Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mycomancy posted:

You know that, I know that, we as a whole know that. But some C-tard executive will look at that list and, without a blink of an eye, decide that viewers really like are the Borg and long-form stories. They will then make Star Trek: Borgs, which is just a pair of swearing cybernetic tits roaming the Zeta Quadrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Applewhite posted:

I'm still holding out hope that they jumped from a third, crappy, edgy universe into the mirror universe and will jump out into the "prime" universe where all the sets are in technicolor.

That would be fantastic! And then they get unceremoniously dumped back to grimdark universe when the Disco Prime figures out how to switch back to the good universe.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
DS9 7x23 - I'm glad O'Brien and Bashir admitted their feelings for one another :3:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BSG: The Woman King.

Holy poo poo, an entire planet of retard anti-vaxxers.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
New DISCO Thoughts:
More like Michelle Whoa!
Klingons sound like poo poo even without prosthetic teeth.
Voq on Voq action.
Recycled Klingon titties.
We finally arrive at the Citadel of Stamets.
Lorca, y'all.
Starfleet's Worst Couple have now both been spaced as part of their characher arcs.
English is the official language of the MU. Thanks Trump!
DISCO needs to change to LEDs in the hallways. Like a lovely subway station at the beginning.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 15, 2018

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CBS used to think they could sell merch of this maudlin shitheap. Lol.

I love how they pace every 'big' reveal like a soap opera and spend so much time dunking Mike Burn in that slow-cam drama that it all falls apart a soggy cookie in warm tea.

I bet mirror T'Kuvma is a speech therapist.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love that he sounds like that without the makeup

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ahahaha their little party in ep 7 is fully trek level lame I love it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

BSG: The Woman King.

Holy poo poo, an entire planet of retard anti-vaxxers.

Also the planet of religious fundamentalists, so it fits.

I just got to Exodus in my rewatch. Maybe it’s because I knew it was coming, or maybe it’s because I didn’t have to wait literal weeks for it to happen this time, but The Adama Maneuver didn’t have the same “Hell yeah!” punch the second time around. Still a great episode, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Automatic Slim posted:

The whole Kes age inappropriateness thing is over rated.
No, it's really not. S1 (and mayyyybe S2) Neelix is a super possessive creep. Even though He's supposed to come off as trying to protect Kes from Paris's lothario Rykerism, it reads more like he doesn't want to get usurped from his rightful prize.

Then they double-down with the reverse time-travel episode where Ensign motherfucking Kim is hooking up with Kes and Paris's Daughter (in a really Twilight worthy bit of writing, because he would have been present for that girl's birth and childhood), and they have their own child together .

It's all kind of put to rest when Kes gets mindjacked and realizes that her relationship with Neelix was too one-sided and he kept her from really experiencing things / becoming an individual.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

FilthyImp posted:

Neelix is a super possessive creep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSbTQEQ_-vI

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Fly dance moves and cool hobbit feet does not excuse a character whose main plot concern is "will this guy gently caress my child bride".

Am I wrong, or do Kim and Neelix not get awesome Bad History versions of Evil Voyager Crew in that one Doctor episode???
Or was Neelix one of their forced Borgtroopers?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

scorpius ftw

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smythe posted:

scorpius ftw

I really appreciate the season four arc of John seemingly taking drugs to get over Aeryn, until she pushes him into revealing the true reason; keeping his feelings for her from Scorpius while he's onboard Moya. It's not paranoia when you're right....

"Pilot, is there a problem with the comms?"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Then they double-down with the reverse time-travel episode where Ensign motherfucking Kim is hooking up with Kes and Paris's Daughter (in a really Twilight worthy bit of writing, because he would have been present for that girl's birth and childhood), and they have their own child together .

You have a point there. Dating your friend's daughter 24 months after seeing her born does have a skeeviness to it. Couching it behind 24th century advanced human tolerance or being stuck with Voyager's limited dating pool doesn't make a convincing argument for it.

I was annoyed by Neelix's possessiveness but there were so many unlikeable things about his character that I never locked onto it. I'll take your word for it, Voyager isn't worth investing another hour of time.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The newest STD Episode was the Peak of Stupidity.

Of course, everything is like we probably expected.

At least Michelle Yeoh is back.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Burnham risks her mission, her cover, and her life to find the baby easy answer that shared foes and adversity can bring otherwise rival-y factions together. Then repeatedly questions it with Race Realism about Klingon culture from another divergent reality.

Also LOL that no one present thought to use the Vulcan mind meld they JUST showed us on Voq-Tyler when he had his freak out, because they needed him to do the final reveal when he was alone with Bo Burnham for Plot Reasons.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In Star Treks 11, 12, and 13 the Beastie Boys discography definitely exists in the timeline of Star Trek. But in that universe what line follows up "Your knees’ll start shaking and your fingers pop" in Intergalactic? Obviously Star Trek couldn't exist as a work of fiction, so there would be no way Mike D could be aware of Spock's maneuver.

UNLESS the Beastie Boys were in San Francisco during the events of Star Trek IV and ran into him? Maybe they were on the same bus as the Obnoxious Punk Boom Box guy??

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Of course, everything is like we probably expected.

At least Michelle Yeoh is back.

It rules

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

In Star Treks 11, 12, and 13 the Beastie Boys discography definitely exists in the timeline of Star Trek. But in that universe what line follows up "Your knees’ll start shaking and your fingers pop" in Intergalactic? Obviously Star Trek couldn't exist as a work of fiction, so there would be no way Mike D could be aware of Spock's maneuver.
Doctor Spock. JJverse takes its child rearing seriously and Spock was against corporal punishment. No pinches on the neck to correct behavior.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I raise my kids Ro Laren style. Abandon them in a warzone, leaving them fighting for blankets and food. Then, 25 years later you send 'em back to their childhood for a weekend to hang out with a bartender and hope that takes the edge off the worst of their personality traits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shadow puppet of a posted:

I raise my kids Ro Laren style. Abandon them in a warzone, leaving them fighting for blankets and food. Then, 25 years later you send 'em back to their childhood for a weekend to hang out with a bartender and hope that takes the edge off the worst of their personality traits.

I'm afraid your kids are destined to throw their lives away on a deeply embarrassing terrorist movement.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe if Picard had shown compassion instead of came at her with threats, pushing her over the edge.

When the same thing was happening with Kira and she was about to give up the uniform to squat on some moon, Sisko was firm but said "You're one of us. I like you. I need you." Snapped her out of it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

TNG was trying to incorporate some of DS9's edginess. Roddenberry had died a couple of years before and producers were starting to experiment. Michelle Forbes was contracted for a few episodes and a loose plot point. Nana Visitor was a regular cast member so there you go.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Michelle Forbes was supposed to play Kiera but she Tasha Yar'd that poo poo up.

For the best really cause Nana Visitor owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, I'm convinced that post-algae planet BSG has just run out of ideas for a continuing plot. Let's just kill off Starbuck this episode! And in this one Tyrol is a union worker! Now Helo is trying to help anti vaxxers! Let's drag out Baltar's trial for six goddamn episodes!

I did love how they tried to show that Baltar was originally from hick planet but they clearly couldn't convince the actor to say the lines so any time he switched his accent they did an extreme close up so you can't tell they swapped out him for another actor.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Season 6 of Voyager...almost there...stay strong...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, I'm convinced that post-algae planet BSG has just run out of ideas for a continuing plot. Let's just kill off Starbuck this episode! And in this one Tyrol is a union worker! Now Helo is trying to help anti vaxxers! Let's drag out Baltar's trial for six goddamn episodes!

I did love how they tried to show that Baltar was originally from hick planet but they clearly couldn't convince the actor to say the lines so any time he switched his accent they did an extreme close up so you can't tell they swapped out him for another actor.

lmao are you serious, that's hilarious I somehow didn't even notice that on first watch (and then never rewatched)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

Season 6 of Voyager...almost there...stay strong...

You can do it. I did it, so I am sure you can too.

I just need to watch the other two JJ treks, and Nemesis.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I actually like the first JJ trek. The other two...uhg.

And Nemesis? Oh boy. At least it's got a sweet dune buggy which is ostensibly meant for hooning around because anti-grav technology and transporters are commonplace.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

star trek beyond was the only good jj trek

no one should ever speak of into darkness tho

revolther
May 27, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

I actually like the first JJ trek. The other two...uhg.

And Nemesis? Oh boy. At least it's got a sweet dune buggy which is ostensibly meant for hooning around because anti-grav technology and transporters are commonplace.
The best part of the JJ movies is the leaps beyond belief writers take to get a working motorcycle on to this alien planet; purely to show off the one additional skill Chris Pine lists on his resume. In each consecutive movie. It's like the studio is paying him in custom motorcycles they write off as props.

edit: that space station was pretty dope with it's subjective gravity based on whatever the set designers wanted.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Using the NX ship was loving sweet

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like beyond the most and into darkness was watch able on the first try but rewatches have been impossible

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've been getting the feeling lately that Star Trek has passed the Simpsons Threshold of quality so that there's more crappy new material than classic old stuff, but I don't have the heart to do the math to find out

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Disco ain't dead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Burnham as a Culturally Vulcan Human is okay, but I still get mad that they had to gild the lilly and literally make her Spock's never-before-acknowledged stepsister. There can be more than four Vulcans in the galaxy, writer guys.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

I've been getting the feeling lately that Star Trek has passed the Simpsons Threshold of quality so that there's more crappy new material than classic old stuff, but I don't have the heart to do the math to find out

the thing about trek is that a ton of it was always bad and a lot of it only seemed good bc of the optimism and soothing hum

like we probably passed that point in S3 of TOS

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Burnham as a Culturally Vulcan Human is okay, but I still get mad that they had to gild the lilly and literally make her Spock's never-before-acknowledged stepsister. There can be more than four Vulcans in the galaxy, writer guys.

Yeah, especially given that he's had a shameful mystery sibling once already. Well, maybe ALL WILL BE REVEALED or maybe not considering Discovery is definitely confirmed afaik to be prime timeline, given the technobabble hull signature matched that in the records regarding the defiant which I guess isn't ACTUALLY confirmed prime timeline bc we only saw it vanish in prime and reappear in mirror, could be from a third timeline I guess. while I was looking up the history of the Defiant I noticed that: Also lol at one point Spock says outright that there has never been a mutiny on a Starfleet vessel. Covering for something there Spock?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I had a Tantalus Field. Most of this thread would disappear.