Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SubG posted:

How long do those last?

I don't know yet. I've had them for around 5 months now, use each around twice a week or so (usually for around 3 hours, not normally the real long cooks), and they haven't shown any signs of leakage or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

twit666 posted:

I'd compete on that playing field all day long.
Cool. There are about a million places selling 11"x100' for around US$20, plus or minus. If you're saying you can do the same for less then by all means do it. About the only caveat I'd add is that something that I drop like US$20 on a couple times a year isn't something where I'm particularly price sensitive---there are places on eBay were I could pay like US$17 instead of US$20 but I'm more likely to just call up the old order and hit buy again than worry about hunting up a better price. Of course if I was a commercial buyer going through this poo poo by the pallet it'd be different, and I don't know if I'm a typical home user.

ulmont posted:

I don't know yet. I've had them for around 5 months now, use each around twice a week or so (usually for around 3 hours, not normally the real long cooks), and they haven't shown any signs of leakage or anything.
And you put them through the dishwasher?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SubG posted:

And you put them through the dishwasher?

Yes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think anyone tries to squeeze air out with their hands, I think everyone without a vacuum sealer uses the water displacement technique. I don't know how that changes your calculations. And yeah, a ton of people SV something and then stash it in the fridge for a week; that's one of the biggest selling points for goon types.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy meat in bulk, vacuum seal it in foodsaver bags, then defrost them in the fridge and sous vide the meat. I just bought a couple knockoff rolls, two rolls of 11" x 50' for $16 and I'll see how they work.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

twit666 posted:

Got my Anova for Christmas and have had some hits and misses. Carrots and asparagus, meh. Ribs, yeah! Scrambled egg, who knew they could taste that rich!

I happen to make plastic for a living and have noticed a great range in composition of bags being used and the cost. Some of the bags are multilayered bags that could be used for packaging fresh meat for extended shelf life. This seems like overkill and a waste of money. It would not be overkill if you are sous videing then refrigerating for extended periods of time. But who does this?

Some people use ziplock bags off the shelf, squeeze the air out with their hands and have a grand old time. Thin bags like that can leak and probably don't hold the vacuum.

My questions are:

What do you want out of a sous vide bag?

Is there a size you want that you can't get?

Is there a size that would be "one size fits all"?

Do you use a vacuum to add shelf life to your food? How long are you thinking you can store something in a bag before it makes you sick when you eat or look at it?

I think people who are buying these bags are paying waaaay too much and could get by with a much cheaper alternative. I'm just the guy to make them.

Thanks in advance goons.

When I make some bags will you stress test them and give me some feed back?

1. I want reliable, safe, cheap, easy, in roughly that order. My main complaint with some bags I bought off Amazon was that they were a bit thinner than other bags I've used and didn't seem to seal as well when liquid was present. I started double sealing them (vac seal, then seal again slightly closer to the edge) after having several leak while cooking. Having a white surface that you can write on and see well is a bonus.

2. I generally find 11" to be fine. I do a lot of steaks and I can use 8" for that, but it's easier to keep 11" rolls around than two different sizes.

3. 11" is probably the best candidate.

4. 95% of the stuff I bad is put in the freezer. I pretty much leave it there for months on end without worry.

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think anyone tries to squeeze air out with their hands, I think everyone without a vacuum sealer uses the water displacement technique. I don't know how that changes your calculations. And yeah, a ton of people SV something and then stash it in the fridge for a week; that's one of the biggest selling points for goon types.

One technique I used before I got a Food Saver was to stick a straw in a ziplock bag and seal bag completely around the straw. Then I'd suck the air out of the bag and quick remove the straw while sealing the bag before much air leaked back in. It worked better than water displacement, but you had to be careful to not get meat juice in the straw or let air flow backward from your mouth into the bag (yuck).

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

nwin posted:

Ugh. I tried the serious eats duck confit (36 hours at 155, refrigerate, and then cook at 450 until heated through and skin is crispy.)

Skin never crisped up and it didn’t taste nearly as good as the traditional method of confit.

I think I’m done with long cooks for soup vide for a while. I’ve done short ribs and they are good, but I had one time where I had to throw them out after 72 hours because it smelled way off. It’s just a pain in the rear end to find out your food isn’t great after using all that time up.

I made this version: https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-duck-leg-confit and it turned out pretty good. Better than the last time I made them the traditional way and it requires WAY less fat. I simply threw in a few table spoons of solid fat in each bag instead of a 5qt dutch oven's worth.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chemmy posted:

I buy meat in bulk, vacuum seal it in foodsaver bags, then defrost them in the fridge and sous vide the meat. I just bought a couple knockoff rolls, two rolls of 11" x 50' for $16 and I'll see how they work.

Same,

I switched to these though because for ~10c-17c each they are easier and quicker to use than rolls (my food sealer with the cutter built in broke so I'm using a cheapo one right now).

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/204637

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/204626

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thoughts on these HACKZZZ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DnNzgHg8g

tl;dw:
1. 2 steaks to different doneness - cook the higher temp first, drop temp, cook lower temp while keeping the more well done warm :effort:
2. Season before freezing - use rock salt instead of table salt
3. Don't SV steaks with butter
4. Don't presear
5. DIY smoke - lump of charcoal + splash of olive oil. I've accidentally reached the smoke point of extra-virgin olive oil during cooking. Is refined oil less horrible?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

BrianBoitano posted:

Thoughts on these HACKZZZ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DnNzgHg8g

tl;dw:
1. 2 steaks to different doneness - cook the higher temp first, drop temp, cook lower temp while keeping the more well done warm :effort:
I'm not making well steaks just because one person is weird about it so this is a cool idea if I need everything to come out at the same time.

quote:

3. Don't SV steaks with butter
Yeah I saw their video on it, and it seems like their biggest issue in the video they tested is leaving the juices in the bag and tossing it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

minusX posted:

(butter)Yeah I saw their video on it, and it seems like their biggest issue in the video they tested is leaving the juices in the bag and tossing it.

Many seasonings are fat soluble, and adding additional butter just takes those seasonings away from the meat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BrianBoitano posted:

5. DIY smoke - lump of charcoal + splash of olive oil. I've accidentally reached the smoke point of extra-virgin olive oil during cooking. Is refined oil less horrible?

Extra-virgin has the lowest smoke point because it's literally just what comes out of olives when you crush them and skim the water off the surface. That's why it's cloudy, that's why it sets up solid in the fridge: it's got a lot of stuff in it.

Yes, the refined grades have much higher smoke points, because they're a purer oil. But since they're purer, they're also more neutral and don't have much flavor.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you have someone who wants their steak a little better done just keep it in the pan for a little longer when you sear it, or sear it directly out of the pan while the more rare steaks cool down to prevent overcooking during the sear.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

atothesquiz posted:

I made this version: https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-duck-leg-confit and it turned out pretty good. Better than the last time I made them the traditional way and it requires WAY less fat. I simply threw in a few table spoons of solid fat in each bag instead of a 5qt dutch oven's worth.

This one sounds much better and easier. Maybe I'll give it a go the next time I buy a duck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We got some fancy pasture raised all outdoor expensive chickens this weekend from a farm over in Temeculah.

Anyone have any tips for an entire bird? Spatchcocked... Cut in half... Quartered.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone tried a Starbucks sous vide egg bites recipe they recommend? My wife loves them and wants to me make some big batches of them for her to have for breakfast.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone tried a Starbucks sous vide egg bites recipe they recommend? My wife loves them and wants to me make some big batches of them for her to have for breakfast.

I’ve mad the Anova one and I really liked them. I usually make a big batch, then just pop off the lid and toss in the toaster oven for a a few minutes and eat them out of the jar.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere

I followed the recipe the first time, but have made them with all kinds of cheeses, with and without bacon etc. Blend the crap out of everything and Make sure the cheese you use melts smooth, the only time I didn’t like the final product is when I tried to use feta.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What was the recommendation for meats going in for 24h+ dunks again? Blanch briefly in boiling water to kill bacteria on the surface?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sportman posted:

I’ve mad the Anova one and I really liked them. I usually make a big batch, then just pop off the lid and toss in the toaster oven for a a few minutes and eat them out of the jar.

I followed the recipe the first time, but have made them with all kinds of cheeses, with and without bacon etc. Blend the crap out of everything and Make sure the cheese you use melts smooth, the only time I didn’t like the final product is when I tried to use feta.

Same. I recommend!

Guys what’s the low-down on the searzall? I was all amped for it and then I (maybe misunderstandingly) read something(s) negative about it and thought it was not the way to go?

I cast iron sear but I’d love to torch sear and my 2 kitchen butanes seem (despite being good) woefully slow and small area of effect.

I just watched that hackzzzz video and his poo poo looked amazing and I saw he was using a Searzall.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

What was the recommendation for meats going in for 24h+ dunks again? Blanch briefly in boiling water to kill bacteria on the surface?

I don't bother, I've never had a problem

Feenix posted:

Guys what’s the low-down on the searzall? I was all amped for it and then I (maybe misunderstandingly) read something(s) negative about it and thought it was not the way to go?

I cast iron sear but I’d love to torch sear and my 2 kitchen butanes seem (despite being good) woefully slow and small area of effect.

I just watched that hackzzzz video and his poo poo looked amazing and I saw he was using a Searzall.

The searzall is very good at edge cases but probably should not be your primary searing tool. I think a cast iron or carbon steel skillet works best.

The searzall is good at searing irregularly shaped things that don't get good contact with a flat surface.

The searzall is good at touching up any spots that didn't get good contact with your skillet.

The searzall is good at searing delicate things that might fall apart in a skillet.

The searzall is good because it's portable and you can sear things on a camping trip.

Unfortunately there's some weird business going on right now with Amazon hoarding up thousands of searzalls and letting them drip out with 2-5 month waits. They literally have over 2400 units in a warehouse and are not giving any explanation for why they're not selling them. They're going for $250 on ebay as a result.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 17, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks... upon reading I think I’m better off with a BZ4500HS and some MAPP.

Also that’s some shady Amazon poo poo...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I probably most use my searzall for fish, so I can sear without risk of it coming apart. I’d consider it indispensable for that, but only useful for other stuff.

It does rock some cheese toast though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bag chat: I really like the large vac master bags, can get 250 of them for maybe $45. I still double bag for long cooks and inspect the seals and redo them if the seal isn’t good. But the bags are real nice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have a searzall and it has proven to be the single most unused appliance of my entire kitchen with the possible exception of the salad shooter I bought on a lark once

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

Thanks... upon reading I think I’m better off with a BZ4500HS and some MAPP.

Also that’s some shady Amazon poo poo...

I recommend a skillet over a Searzall but if you're gonna get a torch anyways I would recommend a searzall with a TS-8000. A naked torch seems to concentrate too much heat into too small of an area, leading to too many "oops I burned that spot" moments

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sportman posted:

Couldn't you try busting out a little sodium citrate in them? (Just spitballing science here.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

I recommend a skillet over a Searzall but if you're gonna get a torch anyways I would recommend a searzall with a TS-8000. A naked torch seems to concentrate too much heat into too small of an area, leading to too many "oops I burned that spot" moments

I have a skillet but sometimes I prefer torching. I was reading about the searzall and a ton of suggests came up about the BZ4500HS which is a bernzomatic heat shrink torch. It has more heat than the SearzAll and a much larger contact area.

Was gonna give that a try.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I also made the Chefsteps salmon mi cuit and mine also turned out mushy. Any suggestions about what to do with ~12oz of pretty junky salmon? I'm thinking maybe a rilette.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

turing_test posted:

I also made the Chefsteps salmon mi cuit and mine also turned out mushy. Any suggestions about what to do with ~12oz of pretty junky salmon? I'm thinking maybe a rilette.

I am into salmon but didn't love this. It's like something I would want for breakfast on toast but I have no idea how to eat it otherwise.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Salmon is one of those things where the difference in texture is better than homogeneous texture, seared with a rare middle is great. Rilette is a good idea for mushy salmon and in any context where caviar is used. A blini or toast with some mushy salmon, finely chopped onion and a dab of sour cream, yes please.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Make salmon salad and turn it into a patty melt. Put it on some hearty bread with Swiss and melt it in the oven. Delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

turing_test posted:

Did you refrigerate it for a day before eating it? I've heard the texture is a lot better when you do that.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I don't fully understand it but some salmon just sucks for sous vide, and I have no idea how you know beforehand. I'm guessing you just got one of those. I don't cook salmon this way because of this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I only do salmon fillets with the skin on and do a good fry/sear afterwards to crisp up the outside. I do 125 for 45 minutes. Thick cuts are better, but I've never had a piece come out bad. Trout did not do so well though, and I'm not sure why.

What temp and time do you guys do shrimp at? I did 130 for 25 minutes with a bit of baking soda shaked on them according to the seriouseats chart and they came out super fluffy and flavorful but really firm and almost crisp. Should I increase temp, time, or both?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ola posted:

Salmon is one of those things where the difference in texture is better than homogeneous texture, seared with a rare middle is great. Rilette is a good idea for mushy salmon and in any context where caviar is used. A blini or toast with some mushy salmon, finely chopped onion and a dab of sour cream, yes please.

God, yes. With a nice, spicy AF bloody mary.

That's a breakfast indeed.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I used leftover mi cuit salmon to make salmon cakes and they were fantastic. The salmon wasn't overcooked, so they came out very moist, even with a reduced amount of binder (I don't like using a lot of bread in crab or salmon cakes).

Here's the link to the recipe I used: https://www.garlicandzest.com/crunchy-salmon-cakes/

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you refrigerate it for a day before eating it? I've heard the texture is a lot better when you do that.

I did. I also very carefully followed all of the temperature instructions (froze my ice bath and my brine). I think maybe my salmon wasn't high quality enough to begin with.

These look amazing - thanks so much for the link!

turing_test fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 18, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Kalista posted:

I used leftover mi cuit salmon to make salmon cakes and they were fantastic. The salmon wasn't overcooked, so they came out very moist, even with a reduced amount of binder (I don't like using a lot of bread in crab or salmon cakes).

Here's the link to the recipe I used: https://www.garlicandzest.com/crunchy-salmon-cakes/

That sounds a lot like this AMAZING Salmon Burger recipe I tried last week, which could also work with Mi Cuit (Just don't add as much salt, I guess.) It only has breadcrumbs on the outside, so it's less of a patty and more like a little pocket of salmon.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/04/salmon-burgers-remoulade-fennel-slaw-recipe.html

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Bottom Liner posted:

I just bought jars to try this as well. Anyone done the pressure cooker faux vide version? Curious how they compare. Space is a little bit of an issue for me so the jars are not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
They are better than Starbucks by an order of magnitude, imo. If for no other reason than that you can play around and customize them however you want.

Some of my favorite combos so far:
Bacon and gruyere per Anova recipe
Spinach, mushroom and feta
Sausage cheddar
Aged gouda