Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How do the Leaf warranties work? Seems like it may actually be worth it getting one with a poo poo battery if Nissan will just replace it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

If we're counting the model s as a sedan, then then Ioniq should count. Sedans aren't a growth market segment unfortunately.

Oh neat, I hadn't heard of the Ioniq. Could be worth researching.

Subjunctive posted:

The S and 3 are hatchbacks, I think.

Hm, you might be right. I guess I'm mostly thinking in terms of cargo capacity, visibility, and especially overall size. I've been in an S and it's a gigantic car, while I'm used to thinking of hatchbacks as being compact and even cramped.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's also the Clarity EV by Honda. Not a civic but getting closer.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hm, you might be right. I guess I'm mostly thinking in terms of cargo capacity, visibility, and especially overall size. I've been in an S and it's a gigantic car, while I'm used to thinking of hatchbacks as being compact and even cramped.
Even the i3 is counted as a hatchback, and that's more like a weird SUV Van thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hatchbacks are cool.

The preference for sedans is a decadent affectation.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Rescue Toaster posted:

Thanks! I would absolutely consider an electric smart/city car. I honestly didn't know the spark ev was a thing. And I have to assume like all other EVs, they're totally unavailable new in the midwest. Also snow & winters seems like it could be tough, but I don't ever have to go on the interstate with it. (Though the ability to go on the interstate across town in an i3 or leaf or soul ev would be nice).

I'm 6'1" and was reasonably comfortable borrowing a Smart car a few times for my commute, but it was gas.

What “Midwest” state are you in? If you build a car on Kia’s website you can then search for local inventory to see if it’s available in your area. I just checked out a Kansas City zip and there were a bunch within 50 miles of it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

kill me now posted:

What “Midwest” state are you in? If you build a car on Kia’s website you can then search for local inventory to see if it’s available in your area. I just checked out a Kansas City zip and there were a bunch within 50 miles of it.

I'm in Iowa. When I put in a Soul EV in with my zip or a Kansas Cuity zip, it says 'found 7-8 cars within 50 miles' but the dealerships are actually in Rochester, NY and the like. And the estimated lease payments are $750/mo so something's definitely not working out there too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

FilthyImp posted:

Even the i3 is counted as a hatchback, and that's more like a weird SUV Van thing.

I own one and I'm not quite sure what the gently caress it is. People don't seem to get how big it is, it seems in people's mind it is more like a Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper when in reality it is closer to a weirdly shaped SUV crossover.

My dad took me to pick it up and checked it out while I was finishing the paperwork and while he is normally full of judgement and can't help himself from making a critical comment he actually apologized for thinking I was buying something like a Smart Car without seeing one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'd bet you could get an ev to the Midwest through CarMax.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

RZA Encryption posted:

I'd bet you could get an ev to the Midwest through CarMax.

Shouldn't you be able to send an EV through CarFax? :rimshot:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Pi dude posted:

Shouldn't you be able to send an EV through CarFax? :rimshot:

You'll have to pay CarTax.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14102

Battery replacement thread if you want to scam a $4,000 leaf this is the way to do it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14102

Battery replacement thread if you want to scam a $4,000 leaf this is the way to do it.

A poster on that forum posted:

I'd like to know too.

I got mine replaced back in June 2017. 

Since then, I've had:

-168 Charges, mostly all level 1 chargers at night up to 80% and charge it every 3-4 days. My commute is so short that I don't need to charge it. I also charge it at 9:30 PM.
-Driven 3000 miles (500 miles a month)
-Park my car outside at night
-Park my car in a parking structure during the day at work
-Live in LA near the water, so definitely much cooler than inland.
-Lost almost 7 AHR (59.34 AHr) and at 93.02% SOH.

Seems pretty excessive considering how little I've driven and how well I charge the car.

I'm no expert on batteries by any means, but I thought you should fully charge them occasionally? Is *only* ever charging to 80% ideal?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Haha I don't know, but mine is plugged in 90% of the time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

angryrobots posted:

I'm no expert on batteries by any means, but I thought you should fully charge them occasionally? Is *only* ever charging to 80% ideal?

I thought the battery overhead was already factored in so you didn't have to worry about charging or using 100% because the car won't let you do either in the first place.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I thought the battery overhead was already factored in so you didn't have to worry about charging or using 100% because the car won't let you do either in the first place.

For some vehicles like the Volt. With the leaf it mostly seems like they strapped a battery to a car and called it good.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ClassH posted:

For some vehicles like the Volt. With the leaf it mostly seems like they strapped a battery to a car and called it good.

This is one of those 'gotchas' with the leaf. The only time you'll ever achieve more than an 80% charge in a Volt is if you leave a charging station at the top of a mountain and regen your way down. Or go into forced fuel burn mode. And theoretically it won't let you drop below 20%

Edit: you'll never see your true charge on the display - it will show 100% at a true 80%. Likewise 0% is really 20%.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Goober Peas posted:

This is one of those 'gotchas' with the leaf. The only time you'll ever achieve more than an 80% charge in a Volt is if you leave a charging station at the top of a mountain and regen your way down. Or go into forced fuel burn mode. And theoretically it won't let you drop below 20%

Edit: you'll never see your true charge on the display - it will show 100% at a true 80%. Likewise 0% is really 20%.

Interesting but I guess I understand why they did that. A lot of people would get OCD about it otherwise.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Interesting but I guess I understand why they did that. A lot of people would get OCD about it otherwise.

I mean, it's not like they're blatantly lying. It's 100% of usable capacity, and 0% of usable capacity. The fact that you could theoretically still draw more power out of the battery pack or put more into it - while reducing the lifespan of the battery pack - isn't relevant. All of the advertising, calculated mileage, etc are all based on those defined charge levels.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

My understanding is at least with Tesla and BMW the usable range is significantly below the capacity to keep you from damaging the batteries by draining them completely or overcharging them and then they also do wear leveling to the cells and when the battery actually starts to lose capacity it is invisible to the user instead of slowly seeing their range wither.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
For those Volt owners out there, if you have a ELM327 compatible bluetooth OBD2 dongle, you can use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MyGreenVolt&hl=en to see some additional stuff about the battery. Like the real SOC% for example.

The Volt by design has to keep a reserve, since it operates like a hybrid once the battery "runs out". But it also helps battery life obviously.

Also fun fact... If you run out of gas in a Volt, it will let you dip a little further into the battery, allowing you ~1kWh more, but at reduced power before finally shutting down. So you can make it another 1.5 to 2 miles.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

stevewm posted:

For those Volt owners out there, if you have a ELM327 compatible bluetooth OBD2 dongle, you can use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MyGreenVolt&hl=en to see some additional stuff about the battery. Like the real SOC% for example.

The Volt by design has to keep a reserve, since it operates like a hybrid once the battery "runs out". But it also helps battery life obviously.

Also fun fact... If you run out of gas in a Volt, it will let you dip a little further into the battery, allowing you ~1kWh more, but at reduced power before finally shutting down. So you can make it another 1.5 to 2 miles.

The i3 has a hidden service menu for this on the dash that will give you an estimate of usable capacity but it includes the cap so it will only tell you if your battery has started to degrade.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

The i3 has a hidden service menu for this on the dash that will give you an estimate of usable capacity but it includes the cap so it will only tell you if your battery has started to degrade.

I've always figured the Volt likely has this too. But no one has managed to find it yet.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm in Iowa. When I put in a Soul EV in with my zip or a Kansas Cuity zip, it says 'found 7-8 cars within 50 miles' but the dealerships are actually in Rochester, NY and the like. And the estimated lease payments are $750/mo so something's definitely not working out there too.

Yeah looks like you SOL on the Soul EV. I just looked up the availability through our dealer portal and they are only available in the following states CA, HI, MD, NY, NJ, OR, WA, CT, MA, VT.

I could set you up with one and ship it out to you. PM me if you're interested

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

They just don't want to have to retrieve you when you run out of juice in the middle of a field :haw:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Goober Peas posted:

They just don't want to have to retrieve you when you run out of juice in the middle of a field :haw:

Its like they took a look at the 2016 electoral map and said, "yeah that's about right"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kill me now posted:

Yeah looks like you SOL on the Soul EV. I just looked up the availability through our dealer portal and they are only available in the following states CA, HI, MD, NY, NJ, OR, WA, CT, MA, VT.

I took my i3 to a BMW i certified service center in one of the largest metro areas of the US and was told it might take a couple of days to do a software upgrade for a recall and fix a known issue with the climate control because "there are only a couple of guys here that can work on the i cars" so buying a Kia electric car outside of the market areas might not be the wisest thing in the world.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

kill me now posted:

Almost like it was built to comply with state mandated ZEV quotas...

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/14475/porsche-will-bring-ultra-fast-charging-stations-to-the-u-s-report-says

It seems Porsche is planning on bringing 350kW CCS chargers to the US for its upcoming Mission E. Hopefully this will lead to someone installing enough of them that Tesla won't be the only option for road-trip-capable EVs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Goober Peas posted:

You can't program the Leaf to do that? I can tell my laptop to only charge to 80%.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You can absolutely tell the leaf to do that automatically. It's how I have mine set up most of the time. When I plan a longer trip occasionally, I'll set it to charge to 100%. I still have the full 100%, 12 bars available after over two years of ownership. My commute looks very much like that LA poster's. The only difference is I live in Norway.

The Leaf's batteries are notoriously heat sensitive due to no active cooling. They handle the cold okay, and have active heating to prevent damage to the pack from excessively low temperatures.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
If I don't have a wide selection of EVs in Ohio to choose from by 2022 I'm gonna be Real Mad

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Let's come at this from another angle. One of the big things I want to be able to do with my vehicles is transport lumber, without having to deal with a rack. Generally this means upwards of a half-dozen 8'-long boards in various thicknesses and widths. I can do this in my Civic with a little maneuvering (I have to open the front passenger-side door and the left rear door, and lower the front passenger seat). What electric cars would be able to replicate this feat?

A little googling turns up people asking similar questions, but not much in the way of answers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let's come at this from another angle. One of the big things I want to be able to do with my vehicles is transport lumber, without having to deal with a rack. Generally this means upwards of a half-dozen 8'-long boards in various thicknesses and widths. I can do this in my Civic with a little maneuvering (I have to open the front passenger-side door and the left rear door, and lower the front passenger seat). What electric cars would be able to replicate this feat?

A little googling turns up people asking similar questions, but not much in the way of answers.

Boy howdy do i have a solution for you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Believe it or not, I'm not particularly interested in driving a lunchbox. But the Bollinger certainly is a...unique vehicle.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Like how often do you have to do this because you can rent a pickup from Home Depot for like $20. You are going to be making sacrifices with an electric car, no question but there are other factors that go in like reduced maintenance and fuel costs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Like how often do you have to do this because you can rent a pickup from Home Depot for like $20. You are going to be making sacrifices with an electric car, no question but there are other factors that go in like reduced maintenance and fuel costs.

I do woodworking as a hobby (so, miscellaneous hardwood boards and the occasional sheet of veneered plywood), and I need 2x4s for home improvement and woodshop furniture I'd guess every couple of months or so? I don't really want to deal with renting the Home Depot truck every time I want to go to the lumberyard. It'd be more economical to get a tiny electric econobox and rent the truck as needed, sure, but if I can find a larger vehicle that saves me from that need, that'd be nice. It also bears mentioning that I'm 6'5", and find a lot of the smaller cars to be kind of cramped.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I do woodworking as a hobby (so, miscellaneous hardwood boards and the occasional sheet of veneered plywood), and I need 2x4s for home improvement and woodshop furniture I'd guess every couple of months or so? I don't really want to deal with renting the Home Depot truck every time I want to go to the lumberyard. It'd be more economical to get a tiny electric econobox and rent the truck as needed, sure, but if I can find a larger vehicle that saves me from that need, that'd be nice. It also bears mentioning that I'm 6'5", and find a lot of the smaller cars to be kind of cramped.

It doesn't fit "tiny electric econobox" but you will have more than enough room in an i3. Actually mine is in the shop and I currently suffering the terrible injustice of driving a 2018 230i convertible loaner with 500 miles on it. My partner asked me if I was having fun and the honest answer is the i3 is tons more comfortable to drive and I can't wait to have it back. They said my i3 might be ready tomorrow but they haven't moved it since I dropped it off so I may ask if I can come by tomorrow and swap for an X3 or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Let's come at this from another angle. One of the big things I want to be able to do with my vehicles is transport lumber, without having to deal with a rack.
Probably something like the Rav4 Hybrid? Or maybe a Volt if the seats fold down enough.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Probably something like the Rav4 Hybrid? Or maybe a Volt if the seats fold down enough.

I'm hoping to stick to plug-in hybrids or full electrics if possible (don't want to be burning gas for every short trip I make), so that does in the Rav4. Looks like you can fit 8' boards in a Volt, though, so there's that! Sounds like that guy used the same strategy I use in my Civic: lower the front seat down as far as possible, then run the boards from the front passenger footwell up to the top of the rear seats.

The i3 does also look interesting, though it is of course considerably more expensive. Still worth checking out though.

I'm imagining the sales team's faces when I show up to test drives with a dirty 2x4 in tow, asking to be allowed to shove that thing into the main cabin. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

For a size reference, I can fit my perfectly normal bicycle in the back of my Leaf with the rear seats folded down and it doesn't protrude into the front seats at all.

• Locked thread