Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lamebot posted:

Europe sent all their failsons to die in a little thing called World War I & II, just a thought.

Yes, WW2, an inconsequential war good for liquidating garbage people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Crowsbeak posted:

Generally a good rule of thumb, beyond the obvious poo poo like anything suggesting special forces is the more medals, the more likely you got a fake.

afaik those are service badges and not medals, so they could mean anything

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

wait how many different kinds of gold stars do soldiers need????????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
its kind of funny that the term used to represent a family who made the ultimate sacrifice of one of their sons or daughters is also a term used to reward toddlers for coloring in all the lines

because what the toddler did was far more impressive

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Boston was way more significant than people thought. It should be viewed as a companion to Cville in its significance. Imagine if 50 antifascists faced down 15,000 fash. Yikes. Just yikes.

It would register as a sea-change and call for a complete refocusing of tactics. It would have been demoralizing and terrifying. It certainly wouldn't have been "fun". However, I doubt that most of even the casual antifascists would stop participating in the movement. Why? Because the politics of anti-fascism are based on actual struggle. The pepe kids simply went out with the giddy sense that they would have a good time with their bros while humiliating their enemy.

Think back to what is arguably the first incident of proto-alt right rally fuckery: Lawrence Scarsella and his friend gleefully flashing their gun and referencing 4chan memes in the car on their way to "troll" (and eventually open fire upon) a Black Lives Matter protest in Minneapolis. It was all a joke, until it suddenly revealed itself not to be on the pull of a trigger. Perhaps he opened fire after feeling that it wasn't fun anymore, that their fantasy world had been intruded upon by real-world resistance. If they hadn't opened fire, they'd be wearing helicopter ride shirts a year and a half later, holsters chaffing under their khakis.

Fun is the main motivator for the stickboy-orbiter wannabes. Fun goes well with brotherhood. The Proud Boys enjoyed success because they provided both, with their frat-like setup. Going out for drinks and going to punch SJWs on the streets were both basically equivalent to them psychologically. The streets had the added bonus that they got to feel like a manly soldier humiliating their enemy, an enemy that wanted to take away their fun. It's no coincidence that many edgelord dudes became radicalized by gamergate and the anita poo poo. They felt like someone had come to take their videogames, and ruin their fun.

It's fking obvious to anyone that the real threat that leftists and feminists pose to these chuds is not to their "fun", but their power. White dudes have too much power compared to other groups in society. However, to the all too typical breed of dude who wraps himself up in a kek flag, the distinction between "power" and "fun" is pretty drat blurry. Trolling is an expression of power meant to entertain you. Videogames are often power fantasies. Treating women like poo poo is about power too. I'm sure it's a form of disgusting entertainment for the perpetrators as well.

So then you get something like Boston, where you are utterly and humiliatingly outnumbered. Thousands of voices thunder over yours. You can barely hear yourself speak. You're sweating under your helmet, feeling pretty cringey now because you're all dressed up for combat and looking ridiculous. Nobody can see your lovely placard, covered in memes, because the police have a 200 yard barrier. All the other fash are standing around on their phones. You can smell pizza wafting over from the antifascist side, and you kick yourself for only bringing a single funsize bag of doritos.

You're weak. This ain't fun.

You don't come back out next time.

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Jan 17, 2018

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

In 2018 most people who do trade games a lot are white dudes in their 20s-30s with spare cash

You know who likes to tell you about their stupid ideas like why that dude who did coordinated harassment to the point that a very visible member of the MtG Community quit the game over it shouldn't be banned from playing

Those guys

I got transwoman, a regular woman, a black dude and 2 other white dudes at my monthly twilight imperium game.
Most of the MtG people I see at my game shop are black dudes.

Pokémon CCG and 40k are all white dudes tho.

EDIT: Wow, like 20 pages too late.

The Dipshit has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Jan 17, 2018

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Nebakenezzer posted:

there's actually some truth to that

the vietnam war caused a hell of a lot of poor/minority deaths amongst the boomer generation which (along with other factors such as lead gasoline and other mass used chemicals) is one of the many reasons they're so much more conservative than every other generation before and since

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Nebakenezzer posted:

It made Germany and Japan pretty docile, you have to admit. :thunk:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
also speaking of mass death from war being actually a good thing, genghis khan killed so many people with his wars he actually caused a global cooling spell

https://amp.theguardian.com/theguardian/2011/jan/26/genghis-khan-eco-warrior

death owns

:killing:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gringostar posted:

there's actually some truth to that

the vietnam war caused a hell of a lot of poor/minority deaths amongst the boomer generation which (along with other factors such as lead gasoline and other mass used chemicals) is one of the many reasons they're so much more conservative than every other generation before and since

It's true in Vietnam, though that's the opposite point lamebot was making, (since I assumed he meant fascists dying, not the underclass.) Also I was saying that maybe reducing world war 2 to 'liquidating all those people you don't like' is a pig-fuckingly awful thing to say considering that was literally the attitude of the fascists that the Allies were fighting against

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol. she doesnt even do games poo poo anymore. not even her broke brained ex head writer/producer who got sacked after screaming about Doom at e3 doesn't really talk/bitch/critque games anymore. why is Ser Fuckface so triggered.

Bullfrog posted:

Boston was way more significant than people thought. It should be viewed as a companion to Cville in its significance. Imagine if 50 antifascists faced down 15,000 fash. Yikes. Just yikes.

It would register as a sea-change and call for a complete refocusing of tactics. It would have been demoralizing and terrifying. It certainly wouldn't have been "fun". However, I doubt that most of even the casual antifascists would stop participating in the movement. Why? Because the politics of anti-fascism is based on actual struggle. The pepe kids simply went out with the giddy sense that they would have a good time with their bros while humiliating their enemy.

Think back to what is arguably the first incident of proto-alt right rally fuckery: Lawrence Scarsella and his friend gleefully flashing their gun and referencing 4chan memes in the car on their way to "troll" (and eventually open fire upon) a Black Lives Matter protest in Minneapolis. It was all a joke, until it suddenly revealed itself not to be on the pull of a trigger. Perhaps he opened fire after feeling that it wasn't fun anymore, that their fantasy world had been intruded upon by real-world resistance. If they hadn't opened fire, they'd be wearing helicopter ride shirts a year and a half later, holsters chaffing under their khakis.

Fun is the main motivator for the stickboy-orbiter wannabes. Fun goes well with brotherhood. The Proud Boys enjoyed success because they provided both, with their frat-like setup. Going out for drinks and going to punch SJWs on the streets were both basically equivalent to them psychologically. The streets had the added bonus that you got to feel like a manly soldier humiliating your enemy, an enemy that wanted to take away your fun. It's no coincidence that many edgelord dudes became radicalized by gamergate and the anita poo poo. They felt like someone had come to take their videogames, and ruin their fun.

It's fking obvious to anyone that the real threat that leftists and feminists pose to these chuds is not to their "fun", but their power. White dudes have too much power compared to other groups in society. However, to the all too typical breed of dude who wraps himself up in a kek flag, the distinction between "power" and "fun" is pretty drat blurry. Trolling is an expression of power meant to entertain you. Videogames are often power fantasies. Treating women like poo poo is about power too. I'm sure it's a form of disgusting entertainment for the perpetrators too.

So then you get something like Boston, where you are utterly and humiliatingly outnumbered. Thousands of voices thunder over yours. You can barely hear yourself speak. You're sweating under your helmet, feeling pretty cringey now because you're all dressed up for combat and looking ridiculous. Nobody can see your lovely placard, covered in memes, because the police have a 200 yard barrier. All the other fash are standing around on their phones. You can smell pizza wafting over from the antifascist side, and you kick yourself for only bringing a single funsize bag of doritos.

You're weak. This ain't fun.

this. everyone was worried Boston would be another Cville. instead we thankfully got this. i guess the nazis were really hurt by Cville.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

edgelords become nazis to freak out the normies

antisocial basement dwellers become nazis because they feel weak and powerless and want to feel strong for once in their lives

cville scared off the first group and Boston the second, so what’s left are the true believers and the terminally irony poisoned

and that’s not really a lot of people

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

edgelords become nazis to freak out the normies

antisocial basement dwellers become nazis because they feel weak and powerless and want to feel strong for once in their lives

cville scared off the first group and Boston the second, so what’s left are the true believers and the terminally irony poisoned

and that’s not really a lot of people

punch em where you find em

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lawrence of Hyperborea

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Wasn't the rally crew at boston just a bunch of randos and one insane guy running for senator? The main alt-right orgs checked out at Cville terrified of cops and antifas while somehow murdering a white woman at the same time, I think they knocked the gas out of themselves and Boston just set an example of what to expect.

I still think Jason Kessler getting run out of town by an angry mob is the funniest, coolest, best thing to come around in America for a while.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If we had 50 Antifa vs. 15,000 Nazis we'd have ended up with 50 dead Antifa. All of us would be keeping an extremely low profile and swapping tips on how to properly claim refugee status in Canada.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Wasn't the rally crew at boston just a bunch of randos and one insane guy running for senator? The main alt-right orgs checked out at Cville terrified of cops and antifas while somehow murdering a white woman at the same time, I think they knocked the gas out of themselves and Boston just set an example of what to expect.

I still think Jason Kessler getting run out of town by an angry mob is the funniest, coolest, best thing to come around in America for a while.

It was about 20 high-school kids, a crazy man who thinks he invented email, some white chicks who made up a non-rasta religion about weed, Kyle Chapman, and an Alex Jones correspondent.

The next rally had three high-school kids and about 50 militia crazies and burly skinheads, plus Kyle Chapman.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeroisanumber posted:

If we had 50 Antifa vs. 15,000 Nazis we'd have ended up with 50 dead Antifa. All of us would be keeping an extremely low profile and swapping tips on how to properly claim refugee status in Canada.

What's really ironic is that the core idea of fascism is that people are stronger when working together in larger groups with a common cause.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

osirisisdead posted:

What's really ironic is that the core idea of fascism is that people are stronger when working together in larger groups with a common cause.

That's not really accurate- fascism's core idea is really that nature is built on hierarchies- predators over prey, male over female, masters over slaves, stronger races over the weak. Yes, there's strength in numbers, but it's less about "let's work together and be strong" and more "if everybody knows their place and doesn't defy the natural order, we can assert our proper place as a nation and a people above everybody else".

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
yeah and we see that in the few actual fascist rallies where it's all about posing and standing in ranks while wearing those uniforms. if only i stand really firm like a statue then my dragonball-z nazi powers will reveal themselves and blow over the opposition *slips on banana peel*

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
"And this... is to go even further beyond!" *Uses safety pin and ink from a broken pen to tattoo a swastika on forehead*

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

business hammocks posted:

It was about 20 high-school kids, a crazy man who thinks he invented email, some white chicks who made up a non-rasta religion about weed, Kyle Chapman, and an Alex Jones correspondent.

The next rally had three high-school kids and about 50 militia crazies and burly skinheads, plus Kyle Chapman.

lol wait that shiva ayyadurai guy was at the rally?

i dont know anythinga bout him except that he sucks because one of the biggest alt-right morons i know used his picture as an av for a while

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pope Guilty posted:

That's not really accurate- fascism's core idea is really that nature is built on hierarchies- predators over prey, male over female, masters over slaves, stronger races over the weak. Yes, there's strength in numbers, but it's less about "let's work together and be strong" and more "if everybody knows their place and doesn't defy the natural order, we can assert our proper place as a nation and a people above everybody else".

That might be a part of the strategy of fascism, that social darwinism biotruths stuff, but also, fascism's symbol is a bundle of sticks (fasces) tied around an axe... which always makes me wonder about the etymology behind why people also use that for a slur for homosexual men.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cumshitter posted:

lol wait that shiva ayyadurai guy was at the rally?

i dont know anythinga bout him except that he sucks because one of the biggest alt-right morons i know used his picture as an av for a while

He's all-in with them. He had some of them as campaign volunteers setting up a table downtown last month. At the nazi rally he had "black lives do matter" campaign signs, apparently in some kind of attempt to make it appear that BLM had endorsed him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

osirisisdead posted:

That might be a part of the strategy of fascism, that social darwinism biotruths stuff, but also, fascism's symbol is a bundle of sticks (fasces) tied around an axe... which always makes me wonder about the etymology behind why people also use that for a slur for homosexual men.

I think you're elevating iconography and etymology above actual theory here.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought that was how fascism gets popular appeal. i.e Meme magic, etc.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

osirisisdead posted:

which always makes me wonder about the etymology behind why people also use that for a slur for homosexual men.

There is no one answer but the best theory I heard was British private schools. The youngest kids had to gather firewood. I don't really want to spell out the rest, but now those British pedophile scandals make a lot more sense.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

osirisisdead posted:

The United States motto is "E pluribus unum" the idea predates fascism.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pope Guilty posted:

That long goal sounds awfully tautological

"Nature has an inherent hierarchical order, so if we acknowledge that natural order we can elevate the strong over the weak in order to ... reinforce the natural order"

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dmitri-9 posted:

That's specifically about the 13 colonies banding together in common cause, more solidarity...

I mean the Roman Empire used the fasces symbology as well and a lot of the ideology that we see now is explicitly trying to link back to that history of the Western Roman Empire.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

There is no one answer but the best theory I heard was British private schools. The youngest kids had to gather firewood. I don't really want to spell out the rest, but now those British pedophile scandals make a lot more sense.

gross

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

business hammocks posted:

He's all-in with them. He had some of them as campaign volunteers setting up a table downtown last month. At the nazi rally he had "black lives do matter" campaign signs, apparently in some kind of attempt to make it appear that BLM had endorsed him.

i just browsed his wikipedia and most of it is his boring fight to claim he invented email 30 years after the fact but the personal life section at the end stuck out

quote:

In June 2005, Ayyadurai was charged with assault & battery after his girlfriend called police to report he had pushed and shoved her during an argument. According to a police report detailing the incident, Ayyadurai allegedly resisted arrest and attempted to stab the arresting officer with a pen. After he was taken into custody, an emergency 209A restraining order was issued against Ayyadurai banning him from having contact with her.[65] In July 2017 this was revealed on The Howie Carr Show.[66][67]

Beginning in 2014, Ayyadurai was romantically connected with the actress Fran Drescher. On September 7, 2014, Ayyadurai and Drescher participated in a ceremony at Drescher's beach house. Both tweeted that they had gotten married,[68][69] and the event was widely reported as such.[70][71][72] Ayyadurai later said it was not "a formal wedding or marriage", but a celebration of their "friendship in a spiritual ceremony with close friends and her family".[73][74] The couple split up in September 2016.[75]

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

There's a bunch of weird shared imagery between the US and Nazi Germany because both stole heavily from imperial Rome. The fasces is in a bunch of places, for example.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Eugenics Movement started in California. Nazi Germany got a lot of their ideas from people in the US and there were also people who were calling to join the Axis during the war... and a lot of the anti-war folks were openly antisemitic...

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

osirisisdead posted:

The Eugenics Movement started in California. Nazi Germany got a lot of their ideas from people in the US and there were also people who were calling to join the Axis during the war... and a lot of the anti-war folks were openly antisemitic...

also a good chunk of americans went over to fight for germany before the us entered the war because they had german ancestry... and were fascists of course

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah this. Fascists aren't above collective action, so long as it is in service of the betters. But fascists detest collective action that uplifts those that need.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

osirisisdead posted:

which always makes me wonder about the etymology behind why people also use that for a slur for homosexual men.

Because you gather tied bundles of wood to burn them to death with.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bullfrog posted:

really good post imo

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeroisanumber posted:

Because you gather tied bundles of wood to burn them to death with.

I've heard that too, but I think it's apocryphal.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

E norvegia unum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't know all of them, but Sgt. Shithead saw combat in Afghanistan and earned some mid-level awards for it.