Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thirded on the PWR+ adapter. The NES also doesn't care whether it's receiving DC or AC, so it's safer to use a DC one. I've heard a lot of horror stories about someone grabbing an AC NES adapter and plugging it into a Genesis/Sega CD and frying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
NYC TRIP REPORT:

First off, thanks to everyone for the BVG suggestion. Met up with Bob from RetroRGB and went down there with him for a while and checked out their MVC cabinet with a modded consumer tube installed in it (looks near perfect). That store is amazing and has some drat good stuff for such a small space. I'm definitely coming back with more money and luggage space when I'm back in NYC this May.

After that we went by iFixRetro where Jose works and watched some AGDQ with them while Jose worked on fixing the board from an arcade tube.

Related video of Jose modding consumer TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbi9HEz-cww

Bob is the nicest guy and a neverending fountain of enthusiasm. Can't wait to go back and see his setup where he shoots the videos, we ran out of time due to some subway congestion issues and my tight work schedule while I was in town.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Hey, I have one of these. The teal Japanese version, anyway. I wonder if I should get it fixed or try the dead battery repair myself one of these days.

I don't have anything to hook it up to at the moment to test it out, my homemade supergun died on me and I never got around to finishing the replacement. I'd just sell it off, but I hate to sell it untested.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Help! At some point during a move I lost the AC adapter for my old NES. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to buy to replace it? The results on Amazon look really sketchy, half the reviews say the sellers are lying about the actual voltage or something.

This is not helpful but I can confirm that a US Robotics 56k external modem power adapter will happily power your NES for decades.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since My Life in Gaming never posted it yet, is there a good calibration guide for a PVM?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is not helpful but I can confirm that a US Robotics 56k external modem power adapter will happily power your NES for decades.

This would probably actually be usable information to like 80% of the active posters here.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

NYC TRIP REPORT:

First off, thanks to everyone for the BVG suggestion. Met up with Bob from RetroRGB and went down there with him for a while and checked out their MVC cabinet with a modded consumer tube installed in it (looks near perfect). That store is amazing and has some drat good stuff for such a small space. I'm definitely coming back with more money and luggage space when I'm back in NYC this May.

After that we went by iFixRetro where Jose works and watched some AGDQ with them while Jose worked on fixing the board from an arcade tube.

Bob is the nicest guy and a neverending fountain of enthusiasm. Can't wait to go back and see his setup where he shoots the videos, we ran out of time due to some subway congestion issues and my tight work schedule while I was in town.

man I wish I knew about any of this when I was living in NYC, seriously felt like I was the only person in that town who cared about this stuff. now that I'm in south florida though I know I'm on my own lol. this place is a wasteland

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah the dudes at ifixretro were serious about that stuff.

We don't have anything like that in Texas that I'm aware of. There's some repair shops, but they aren't also hosting gaming nights with streaming equipment as well.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I should actually revise that, I knew NYC has a big fighting game community with some semiprivate arcades and stuff, but the thing is it seemed like only fighting games to the exclusion of all else, and I like fighters but in a very casual way and am a lot more "serious" about other stuff like shooters or just general late 80's-90's arcade games and that's the stuff that NYC just didn't seem to care about. we tried to have a meet on shmups.com and it was me and two other guys from long island or somewhere else far away and we went to barcade and played their crappy beat up cabs and it was just kinda "eh".

I know a lot of people on the west coast and what they're doing over there regarding the arcade scene is pretty amazing, but I think it's a strange circumstance where you have a lot of really technical people all in a smallish area and can't really happen in other places. at some point I'm going to try to get hired away to some company out there just to be part of that, after putting in some time at my current job which I just started at (other jobs I've had would have no relevance, but I finally landed something good locally)

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

NYC TRIP REPORT:

Great pics! Really glad you liked it. I need to get to over to iFixRetro one of these days and see an RGB consumer TV with my own eyes. I have a KV27FS that I’d love to get modded.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Super late to shmup chat, but I can confirm Otomedius is a pretty dull game under the anime titties, even for casual noob players like me. Plus the graphics of the game looked very bland to me: I shouldn't be noticing how repetitive and samey the enemies are, nor should I have trouble remembering what the level backgrounds were (there's the ocean, the city, a waterfall/jungle and space but beyond that ...??) Get any other Gradius over it, even SNES Gradius 3. Or just get any other shooter in general.

And if you liked Parodius, you could always give Space Invaders '95 a try off Taito Legends 2, though that's a different kind of shooting.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The bonus music to Otomedius is nice. I've never had the desire to play the game because I don't have an Xbox and I don't want to be put on an FBI watch list.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my biggest regret in life will always be buying a turbografx 16 in the early 00's when the console and games were all dirt cheap (literally 50 bucks i paid for a cib system on ebay), but never getting most of the excellent shmups which are now in fuckoff expensive territory that rivals or even surpasses the snes

at least i got blazing lasers and the outstandingly excellent r-type port, and galaga '90 which is a really nice version of galaga.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cornflakes posted:

Great pics! Really glad you liked it. I need to get to over to iFixRetro one of these days and see an RGB consumer TV with my own eyes. I have a KV27FS that I’d love to get modded.

Those guys are so chill, it's great. Swing by BVG if you want to see the difference between a consumer tube that's RGB modded and an original arcade tube. One of their MVS cabs has the original tube and the other has the consumer Toshiba, I think, that Jose modded.

They were talking about figuring out how to get people to just pull the board off the back of the tube and send that in so the whole TV doesn't have to be moved back and forth. That's always the big issue with this stuff, as I'm sure you'd imagine.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

TVs Ian posted:

Hey, I have one of these. The teal Japanese version, anyway. I wonder if I should get it fixed or try the dead battery repair myself one of these days.

I don't have anything to hook it up to at the moment to test it out, my homemade supergun died on me and I never got around to finishing the replacement. I'd just sell it off, but I hate to sell it untested.

I'd buy the dead board from you if you decide you want to offload it. I need a board to install Darksoft's multi-kit on, but all of my CPS2 boards are alive and non-phoenix'd so I wouldn't feel right installing it on one of them.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

financially racist posted:

my biggest regret in life will always be buying a turbografx 16 in the early 00's when the console and games were all dirt cheap (literally 50 bucks i paid for a cib system on ebay), but never getting most of the excellent shmups which are now in fuckoff expensive territory that rivals or even surpasses the snes

at least i got blazing lasers and the outstandingly excellent r-type port, and galaga '90 which is a really nice version of galaga.

The only everdrive I own is a Turbo Everdrive, and boy was that a good as gently caress purchase.

If it had the ability to somehow run PCE-CD ISOs without the real hardware, it would be mankind's greatest invention, but alas.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Code Jockey posted:

The only everdrive I own is a Turbo Everdrive, and boy was that a good as gently caress purchase.

If it had the ability to somehow run PCE-CD ISOs without the real hardware, it would be mankind's greatest invention, but alas.

https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

oh my god

and it looks like it works with the TG16, just without the case

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zand posted:

rtypes just a different kind of perverse

God is it. The only shooter I can think of that had straight fuckin' in it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just get a turbo everdrive and you can play all that stuff and more. If you have the CD attachment, you can burn all the CD games for free with no mod

e: beaten

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Turbinosamente posted:

Super late to shmup chat, but I can confirm Otomedius is a pretty dull game under the anime titties, even for casual noob players like me. Plus the graphics of the game looked very bland to me: I shouldn't be noticing how repetitive and samey the enemies are, nor should I have trouble remembering what the level backgrounds were (there's the ocean, the city, a waterfall/jungle and space but beyond that ...??) Get any other Gradius over it, even SNES Gradius 3. Or just get any other shooter in general.

This discussion makes me wish Radiant Silvergun were ported beyond the Saturn and 360. No creepy anime stuff there! Just good ol' obnoxious wacky '90s anime nonsense, followed by a bafflingly ambitious time-travel story.

drat, now I'm also sad that ESP Ra.De. was never ported to ANYTHING. That game strikes an amazing balance between early bullet-hell games and cohesive mid-90s design, and it's still my favorite Cave shooter.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Does anyone here know if the retro-bit SNES carts they produce are of good quality? I'm interested in that R-Type set because the cart has R-Type III on there, but not sure if I should just get a flash cart instead and be done with it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're probably alright quality but the flashcart's probably the better option in the long run for not a lot more money.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

just get the super famicom version of r-type 3, it's exactly the same except the stage 2 boss shoots sperm instead of eyeballs and it's shitloads cheaper than the snes version.

fun fact: r-type 3 is the reason i got a super famicom. worth it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Due to every page having comments that "<x platform>'s games are too expensive" and "how are the quality of repro carts?", might be worth highlighting somewhere in the thread title or OP that hey, there are these cool things called flash carts and you should buy one.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

END ME SCOOB posted:

God is it. The only shooter I can think of that had straight fuckin' in it.

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius has penguins loving.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Unless exchange rate fuckery has jacked up the prices, it's often cheaper to buy Super Famicom versions of games that aren't very text heavy (shmups, platformers, fighting games) than to buy the equivalent US version.

That's what I did for Super Mario Kart and MK64. With Mario Kart, it's pretty easy to figure out what things are based on context, and MK64 still has a shitload of English text in it for the Japanese release.

EDIT: Also the text heavy RPGs like Chrono Trigger are even cheaper, but that requires knowing Japanese or owning a retron 5 that can do on-the-fly translation patching of cartridges, and at that point, why not just play a translated rom.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

or just take japanese like i'm doing and buy earthbound for 30 bucks

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Discount Viscount posted:

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius has penguins loving.

I stand corrected.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Instant Sunrise posted:

Unless exchange rate fuckery has jacked up the prices, it's often cheaper to buy Super Famicom versions of games that aren't very text heavy (shmups, platformers, fighting games) than to buy the equivalent US version.

That's what I did for Super Mario Kart and MK64. With Mario Kart, it's pretty easy to figure out what things are based on context, and MK64 still has a shitload of English text in it for the Japanese release.

EDIT: Also the text heavy RPGs like Chrono Trigger are even cheaper, but that requires knowing Japanese or owning a retron 5 that can do on-the-fly translation patching of cartridges, and at that point, why not just play a translated rom.

Another advantage to SFC JRPGs is the incredibly nice box art

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Instant Sunrise posted:

Are there any SFC games that aren't cheaper than their SNES equivalents?

I would imagine that only ones that never got released outside Japan would be super expensive, but I could be wrong. (Also maybe Kirby's Dream Land 3 if supply was even lower in Japan than it was in America?)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would imagine that only ones that never got released outside Japan would be super expensive, but I could be wrong. (Also maybe Kirby's Dream Land 3 if supply was even lower in Japan than it was in America?)

IIRC Super Metroid is pretty much a wash since the SFC and SNES versions are literally identical.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

pocky and rocky is roughly the same (absurd) price for either version, which sucks cause that game kicks rear end

also kirby's dream land 3 is dirt cheap for a japanese cart.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Kirby's Dreamland 3 is definitely cheaper in Japanese (that's how I got my copy) plus it has a cool shiny glitter label.

I recall SFC sports titles being more expensive than their SNES counterparts.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since my PS2 Slim that I was using for playing backup PS1 games is toasted (laser died), should I wait for the PSIO or just get a PSP GO as they suppose to be really good for playing PS1 games on a tv. The later at least means I don't have to wait a long time to play games on and also don't have to sent off my PS1 to get modded to use the PSIO.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pocky and rocky is roughly the same (absurd) price for either version, which sucks cause that game kicks rear end
Holy poo poo I haven't thought about that game in over a decade, my buddy had that game back in middle school and it ruled and then he changed schools and I never saw him again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rirse posted:

Since my PS2 Slim that I was using for playing backup PS1 games is toasted (laser died), should I wait for the PSIO or just get a PSP GO as they suppose to be really good for playing PS1 games on a tv. The later at least means I don't have to wait a long time to play games on and also don't have to sent off my PS1 to get modded to use the PSIO.

Ps1s are so cheap now. A mod chip is like $5 and is easy enough to be a first soldering project. You can get a PS1 for $15, a soldering iron for $15, a mod chip for $5, and some solder and flux for $3. If you gently caress up while soldering you're out only $15, but you probably won't because it's dead easy. It's so much cheaper and immediate than sending it out, plus when it works it makes you feel like a badass.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Just played through Super Mario Kart last weekend and I forgot how brutally punishing the AI is in that game. Beating special on 150cc is hard when Mario and Luigi can go invincible at will.

Anyone know a good source for decent SNES controllers? I’m ok with aftermarket. I’ve heard getting Super Famicom controllers off ebay is usually affordable and a solid bet, any experience with this?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cornflakes posted:

Just played through Super Mario Kart last weekend and I forgot how brutally punishing the AI is in that game. Beating special on 150cc is hard when Mario and Luigi can go invincible at will.
Yeah, I usually don't even bother with 150cc in Super Mario Kart despite playing every other Mario Kart on that difficulty and rarely touching 50cc/100cc in those games. The AI drivers in SMK are such cheating pricks that it's just not worth the frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't thought about that game in over a decade, my buddy had that game back in middle school and it ruled and then he changed schools and I never saw him again.

It's a real fun game to play co-op although ridiculously difficult (somehow I feel like you could use this exact wording to quite a few NES/SNES era games)