Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Psychotic Weasel posted:

When you gene mod something you get the chance to rename it. You can try that.

Strangely the mere act of editing a species' name seems to have a research cost, but perhaps you can justify that as the advertising campaign. "Snaxoids: The new name for Terranburgers! Same great meat--new, quality flavour! Snaxoids."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Shadowlyger posted:

One Mind? Oh no... THE GRANDMAPOCALYPSE IS UPON US!

why must you remind me of cookie clicker :argh:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Reveilled posted:

Strangely the mere act of editing a species' name seems to have a research cost, but perhaps you can justify that as the advertising campaign. "Snaxoids: The new name for Terranburgers! Same great meat--new, quality flavour! Snaxoids."

Well someone needs to go through and rewrite all those textbooks. For some reason that someone is the top genetics researcher in your empire.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Genetics and sociology are in the same tech group. Who else would you make do it, the head engineer?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey now it's not only genetics and sociology it's also military theory and psychic powers.

My lead researcher decides who to do eugenics on by doing bibliomancy with his big stack of AARs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't see the issue, the three basic elements of the universe are machinery, life things and lasers.

E: Actually, why isn't psionics a physics tree? Engineering has robots, society has psy and gene modding, while physics has uhhhh lasers.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 17, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

turn off the TV posted:

I don't see the issue, the three basic elements of the universe are machinery, life things and lasers.

E: Actually, why isn't psionics a physics tree? Engineering has robots, society has psy and gene modding, while physics has uhhhh lasers.

Okay now I'm going to get triggered every time psionics comes up in society

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

Physics is already busy enough with it having shields, energy, and travel.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Physics is also computers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Psionic powers are the least physical things possible

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Some psionic powers are in the blue tree, I thought? The combat computers and so forth?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Improbable Lobster posted:

They're the interdimensional reality bendy kind in Stellaris, though, which is definitely not society or engjneering.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Psionics is just physics in another dimension :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psionics is when you physics so hard your thought experiments have a body count.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

turn off the TV posted:

Being mind stuff, psionics fits both the biological and psychological parts of Society research. Or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What perks and traditions do people like for Machine Empires?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What perks and traditions do people like for Machine Empires?

I have a very successful empire that focuses on leader levels and the 20% engineering research civic. I usually can rush to cruisers before anyone else can and totally dominate.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Psionics is just physics in another dimension :colbert:

Tell it to T H E. S H R O U D

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

re: fallen empires as playable races, maybe it could do some kind of advanced-start map? So that for FE Mode, you "start" in a half-settled galaxy in some loose approximation of the midgame; early enough that you still have a massive if eroding power imbalance, but with enough poo poo going on that you can't just brute-force EVERYTHING.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I know it's a total pipe dream but I'd love it if the win screen had a button to start a new game a few thousand years in the future as a FE in the same galaxy but with new empires getting off the ground. Maybe some unique mechanics so you can't just stomp everyone ASAP.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I know it's a total pipe dream but I'd love it if the win screen had a button to start a new game a few thousand years in the future as a FE in the same galaxy but with new empires getting off the ground. Maybe some unique mechanics so you can't just stomp everyone ASAP.

There's a mod that makes your empire the only FTL-capable empire. It kinda makes you a "FE" in a vague way but it also depends on how the random pre-FTL generation works out with respect to space age civs.

e: Fermi Paradox

I haven't played it in a long time so I'm not sure how compatible it is with recent updates

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 17, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Bramble posted:

Am I mistaken, or is there no way to read an empire's biography once you're in-game? Yours or others?

You can. There's some way where you can right-click on something or hover about it for long enough and their entire biographic text suddenly shows up as a tool tip.

I stumbled on this by accident once, I think you have to do this with their planets, stations or ships?

Edit:

Reveilled posted:

If you go to the species view and hover over the empire's founder species, it will display the empire biography after a short delay, if the empire has one.

OK, I didn't know that! That's a lot easier!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

There's a mod that makes your empire the only FTL-capable empire. It kinda makes you a "FE" in a vague way but it also depends on how the random pre-FTL generation works out with respect to space age civs.

e: Fermi Paradox

I haven't played it in a long time so I'm not sure how compatible it is with recent updates

Technically speaking, it's also the Fermi Paradox at work if you play as a Devouring Hive or Space SkyNet, as those kill-everything types of empires are a valid reason as to why there is nothing out there. :v:

That said, I tested a machine exterminator empire and I found it a bit sad that I can't even try to not kill everyone, apparently: I found some interesting form of new life on a random planet and the event ended with us exterminating everything from orbit. No decision, nothing: Just "We found something! Then we killed it". Which I mean, yeah, that's what exterminators do, but I think I prefer even the Space Borg to just randomly killing everything.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Libluini posted:

Technically speaking, it's also the Fermi Paradox at work if you play as a Devouring Hive or Space SkyNet, as those kill-everything types of empires are a valid reason as to why there is nothing out there. :v:

That said, I tested a machine exterminator empire and I found it a bit sad that I can't even try to not kill everyone, apparently: I found some interesting form of new life on a random planet and the event ended with us exterminating everything from orbit. No decision, nothing: Just "We found something! Then we killed it". Which I mean, yeah, that's what exterminators do, but I think I prefer even the Space Borg to just randomly killing everything.

Then don't play the Determined Exterminators then? Why not Assimilators or something?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Libluini posted:

I mean it's pretty clear what Determined Exterminators do just from the name. Not really sure what you were expecting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The extermination computer has subroutines to handle situations like that in order to more efficiently eradicate all life in the galaxy. Obviously it is not a situation which requires the input of a fully sapient decision making unit which could be devoting valuable processing time to planning how best to expediently kill more resilient forms of life. Or in the event that such life has not been discovered, to discovering, and then killing it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to try something different. :shrug:

I even populated my galaxy with some vile poo poo to feel less guilty, but it didn't work. Seems like "Dreaded assimilators" is as far as my personal evil scale goes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Determined Exterminators, Driven Assimilators, Drogue Servitors

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
one awakened machine empire should be the protector empire somehow being able to bring back the species they were tasked to protect with genetic resurrection or something, and the empire is awakened as an organic and machine mixed empire that's materialist or xenophobe and headed by the resurrected precursor race and use the massive robot armies at their disposal to purge and colonize new worlds and rebuild the old empire.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

I even populated my galaxy with some vile poo poo to feel less guilty, but it didn't work. Seems like "Dreaded assimilators" is as far as my personal evil scale goes.

i want species that can do really disgusting things, like outright cannibalism by turning their own species pops into food. or maybe they sacrifice intelligent species to their dark lovecraftian god. i want to play as a more chaotic evil empire that's got more poo poo going on that just penchant for genocide, i want to be able to worship slanesh or some equivalent.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

In the context of the stellaris universe it has to be using some kind of unknown physics. It's not supposed to be magic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fututor Magnus posted:

i want species that can do really disgusting things, like outright cannibalism by turning their own species pops into food. or maybe they sacrifice intelligent species to their dark lovecraftian god. i want to play as a more chaotic evil empire that's got more poo poo going on that just penchant for genocide, i want to be able to worship slanesh or some equivalent.
Some kind of old gods starter civic that's basically a pop or leader fuelled shroud diver would be neat. Could back-bundle it into utopia even to appease the "loss" of the base ascensions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You could introduce goodlife from the Berserker books in with the determined exterminators. That might be a fun way to complicate things.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fututor Magnus posted:

Well I don't, but this would give my peaceful science/robot civs more bad guys to slaughter, so I'm all for it!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Splicer posted:

Some kind of old gods starter civic that's basically a pop or leader fuelled shroud diver would be neat. Could back-bundle it into utopia even to appease the "loss" of the base ascensions.
Ritual Sacrifice could be a new Purge type that grants Unity and reduces Shroud re-entry cooldown. Available to Spiritualists and Fanatic Spiritualists.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Libluini posted:

They're also more fun

I kinda liked the rogue servitor too but it bothers me that all these pops that make unity just turn into micro after you have all the traditions

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Ephemeron posted:

Ritual Sacrifice could be a new Purge type that grants Unity and reduces Shroud re-entry cooldown. Available to Spiritualists and Fanatic Spiritualists.

Now I'm thinking about a 'Sacrificial Altar' building that slowly purges the pop that works it, generating Unity, maybe happiness or society too.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
And what do you call this act?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Juicing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

upgrade your sacrificial altar with automatic man-squashers and amazon lockers so you can order heretics from the cloud (shroud?)

• Locked thread