Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rodyle posted:

He's gonna end up with Chisa and it will suck

like there is no reason for them to be cousisn instead of just childhood friends which would be a lot less weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will only accept an ending where Aina wins.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jose posted:

like there is no reason for them to be cousisn instead of just childhood friends which would be a lot less weird

its the certified, anime brand, non-blood related kind of cousin

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

:can:, but I was under the impression that relationships between first cousins are considered OK in Japan (and indeed in most places that aren't the US).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its legal everywhere but in the US its not even taboo in some places lol

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Honestly even if we take the cousin thing for granted, which FINE, SURE, it's just not a relationship with chemistry.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah I think they explicitly stated it wasn't a blood relation?

There's definitely more chemistry with Aina though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

He should date Busujima instead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Yeah I think they explicitly stated it wasn't a blood relation?

There's definitely more chemistry with Aina though.

They did?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

They did?

yeah, chisa's adopted.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, chisa's adopted.

no, I think it's the uncle/chisa's dad that's adopted

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

no wait it's Iori's dad who is the adopted one

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

dogsicle posted:

its just one idiot who purposely misinterpreted her work and admitted they have a grudge against ichikawa, and the rest of it is tumblr being impressionable teens

I can see people wanting maybe a warning about some of the older material for a few things but yeah it's a case of blatantly misunderstanding some scanlations or skewing the interpretation to fit a gross conclusion and also not recognizing that some fiction contains story elements that are unsavory or just flat out icky and said inclusion isn't an endorsement.

But yeah, I mean most people I see talking about her are saying "uh that callout was ridiculous" so I don't know how much it really influenced anyone who would actually be picking up the series.

It's annoying when a conversation goes from "hey, are you interested in X series or mangaka? Here are a few warnings about content" to "...and if you are okay with reading any of this, you're a terrible person!"

I'm already seeing some weiiird growing pains with the golden kamuy fanbase there in that regard, like people starting it up only to be shocked, SHOCKED that it's violent and angry that anyone would have the audacity to like that aspect of it. I hate talking like it's tumblr as a whole because it definitely isn't but there are really annoying pockets of people there, just like there are everywhere I guess

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ok that's less weird maybe I'm not far enough in though. I have a friend who had a similar relation and hosed her and everyone told him what a weirdo he was when he told people lol

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
While not a seinen, Grand Blue's author previous work Baka Test already had the "friends being assholes to each other" aspect. It was what drew me in, and probably the author figured that's what he was really good at.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

:love:

https://twitter.com/pkjd/status/951755032336023552

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

gently caress yeah!!!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

I am the happiest of boys today :allears:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is tenkuu shinpan any good?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think it’s one of the best in the genre. The main character’s growth during the story is really good and it has some decent action.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

As a big fan of Grand Blue this is pretty good news! Not quite sure how well the adaptation will go, but I'm hopeful! It also has already solid official translation which seems to update fairly frequently. That's definitely a plus.

Regarding the comic itself, I'm surprised at how consistently good it is. The characters are fun (though I do agree Chisa is definitely the boring choice), gags usually land for me and the art really helps sell it (especially the reactions). Ending to last chapter was really good!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'm already seeing some weiiird growing pains with the golden kamuy fanbase there in that regard, like people starting it up only to be shocked, SHOCKED that it's violent and angry that anyone would have the audacity to like that aspect of it. I hate talking like it's tumblr as a whole because it definitely isn't but there are really annoying pockets of people there, just like there are everywhere I guess

I assume, though, that those people don't really stick around, right? While it's not always violent and certainly has more to offer, Golden Kamuy has lots of over-the-top action and blood in it and doesn't really hide from that fact. Seems strange to get mad at people for liking those parts when they're important elements to it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Post the posts where people are self righteously angry about there being gore in a comic that sounds funny

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Its because those people picked up Golden Kamui after seeing a picture of the hairy chest guy or another nude man.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Grashros is cool and good

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Fire Barrel posted:

I assume, though, that those people don't really stick around, right? While it's not always violent and certainly has more to offer, Golden Kamuy has lots of over-the-top action and blood in it and doesn't really hide from that fact. Seems strange to get mad at people for liking those parts when they're important elements to it.

I think some people just somehow totally missed the super violent stuff since of course when I see other people tweeting/posting panels, it's always the silly ones.

That and basically the JJBA people I follow slowly morphed into GK people I guess and -while this makes absolutely no sense to me since JJBA can still be violent/gory - people who followed them apparently figured it was still safer since hey, they all liked JJBA, too?

I mean basically it's "oh, wait, I had no idea that's what seinen can be" kind of growing pains

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hibiki started updating again and it immediately got amazing.

Forget Killing Bites, Hibiki is the real human honey badger.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I thought all the violence got stale really fast in this manga about litterature and writing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a historical-based series named Hawkwood had a few chapters show up recently. Just started in on the first chapter but the style gives me some serious Vinland Saga vibes and the artwork is fantastic. Gerard gives me kind of a Reinhard vibe from Legend of the Galactic Heroes in how he's slightly manlier-looking than a shojo protagonist in a setting with dumpy old men and brick shithouses.

according to baka-updates, it's complete at 8 volumes in Japan, so if someone's scanlating the whole thing, hopefully it's a good series!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Wild Horses posted:

I thought all the violence got stale really fast in this manga about litterature and writing

It’s not about literature and writing, it’s about Hibiki, and violent confrontations with jerks are part of her character.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The setting is about reading and writing. It’s literally like saying naruto is not about ninjas.
all this violence poo poo we’ve already seen countless times. It’s inefficient and masturbatory, and boring.

Imagine reading hikaru no go and going drat but why is this chessmaster going around hitting dudes and receiving no punishment instead of participating in games???

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 18, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'd read that

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wild Horses posted:

The setting is about reading and writing. It’s literally like saying naruto is not about ninjas.
all this violence poo poo we’ve already seen countless times. It’s inefficient and masturbatory, and boring.

Imagine reading hikaru no go and going drat but why is this chessmaster going around hitting dudes and receiving no punishment instead of participating in games???

the manga is literally named after her

it's about a crazy person in the context of her being a genius author, dude

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The focus on violence is infused in the story, like it's a truly central part of the story which comes up time and again, it's perplexing.
Why this is, why she doesn't simply do martial arts and whatever is not explained, so the way it takes focus from literally everything else is very strange.
Explain how this gels with the mc being a one in a thousand years prodigy in literature?

Also whats up with her stalker best friend

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Blue is a manga about diving

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wild Horses posted:

Explain how this gels with the mc being a one in a thousand years prodigy in literature?

They are both forms of wish fulfilment for the readership.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The manga is about the friction between her being a genius author and her having absolutely no restraint when it comes to violence and insults. Hibiki wins fights because her responses are completely disproportionate. You're not meant to think that she has a future in martial arts.

It's absolutely setting up tension about just how far other people can excuse her behaviour because of her talent, and I expect one of her friends/mentors to decide she's not worth it at some point. What I don't know is how justified Hibiki's "truth to power" schtick is going to be portrayed as, since other characters have tried their best to ignore it so far and it's had at worst ambiguous results.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The violence is shown to be inflicted on people who mostly have it coming and it even has a rehabilitative effect on them. The appeal is pretty basic: it's fun for the audience to see an anti-hero cross boundaries in a cathartic manner.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The violence is shown to be inflicted on people who mostly have it coming and it even has a rehabilitative effect on them. The appeal is pretty basic: it's fun for the audience to see an anti-hero cross boundaries in a cathartic manner.

doesn’t she try to push a bookcase on the editor and the club president

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Rorschach's violence was mostly inflicted on people who had it coming too, and he provided plenty of catharsis, but he was still ultimately presented as someone who no one actually wanted around and whose lack of compromise led to more harm than good. It's possible to have an antihero do some cathartic violence while telling a larger story about how that same violence messes other things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A superhero character does not really seem like the most salient point of reference.