Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tattletale is criminally incapable of making things easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
New Ward was great, Tattltale still the best, I'm mad as hell that we have to wait till Tuesday to see what the kids can really Do

Also I think part of why Ward has been slow is it has to create a world that isn't just "earth, but"

Like Earth, but capes or Earth, but it's the 20s and Frankensteins, this is "earth, but also Earth is hosed to hell and werre living in a hellscape that is only passingly similar to how things used to he or should be and everything is bad and lame"

So you have to establish what's going on in this world and how things have changed post gold morning and all that good poo poo, plus set up these five or six new characters all in a shot instead of kinda pacing it out over the first five arcs of worm

Basically it's a fault of the story not the writing per se

Also Tattletale owns

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's pretty great. Tattletale basically urges Victoria to do this thing, tells her why she wants Vicky to do it without giving any details, warns her of the possibility of failure, tells her she can't help Victoria and may have to oppose her, that Tattletale opposing Victoria is actually the better option for Vicky, reminds Vicky to rely on others, going so far as to give a big hint as to who Tattletale thinks Vicky should rely on. Reminds Vicky that her aura is actually her best and strongest power while warning to avoid abusing other with it, and she even gives Victoria a hint as to what the people in the point might be capable of, by telling Vicky it's dumb do keep her shield down. And all of this is done in the most antagonistic god damned way possible because Tattletale really doesn't like Victoria very much.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NecroMonster posted:

it's pretty great. Tattletale basically urges Victoria to do this thing, tells her why she wants Vicky to do it without giving any details, warns her of the possibility of failure, tells her she can't help Victoria and may have to oppose her, that Tattletale opposing Victoria is actually the better option for Vicky, reminds Vicky to rely on others, going so far as to give a big hint as to who Tattletale thinks Vicky should rely on. Reminds Vicky that her aura is actually her best and strongest power while warning to avoid abusing other with it, and she even gives Victoria a hint as to what the people in the point might be capable of, by telling Vicky it's dumb do keep her shield down. And all of this is done in the most antagonistic god damned way possible because Tattletale really doesn't like Victoria very much.

I didn't catch the part about who she should rely on

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I didn't catch the part about who she should rely on

It's when she reveals that she knew Kenzi was recording the whole drat thing. She didn't do anything about the recording, so she had to have made a note of it for some other reason, my best guess is to remind Vicky of what Kenzi can do. Although she may have just been reminding Victoria to go over the recording before sharing it, but this being Tattletale, I'm really betting it was both.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NecroMonster posted:

It's when she reveals that she knew Kenzi was recording the whole drat thing. She didn't do anything about the recording, so she had to have made a note of it for some other reason, my best guess is to remind Vicky of what Kenzi can do. Although she may have just been reminding Victoria to go over the recording before sharing it, but this being Tattletale, I'm really betting it was both.

Yeah that makes sense

I like rhat basically everything in that conversation was almost certainly designed to do the opposite of what was actually said

Tt rules, TT interlude when

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Finally finished reading this whole thread just now. Finished Mother of Learning (what's out anyway) a few days ago and I really enjoyed it, and now I gotta find something new to start. Thanks for this awesome thread guys.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Silynt posted:

I very much enjoyed the most recent Practical Guide, specifically the back and forth between Squire and Warlock. I thought the dialogue between them was some of the best in the series. And I'm intrigued by the hypocrisy in Warlock's stance on Cat - not the one she calls him out on, which is totally justified (he is every bit the monster he accuses her of being) - but that he seems to hate her for the threat that she represents to his best friend through her existence as his "replacement". How is that situation any different from Apprentice and Warlock? We just saw Apprentice transition into another Mage name, so why would he not assume that she could or would do the same? He claims that she will be the death of Black, but Masego wasn't the death of Warlock.

Speaking of Cat's potentially impending transition, do you guys think that Black Queen will be her new name, or is that just a red herring? I've been convinced that she won't become a Black Knight since very early on, but I'm not sure I buy the Black Queen as her final form. After all, a Squire has to become a Knight, right? Maybe Knight Queen or something similar. Or Night Queen if wordplay is more your style, haha.

Honestly it's either Black Queen. Because she is going down that path herself. In which case Black Knight is probably spared.

Possibly Black dies and she takes his place.

More probable is she becomes White Knight because that is probably the only way her side will "win". gently caress the gods game just flip over the table.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Affi posted:

Honestly it's either Black Queen. Because she is going down that path herself. In which case Black Knight is probably spared.

More probable is she becomes White Knight because that is probably the only way her side will "win". gently caress the gods game just flip over the table.

I want to believe it's black queen because the march of the black queen talks about going into heaven and coming back out, and if this whole thing is an extremely long game queen reference, it would be amazing.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

I am also thinking she'll turn into a hero. There is a point in Worm where Taylor just goes "gently caress it, I'll just do whatever it takes with no regrets". Where she 100% feels like she's just reacting to people attacking her and none of it is her fault.

I still haven't got that as Cat. The series makes it clear that she realizes that all of the death and hardship and pain is her fault in a way, and she feels terrible about it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Man I hope this Flos storyline in Wandering Inn gets interesting soon, it's boring as hell right now.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

Man I hope this Flos storyline in Wandering Inn gets interesting soon, it's boring as hell right now.

Haven’t read the latest one yet but he’s the “King of Destruction”. I’m generally confident that Pirate can write compelling and creepy characters (the corpse worm was amazing, Gazi), and there’s a lot of backstory we don’t have on the guy and why he stopped and went to sleep. I think the humanization going on now will probably be used to show how much he changes when he starts to actually do his thing.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Affi posted:

I think one of the limitation of squire means she cannot step into Black Queen even if it is a new one. That doesn't mean she can't transition into a new Knight title though. Winter Knight has a nice ring to it.

I'm honestly much more concerned with Killian, I'm really hoping that goes somewhere else than "and then I stopped and never loved again because woe is me I'm so sad and a monster and doomed to make the same mistakes as Black".

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tzarnal posted:

I think one of the limitation of squire means she cannot step into Black Queen even if it is a new one. That doesn't mean she can't transition into a new Knight title though. Winter Knight has a nice ring to it.

I'm honestly much more concerned with Killian, I'm really hoping that goes somewhere else than "and then I stopped and never loved again because woe is me I'm so sad and a monster and doomed to make the same mistakes as Black".

She definitely can, the angel offered her Queen.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Help. I just devoured the ending to Worm last night and I'm on less then two hours sleep.

Goddamn.

Its felt like years since I last hit an unstoppable pageturner, but arc's 29 and 30 would not let me go.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Thyrork posted:

Help. I just devoured the ending to Worm last night and I'm on less then two hours sleep.

Goddamn.

Its felt like years since I last hit an unstoppable pageturner, but arc's 29 and 30 would not let me go.

Good news! Worm 2 just started a few weeks ago!

But if you'd prefer something complete, Wildbow finished two other stories inbetween; Pact (generally considered to be worse than Worm) and Twig (generally considered to be better than Worm).

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

Good news! Worm 2 just started a few weeks ago!

But if you'd prefer something complete, Wildbow finished two other stories inbetween; Pact (generally considered to be worse than Worm) and Twig (generally considered to be better than Worm).

I would say Twig is better written than Worm, but not quite as addictive as worm.

When I was reading Worm for the first time, it honestly felt like I was on some sort of Drug. I was reading it like a crazy person until 2 or 3 in the morning. I believe Twig is a better story, but Worm just has a certain strange magnetism, especially if you haven't been exposed to any other serial Superhero stories.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ward Rain is absolutely full of loving poo poo and they should stick a knife in him and leave him in a dumpster right now.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NecroMonster posted:

Ward Rain is absolutely full of loving poo poo and they should stick a knife in him and leave him in a dumpster right now.

This, also Tristan is pretty much a dead man walking, likely at the hands of Rain, given that goat foreshadowing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

21 Muns posted:

This, also Tristan is pretty much a dead man walking, likely at the hands of Rain, given that goat foreshadowing.

We knew that from the prologue tho

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

We knew that from the prologue tho

Well, the evidence is continuing to pile up.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

ward thoughts: Secrets and lies seems to be a pretty big theme so far, and having an obsessive secret digger on the team means they could pop out at any (the worst) times. The tristin/rain forshadow is so blunt I'm honestly expecting it to be something more like rain's power splitting tristin/byron apart during an unstable trigger or something instead of just rain killing him (either accidently or on purpose).

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Something else interesting: Ashley's the only one of them, including Victoria, who isn't obviously lying or hiding something. She's relatively straightforward about her plans and motives.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i tried to read worm, but if i wanted a story where nothing good ever happens and every victory is Pyrrhic i'd just start paying more attention to politics.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i tried to read worm, but if i wanted a story where nothing good ever happens and every victory is Pyrrhic i'd just start paying more attention to politics.

Heh. Honestly, I find Worm less depressing than Marvel/DC comics, because the characters and world can meaningfully change in the long term.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Rain is clearly lying about a bunch of poo poo. He knows what happened to member 5(may have caused it), he knows why the others want him dead, he knows them better them he is pretending to, and he's likely lying about multiple facets of his power (does he really have to throw them? can he only make one at a time? what exactly happens when his power is waxing?)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'd advise anyone who is feeling a bit lost to reread the paralogue Glow Worm bit. Each chapter is from a single characters perspective: Point Me @ is Victoria, Heart is Kenzie, Cap is Tristan/Byron (who hires a hit on his other half it looks like?), Curious Cephalopod, Weird Insect, etc. are Chris (one account for each personality maybe?), Kraken is Sveta, Mangled is Ashley, of5 is Rain.

There's a whole bunch of weird poo poo going down and we still only have a few of the pieces. Most of the assumptions we are making are probably wrong.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
christ had 32 accounts because he was trying to prevent kenzie spying on him not because of his multiple personalities i think

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

violent sex idiot posted:

christ had 32 accounts because he was trying to prevent kenzie spying on him not because of his multiple personalities i think

It seemed more like he was trying to bait her into revealing that she was spying on him? You're right though it doesn't look like it had anything to do with his power.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really liked the latest practical guide to evil.

Every so often in these serials, you come across a chapter where you can tell the author is excited, that they've been waiting to write that particular bit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SerCypher posted:

I really liked the latest practical guide to evil.

Every so often in these serials, you come across a chapter where you can tell the author is excited, that they've been waiting to write that particular bit.

TBQH, that's one of the biggest things I wonder about when I upload a chapter because, well, it's true. There are chapters you can't wait to write and finish and put out there and there are ones where you're like 'Well, this is okay, I guess.'

For example, the most recent chapter I put out is one that fitted into the first category even if it's a really simple chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something bugs me about Yamada in Ward/Worm. Like she feels like some person from outside the story entering the story and talking to the characters or something, it's hard to describe. Or something like a layperson's idea of an ideal therapist. Just something about her interactions stands out as awkward and unnatural.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ward 3.5 Is there anything Rain isn't lying about? And Kenzie's dad is for sure some kind of loving robot isn't he?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

NecroMonster posted:

Ward 3.5 Is there anything Rain isn't lying about?

its fine, because kenzie is totally lying about not watching him

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NecroMonster posted:

Ward 3.5 Is there anything Rain isn't lying about? And Kenzie's dad is for sure some kind of loving robot isn't he?

So I read the Reddit thread for 3.4 and some of the speculation was that her specialty isn't cameras, it's robots and AI, and she's going to accidentally make skynet at some point and god I want this

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So I read the Reddit thread for 3.4 and some of the speculation was that her specialty isn't cameras, it's robots and AI, and she's going to accidentally make skynet at some point and god I want this

I saw speculation that she wasn't an AI tinker per se, but instead a simulation tinker, basically star trek holodeck style poo poo, the surveillance poo poo is actually just data gathering for her real speciality.

So not an AI tinker, actually an AI tinker+

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

ward 3.5

There is a lot the Rain isn't 'technically' lying about, which is interesting. Like he is essentially lying because when you describe "jump from a moving train onto a gravel slope and perfectly stop" as a "lets me keep my balance" you're distorting the truth so much it is basically a lie. He is so insistent on his cluster not being after him for kiss/kill syndrome that I'm pretty sure he killed the 5th member for the power boost and the rest of his cluster knows it.

I think this is the second time Victoria's paranoia has paid off in spades, it'll be interesting to see what the 3rd is and how she deals with it.

Something is weird with Kenzie's dad, but at this point I don't think anything is nailed down. Limited robot wouldn't be surprising, given her comments in glow-worm and how uncanny valley he is. However, the rest of the group seems to know something about the situation, and it seems off for that to be the answer unless whatever they all know about is cover for secret robot.

Secrets and lies keep building and I'm really interested in how this jenga tower is going to collapse.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ward 3.5

Also in retrospect, looking back at Rain's description of his "guilt/doubt" power, it seems pretty likely that he made Victoria get uncomfortable and decide to stop watching him.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

21 Muns posted:

Ward 3.5

Also in retrospect, looking back at Rain's description of his "guilt/doubt" power, it seems pretty likely that he made Victoria get uncomfortable and decide to stop watching him.

This is actually really possible, and shades basically everything that has happened previously. I might need to go re-read some stuff with that in mind.In terms of range and subtly and strength his emotion power would be crazy strong, as Victoria is quite distant, and naturally resistant to emotion effects and she doesn't notice it. Much like how Victoria used to spam her aura all the time (and how that in the end worked out), we might find out that Rain is basically doing the same thing to set things up for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I think he's an evil little poo poo.