient east, led by a man who was chosen to rule by the nobility over his brothers, and who was the son of a man who became king by lot after leading a revolt against an arbitrary king who tried to take away their ancient rights.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 16, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

They clearly didn't understand the superiority of a free Hellas over a subservient Persian East, which can be summed up by a battle where the clearly superior army of free Hellenes, who came to prominence by conquering and enslaving their neighbors, was slaughtered to the last man by the forces of the subservient east, led by a man who was chosen to rule by the nobility over his brothers, and who was the son of a man who became king by lot after leading a revolt against ab arbitrary king who tried to take away their ancient rights.
i think we know what was really important, which is that both sides had FABULOUS beards and hair

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tias posted:

Yeah, they basically wanted everything Lenin and Trotskij did not. The Petropavlovsk resolution( their demands) included immediate re-election for all Soviets, with vote by secret ballots and freedom to campaign - as well as freedom of press and assembly, freedom for political prisoners, abolition of party elite troops and a lot of other stuff that would have made a lovely dictatorship hard to accomplish.

Thanks! I can't seem to find the molten lead breaching kettle anywhere though :(
That's because it was iron/steel, not lead. I suppose this sort of thing proves the universality of certain concepts; the USSR had 12-year-old men designing tanks, same as the West.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

i think we know what was really important, which is that both sides had FABULOUS beards and hair

That's something we can all agree on.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bathleths should be pikes

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i mean, their terrestrial equivalents spend all their own pay on uniforms, if you know anything about how visual display worked in the early modern armed forces this makes perfect sense. armies don't only do things for utilitarian reasons but also for cultural reasons and here's a huge example

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Related to that, why did armies wear white uniforms during the musket days (or others; musket Times is all I知 familiar with)?

My instinct is that the idea was to reflect a pristine and professional appearance with a crisp white uniform, but surely that image had to fall apart as soon as you wore it outdoors once, much less fought in a battle with it or wore it on campaign for months at a time. That flaw must have been apparent to them at the time too though, so maybe I知 wrong about the reasoning.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Related to that, why did armies wear white uniforms during the musket days (or others; musket Times is all I知 familiar with)?

My instinct is that the idea was to reflect a pristine and professional appearance with a crisp white uniform, but surely that image had to fall apart as soon as you wore it outdoors once, much less fought in a battle with it or wore it on campaign for months at a time. That flaw must have been apparent to them at the time too though, so maybe I知 wrong about the reasoning.

Looks nice on parade in peacetime?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

undyed fabric is cheap. nothing's "crisp" because wool doesn't really do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The answer to 'Why did army wear x colour' is almost certainly 'it was the cheapest dye they could get at the time'.