Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can we get some god drat spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I don't think Rawne would have any problem with arranging a fatal accident for Meryn if he got half a reason.
He had no time telling Meryn to shut the gently caress up and drop the drugs he tried to loot from that gambling den in Blood Pact.
Hell, even Hark looked the other way when Kolea and Criid beat him up for being a cowardly rear end in a top hat in Salvation's Reach.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waroduce posted:

Can we get some god drat spoilers

Sorry, spoilered it out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groetgaffel posted:

I don't think Rawne would have any problem with arranging a fatal accident for Meryn if he got half a reason.
He had no time telling Meryn to shut the gently caress up and drop the drugs he tried to loot from that gambling den in Blood Pact.
Hell, even Hark looked the other way when Kolea and Criid beat him up for being a cowardly rear end in a top hat in Salvation's Reach.

Except Meryn has had it out for Rawne since His Last Command because he got jealous that Rawne might take Banda back from him.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I don't think Rawne gives a poo poo about that to be honest.
If he knew Meryn was behind the scam though, I think he would.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Iv only read First and Only, the series seems daunting on top of HH and the rest of my reading and stuff. Is there a short list of Must Read Gaunt books? Or at least a list of Can Skips?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
For starters you're probably good to skip Ghostmaker and proceed with Necropolis, which is a pretty essential read.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't skip anything. Ghostmaker is really good. The framing device of the monthax campaign is alright but it has some killer short stories. The ones involving the Ghosts interactions with the Volpone Bluebloods are good for informing their competition with them during Necropolis.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
If you skip Ghostmaker you miss the sniper's story and you are doing yourself a disservice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't skip anything. Ghostmaker is really good. The framing device of the monthax campaign is alright but it has some killer short stories. The ones involving the Ghosts interactions with the Volpone Bluebloods are good for informing their competition with them during Necropolis.
This "framing device" thing was a pretty standard GW way of bringing together a bunch of short stories into one novel. Trollslayer was the same. TBH it worked out fine when I wasn't trying to understand it as a 15 year old.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Immanentized posted:

In universe, they're not fluent gothic speakers, it's meant, in a very clumsy way to portray the insulated and isolated nature of the scars. In a setting characterized by the fracture of a galactic united culture, they're being set up as never fully having part of it in the first place.

Going back a bit in the thread, but this really bugs me when Astartes are genetically engineered to be super intellignet and can pick up languages quickly. They literally have eidetic memories and are designed to absorb information. They should be able to pick up a language as easily as Neo learning kung fu

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I took it as a sign of the Scars wanting to remain isolated. Their reluctance to learn proper Gothic is a show of willfully not really being a part of the Imperium.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From what I remember the only one of the Scars that speaks bad Gothic is the head Stormseer (the guy whose name starts with a Y). All the others have no issue speaking to people outside of the legion. Plus the character in question was one of the few guys who grew up with the Khan then was made an astartes after he was over the recommended age, so you could make the case that he was just much more set in his ways. I still think Wraight could've dropped that aspect of the story and it wouldn't have changed anything.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Hustlin Floh posted:

From what I remember the only one of the Scars that speaks bad Gothic is the head Stormseer (the guy whose name starts with a Y). All the others have no issue speaking to people outside of the legion. Plus the character in question was one of the few guys who grew up with the Khan then was made an astartes after he was over the recommended age, so you could make the case that he was just much more set in his ways. I still think Wraight could've dropped that aspect of the story and it wouldn't have changed anything.
Yeah, he was the only one with broken grammar, but I do seem to recall the other Chogoris-born Scars having noticeable accents.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Hi all, quick question: I'm going to be in need of a new book or two in the next week. I've been mainlining a lot of Horus Heresy, so I'm feeling a bit Space Marine'd-out. Looking at the BL novel list, the Rogue Trader Omnibus, The Horusian Wars: Resurrection, Warlord: Fury of the God Machine, or any other human-ish centric book in the line. Can I get some quick recommendations as to whether any of these are worth the time and cash to pick up? Or I could just continue my death march through the Horus Heresy line :P .

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shira Calpurnia books are kind of fun. She's a space cop.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shira Calpurnia books are kind of fun. She's a space cop.
Seconding this. Bit of a slow burn though.

Otherwise the Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars trilogy is great. Also available as an omnibus now. Follows a Rogue Trader that joins a Mechanicus exploration voyage.
(okay yes, there's a combat squad of black templars in it, but they're mostly off to the side)

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

Seconding this. Bit of a slow burn though.

Otherwise the Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars trilogy is great. Also available as an omnibus now. Follows a Rogue Trader that joins a Mechanicus exploration voyage.
(okay yes, there's a combat squad of black templars in it, but they're mostly off to the side)

Combat squad? Try an entire Crusade of them.

Also, how many Black Swords do they have if half a squad is running around with one?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

susan posted:

Hi all, quick question: I'm going to be in need of a new book or two in the next week. I've been mainlining a lot of Horus Heresy, so I'm feeling a bit Space Marine'd-out. Looking at the BL novel list, the Rogue Trader Omnibus, The Horusian Wars: Resurrection, Warlord: Fury of the God Machine, or any other human-ish centric book in the line. Can I get some quick recommendations as to whether any of these are worth the time and cash to pick up? Or I could just continue my death march through the Horus Heresy line :P .

Read Titanicus my child

susan
Jan 14, 2013
All added to cart; second hand paperbacks are pretty cheap, who knew :P ?

Thanks all! More suggestions are of course welcome, no reason not to load the queue.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Double Eagle is enjoyable too. Plenty of aerial combat and dogfights in it, inspired by WW2 and the Battle of Britain in particular. (And personally I love the ending – Abnett’s prose generally is on point, but the final lines here especially stuck with me.)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Storm of Iron is near universally loved.

And Ciaphas Cain is a personal favourite of mine. Just don't read too many of those back to back as they get a bit repetitive. Fantastic as palate cleansers between the other serious and grimdark 40k books.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Titanicus is great macro scale stuff. It's basically a planet-wide war between the AdMech and the Dark Mechanicum.

Was the Macharian Crusade series by William King good? I'd like to read that someday, or even the Baneblade book.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Titanicus is great macro scale stuff. It's basically a planet-wide war between the AdMech and the Dark Mechanicum.

Was the Macharian Crusade series by William King good? I'd like to read that someday, or even the Baneblade book.

Read Hammers Slammers

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Not on the level of Gaunt's Ghosts, but pretty good. Worth the read I'd say.
The Baneblade book is actually really good. An unexpected favourite of mine. It's got a sequel called Shadowsword too.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's really hard to find a central order for the books anywhere, so if I'm interested in Master of Mankind and Carrion Throne( and feel free to suggest other Heresy era books about Terra and Emps!), what order should I read them in?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

There's actually very little written about Heresy era Terra, and about Emps in general.

While it doesn't at all show Terra, Mechanicum is a good a read. One of the early Heresy books. It's a good read even if you're not into the Heresy as it shows Emps landing on Mars, the signing of the Treaty of Mars and it shows just how badly hosed up Mars got by the Schism. McNiell isn't the best writer, but in my opinion he gets AdMech like none other.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

There's actually very little written about Heresy era Terra, and about Emps in general.

While it doesn't at all show Terra, Mechanicum is a good a read. One of the early Heresy books. It's a good read even if you're not into the Heresy as it shows Emps landing on Mars, the signing of the Treaty of Mars and it shows just how badly hosed up Mars got by the Schism. McNiell isn't the best writer, but in my opinion he gets AdMech like none other.

Already read that one, but thanks! I've blown through a lot of the Heresy books, I just find the ThouSons, Wolves, Dark Angels novels incredibly loving boring and don't want to wade through them to get to the good stuff.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 16, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh in the Abnett titan book, what was the heresy they discovered ? Does anyone remember? That's an old book now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

euphronius posted:

Uh in the Abnett titan book, what was the heresy they discovered ? Does anyone remember? That's an old book now.

IIRC they found a Castigator-pattern titan, which was even larger and more badass than the Imperator. Problem was it was it had a sort of AI which was daemonic through and through

E: Whoops, got it mixed up with Dark Adeptus

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I think it was something like the Emperor wasn't the Omnissah they are separate beings or something like that

One of the characters doctored or forged some documentation, and it caused chain of command issues

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I think it was something like the Emperor wasn't the Omnissah they are separate beings or something like that

One of the characters doctored or forged some documentation, and it caused chain of command issues

Basically this, some of the AdMech took advantage of the war and confusion to push their own theological views and break from the Terran Imperium.
There's also hints that this is a growing thing in the larger AdMech mentality, and is the next big schismatic threat to the Imperium, don't think they ever went anywhere with it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The reason I brought it up is that may be connected to the recent stuff about the dark ages.

They probably forgot about that book tho.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tias posted:

It's really hard to find a central order for the books anywhere, so if I'm interested in Master of Mankind and Carrion Throne( and feel free to suggest other Heresy era books about Terra and Emps!), what order should I read them in?

I recently read master of mankind -> carrion throne -> the emperor’s legion

If you look at the cover of Carrion Throne you’ll notice that there is a custodian on it, so it won’t be much of a spoiler for you to learn that one is a character in that book! I think MoM does a good job acting as a prologue for how custodians functioned during the height of their power in the heresy era while the other two books flesh out how they operate in the modern 40k setting. I thought of these books as sort of a thematic trilogy and that worked out well enough for me!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I recently read master of mankind -> carrion throne -> the emperor’s legion

If you look at the cover of Carrion Throne you’ll notice that there is a custodian on it, so it won’t be much of a spoiler for you to learn that one is a character in that book! I think MoM does a good job acting as a prologue for how custodians functioned during the height of their power in the heresy era while the other two books flesh out how they operate in the modern 40k setting. I thought of these books as sort of a thematic trilogy and that worked out well enough for me!
Am only half way through Emperor's Legion, but I agree with this.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
A lot of the HH books have little snippets of Crusade Earth. I just recently finished Prospero Burns and one of my fav bits was the Terra stuff. Not a lot of detail or world building, really just a couple chapters about a guy doin his job there.

The short story The Last Church has a decent amount of description of the unification wars of terra. There's a dramatic reading of it on YouTube that's pretty good.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

The reason I brought it up is that may be connected to the recent stuff about the dark ages.

They probably forgot about that book tho.

Sounds interesting, how do you figure?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well people were itt speculating on the "real" nature of what the E was during those times which I believe included the unification of earth and mars. The speculated fact under those spoiler tags would be directly relevant to that historical occurrence.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm reading Vengeful Spirit, and I'm wondering something; Didn't Loken die? He's running around all alive and I really thought he died at the Istvaan. Did I miss a book or am I just misremembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm reading Vengeful Spirit, and I'm wondering something; Didn't Loken die? He's running around all alive and I really thought he died at the Istvaan. Did I miss a book or am I just misremembering?

You want the audiobook Garro: Legion of One.