Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
So one of the characters in my campaign has become partially undead as a result of experiments performed on her while a prisoner. Currently I'm just ruling that this means she has the undead subtype and resist 5 necrotic / vulnerable 5 radiant as a bit of flavour. The player has decided he wants to embrace this and seek out a powerful necromancer to finish the transformation and turn her into a death knight. Can anyone here offer suggestions on good ways mechanically to enhance the undead flavour and introduce some interesting consequences? The party is currently level 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

What class is that dude and what are his stats? Build? Outlook on life?

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
Oh right, should probably provide more info on the character herself. She's only recently entered the campaign after the player's previous character died, but she's pretty much a glory hound fighter who is looking for fame and fortune. The build is basically just a stupidly tanky fighter with a focus on being impossible to hit and generally just irritating all the enemies, wearing full plate armour with a bastard sword and shield. Very much your stereotypical sword and board meat shield. She was abducted into an experimental military installation after she didn't know when to shut up, and then managed to irritate the guards enough that she was prioritised into "special" treatment, which is how she ended up in her current situation.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Also, what level are we talking about? If she's level 3, the advice will probably be different than if she's exactly 10 going on 11.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
Currently level twelve, though I'm in no great rush to advance this story line so it may not happen for a few levels yet as the undeadening only just occurred. The player has said he plans to see out the next necromancer he hears about to ask for aid, and publicly known necromancers aren't especially common. What necromancers they do know are already generally hated by the party, so approaching them is a no go. I'm thinking deathknight status or something like it will only be attainable to doing some great service to a powerful necromancer, or performing some kind of great deed in the name of Orcus or Vecna.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Change race to Revenant. Undead flavour, she gets to keep everything her old race is a prerequisite for, it's simple, 100% works within the system, and it's a tradeoff and therefore still a choice.

e: if you find an appropriate paragon path, that's a bonus. Level 12 is early enough to change.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
And/or multiclass vampire feats

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 15, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'd agree here, also let them retrain their background if you are using them?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

zedar posted:

Currently level twelve, though I'm in no great rush to advance this story line so it may not happen for a few levels yet as the undeadening only just occurred. The player has said he plans to see out the next necromancer he hears about to ask for aid, and publicly known necromancers aren't especially common. What necromancers they do know are already generally hated by the party, so approaching them is a no go. I'm thinking deathknight status or something like it will only be attainable to doing some great service to a powerful necromancer, or performing some kind of great deed in the name of Orcus or Vecna.

What class is she?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Madmarker posted:

What class is she?

He said sword and board fighter.

zedar posted:

The build is basically just a stupidly tanky fighter with a focus on being impossible to hit and generally just irritating all the enemies, wearing full plate armour with a bastard sword and shield. Very much your stereotypical sword and board meat shield.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Race change to Revenant certainly fits the bill though Revenants aren't brilliant Fighters.

There's probably a Paragon Path and/or Epic Destiny out there that would also suit, but good lord it's been like 6 years since I played 4e and I can't fuckin remember

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
Changing race to revenant is certainly an option though switching from human means losing bonus feats and at wills which might make him unhappy, but I guess if you want to become undead you have to be prepared to make some sacrifices. I tried looking through paragon paths / epic destinies and couldn't see anything that really stood out, though admittedly I haven't really read through them all, just skimmed.

My lazy option is just to give her a bunch of equipment with thematic bonuses / powers and call it "death knight armour".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You might consider some kind of abilities/restrictions related to the weapon they use, considering Death Knights' powers are so closely tied to their weapons. Something as basic as the swordmage's swordbond, plus the gimmick actual Death Knights have where taking their weapon away dazes and weakens both them and the thief.

Revenants have several feats that enhance the "undead" flavor, such as no longer needing to breathe or eat, so you might look into either giving some of them for free (honestly, not eating or breathing is mechanically negligible unless you're going to be fighting a lot of noxious clouds) or allowing the player to trade their existing feats for extra spookiness.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 17, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zedar posted:

Changing race to revenant is certainly an option though switching from human means losing bonus feats and at wills

It only means that if you want it to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey, did anyone ever make a good homebrewed standalone necromancer class? I really don't find myself satisfied with what Heroes of Shadow has to offer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, did anyone ever make a good homebrewed standalone necromancer class? I really don't find myself satisfied with what Heroes of Shadow has to offer.

Refluff the shaman or a summoner wizard?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I was thinking hunter shaman myself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Are Warforged immortal? I understand massive damage and coup de grace can kill them, but, if they take 10 or better of roll on Death Saving Throws, then they can't be killed by Death Saving Throws. Just asking because a player in my game picked the race.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

They don't really die of age, and if they get knocked unconscious they can just remain in unconscious death stasis forever.

They'll probably get up eventually, but being knocked the gently caress out isn't really an extended rest, so once they run out of healing surges they just... lay there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
iirc there's a lore bit about experiments where they buried warforged who later went mad from isolation and claustrophobia, so while I think their bodies are functionally immortal it's entirely possible their souls/minds aren't equipped to live with the idea of immortality.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think the idea is that they can handle being alive as long as they have things to do. Warforged pick up hobbies and usually when they're doing the night watch they're also maintaining weapons, whittling, something to pass the time while they're the only conscious one.

Locking them in complete darkness with nothing to do would drive anyone insane.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NachtSieger posted:

, but being knocked the gently caress out isn't really an extended rest, so once they run out of healing surges they just... lay there.
For a hundred years until accidentally reawoken by a small child. Then they have an adventure together that's heartwarming and/or disturbing and nightmarish, depending on the DM.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kurieg posted:

I think the idea is that they can handle being alive as long as they have things to do. Warforged pick up hobbies and usually when they're doing the night watch they're also maintaining weapons, whittling, something to pass the time while they're the only conscious one.

Locking them in complete darkness with nothing to do would drive anyone insane.

It only usually takes a week or two, let alone years, and even cons don't get buried alive in complete darkness.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dont even fink about it posted:

It only usually takes a week or two, let alone years, and even cons don't get buried alive in complete darkness.

Had anyone played an adventurer that had been petrified but still conscious for centuries?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Had anyone played an adventurer that had been petrified but still conscious for centuries?

I played one that was an oak tree for long enough for it to grow to maturity, then came out as a dryad.

But she was conscious and communicative the whole time, advising her village who hosed up the ritual to save her from death, and learning astral projection.

And it was LFR, so her backstory came up like twice.

She was a Shaman|Cleric, in case it matters.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I played an animate suit of armor that once belonged to a paladin that died slaying an ancient dragon, and lain unmoving, staring at a pile of gold for untold centuries, until all sense and memory had been lost.

Plot twist was it wasn't the Paladin's spirit animating the armor, it was the Dragon's, but it had spent so long thinking it was the Paladin (and therefore "good") it wasn't really inclined to go on any angry rampages.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I have, but RPing the desire to scream with no mouth for centuries isn't particularly interesting or fun.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Getting stuck in the ground was how my Warforged became a Warden, though nobody ever asked.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kurieg posted:

I played an animate suit of armor that once belonged to a paladin that died slaying an ancient dragon, and lain unmoving, staring at a pile of gold for untold centuries, until all sense and memory had been lost.

Plot twist was it wasn't the Paladin's spirit animating the armor, it was the Dragon's, but it had spent so long thinking it was the Paladin (and therefore "good") it wasn't really inclined to go on any angry rampages.
Can I steal this concept? For a character or NPC, I'm not sure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sure, go ahead.

I ran it as a shardmind so I could "embed" the armor and I think I took the epic destiny that turns you into a dragon.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The Dark Sun one, or is there another one?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

There's another one, Avangion just gives you dragon wings made out of light. The one I'm thinking of gives you a daily power that lets you turn into a great wyrm for the rest of that combat.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Kurieg posted:

There's another one, Avangion just gives you dragon wings made out of light. The one I'm thinking of gives you a daily power that lets you turn into a great wyrm for the rest of that combat.

Draconic Incarnation.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

The 4E default setting was extremely good. I loved its metaphysical setup, and the overall thing was flexible enough to potentially include any specific detail someone might like from another setting (Sigil was canon, for instance, iirc) but was much simpler to describe and much easier to sprinkle with unexplored or inexplicable material.

Supernal vs. Primordial was a way cooler metaphysical ur-conflict than good vs. evil, and the difference between devils and demons in 4e was better-drawn AND better mechanically supported than anywhere else in D&D.

I like the Great Wheel cosmology better. It's cheesy but D&D is cheesy as gently caress to begin with. Everything else about PoL was pretty cool though.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is there no way to become a hosed up Dark Sun Dragon?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
There is, it's called Dragon King, but you have to be a Dark Sun character because it requires arcane defiling. Avangion is the preserver equivalent and only requires an arcane class so anybody could theoretically pick it up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SunAndSpring posted:

I like the Great Wheel cosmology better. It's cheesy but D&D is cheesy as gently caress to begin with. Everything else about PoL was pretty cool though.

Lawful evil devils versus chaotic evil demons is just way worse than astral devils versus primordial demons. Ditto for angels versus eladrin or whatever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What are the key components of an ongoing damage-oriented rogue? I probably want to penalize enemy saves, right? The building blocks are harder to piece together than for other things.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ongoing damage kind of sucks in 4E because it relies on 1) the target not saving and 2) combat to last long enough to get good use out of it. 4E combat is best when it only lasts a handful of rounds, because each round takes forever already. 4E combat also waaaaaaaay favors burst damage, because the best form of control is "dead"; an enemy who will take 10 damage at the end of its turn can still attack until it hits 0 hit points.

Ferrinus posted:

Lawful evil devils versus chaotic evil demons is just way worse than astral devils versus primordial demons. Ditto for angels versus eladrin or whatever.

Basically anything related to alignment is bad, so getting away from alignment is good.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Nah the Lawful Evil vs Chaotic Evil slap-fight going on in the past editions was campy and fun. Primordial vs astral just sounds boring.