Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
Finally got a clean picture of my winter setup. Neuspeed RSe11's 8x8 in bronze with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA4's in 225. Does great in the little snow we've had this year because of course I get new snow tires and still no good snow in northern Utah....IN JANUARY!

mrtrunks84 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

sneakyfrog posted:

welp installed a sub in the fiesta. fits under the trunk floor perfectly and makes plenty of boom. just all the pita of running wires nicely under trim panels and finding a good remote turn on. I used a tap from the sunroof fuse and it works great.

What sub/amp did you wind up with? Which trim level is your Fiesta? Considering this for my Focus as the ST1 stereo is pretty wimpy. Don't want to go boom boom, just want to filll in the gaps.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

angryhampster posted:

What sub/amp did you wind up with? Which trim level is your Fiesta? Considering this for my Focus as the ST1 stereo is pretty wimpy. Don't want to go boom boom, just want to filll in the gaps.

Its the 17 fiesta st fully loaded. A goon (sorry im not sure i remember which brave hero) suggested this one from cerwin vega https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010X439SC I did a line output mounted with double stick tape in the passenger side b-pillar.

I already swapped the factory speakers with some rockford fosgates, just the speakers are way too tiny stock (like 6.5") to push enough air for some of the lower tones. I only have the volume on the sub up about 20% for a bit of butt thud.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did my first oil change on the MK7 yesterday and it was amazingly easy with my schwaben oil extractor. first time i've changed oil and filter without touching pavement :v:

i'm @ 9k miles and the car had finally consumed just a bit over a quart since new and tripped the "oil level low" warning.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

did my first oil change on the MK7 yesterday and it was amazingly easy with my schwaben oil extractor. first time i've changed oil and filter without touching pavement :v:

i'm @ 9k miles and the car had finally consumed just a bit over a quart since new and tripped the "oil level low" warning.

If you don't have an extractor, they made it stupid easy this time around. The pan is composite and the drain plug is one that is like half a turn to seat/lock, instead of a regular bolt. Good VW.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

If you don't have an extractor, they made it stupid easy this time around. The pan is composite and the drain plug is one that is like half a turn to seat/lock, instead of a regular bolt. Good VW.

yeah but you're also supposed to throw out the plug and replace with new every time :laffo:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Very true :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BraveUlysses posted:

Is eating a quart of oil normal in the first 9k miles?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sheeeeeit, my S2000 pushes a quart of oil through the breather in a single trackday. (It won't anymore, but it used to)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Sheeeeeit, my S2000 pushes a quart of oil through the breather in a single trackday.

Yeah but that’s got VTAK

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

I don't believe it's abnormal. It's way better than the previous gen 2.0T's at least. I think mine did about half a quart over the first 10k miles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I believe mine also did about the same in the first 10k. Definitely not an oil-burning car to the point of needing to add between changes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Its all due to how you break it in, so let me post my 25 page write up on how to do it properly, including poorly understood engineering terms and unsubstantiated claims

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Its all due to how you break it in, so let me post my 25 page write up on how to do it properly, including poorly understood engineering terms and unsubstantiated claims

namaste

PaintVagrant posted:

vw's standard for "excessive oil consumption" i like 1qt per 1k

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I believe mine also did about the same in the first 10k. Definitely not an oil-burning car to the point of needing to add between changes.
Same. I've had about 1qt/10k on each of the first two changes in my MK7.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

2k miles on mine and I haven't even looked at the dipstick.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

2k miles on mine and I haven't even looked at the dipstick.

its the greatest feature of owning a new car, not checking a single loving thing ever

and then you get to the 6 month mark and...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Also shocked at 10k intervals on a direct injection turbo car, is that the recommended interval?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

its the greatest feature of owning a new car, not checking a single loving thing ever

and then you get to the 6 month mark and...

Heh. It's nice while it lasts.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

Also shocked at 10k intervals on a direct injection turbo car, is that the recommended interval?

Welcome to the world of automakers offering prepaid maintenance plans. They don't care what happens after the warranty runs out.

My personal rule is half the OEM interval or 5000 miles, whichever is higher. If I put extraordinary stress on a vehicle it gets a change anyways. Pure synthetics only.

Oil is cheap, oil changes are easy (and/or cheap), engines are expensive.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I brought mine in a couple thousand miles early for the 1st oil change and they thought I was weird. Then between that and the second one, I thought about it a lot and figured hell, I'm returning it when the lease is up and gently caress 'em.

But I'd never follow that sort of schedule if I planned on keeping a vehicle, manufacturer's recommendations be damned.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Welcome to the world of automakers offering prepaid maintenance plans. They don't care what happens after the warranty runs out.

My personal rule is half the OEM interval or 5000 miles, whichever is higher. If I put extraordinary stress on a vehicle it gets a change anyways. Pure synthetics only.

Oil is cheap, oil changes are easy (and/or cheap), engines are expensive.

Or, it's 2018, and rules that came around in the mid 1900's due to technological limitations can be adjusted.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BraveUlysses posted:

It really is. My previous car had 156k on it, ran just fine, but I knew it was probably inevitable that something expensive was going to break.

Reading the oil change chat a few posts up had me thinking, drat, I need to get a new oil extractor, and recheck the transmission fluid and... Oh wait, no I don't!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I got a screw in my passenger rear tire right near the edge, so it's probably time to replace them. I "only" have about 18k miles and 2 years of ownership on the tires.

Any recommendations for tires for a 2009 MS3 in 235/45 R17? I'm currently running the Continental Extreme Contact DW. (Not to be confused with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS all-season tires.)

Edit: The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is $169/per and seems to have very positive reviews on Tire Rack. Have any of ya'll run these? Any estimate or guess on how long they would last or if they're any good?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 16, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I got a screw in my passenger rear tire right near the edge, so it's probably time to replace them. I "only" have about 18k miles and 2 years of ownership on the tires.

Any recommendations for tires for a 2009 MS3 in 235/45 R17? I'm currently running the Continental Extreme Contact DW. (Not to be confused with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS all-season tires.)

Edit: The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is $169/per and seems to have very positive reviews on Tire Rack. Have any of ya'll run these? Any estimate or guess on how long they would last or if they're any good?

PSS are very good, but I only put about 5-6k on them then sold the car. Can't comment on the tread life but it's a grippy summer tire so I wouldn't expect more than 20k (this is my guess, read what other folks say and don't take this as gospel) out of them if you drive it spiritedly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

PSS is godly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I brought mine in a couple thousand miles early for the 1st oil change and they thought I was weird. Then between that and the second one, I thought about it a lot and figured hell, I'm returning it when the lease is up and gently caress 'em.

But I'd never follow that sort of schedule if I planned on keeping a vehicle, manufacturer's recommendations be damned.
Oh of course, if it's a lease or otherwise something you don't intend on having beyond the warranty period then gently caress it, manufacturer schedule is fine.

fknlo posted:

Or, it's 2018, and rules that came around in the mid 1900's due to technological limitations can be adjusted.
My BMW has an official interval of ~15,000 miles. It varies because the "change oil" indicator is actually based on the amount of fuel injected but it displays in miles and starts at 15,000 when reset.

That car has a very large oil sump for a small engine (7 quarts for 2.5 liters) and is naturally aspirated with port injection, so it's pretty drat close to a best case scenario for oil longevity in a modern vehicle.

This is what happens if you actually take the official intervals seriously:

Now, I will definitely agree that I'm being very conservative about it, but as I said oil is cheap and engines are not. If I wanted to push it longer I'd get Blackstone or similar to analyze my oil after a change and they can actually tell me how well it's holding up, and from there I could make an educated decision. That's more thought than I care to put in to it to save $50-80 every few thousand miles when I'm burning that much in gas every 500 miles.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Larrymer posted:

PSS are very good, but I only put about 5-6k on them then sold the car. Can't comment on the tread life but it's a grippy summer tire so I wouldn't expect more than 20k (this is my guess, read what other folks say and don't take this as gospel) out of them if you drive it spiritedly.

I was able to get the tire patched, but noted. Maybe i'll try the PSSs when I really need new tires.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't see the value in the Michelins or Pirellis that people pay stupid money for, I'd just buy the Firehawk for $250/set less in this performance category.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't see the value in the Michelins or Pirellis that people pay stupid money for, I'd just buy the Firehawk for $250/set less in this performance category.
Overkill tires are just so fun, when I first put RE-01Rs on my 325i years ago I did laps around a nearby cloverleaf for something like 10 minutes at 2 AM. That car didn't have much power so with those tires you could basically drive it as hard as you wanted and never overdo it as long as it was warm and dry.

I have the Firehawk Indy 500s on my FiST and they're better than the stock RE050s while seemingly wearing pretty nicely, but there are definitely days out on the back roads that I wish I hadn't listened to reason and put the RE-71Rs that I originally planned on it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd likely do the same. Mine were on the car when I bought it so I didn't complain.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wolrah posted:

Overkill tires are just so fun, when I first put RE-01Rs on my 325i years ago I did laps around a nearby cloverleaf for something like 10 minutes at 2 AM. That car didn't have much power so with those tires you could basically drive it as hard as you wanted and never overdo it as long as it was warm and dry.

I have the Firehawk Indy 500s on my FiST and they're better than the stock RE050s while seemingly wearing pretty nicely, but there are definitely days out on the back roads that I wish I hadn't listened to reason and put the RE-71Rs that I originally planned on it.

I am not saying that an EP tire is not worth it, I am saying what people pay for the Michelin / Pirelli ones is insane. I like the RE71R, but it's definitely a purpose built autocross or few lap wonder tire.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
We got our first real accumulating snowfall of the season yesterday - about 5 inches when it finally ended. Roads were terrible but I have to say in 30 years of driving, this GTI is the best car I've ever had in the snow.

Even on the stock all-seasons I wasn't spinning wheels through sloppy intersections like my Civics were prone to do and I didn't have to disable traction control to get up the hill I live on. Very nice difference.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
is there a slightly more comfortable alternative performance tire for the FiST or is it just the two recommended ones?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Performance tires are softer so should be more comfortable than all seasons. Continental have softer sidewalls and may fit what you want.

Wife took her brother in my veloster to learn stick. In one try they effectively glazed my clutch to slip now with only 40k miles. I already have a clutch, flywheel, and lsd to put in but was planning in the spring. Guess early autocross upgrade.

Picking up my 07 350z from my parents storage on thursday...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Christobevii3 posted:

Performance tires are softer so should be more comfortable than all seasons. Continental have softer sidewalls and may fit what you want.

Wife took her brother in my veloster to learn stick. In one try they effectively glazed my clutch to slip now with only 40k miles. I already have a clutch, flywheel, and lsd to put in but was planning in the spring. Guess early autocross upgrade.

Picking up my 07 350z from my parents storage on thursday...

How the actual gently caress? I learned to drive stick on my current car, perpetrating plenty of acts of horrid abuse upon it in that time, and it's still fine.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Im guessing he never got off the clutch? Stock it 198ftlbs, tuned 252ftlbs, but I think the clutch was rated for 330ftlbs? I dont even

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

quote:

Pressure plate was good past 400 ft-lb break torque and 1700 lbs holding... Meaning no need to even upgrade it really unless your building a 400hp beast.. Stock disc is actually well made and will hold around 300-350hp..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Now you're scaring me because a friend tried to drive mine promising he knew stick and then proceeded to clutch dump at 3-4k on every stop and still managed to stall it. After a few minutes of not listening to me tell him not to touch the drat gas pedal I made him stop driving but I definitely smelled clutch.

Didn't notice anything different driving it after that but goddamn.