Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Berzerker posted:

where's mbmbam?

also, if you like mbmbam you'd probably like SPY imho.

I like both shows, but they're very different, and liking one won't necessarily mean you like the other. SPY sometimes has literally no jumping off points, and can just be boring people talking about boring stuff until Overheards, and it's only saved if you enjoy Dave & Graham's (and probable guest's) delivery. It can be a tough show to get into.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I've tried, never been able to make it longer than five minutes

If you're going to give it a try again, find one with a guest you know. He hasn't been on in years, I think, but I started with one with PFT as a guest and was immediately sold. If you've already done this, then I am sorry the show is not for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Well I think they're both pretty good shows of people goofing off

Anyway where's mbmbam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Griffin still sounded pretty beefed in the TAZ money zone, so I'm guessing they're still not up for recording.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

The Berzerker posted:

Well I think they're both pretty good shows of people goofing off

Anyway where's mbmbam

Distract yourself from the lack of mbmbam by listening to the latest Sawbones about people drinking what the gently caress unfiltered water are you goddamn kidding me, you new age health nerds?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Waffleman_ posted:

Griffin still sounded pretty beefed in the TAZ money zone, so I'm guessing they're still not up for recording.

They will never released cursed Atlanta episode. From the way they mentioned it once as "getting out of hand" I think they really didn't like it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want to know though.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They will never released cursed Atlanta episode. From the way they mentioned it once as "getting out of hand" I think they really didn't like it.

I also don't think they'll ever release Milwaukee from their latest tour. Griffin was on painkillers for his back from the Minneapolis incident, Justin was hella sick, and none of them really got into the groove of the show. And only one audience question was worth listening to.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Also not really a lot of ani in that animatic. It's just the same drawings of them but with different faces and sometimes zoomed in.

I swear every third recommended video on my youtube is one of these or some lame kinetic typography thing, there are so many. Maybe MBMBaM really appeals to freshman animation majors, that would track.

edit: I checked and it's literally 3 of my top 10 recommended videos right now

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a Christmas miracle

https://twitter.com/MBMBaM/status/953325232500158464?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Sick / exhausted / incoherent episodes are the best :keke:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Hello my friends I have been making my way through The Adventure Zone and I'm in the middle of the big carwagon race in Petals to the Metal and help me, Justin is already the best boy and he just summoned a talking ghost unicorn, how can he be even bester than he already is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Binacorn

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Coughing Hobo posted:

Hello my friends I have been making my way through The Adventure Zone and I'm in the middle of the big carwagon race in Petals to the Metal and help me, Justin is already the best boy and he just summoned a talking ghost unicorn, how can he be even bester than he already is

I envy how many things you have yet to discover

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

SpacePig posted:

Having a reputation for slamming your sponsors probably doesn't look good for potential new sponsors unsure of how the hosts might regard their product.

Hollywood handbook have joked? recently that they are stuck doing earwolf(Their podcast network) ads cause no one wants to buy ads with them anymore.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I also don't think they'll ever release Milwaukee from their latest tour. Griffin was on painkillers for his back from the Minneapolis incident, Justin was hella sick, and none of them really got into the groove of the show. And only one audience question was worth listening to.

Didn't they issue an apology for this one or something? I know a few live shows went bad last year, but for some reason one meriting an apology seems familiar.

Maybe one of these bad shows will be released for April Fool's or something.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I'm assuming they'll all get released in some form sooner or later, even if somewhat abridged like the Chicago shows. They had a lot of live shows in the can and people always complain when there's too many released together, so I'm guessing they're saving them up to be released slowly.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I had a blast at the Milwaukee show fwiw. Audience questions were about as good as any other audience questions.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bronchitis Sudafed Griffin = best Griffin

Also that raw water Sawbones was a helluva thing

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Bronchitis Sudafed Griffin = best Griffin

I legit think he sounds better than ever, vocally.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
This is one of my favorite episodes in a long time no joke

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

ImPureAwesome posted:

Hollywood handbook have joked? recently that they are stuck doing earwolf(Their podcast network) ads cause no one wants to buy ads with them anymore.

Well, they did bring up pedophilia during an ad once, which I don't think went over well. I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually true.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I would guess that, impression-for-dollar, podcast ads on popular shows are more cost-effective than most other forms of paid advertising (for at least some types of products), while still (these days) being out of the reach of small businesses. So any company with any semblance of a real ad budget who bothers to look into podcast ads will wind up totally blanketing the pod-o-sphere with them, because Some Chick With An Etsy Store can no longer afford it and most advertisers still aren't interested/don't want to bother/don't know podcasts exist.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

ImPureAwesome posted:

Weird how advertisers don't like ad reads that consist of "this product is poo poo" repeated for a full 5 minutes. Especially when it's true.

There's only 10 podcast advertisers and half of them are the same service as the other half (Dollar Shave Club/Harry's, Blue Apron/Hello Fresh, etc..) so I can imagine it's pretty easy to blacklist yourself if you're not going to play ball.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

New Butt Order posted:

There's only 10 podcast advertisers and half of them are the same service as the other half (Dollar Shave Club/Harry's, Blue Apron/Hello Fresh, etc..) so I can imagine it's pretty easy to blacklist yourself if you're not going to play ball.

You’ll hear rather different podcast as demographics on a variety of NPR, New York Times, or other such podcasts compared with the usual players on comedy/pop culture podcast networks

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

The last time I listened to Doug Loves Movies he was doing some properly scammy sounding ads for a daily fantasy football league that sounded like an excellent way to lose your house quick. I don't feel like I've heard those ads on any other podcast.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Not Operator posted:

The last time I listened to Doug Loves Movies he was doing some properly scammy sounding ads for a daily fantasy football league that sounded like an excellent way to lose your house quick. I don't feel like I've heard those ads on any other podcast.

Super Best Friendcast had fantasy football ads for a few weeks. Then never again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

New Butt Order posted:

Weird how advertisers don't like ad reads that consist of "this product is poo poo" repeated for a full 5 minutes. Especially when it's true.

isn't the entirety of podcast advertising 90% dominated by one ad bundling service that just sends the people in charge of podcasts lists saying 'pick who you want' and that's why almost everyone has the same ones with the same structure and everything?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

New Butt Order posted:

My favorite so far is on Earwolf where they used to be sponsored by Casper mattresses, and every now and then a guest will make a passing remark trying to jokingly work them into a bit about them being tied, and Scott will have to go "no no, we're with Leesa now."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Remember all those ads for the revolutionary idea of stack soap?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Ojjeorago posted:

Remember all those ads for the revolutionary idea of stack soap?

I mean what the hell are you supposed to do with the stupid sliver

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you read Dear Heloise, you wait until you have several slivers, then you wrap them in nylon net and use them as a sink scrubber. Sounds like work to me.

I started the first real episode of the new arc, and 7 minutes in I am listening to Travis describe the duties of forest rangers. Does it get better? Is there more unplanned interaction?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That's Justin you philistine

Get real or get out

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you read Dear Heloise, you wait until you have several slivers, then you wrap them in nylon net and use them as a sink scrubber. Sounds like work to me.

I started the first real episode of the new arc, and 7 minutes in I am listening to Travis describe the duties of forest rangers. Does it get better? Is there more unplanned interaction?

What do you mean by "better?" The character interactions are pretty good IMO, especially, the stuff with pigeon, but the episode is quite light on goofs since there's no interaction between the PCs. If you don't want to listen to the rest, here's the context you need for the rest of the arc.

Duck Newton met a woman named Pigeon whose friend Pete went missing. She explained that they were attacked by a large creature resembling an extremely large bear, but with "patchwork" fur and a horn coming out of its shoulder. Duck doesn't believe her story, but agrees to investigate. She gives Duck Pete's hunting rifle before leaving.

Aubrey Little was doing her act on a small stage in a hotel lobby. One of her tricks went wrong when she accidentally used real magic and set the building on fire. However, she was able to exert enough control to reign the fire in before the whole place burned down. (This has happened before, although she doesn't quite know what "this" is.) Outside the building she absconded before the authorities arrived with the aid of a large, imposing woman in a leather duster who later identified herself as Momma. The woman pointed a gun at Aubrey and demanded to know what she was doing so far from "The Gate." She then offered to take Aubrey back to Kepler. Aubrey has never been to Kepler, but eager to get away from the approaching police cars, she agreed.

Ned Chicane was in his tourist trap, the Cryptonomica, along with his only employee Kirby when he received a piece of certified mail. An eviction notice. Business had been slow and he needed revenue, fast. Kirby suggested that they add a new Bigfoot section to the store, as that particular cryptid has been hot lately. Ned grabbed his Chewbacca costume and got Kirby to teach him how to take blurry pictures before setting off into the woods.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 17, 2018

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Ariong posted:

What do you mean by "better?" The character interactions are pretty good IMO, especially, the stuff with pigeon, but the episode is quite light on goofs since there's no interaction between the PCs. If you don't want to listen to the rest, here's the context you need for the rest of the arc.

Duck Newton met a woman named Pigeon whose friend Pete went missing. She explained that they were attacked by a large creature resembling an extremely large bear, but with "patchwork" fur and a horn coming out of its shoulder. Duck doesn't believe her story, but agrees to investigate. She gives Duck Pete's hunting rifle before leaving.

Aubrey Little was doing her act on a small stage in a hotel lobby. One of her tricks went wrong when she accidentally used real magic and set the building on fire. However, she was able to exert enough control to reign the fire in before the whole place burned down. (This has happened before, although she doesn't quite know what "this" is.) Outside the building she absconded before the authorities arrived with the aid of a large, imposing woman in a leather duster who later identified herself as Momma. The woman pointed a gun at Aubrey and demanded to know what she was doing so far from "The Gate." She then offered to take Aubrey back to Kepler. Aubrey has never been to Kepler, but eager to get away from the approaching police cars, she agreed.

Ned Chicane was in his tourist trap, the Cryptonomica, along with his only employee Kirby when he received a piece of certified mail. An eviction notice. Business had been slow and he needed revenue, fast. Kirby suggested that they add a new Bigfoot section to the store, as that particular cryptid has been hot lately. Ned grabbed his Chewbacca costume and got Kirby to teach him how to take blurry pictures before setting off into the woods.

I must have missed that bit about Momma and the Gate, thanks for clearing that up. In act three though, I don't think Kirby is an employee. He writes a cryptozoological zine or something and he hangs out at the Cryptonomicon cause it has good internet.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

isn't the entirety of podcast advertising 90% dominated by one ad bundling service that just sends the people in charge of podcasts lists saying 'pick who you want' and that's why almost everyone has the same ones with the same structure and everything?

Wouldn't surprise me. I always assumed that podcast advertisers simply knew their audience of shut-ins with long commutes and unfulfilling jobs that let them overpay for necessities.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 17, 2018

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Griffin is a really really good podcast GM. He knows how to balance letting players do their thing and presenting compelling audio. I'm sure a lot of that can be chalked up to good editing too.

I was pleasantly surprised by Clint's mini arc but this one has hooked me a lot more so far.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Griffin is also good at making music, which helps a great deal.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes it gets better.

At least skip to the last 15 minutes before giving up on it, that's the start of Clints and by far the funniest.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Not Operator posted:

I think that's Draft Kings, and I heard it on half a dozen podcasts around that time, it definitely sounded like a huge scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It wasn't just podcasts. DraftKings and FanDuel ads were everywhere a few years ago, until the governments started calling their legality into question. You were lucky if you could watch an entire commercial break on tv without seeing one of their ads.