Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Draynar posted:

When you do Shupe mage hazards what is the blue glowy hazard? No idea what that does and can't find what spawns it from normal decks.

Dragon’s Dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

"leaked" new card arts

as much as this game is a dumpster fire sometimes the card art keeps being top notch, drat

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I, for one, am glad to see the return of the sex cards.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Consume Monsters still feels Pretty Decent, not least because A) it's not quite common enough for people to tech against it and B) it usually has a decent matchup against Spies Nilfgaard.

Too bad the last couple versions of the deck trackers i've tried can't handle nekker warriors correctly :argh:

:mad:

Sorry, deck trackers?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://gwentup.com

https://www.gwent-tracker.com

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

on the other hand, i'm playing spellatel so who really loses here.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

I can't use those on PS4. That seems a legitimate advantage for PC players.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A pen and sheet of paper accomplishes the same thing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

yeah just use pen and paper you console pleb

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Alternately, I'm pretty sure the PS4 doesn't have cross platform play, so nobody has an advantage over you.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

rydiafan posted:

A pen and sheet of paper accomplishes the same thing.

Or knowing your deck inside and out.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Well, they track the opponent's play as well, which can help figure out their deck build. Like, until I see a third of a bronze I'm clutching my Scorch with white knuckles.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i really hope the card descriptions are going to get fixed at some point. i just lost a game because "deal 3 damage" means "deal three damage to an enemy" without any indication on some cards. this sort of stuff kills my desire to play if i'm completely honest.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

botany posted:

i really hope the card descriptions are going to get fixed at some point. i just lost a game because "deal 3 damage" means "deal three damage to an enemy" without any indication on some cards. this sort of stuff kills my desire to play if i'm completely honest.

Meanwhile, "if neither played has passed" got its own keyword.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Played a bit today and won a bunch with my nilfgaard reveal deck, it's pretty powerful.

I'm bad at playing northern realms though, took me forever to get 5 wins for the quest

I'm saving scraps now to craft the usurper for a fun deck based on the create mechanic. I also want to make a dragon theme deck later on when I have more cards.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 20, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Simone Poodoin posted:

I'm saving scraps now to craft the usurper for a fun deck based on the create mechanic. I also want to make a dragon theme deck later on when I have more cards.
My current Usurper deck looks like this. It's actually been a lot of fun, wins surprisingly often, and has helped me learn a lot about how the other factions play.

Usurper

Uma
Avalla'ch the Sage
Cahir
Muzzle

Summoning Circle
Stregobor
Dazhbog Runestone
Dorregagray
Portcullis
Decoy

Doppler x 3
Vicovaro Medic x 3
Slave Driver x 3
Ointment x 3
Magne Division x 3

Always Mulligan away ointments, use a couple slave drivers in round one so that you have something to resurrect with your ointments, and if you win round one don't be afraid to play the Usurper in round two so that you don't brick Cahir in round three.

Oh, and if it's round three and you have a Magne Division in your graveyard and one in your hand, don't forget that when you play the one in your hand you should use the ointment to resurrect the one in your graveyard, and then use the ointment that that one grabs to resurrect a unit. It's three points that is easy to miss.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 21, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MarshyMcFly posted:

Or knowing your deck inside and out.

it's a pain in the rear end to try and remember how many harpies and nekkers you still have

so yeah, right now i just use a textpad window, although i should check and see if the trackers got their poo poo together in the last two weeks or whatever

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
honestly the ladder is just dwarves over and over again, this is incredibly unenjoyable

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Has anyone here got past rank 19? I’ve never been able to make it past there but I got a jump start on this season so I thought I’d try again. I’ve been playing so much I could probably make any meta deck by now lol. Anyone have any suggestions of deck lists?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Wanted to jump into this game when it first took off but I had to deploy. Been back for a bit now and I want to give it a go. Any advice on best way to jump in and figure out if I like it or not?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I don't look at deck lists because I like building them myself even if they're not optimal, but I've been having lot's of success with a reveal based deck, off the top of my head it's something like this:

Voorhis

Cahir
Letho
Vattier

Cynthia
Serrit
Hefty Helge
Albritch

Fire scorpions
Mangonells
Venendal Elite
Spotters
Daerlan Soldiers
Master of disguise

With the remaining spots filled by whatever because I don't have a more useful card for the theme (such as henry var artre for example)

In general I can gently caress up their board with mangonells and fire scorpions and force a pass on round 1, then give them round two and destroy them again in round 3 by concealing and then reviving voorhis or revealing again some other way. The Cynthia/Venendal combo is powerful too most of the time.

I need to tweak my list to be more reliable, I almost enjoy the deck building/tweaking aspect more than actually climbing the ranks.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

vulturesrow posted:

Wanted to jump into this game when it first took off but I had to deploy. Been back for a bit now and I want to give it a go. Any advice on best way to jump in and figure out if I like it or not?

the game right now is kinda dogshit because of a series of bad decisions made by CDPR, personally I would wait for the next balance patch

but really there's no bad way to "jump in" because you make progress on kegs even if lose 6 matches in a row (as long as you win one round for sure) so go crazy in Ranked I guess

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I'm guessing they removed the tracker to see who's in the lead for the faction challenge this time around huh

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Knowlue posted:

I'm guessing they removed the tracker to see who's in the lead for the faction challenge this time around huh

They have, but my personal tracker is that I face 10 times as many Nilfgard as monsters.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Knowlue posted:

a dev on the forums claimed that if you win 1 match with both factions, you'll get whatever the winning faction gets, so

personally I still can't be assed to open the game until they fix it. slay the spire is really fun

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

I'm not sure how best to describe this, so. On PS4, if you scroll down on the Gwent app before launching, there's a banner ad for the Midwinter Update. In the middle is a card I don't recognize.

It's a man standing up, with a mask in his hand. Behind him is a crawling man, whose face has been mimiced for the mask. There's wooden floorboards.

Any ideas?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

MarshyMcFly posted:

Has anyone here got past rank 19? I’ve never been able to make it past there but I got a jump start on this season so I thought I’d try again. I’ve been playing so much I could probably make any meta deck by now lol. Anyone have any suggestions of deck lists?

i'm sure a lot of us have, yeah. i got to 20 but didn't feel like pushing on after that, like, two seasons ago? i think?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Seedge posted:

I'm not sure how best to describe this, so. On PS4, if you scroll down on the Gwent app before launching, there's a banner ad for the Midwinter Update. In the middle is a card I don't recognize.

It's a man standing up, with a mask in his hand. Behind him is a crawling man, whose face has been mimiced for the mask. There's wooden floorboards.

Any ideas?

Unreleased dandelion?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Its nice to see the thread active again :)

Had some fun in ranked play ( I know impossible right?) with this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBfk1eE6Mk

Then this happened in a random faction challenge game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxulbBIIyRQ

Sweers is just too good!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I'm having loads of fun in ranked play with my Jan Calveit witcher/alchemy deck. (viper witchers that hit for ~10 off of Mahakam ales, Ointments, and silver/gold alchemy stuff)

The absolute most fun matchup must be vs. Nilfgaard spies. Most spy players just kinda automatically open with an emissary and kill it with their Impera enforcers to activate a vivocario medic resurrection.

Interrupting that plan by resurrecting it with an ointment is deeply satisfying. Slave driver also is able to steal their spy-activated stuff well, including their medics.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I want to try that next, sounds like fun. My Usurper create deck is not very good yet, need some more cards to make it more reliable.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Trogdos! posted:

Unreleased dandelion?

Yeah, that's it. I really couldn't identify it.

Are you guys sure there isn't cross play? I played someone tonight called .FRESH. and I don't think PSN allows punctuation.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If your rank isn't as high as you want it to be this month, the only question you need to ask yourself is "am I playing enough dwarves?"

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I think the reason my rank isn't higher than I want it to be is because I keep getting booted from the game over and over again in the middle of a ranked match I'd probably have won anyways!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Patch on the china server with some upcoming changes, take it all with a grain of salt, changes pending, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/7u104j/leaked_upcoming_patch_in_cn_server/

Some highlights include reddit calling commanders horn overnerfed and dead forever (up to you how true that is), point drops on some dwarfs, veterans back to soldier instead of support, Iorveth: meditation only can force duels on the same row, summoning circle not working on card spies.

Something I've heard a lot of, though I personally disagree, is that row locks should come back. Maybe my memory is off, but that just made weather better, and igni and casual lacerates going in every deck. I felt like I lost games just because they had weather or rot tosser and put it on a row and I couldn't do anything about it because my valuable cards had to go there. It isn't my fault that that the 'shoot cards that move' elf and the 'damage enemies on the same row' elf happen to be on the same row. I don't care at all about the 'flavour' argument, that doesn't even concern me a little.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 30, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Row restrictions is in the same category as gold immunity. It going away made the game strictly better, but it's further from the original Gwent so a vocal minority who hate change can't get over it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gold pseudo-immunity (CB) was best. Promote mechanics were, however, bad.

Chorn seems like it got massacred but it may still be the most points in a replayable spell for Aglais. Iorveth med change is neat.

22 is the exact number I thought CN would go to, but being immune to gigni might make her stronger regardless.

Most disappointing is Paulie not being deleted.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2018

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Obviously more stuff may change as things go along, but I wouldn't be mad to see paulie go the way of the dinosaur and become something completely different. Also hattori only works on elves because I'm tired of that combo already.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

One of my favorite parts of this game (being the first ccg I have really gotten into) is to see the new archetypes and decks that come up and how they change after every patch, looking forward to seeing how this evolves.

When using dwarves I would struggle against some decks due to not really having good ways to kill enemies, especially against something like consume monsters where you need to kill things before they get huge. Even then I some times won anyway through sheer point numbers. It did need to be nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

No Wave posted:

Gold pseudo-immunity (CB) was best. Promote mechanics were, however, bad.

Chorn seems like it got massacred but it may still be the most points in a replayable spell for Aglais. Iorveth med change is neat.

22 is the exact number I thought CN would go to, but being immune to gigni might make her stronger regardless.

Most disappointing is Paulie not being deleted.

CN is probably not a nerf since gigni isn't autoinclude and you could play around it anyways with if you had last say.

And Paulie is a goddamn garbage silver anyways. With dorfs boosting instead of strengthening you can't res a 12 point dorf in r3 anymore so he might as well be deleted.