Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Charliegrs posted:

A thing a LOT of white people say and feel actually...

Sure, but not in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Pevan Stan is mentally ill and only comes into threads to post derails about his pure and chaste women being stolen. Just ignore and move on.

Anyways, has anything concrete come out of the North-South dialogue yet? They obviously agreed to allow the North into the Olympics, and I read that they agreed to formal military dialogues, but nothing more specific than that.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

mlmp08 posted:

-A thing no one said.

-Someone who has never been to freerepublic.com

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jagged Jim posted:

-Someone who has never been to freerepublic.com

Context is very hard.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

TsarZiedonis posted:

Pevan Stan is mentally ill and only comes into threads to post derails about his pure and chaste women being stolen. Just ignore and move on.

Anyways, has anything concrete come out of the North-South dialogue yet? They obviously agreed to allow the North into the Olympics, and I read that they agreed to formal military dialogues, but nothing more specific than that.

We probably won't hear more than rumours and possibly-maybes until the talks close. That or the impotent orange starts screaming and they need to toss a bone to stop him from ruining what little progress is being made.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

someone link the posts where peven stan does the things people itt say he does because i yet to see it, just a bunch of disingenuous misreadings from bloodthirsty windbags

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Will his rap sheet suffice?

... hey, you're on there!

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

He was no angel, maybe he should have complied etc.

Peven Stan posted:

I'm sure US soldiers shooting koreans for mutinying will go over well with the SK public

Peven Stan posted:

America should abandon South Korea because some sexpat english teacher got chapped is good foreign policy

Peven Stan posted:

White people are cowards and lack the fortitude to chase the North Koreans up into their mountainous hidey holes they they have been preparing for more than 50 years.

Peven Stan posted:

Hire 👏more 👏poc 👏war 👏 criminals

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

These seem like jokes, I Love Annie May.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

R. Guyovich posted:

I guess the end result is the same, at least. Ignore the posts, because they lack any meaningful substance.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 11, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, Moon Jae-In has given Trump credit for getting the two parties talking, which seems completely odd to me, but maybe he's trying to improve U.S. relations.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/10/trump-deserves-big-credit-for-sparking-north-korea-talks-south-koreas-president-says.html

E: durrr, it's Fox News. Probably a rum do, sorry.

LeoMarr posted:

Im going to rejoon the army if we invade korea. Im honestly happy to be able to return to nk... this time with a gun

Good to see you're still a completely hosed in the brain shitposter with no clue :getout:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well, I agree with Moon that Trump's language probably led to the DPRK speaking directly with the ROK. But that can be 100% true without reaching any positive conclusion about the wisdom of the administration's rhetoric.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

President Moon not wanting to alienate the US makes sense given improved relations with the North isn't guaranteed to last beyond a month or so.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/951565990026006528

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

:confused:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

President Moon not wanting to alienate the US makes sense given improved relations with the North isn't guaranteed to last beyond a month or so.

Eh, they want part of the Olympic spotlight. Authoritarian regimes with a focus on nationalism and/or race have always loved that poo poo. While you won't see any lasting concessions or anything from the DPRK to get it, if given the opportunity they probably will dial things back at least until the games are over if it gets them that sweet propaganda op. If they feel they've driven things too far off the rails lately it's also a great excuse to dial things back again to a more comfortable level of mutual belligerence without losing face.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 11, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Considering who we're talking about here, I find it plausible that he's just legitimately forgotten who Kim Jong-un is and thinks he's talking about someone else.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Indication that he potentially forgot in the moment that Kim Jong Un is Rocket Man.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Mister Olympus posted:

Indication that he potentially forgot in the moment that Kim Jong Un is Rocket Man.

:stonklol:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

Even the much pilloried joke about jungle asians was taken from liberal asian american darling ali wong's baby cobra special on netflix

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I guess the end result is the same, at least. Ignore the posts, because they lack any meaningful substance.

Agreed, but what about Peven Stan's?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

chitoryu12 posted:

Considering who we're talking about here, I find it plausible that he's just legitimately forgotten who Kim Jong-un is and thinks he's talking about someone else.

i hate that i can't tell you this post is wrong and dumb

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Got a ticket to the Men's Half Pipe Final on Feb 14th.

Got a love motel in Gangneung, the 13th, triple the normal price at 180,000 Won.

My wife just got me train tickets at the station. This means I am one of the lucky ones, because the pecularaties of Korean geography and calendar are going to absolutely gently caress over thousands of foreigners. (For context I've lived here for 8 years)

First of all, if you go on Bookings.com or whatever app you like and put in Pyeongchang you are going to be offered a pension (Konglish for cabin) in the mountain near a small village named Pyeongchang in the middle of nowhere. It would literally take you 10 hours by bus to get to the main Olympic stadium from there.

I actually accidently booked one of these, but realized my mistake in a couple of minutes and canceled for free. Then I managed to get a ratty looking love motel room close to the Gangneung train station. Lots of foreigners with no experience with Korea are going to find themselves in random mountain cabins in the middle of nowhere.

Then I bought a train ticket to Pyeongchang on the 13th, but I shouldn't have done that. I needed to get one for Gangneung instead. That's easy to fix, just go down to the station and exchange. It's the train back on the 14th that was the problem. The 14th-18th are the Lunar New Year. And train tickets on those days, only go on sale at 9am KST on January 17th. KTX tickets then sell out within half an hour nation wide. This is not something generally known to foreign tourists, who are going to show up and not be able to get train tickets. What's worse, is that even if you have already purchased the Olympics KTX pass, for those five days you have to go on line and reserve specific seats for those days. So, there are alot of people who will show that think they have tickets, but won't.

Also, very few people in Gangwando speak English, so it's going to be hard for foreigners to get around in general. At least the signs all have English on them.

https://www.koreaexpose.com/korails-pyeongchang-olympic-discrimination/

quote:

until the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics open on Feb. 9, another issue is getting foreign visitors worked up. This time, it’s ticket bookings for the new KTX (high speed rail) line that connects Incheon International Airport, Seoul and key new stations in the Olympic zone.

The culprit? South Korea’s Lunar New Year public holiday period, which falls on Feb. 16. The Lunar New Year and autumn Harvest Festival holidays are notorious for transport overload, with trains pre-booked up at lightning speed and highways blocked with bumper-to-bumper traffic as South Koreans head out of Seoul to visit families in the provinces. Korail, South Korea’s national railway operator, runs special pre-booking periods for these periods: This year, the Lunar New Year period is Feb. 14 – 18, for which booking opens on Jan. 17.

The problem is that this busy travel period falls bang in the middle of the Olympics, and foreigners who have already purchased five- or seven-day Pyeongchang Korail Passes are not happy about still being unable to get tickets for Feb. 14 to 18. (Pyeongchang Korail Passes are supposed to allow unlimited train travel during a fixed term but its holders still must make advance booking in order to secure seats.)

A member of staff at Korail’s hotline (1599-7777) answered, in English, that online reservations for Feb. 14-18 journeys would be available 4pm South Korean local time on Jan. 17 on the English-language version of https://www.letskorail.com or from 9-11am at railway stations nationwide on the same day.

But online booking via a special temporary public holiday booking site that exists only in Korean opens on the same day at 6am, putting non-Korean speakers at a 10-hour disadvantage — an eternity in public holiday train ticket booking terms.

“Last year all the KTX seats around the country sold out in about 30 minutes, so there’s virtually zero chance of any Olympic visitors getting seats — even if you have already bought a Pyeongchang KOFAIL pass,” wrote Reddit user zaskquatch (emphasis and sarcastic acronym in original).

A media affairs official from Korail, requesting anonymity as usual, effectively admitted that Korail’s decision to only run a Korean version of the temporary booking site was in order to give priority to South Koreans traveling during the holiday period.

“It happens to coincide with the Olympic period this time, but we have to put people traveling because of the public holiday first,” he said. The official added that standing tickets may still be available for those who miss out on the chance to book a seat.

Elsewhere, Korail’s English language site shows signs of international confusion. Visitors purchasing a Pyeongchang Korail Pass are forced to select their nationality from a drop-down list of countries that includes only 97 of the world’s 195-odd states, adds at least two defunct ones (Yugoslavia and Zaire), and misspells many more.

On Korail’s English-language Q&A pages, 38 puzzled and angry inquiries date back to Jan. 5. Among them was a message from “Olympic Spectator,” who wrote,

“Foreigners are spending thousands of dollars and we will be left in the dust. Korail is just opening themselves to a class action lawsuit for damages based on discrimination. As a Korean American, I am embarrassed such travesty is raising its ugly head when all the eyes of the world are focusing on the Olympics. Shame on you Korail. Your actions are truly repugnant.”

Meanwhile, YouTube user Amy Moncure pointed out that foreign credit cards cannot be used at some railway stations in the Olympic zone, further undermining South Korea’s claims to be a hub of smart technology.

Transportation woes come in the wake of a widely reported accommodation problems involving hotels and other properties in the Pyeongchang and nearby Gangneung area.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
...this is going to be preposterously hilarious and I hope to see more posts about it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

My girlfriend wanted to go see the Olympics, but seemed really turned off by the idea after New Year's Eve, which was a transportation nightmare. Just seems satisfied watching it on TV now.

I'm more interested in the Paralympics myself. They keep showing those legless hockey players in the Olympics promotion ads and I'm always thinking oh hells yeah these guys look awesome. I wonder if trying to travel in March would be more tolerable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Going to the Paralympics is a great way to save an arm and a leg.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/953616752159744000

Huh.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hahaha.

quote:

"It is not the time to ease pressure or to reward North Korea," Mr Kono said, according to Reuters news agency. "The fact that North Korea is engaging in dialogue could be interpreted as proof that the sanctions are working."

"The sanctions must be working if North Korea is agreeing to negotiate. Therefore we should definitely not negotiate with North Korea."

What exactly do these people think the purpose of sanctions is supposed to be? Because if the end-goal isn't negotiated talks then the only other one that comes to mind is the destruction of the North Korean state and yeah, no poo poo they're not going to cooperate with you on that one chief.

But please. More news stories like this, explicitly stating that we're the ones who aren't negotiating in good faith when the worst case scenario is nuclear war. Hawaiians get too much sleep anyway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Some Guy TT posted:

Hahaha.

"The sanctions must be working if North Korea is agreeing to negotiate. Therefore we should definitely not negotiate with North Korea."

What exactly do these people think the purpose of sanctions is supposed to be? Because if the end-goal isn't negotiated talks then the only other one that comes to mind is the destruction of the North Korean state and yeah, no poo poo they're not going to cooperate with you on that one chief.

But please. More news stories like this, explicitly stating that we're the ones who aren't negotiating in good faith when the worst case scenario is nuclear war. Hawaiians get too much sleep anyway.

Pretty funny that you believe any sovereign party involved in Korea in *checks calendar* 113 years has been acting in good faith.

Also yeah, anyone sane seeks the destruction of the North Korean state, it has literally no legit reason to exist.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

fishmech posted:

Pretty funny that you believe any sovereign party involved in Korea the entire planet in *checks calendar* 113 years all recorded history has been acting in good faith.

Fixed that for you.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Although on second thought...why did you use 1905 for the start off date when everyone in Korea starts acting in bad faith? Because that implies that the late Joseon government that invited Japanese soldiers into the country to put down peasant revolts, and also the Japanese government that sent them, were acting in good faith. It also implies that the unequal treaties Korea was forced to sign in the late nineteenth century were also in good faith, when the entire reason why we call them unequal treaties is because they were laughably awful bad faith agreements.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Some Guy TT posted:

Although on second thought...why did you use 1905 for the start off date when everyone in Korea starts acting in bad faith? Because that implies that the late Joseon government that invited Japanese soldiers into the country to put down peasant revolts, and also the Japanese government that sent them, were acting in good faith. It also implies that the unequal treaties Korea was forced to sign in the late nineteenth century were also in good faith, when the entire reason why we call them unequal treaties is because they were laughably awful bad faith agreements.

Because 1905 is last year before full protectorate was in effect. The dying Korean Joseon government seems to have been acting in good faith as the Japanese slowly bind them and then seize sovereignty through the protectorate.

Not sure why you think this implies the Japanese acted in good faith too?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Good faith by whose definition? International governments? Those were peasant revolts. Joseon invited in foreign troops to crush internal dissent, and in short order the country's aristocracy gladly sold out the entire country to the Japanese just to solidify their power on the corpse of a dying government. These weren't defensible actions. Not even South Koreans believe their leaders were acting in their best interests back then.

fishmech posted:

Not sure why you think this implies the Japanese acted in good faith too?

Because you wrote "involved in" in response to a snarky remark I made about the Japanese minister accidentally revealing that their position is negotiation with North Korea is always bad. That implies that foreign powers, and not just Korean ones, were covered in your statement about good faith. Unless you're suggesting that Korean governments and only Korean governments have been acting in bad faith over the last hundred years, which is pretty inherently weird since they didn't even have a government under the protectorate.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I was under the impression that everyone was acting in bad faith, but the annexation of 1910 marked the point where no-one had to be subtle about it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Some Guy TT posted:

Good faith by whose definition? International governments? Those were peasant revolts. Joseon invited in foreign troops to crush internal dissent, and in short order the country's aristocracy gladly sold out the entire country to the Japanese just to solidify their power on the corpse of a dying government. These weren't defensible actions. Not even South Koreans believe their leaders were acting in their best interests back then.

Because you wrote "involved in" in response to a snarky remark I made about the Japanese minister accidentally revealing that their position is negotiation with North Korea is always bad. That implies that foreign powers, and not just Korean ones, were covered in your statement about good faith. Unless you're suggesting that Korean governments and only Korean governments have been acting in bad faith over the last hundred years, which is pretty inherently weird since they didn't even have a government under the protectorate.

So your belief is that the Korean empires intentionally sabotaged themselves just to spite themselves, ok. Seems weird to believe but since you frequently try to act like North Korea has any right to exist I guess it at least fits your characterization of the Korean people.

Ah so you read it that way because you're incapable of reading and just want to whine about how poor plucky North Korea is being wronged. Are you really unable to read the part where I said the sovereign actors? There was no Korean sovereign actors at all from 1905 to 1948 and from 1948 onwards the Korean sovereign actors have hardly operated in good faith towards each other ever.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Notwithstanding all of this... what I find interesting about the recent developments is that it shows how the US's insistence on denuclearization as a prerequisite to talks eventually worked to NK's advantage; the US having lost the opportunity to play a part in them has resulted in several cases where the lack of desire for war in South Korea was evident, and the possibility of a nuclear-armed NK that is not a pariah seemed slightly more imaginable - all without North Korea ceding anything. While I don't buy the administration's argument that North Korea's desire to reunite the peninsula means that Kim will use nukes to accomplish that and cannot be deterred, I do think that they are working to drive a wedge between SK and the US, with the long-term goal of US withdrawal. Both the beginnings of dialogue and solidarity between SK and NK and Trump's obvious lack of care for Korean lives help greatly in this.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

I was under the impression that everyone was acting in bad faith, but the annexation of 1910 marked the point where no-one had to be subtle about it.

Pretty much. Koreans mark that date as 1907, since that was the year the King sent people to the Hague conference and that's when they realized the Europeans were complete hypocrites, but the colonial powers themselves already knew that.

fishmech posted:

So your belief is that the Korean empires intentionally sabotaged themselves just to spite themselves, ok. Seems weird to believe but since you frequently try to act like North Korea has any right to exist I guess it at least fits your characterization of the Korean people.

Uh, no, they (and by "they" I mean the Korean aristocracy) intentionally sabotaged their own government because the alternative was reforms to the advantage of peasants that would result in them having slightly smaller giant stacks of money. What "characterization of the Korean people" do you think I have that's so unusual? The idea that they have class struggle just like literally every other national culture on the planet?

quote:

Ah so you read it that way because you're incapable of reading and just want to whine about how poor plucky North Korea is being wronged. Are you really unable to read the part where I said the sovereign actors? There was no Korean sovereign actors at all from 1905 to 1948 and from 1948 onwards the Korean sovereign actors have hardly operated in good faith towards each other ever.

Just admit you made a bad post dude. You're embarrassing yourself. Attacking me for having a non nuke them all stance on North Korea is especially stupid because this is all basic history that predates North Korea's existence.

Mozi posted:

Notwithstanding all of this... what I find interesting about the recent developments is that it shows how the US's insistence on denuclearization as a prerequisite to talks eventually worked to NK's advantage; the US having lost the opportunity to play a part in them has resulted in several cases where the lack of desire for war in South Korea was evident, and the possibility of a nuclear-armed NK that is not a pariah seemed slightly more imaginable - all without North Korea ceding anything. While I don't buy the administration's argument that North Korea's desire to reunite the peninsula means that Kim will use nukes to accomplish that and cannot be deterred, I do think that they are working to drive a wedge between SK and the US, with the long-term goal of US withdrawal. Both the beginnings of dialogue and solidarity between SK and NK and Trump's obvious lack of care for Korean lives help greatly in this.

The funny thing is even Trump isn't dumb enough to say poo poo like "the North Korean state has no right to exist" because such a hardline stance would immediately make it clear that we're the reason the situation isn't de-escalating, not the North Koreans. Even if you want to play Miss Cleo and argue that literally everything North Korea does is a cover for their long term plan of world domination, the fact remains that they are at least making a visible effort.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Some Guy TT posted:

Uh, no, they (and by "they" I mean the Korean aristocracy) intentionally sabotaged their own government because the alternative was reforms to the advantage of peasants that would result in them having slightly smaller giant stacks of money. What "characterization of the Korean people" do you think I have that's so unusual? The idea that they have class struggle just like literally every other national culture on the planet?

Just admit you made a bad post dude. You're embarrassing yourself. Attacking me for having a non nuke them all stance on North Korea is especially stupid because this is all basic history that predates North Korea's existence.

So your contention is that Korean Empire always was acting in bad faith with regards to themselves and their plan all along was to get eaten up by the Japanese culminating in the protectorate of 1905 and the annexation of 1910? Sorry but that sounds bullshit bro.

I didn't make a bad post, you made a whole bunch of bad posts and your latest sets involve you reading "none of the sovereign actors have been operating in good faith since the 1905 protectorate" as "the Japanese are acting in good faith", which was and is an insane reading. Also pretty funny that you think the only choices are "nuke them all" or "support North Korea's existence".

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

The nefarious Oriental always acts in bad faith, a unique actor in realpolitik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

fishmech posted:

So your contention is that Korean Empire always was acting in bad faith with regards to themselves and their plan all along was to get eaten up by the Japanese culminating in the protectorate of 1905 and the annexation of 1910? Sorry but that sounds bullshit bro.

No you loving twat my contention is that the Korean aristocracy was acting in bad faith to the lower classes of the country because they wanted to get rich working for the Japanese, an assertion supported by the fact that this is exactly what happened. I'd ask you to read literally any Korean history book on the topic but I am unsure at this point whether you actually know how to read.

quote:

I didn't make a bad post, you made a whole bunch of bad posts and your latest sets involve you reading "none of the sovereign actors have been operating in good faith since the 1905 protectorate" as "the Japanese are acting in good faith", which was and is an insane reading.

So you don't consider the Japanese to be sovereign actors on the Korean peninsula during the 1905 protectorate? That's...an interesting definition of sovereign.

quote:

Also pretty funny that you think the only choices are "nuke them all" or "support North Korea's existence".

Enlighten me as to what the the other choices are. Sanction them to death doesn't count, since we're already doing that and it's not working.