Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Jeesis posted:

Aye nerds, I am looking for a call recording application.

Things I want in it
-Dumps either a mp3 or wav/whatever audio file straight to the device/SD card.
-Records all calls regardless of origin and gives option to discard recording after call ends.
-Whitelist for contacts so I do not get a 2 hour recording of me talking to my mom.
-Barebones interface (if one at all) with all the information being dumped into the filenames themselves. Example: 2018-04-20_666-420-1337_length-0-04-20.mp3 or just custom selection $date-$number-$length.extension.
-Passable audio quality. I do not need FLAC levels of audophilia but at least something that you can make out what people are saying without horrible amounts of compression.
-Automated voice that informs the caller that this call will be recorded and that continuing to stay on the line means they agree to the recording (This is an insane requirement that I doubt I will ever find and do not even expect, but would be nice as it would save me time from informing the caller of exactly that), If this option exists, then a ability to turn it off.
-Preferably a popup that allows me to turn off the recording when I get a call. Not expected but would be nice.
-Ability to start recordings for when I make calls not just receiving them.

Things I do not want
-Custom file formats that the app itself can only open. Seriously gently caress off with this poo poo.
-'CLOUD INTEGRATION' :yayclod: I can just setup some type of sync service if I want off phone backups and prefer to have complete control over what poo poo with potentially PII exits my device.
-Any use of external servers/services for 'quality purposes and telemetry' or whatever bullshit reasoning they have for keeping copies of my phone calls or wasting my data shoving a 200MB audio file across the cell network especially if it contains PII.
-The requirement to root my device, this should not have to exist but I would not doubt applications recording phone calls is blatantly a huge security risk and might not be possible with a non-rooted device.

I am willing to pay for such an app within reason, I mean if one exists and it is like :10bux:*5+ then I might be a little hesitant but I doubt something free exists with both the features I want and excluding the poo poo I do not want. Thanks for any suggestions nerds.

I assume that I am going to have to just bite the bullet and learn java to make it myself. :smith:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appstar.callrecorder I've used that without problems. The only thing it doens't do (that I know if) is warn the person on the other end that they're about to be recorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ElegantFugue posted:

Have you tried NetGuard? It sets up a VPN on the phone that does the blocking for you, so you can use whatever browser you want.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&pagenumber=118&perpage=40#post472540289

I'm a happy NetGuard user, so far. Its primary purpose is to allow/deny Internet access to apps, but adblock via a hosts file is a few taps in its settings menu to set up, then you can go about your life. I'm also somewhat amused that it's impossible to do this to NetGuard itself, because it has in-app banner ads.

Also, I hereby provisionally retract my previous grumbling about Android Police's bad-ad issue:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jeesis posted:

Aye nerds, I am looking for a call recording application.

Be warned the legality of this varies from "questionably legal" to "extremely illegal" unless you are warning the other party from the start of the call. That's why it's hard to find on the store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

Be warned the legality of this varies from "questionably legal" to "extremely illegal" unless you are warning the other party from the start of the call. That's why it's hard to find on the store.

FYI the states where this would be illegal are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LastInLine posted:

FYI the states where this would be illegal are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

AFAIK that's incorrect about Michigan, in that the courts had ruled the existing law was in regards to the conversations of others, not your own.

e: It wasn't taken to the MI Supreme Court, so I guess it could still get challenged.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Are there any simple ebook reader apps that aren't garbage? I don't care if it's connected to a store or has online features, all I want is to have something to read book files on the occasional times that I want to read something on my phone and it happens to come in an epub or whatever. I've tried blind installing free ebook apps but all of them either look like garbage, are filled with ads, or some other dealbreaker. I'm willing to pay for something that's good.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I just use play books. Syncs across my devices just fine. Simple and no ads.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Honestly, kindle app and google reader (play books) have both worked well for me. <never mind, app i mentioned is iOS only>. I've been happy with the two I mentioned earlier though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I like moon+ reader

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Blue Train posted:

I like moon+ reader

I take the DRM out of books I purchase through Google so i can read them in moon+ instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I want to easily keep a 60 gig or so music library on computer and phone, is Google Play Music the only real option I have to do so easily and automatically without paying for expanded space on something like Dropbox?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you say there is a dichotomy between your qualifiers "easy" and "automatically", and on the other hand "paying money". i don't know if it is possible to suggest anything here because this dichotomy is really dumb and not useful

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

If I want to easily keep a 60 gig or so music library on computer and phone, is Google Play Music the only real option I have to do so easily and automatically without paying for expanded space on something like Dropbox?

Do you really just wanna keep 60gigs of the same files on both? Use Resilio Sync and just share the main folder across both and use your local player of choice. If you'd rather stream from your computer as needed, you could try Plex

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

Buy a bigger SD card for your phone?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Plex is probably the only other good option that isn't "get a ton of storage".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be clear, I'm talking about the sync part, sorry. The storage on-phone is plenty big.

I'll look at Resilio Sync.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Plex and GPM would still be your best choice. Is there a reason you don't want to use them?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Taffer posted:

Plex and GPM would still be your best choice. Is there a reason you don't want to use them?

GPM has problems with large music collections - it gets stuttery and the interface isn't really useful for browsing.

Oh! And it completely fucks up albums with common names. I can navigate to an artist and choose their Greatest Hits album and GPM will show tracks from every GH album in my collection. It's bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. I have a master music collection on my computer in MusicBee, I just want to be able to sync it to my phone, plugging in my phone is slow and unreliable and really annoying, and it seems like this should be an easy task. And it would be nice if it was two-way enough for me to update ratings in their ID3.

GPM has a really annoying browser and I'd just prefer to use shuttle.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. I have a master music collection on my computer in MusicBee, I just want to be able to sync it to my phone, plugging in my phone is slow and unreliable and really annoying, and it seems like this should be an easy task. And it would be nice if it was two-way enough for me to update ratings in their ID3.

You could also try subsonic

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

boo_radley posted:

Oh! And it completely fucks up albums with common names. I can navigate to an artist and choose their Greatest Hits album and GPM will show tracks from every GH album in my collection. It's bad.
Your music may be tagged wrong or missing Album Artist tags. GPM takes a very literal interpretation of these tags.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can I get a recommendation for a full keyboard thing I can use when remoting into my laptop

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

like for when you have another screen to see the keystrokes?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

can I get a recommendation for a full keyboard thing I can use when remoting into my laptop

Would Hacker's Keyboard do you?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Depending on how "full" you need, Gboard has a PC layout that you can add in the settings (it's a language variation along with Dvorak, Coleman, etc.)

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I used have syncthing running on my phone and server to copy daily videos over to watch during my commute. That might be something to explore.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So for the last week or do, I haven't been getting any notification badges? I'm using Nova Prime with Tesla Unread but I don't know if it's one of those failing or if it's my phone or what. It's a Huawei nova plus, with Android 7.0. Should this be in the regular Android thread?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

So for the last week or do, I haven't been getting any notification badges? I'm using Nova Prime with Tesla Unread but I don't know if it's one of those failing or if it's my phone or what. It's a Huawei nova plus, with Android 7.0. Should this be in the regular Android thread?

No, it's definitely a Nova issue rather than an Android issue as native badges and notification channels are only available on Oreo. That said I don't know what the problem could be if it worked before and doesn't now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm having trouble with PocketCasts randomly stopping. It worked fine on my previous phone but I bought a Mate 9 and it tends to stop playing after about 30 seconds. Or it might not. I googled and tried the recommendations. It's already excluded from optimization and battery saving. Tried changing launchers. Doesn't matter if it's plugged into the charger. Anyone run into this or have other suggestions? Or a suggestion for a replacement?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wormil posted:

I'm having trouble with PocketCasts randomly stopping. It worked fine on my previous phone but I bought a Mate 9 and it tends to stop playing after about 30 seconds. Or it might not. I googled and tried the recommendations. It's already excluded from optimization and battery saving. Tried changing launchers. Doesn't matter if it's plugged into the charger. Anyone run into this or have other suggestions? Or a suggestion for a replacement?

It just completely disappears, notification and all?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LastInLine posted:

It just completely disappears, notification and all?

It pauses randomly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wormil posted:

It pauses randomly.

Well then that sounds like either a bad headphone jack, bad headphones, or something weird with whatever Bluetooth device you're using. Check the hole for lint and work from there.

I'm assuming if you just play it back through the speaker it works fine?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Sure you aren't streaming episodes and your data/wifi goes off with screen off?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's not the jack or wifi. It just randomly pauses. I found lots of similar complaints, various phones, but no resolution. My hope would be some obscure phone setting. I'm going to keep looking.

Edit, longer answer. It happens everywhere, even when I've downloaded the podcast. Sometimes it pauses before screen lock. It happens over the jack, the speaker, and Bluetooth. It could be pausing on notifications and not restarting?

Edit2, one other thing I forgot to mention, it doesn't happen with any other media app.

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 20, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just to be clear the jack could most definitely be causing it to pause.

The way you said sounded like you could be saying it wasn't the jack because the symptom was pausing...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You posted while I was editing. I added more info.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Does anyone else has issues with Spotify recognizing Chromecasts/Google Homes/Home sspeaker groups? Some times it works perfectly, others they just vanish from possible cast options and I have no clue how to get them back.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does anyone else has issues with Spotify recognizing Chromecasts/Google Homes/Home sspeaker groups? Some times it works perfectly, others they just vanish from possible cast options and I have no clue how to get them back.

Not Spotify but BeyondPod frequently won't see my Home Mini, despite not having issues with my full size Home. Or if I cast to "all speakers" (which is only the two) it will play through the Home and the Mini will come and go. I thought it might be because I had to replace the power cable on the Mini with a generic wall charger and it didn't work right? But it's never been a problem with playing Google Play Music, so who knows.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Is there a good to-do tracker app for Android? I've got Colornote, which lets me create checklists but I have to go into the app and pull them up to view them. I'd love to have one that lets me add notes and details and organize them into priorities/set deadlines for them and that preferably has a widget or some sort of display so I can see at a glance (and be reminded when I look at my phone) that I have tasks I need to resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ignoranus posted:

Is there a good to-do tracker app for Android? I've got Colornote, which lets me create checklists but I have to go into the app and pull them up to view them. I'd love to have one that lets me add notes and details and organize them into priorities/set deadlines for them and that preferably has a widget or some sort of display so I can see at a glance (and be reminded when I look at my phone) that I have tasks I need to resolve.

Remember the Milk does that, as long as you have a subscription.