Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Davincie posted:

yuasa will be doing a reddit AMA on the 20th

I hope someone will ask him about the donkey noises.

Also about what he thinks of the unusually short ten episode run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The donkey noises aren't even the weirdest way Yuasa has expressed masturbation. In Tatami Galaxy, masturbation is a cartoon cowboy just havin' a blast, riding his horse and firing twin six-shooters in the air.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

The donkey noises aren't even the weirdest way Yuasa has expressed masturbation. In Tatami Galaxy, masturbation is a cartoon cowboy just havin' a blast, riding his horse and firing twin six-shooters in the air.

That's pretty emotionally accurate at least :clint:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

My take on it was more of a Pinocchio boys island thing, but that's probably a cold interpretation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

don't forget literally loving yourself in Kaiba

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can someone skilled at that sort of thing make me a cool av from the show? idk what though

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Jose posted:

can someone skilled at that sort of thing make me a cool av from the show? idk what though

i emailed you some screencaps of miki makimura's bare breasts

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ty friend but i'm after a work safe av

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

devilman running would be a good avatar, jose. Someone do it. For us.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if someone can figure out how to embed the Buddy Ryo song to play on any poage i post on too that would be ftw

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Skimmed through the Manga today. Kind of surprised to see it was about as graphic as the show. What year did that come out?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

Skimmed through the Manga today. Kind of surprised to see it was about as graphic as the show. What year did that come out?

June 11, 1972

Surprisingly for how influential it is, it only went on for a little more then a year.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

if someone can figure out how to embed the Buddy Ryo song to play on any poage i post on too that would be ftw

paging zdr and lowtax

@zdr @lowtax

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ZDR is dead

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Sorry pal, she's in love
...with Akira

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

1972. And it ran in a Shonen magazine.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I can't stress enough how much that ANN podcast take on this bewilders me, up to and especially the Go Nagai takedowns

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Ccs posted:

1972. And it ran in a Shonen magazine.

good

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Desperado Bones posted:

Jose posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

I can't stress enough how much that ANN podcast take on this bewilders me, up to and especially the Go Nagai takedowns

what do they think about it

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

this but flipped

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

this but flipped

I mirrored it so the bulge would point towards the posts v:shobon:v

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

it's like in the OP when ryo and akira's faces get close

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
psycho jenny from this scene would probably be good. i'd be very tempted to get it myself if I had Money (god it would also be a very good username/av combo)

https://twitter.com/sciencesaru/status/952742280493809665

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

psycho jenny from this scene would probably be good. i'd be very tempted to get it myself if I had Money (god it would also be a very good username/av combo)

https://twitter.com/sciencesaru/status/952742280493809665

there are a lot of colors in this gif, making it hard to compress!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
crybaby rules and I will be spending some time reading/watcher other DEVILMAN series for the foreseeable future.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AnacondaHL posted:

there are a lot of colors in this gif, making it hard to compress!

whoa, i love it! #2 especially, thank you!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKjPD_BNAE

the character designer (specifically for the demons) in this show directed a show called flip flappers that is really good and you should watch. peace.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

what do they think about it

That it is a parody or subversion of the themes of the original Devilman and the sexual themes of the rest of Nagai's work.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
shut the gently caress up nutritioussnack go back to 4chan

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NutritiousSnack posted:

That it is a parody or subversion of the themes of the original Devilman and the sexual themes of the rest of Nagai's work.
Yo if you have more in-depth thoughts about this I'd be curious to hear them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, TBH, it is rather more textually and explicitly accepting of gay people than either Devilman manga. Lady in particular got... weird on that count.

Basically, in the original Devilman and Lady, being gay means that there’s some sort of opposite-sex identity within you. So in Devilman, Ryo has a crush on Akira because he’s secretly a hermaphrodite. In Lady, Ran and Jun are in love because they’re the two split halves of Satan, and Ran is actually the male half despite being magically disguised as a woman. Meanwhile, Jun’s rival, Aoi (who provided much of the character concept for this version of Miko) had her mind split between male and female as a defensive reaction to her stepfather’s sexual abuse (and between human and demon, but that’s another, separate story), and struggles throughout the series with her male half’s desire for Jun. Eventually, she grows a dick as a side-effect of her devilman powers, loses control, joins the bad guys, and rapes Jun before getting exploded.

In that light, Miko, who’s definitely gay (or at least bisexual) with no bizarre gender stuff going on, is redeemed by her love for Miki, and dies a dignified, heroic death, is at least somewhat subversive. Similarly, Ryo’s love for Akira is moved away from being a natural function of who he is towards being a natural function of their relationship.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It could also be because traditionally, demons were hermaphroditic. Like how succubi collect semen and implant it in a woman by transforming into incubi, or how Baphomet has aspects of both males and females like breasts and a beard. This is, of course in contrast to angels who are sexless and genderless. Demons exist in a liminal state, which makes them both dangerous and alluring, fraught with danger. This idea of liminal states is why there's so much folk magic concerning doors, like jack-o-lanterns and carrying a bride over the doorway. So, in fact, Go Nagai is actually staying true to traditional demonolgy by having everyone attracted to people with hidden genders.

That or Go Nagai was really horney and wanted to see Akira gently caress some dude pussy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

It could also be because traditionally, demons were hermaphroditic. Like how succubi collect semen and implant it in a woman by transforming into incubi, or how Baphomet has aspects of both males and females like breasts and a beard. This is, of course in contrast to angels who are sexless and genderless. Demons exist in a liminal state, which makes them both dangerous and alluring, fraught with danger. This idea of liminal states is why there's so much folk magic concerning doors, like jack-o-lanterns and carrying a bride over the doorway. So, in fact, Go Nagai is actually staying true to traditional demonolgy by having everyone attracted to people with hidden genders.

That or Go Nagai was really horney and wanted to see Akira gently caress some dude pussy

That said, Lady in particular makes a point of heterosexual sex being the best sex. Akira finally bangs Ryo, but only his female half, Jun. Aoi’s rape of Jun is a strange, distressing aberration (but also totally authorial spank-bait, because Devilman Lady) that is presented as her only, doomed chance at pleasing her rival, because regular old lesbian sex isn’t an option, and while Ran and Jun do experiment, they can only truly satisfy each other once Ran realises who she truly is and turns back into a dude.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That sounds loving rough

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

That sounds loving rough

There’s a reason the first warning Crybaby fans get about the broader franchise is ‘don’t read Lady’. I mean, it contains the genesis of a lot of stuff that showed up in Crybaby, but the difference is that Crybaby actually made it not-poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

i want something demon or devilman related rather than vaguely human. koda loving and eating that guy is probably too big lol

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I’m not gonna lie, as rough as all that stuff sounds, it also sounds like it’d be dope as hell if reinterpreted by Yuasa and the Crybaby crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

what bit of the podcast did you pull this out of? because i did not hear the words parody or subversion and none of them were familiar enough with the manga to speak on it comprehensively/authoritatively (and they didn't).

• Locked thread