Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a tire inflator? I tried to fill up my tires at the gas station yesterday, and maneuvering their air hose around was just too much trouble; I'd rather be able to do it at home.

I'm specifically looking for something I plug into a wall outlet. Portable is not necessary, but that being said I'd go for something that ran on line current but also had an internal battery or the ability to take 12v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
If your not seating beads you can use a bicycle pump.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Capn Jobe posted:

Can anyone recommend a tire inflator? I tried to fill up my tires at the gas station yesterday, and maneuvering their air hose around was just too much trouble; I'd rather be able to do it at home.

I'm specifically looking for something I plug into a wall outlet. Portable is not necessary, but that being said I'd go for something that ran on line current but also had an internal battery or the ability to take 12v.

I keep this thing in my truck at all times, and use it at home in the driveway on the bikes. Works pretty fast, very handy little gadget.

Picture links to Amazon listing for it. It's one of my favorite car kit staples.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I had a Slime thing I got from Amazon that broke in like 3 days. I ended up replacing it with a Viair(?) which is still going strong.

E: for the bike tho I do use an old Nashbar floor pump for bicycles that is older than any of my kids and probably some of y'all.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 16, 2018

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you have the room for one, you can usually find refurbished pancake compressors like this one (Amazon link) for $100-ish that will be more versatile than something dedicated to filling tires. Add a tire chuck and off you go.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Seconding the VIAIR compressors, this was AI recommended and it's so much better than the typical lovely 12v compressors you'll see. Much quieter, faster, and the built in gauge seems to be very accurate as long as it's not actively running. You just screw it on, run for a bit, hit off and look at the pressure, then turn it back on as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
These are great suggestions for portable units, but I'm looking for something to plug into a wall outlet (I have an outdoor outlet right next to where I keep the bike). The linked pancake compressor or some variant sounds like a good idea, but ideally I'd like something a bit less expensive/bulky.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I have one of these and like it. It’s quite small and so far so good for just bike tires. Runs off the bike’s battery.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

builds character posted:

I have one of these and like it. It’s quite small and so far so good for just bike tires. Runs off the bike’s battery.

FB is pulling up a link of Lyndon Poskitt doing a wheelie in the desert - not sure if your link is screwed up or if it's on FB's end

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why not buy an actual air compressor off craigslist or whatever for like 80 bucks, buy a tyre gauge and go to town. That way you have a compressor useful for something other than filling tyres.

Something like this:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

builds character posted:

These are cool as gently caress

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Capn Jobe posted:

These are great suggestions for portable units, but I'm looking for something to plug into a wall outlet (I have an outdoor outlet right next to where I keep the bike). The linked pancake compressor or some variant sounds like a good idea, but ideally I'd like something a bit less expensive/bulky.

Anything less than $100 for a 110V air compressor is probably going to put you in Harbor Freight range, and I think air compressors fail the "will it kill me if it fails" part of that decision tree.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Oops. http://motopumps.com

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Capn Jobe posted:

I picked up one of these a week ago.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2-G...ASABEgKZbvD_BwE

small enough to stow in the back seat of my truck and good enough for really short bursts of work, along with it'll fill/inflate anything I have in short order.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Hey I wasn't trying to be snarky with the bike pump suggestion. What do you see as the benefit of an electric pump? A nice bike pump is going to be cheaper, lighter, and just as fast unless you have an overkill compressor sitting around for other stuff anyway.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dutymode posted:

Hey I wasn't trying to be snarky with the bike pump suggestion. What do you see as the benefit of an electric pump? A nice bike pump is going to be cheaper, lighter, and just as fast unless you have an overkill compressor sitting around for other stuff anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression was that there is no way a bike pump can get a moto tire to 36 psi or w/e.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It can it just takes loving forever.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If you're filling up the tar completely, yeah it sucks. But if you're going from track pressure to street pressure, or just fine-tuning once a week or whatever it's so much more convenient to just use a regular bicycle floor pump. It works well.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anything less than $100 for a 110V air compressor is probably going to put you in Harbor Freight range, and I think air compressors fail the "will it kill me if it fails" part of that decision tree.

I have a $99 refurbished pancake compressor (labeled DeWalt, not Porter Cable like the one I linked, but they're all made by Campbell Hausfeld anyway) and it's been working with no issues for the better part of ten years. I think Central Pneumatic makes the stuff Harbor Freight sells.

If it explodes I'll post here immediately, assuming I survive.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

pokie posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression was that there is no way a bike pump can get a moto tire to 36 psi or w/e.

That's why in my first post I had the seating beads caveat. Otherwise you're looking at portable pumps that run on 12V and take just as long as a manual bike pump or you may as well get a nice compressor that you'll use for other stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pokie posted:

Pressure isn't the problem -- a bike pump can get up to 100psi or more, since that's what you need for the super skinny racing bicycle tires. It's just that a bike tire has (very rough estimate) about a tenth of the air volume as a motorcycle tire, so it takes ten times as long to fill, and that's pretty exhausting.

I have used a bike pump in a pinch though.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Ya'll are crazy. Bike tires run at something like twice the psi of a motorcycle tire, and for my motorcycles I've rarely had to add more than a couple psi. It takes no more time than pumping up bicycle tires.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

Pressure isn't the problem -- a bike pump can get up to 100psi or more, since that's what you need for the super skinny racing bicycle tires. It's just that a bike tire has (very rough estimate) about a tenth of the air volume as a motorcycle tire, so it takes ten times as long to fill, and that's pretty exhausting.

Yeah, the volume delta was implied in my comment - I could have been clearer.

Well, thanks for learning me, dear goons.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

I have a $99 refurbished pancake compressor (labeled DeWalt, not Porter Cable like the one I linked, but they're all made by Campbell Hausfeld anyway) and it's been working with no issues for the better part of ten years. I think Central Pneumatic makes the stuff Harbor Freight sells.

If it explodes I'll post here immediately, assuming I survive.

Hm. How big of an air tool can you run on it?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Hm. How big of an air tool can you run on it?

Nothing big. I can break 5 lug nuts with a 1/2 inch impact, let it re-fill the tank while I change the wheel, and it will be ready for the next wheel, but that's about it. It's more useful for nailguns and the like. I have another compressor with a 25 gal tank for anything that needs a bigger supply (HVLP spray guns or the like), but neither of them can push enough CFM to run things like a jitterbug sander or an air grinder.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 18, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Nothing big. I can break 5 lug nuts with a 1/2 inch impact, let it re-fill the tank while I change the wheel, and it will be ready for the next wheel, but that's about it. It's more useful for nailguns and the like. I have another compressor with a 25 gal tank for anything that needs a bigger supply (HVLP spray guns or the like), but neither of them can push enough CFM to run things like a jitterbug sander or an air grinder.

Well poo poo, now I think I need one. What's an HVLP spray gun? Like the kind you repaint your deck with?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Well poo poo, now I think I need one. What's an HVLP spray gun? Like the kind you repaint your deck with?

You can spray most any kind of paint with them if it's thinned appropriately. It's just a type of spray gun that doesn't require a ton of pressure to use (most run around 40PSI). If you're planning on re-spraying a tank or body panels or some other project, that's the kind of paint gun you'd use.

The pancake compressor can run one for small projects no problem, but if you're spraying a lot the compressor motor will be running constantly. In an enclosed space, it's noisy as gently caress.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What about bead blasting? Can you blast beads onto rims?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

Can you blast beads onto rims?

Trying to make your ride more comfortable I see.

Unfortunately wooden seat beads have really poor wet grip and don't last very long so it isn't worth it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Get on my level. If I need a compressor, I run the box out and use the one hooked up to the air ride.
Wife has one of the pancake ones that’s intended to be mounted to the garage ceiling but she’s super short so it’s bolted to the wall in here somewhere.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

What about bead blasting? Can you blast beads onto rims?

Doing a decent job of bead blasting requires a lot of CFM, most sub-$500 compressors can't keep up with it

edit: maybe I misunderstood - I was talking about bead blasting as in media blasting. You can seat tire beads with a pancake compressor, it just requires a quick burst of high-ish PSI

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah I was being dumb and referring to seating a bead on a rim, as opposed to whatever method they used to make my GT Pantera shiny.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've been doing more freeway riding recently, partially because I've just been using the bike more, but also because I want to get more comfortable with it. One problem I keep having is my throttle hand just goes dead numb after about 20-30 minutes on the freeway. Well, not totally numb, because it also hurts like hell. If I slow down for ~10 seconds to take it off the throttle and wring it a bit, it gets better, but the cycle then repeats after another 20-30 minutes.

At first I thought I just needed to acclimate better to freeway riding, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better. It seems like it's a combination of the hand position when holding the throttle mostly-open, and the vibration. I have an inkling that different gloves may help; all I have now are a pair of Alpinestars SPX Air Carbon gloves.

Think different gloves would help? How have others dealt with this? Bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan S; it handles freeway speeds just fine but the engine is turning pretty fast when you get up to 70-75 mph.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are gripping too hard. Loosen your grip, and ride more. Make sure your arms aren't at a weird angle or whatever, but that's probably not happening.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're holding on way too tight and/or your throttle and lever position is horrible. What bike?

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Try taking the weight out of your elbows as well. I get palsy pretty bad (after an hour or so) on my outer digits.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Capn Jobe posted:

I've been doing more freeway riding recently, partially because I've just been using the bike more, but also because I want to get more comfortable with it. One problem I keep having is my throttle hand just goes dead numb after about 20-30 minutes on the freeway. Well, not totally numb, because it also hurts like hell. If I slow down for ~10 seconds to take it off the throttle and wring it a bit, it gets better, but the cycle then repeats after another 20-30 minutes.

At first I thought I just needed to acclimate better to freeway riding, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better. It seems like it's a combination of the hand position when holding the throttle mostly-open, and the vibration. I have an inkling that different gloves may help; all I have now are a pair of Alpinestars SPX Air Carbon gloves.

Think different gloves would help? How have others dealt with this? Bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan S; it handles freeway speeds just fine but the engine is turning pretty fast when you get up to 70-75 mph.

I have the same bike. I have similar issues when I’m out of practice and grip the throttle too hard, or when my grip is positioned in a way that keeps my wrist bent at cruising speed. Loosening my grip and adjusting its position usually fixes the problem, even though my gloves aren’t great. To adjust my grip, I rotate my hand further forward so that when I roll on the throttle and reach cruising speed, my wrist is at a comfortable position.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
SCREWDRIVER HANDS

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does this thread not like cramp busters? I had one years ago but lost it and never intend to super slab for 8+ hours again. Still, if you plan is to slowly fall asleep on a bike it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

SCREWDRIVER HANDS
Saw one of these in person today and thought of this thread.

Bonus torture: the left grip also twists for timing advance.