Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's the deal with the giant battery icon when you start to charge from a fully dead state? Is it actually bad to disconnect the cable during that time?

I plugged a phone in my car not realizing it was dead (spare old 5c that I have music on) and now I'm not sure if I have to wait to turn my car off or what :mad:

It's been freezing outside which is why I guess I've had enough time to type this and the drat icon is still there

e: VVVVVVV cool thanks

Minidust fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That icon just means it doesn't have enough power for the OS to boot.

Well, it could probably boot, but then would die shortly after.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

So about 8000 of my pictures were deleted from my iPhone for seemingly no apparent reason before I switched over to ios11. My phone just bugged out and they were almost all gone. They’re all backed up on my Mac laptop and iCloud.com but HOW DO I GET THEM BACK ON MY IPHONE?!?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why can't devices switch to being powered by AC directly once they hit 100% charge? I feel like that's how laptops used to work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

So about 8000 of my pictures were deleted from my iPhone for seemingly no apparent reason before I switched over to ios11. My phone just bugged out and they were almost all gone. They’re all backed up on my Mac laptop and iCloud.com but HOW DO I GET THEM BACK ON MY IPHONE?!?!

Dig deep into iCloud settings>photos and enable all the cloud features? For some reason, even though it appears to be on, nothing actually downloads to the phone until you explicitly enable those settings. Same with Settings>Photos. Just flick some of the switches like iCloud photo library. I don't know why its like this. My mom called me with the same issue after she upgraded.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Nope! 😩😩😩

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what about those old lovely expensive batteries my hobbyist RC car self used in the 90s?

They were lovely. Also look up "voltage depression"

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

buglord posted:

Dig deep into iCloud settings>photos and enable all the cloud features? For some reason, even though it appears to be on, nothing actually downloads to the phone until you explicitly enable those settings. Same with Settings>Photos. Just flick some of the switches like iCloud photo library. I don't know why its like this. My mom called me with the same issue after she upgraded.

Yeah, turn it off photo stream and back on again and then wait.

The photos don’t download immediately.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Snuffman posted:

The photos don’t download immediately.

IIRC it schedules bulk downloads for when the phone is locked, charging, and on WiFi

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
IPhone playlist question:

So I'd like to add a some playlists to my iPhone, but I don't want the albums they're from to show up in album view, because I'll suddenly have a couple hundred of one-song "albums" to wade through in order to browse mt actual full-length albums.

But I've found that if I delete the album name from music in the playlists, it also deletes the album name from my actual library collection. This is something I don't want of course.

Is there a way to add a playlist that won't populate my artists/albums categories with hundreds of one-off songs?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fly Ricky posted:

IPhone playlist question:

So I'd like to add a some playlists to my iPhone, but I don't want the albums they're from to show up in album view, because I'll suddenly have a couple hundred of one-song "albums" to wade through in order to browse mt actual full-length albums.

But I've found that if I delete the album name from music in the playlists, it also deletes the album name from my actual library collection. This is something I don't want of course.

Is there a way to add a playlist that won't populate my artists/albums categories with hundreds of one-off songs?

Settings->Music->Add Playlist songs

Turn that off

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there any good reason for me to upgrade from a 5s and an SE? The SE is slightly faster but am I really going to notice any significant differences?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

icantfindaname posted:

Hi, I just replaced my iphone 6s, which I had not updated from ios 10.1.1, with an iphone 8, and the keyboard now is shrunk horizontally with empty vertical bands on the sides. This is really infuriating when trying to type, is there any way to make it take the full width like before?

Welcome to iOS 11!

Now take a screenshot in landscape mode, and see how fun that is to send in a text! (Hint: if you turn the phone to portrait mode, the phone will completely forget that you were even taking or trying to send a screenshot. Features!)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's two generations of CPU newer, and so it'll be a lot faster, which you will probably notice. It also has Apple Pay, which is a really nice feature. Camera is also a lot better. It will also get updates longer, though you still have until 2019 on yours, most likely. But there's also rumors that there will be a new one in the near future, so if you're content with what you have, it's probably worth waiting it out.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I use Cricket wireless (AT&T) and can get an SE from Best Buy for like $150. Are these refurbs or actual new stock?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Depends on the actual item but $150 for a new, carrier-locked SE in the US isn’t unusual.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there any good reason for me to upgrade from a 5s and an SE? The SE is slightly faster but am I really going to notice any significant differences?

It's a lot faster than a 5s, and it's pretty much Apple's best phone. The 5se2 is going to be a monster when it's released later this year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

I use Cricket wireless (AT&T) and can get an SE from Best Buy for like $150. Are these refurbs or actual new stock?

They're new, but carrier-locked. No idea what the unlocking requirements are for Cricket (I can't find it on the BB website), but the Simple version says 12 months before unlocking. Though a Cricket-locked one might still work on AT&T post-paid.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Slickdeals comments say the AT&T locked versions work fine on Cricket, so maybe I'll pick it up. Thanks.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Sometimes the Apple Genius experience is great... other times..

Had an appointment after work yesterday to get my battery replaced. I showed the guy my conversation with online support that included the results of a battery test. He then ran the test again which I’m guessing is protocol and then spent 10 minutes explaining it was probably an app issue :bravo2: and wanted me to do a full reset despite the 80% battery capacity. He then ran the test again and agreed on a battery replacement but by then it was too close to closing time for it to be done in time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I would be cautious about purchasing an iPhone that is locked to a prepaid carrier in hopes of unlocking it later. A few years ago I bought an iPhone 5 through Virgin Mobile, and they had the same 1 year requirement for unlocking it stated hidden in the fine print somewhere. I tried like hell to get the thing unlocked and I was sent in circles because none of their customer service reps knew what I was even taking about or pretended not to. Eventually they gave me an unlock code that I couldn’t do anything with on the iPhone. They told me to call Sprint to unlock it. Sprint said Virgin Mobile has to unlock it. Virgin Mobile refused to unlock it.

Cricket is a lot better than Virgin Mobile but their customer service still isn’t the greatest and I could see a similar problem popping up.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Dugong posted:

Had an appointment after work yesterday to get my battery replaced. I showed the guy my conversation with online support that included the results of a battery test. He then ran the test again which I’m guessing is protocol and then spent 10 minutes explaining it was probably an app issue :bravo2: and wanted me to do a full reset despite the 80% battery capacity. He then ran the test again and agreed on a battery replacement but by then it was too close to closing time for it to be done in time.

They're so backed up right now, I'm not surprised he did everything possible to not have to replace the battery.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Does anyone know how to create your own "live photo" to use as an animated wallpaper, specifically for the iPhone X?

neurotech fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 19, 2018

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is this a general iOS thread? Can I ask about iPads in here?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's an iPad thread

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks, I’ll GTFO then

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
If I get a Qi charger, does it charge through a USB3 port or do I need to directly plug it in into one of those new Quick Charge 2.0 adapters?

I can't get a straight answer from google. All I'm getting are results for Qi chargers with USB ports.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Secx posted:

If I get a Qi charger, does it charge through a USB3 port or do I need to directly plug it in into one of those new Quick Charge 2.0 adapters?

I can't get a straight answer from google. All I'm getting are results for Qi chargers with USB ports.

Most Qi chargers need to fed at minimum 1 amp. So as long as you have it plugged into a charger or USB port that can supply at least that much, you should be good. The standard Apple charger is also sufficient.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Pleson ones I have at home just have micro-USB cables and I plugged them into my Anker 6-port chargers, while the Tylt Vu I keep in the office uses a standard barrel connector power supply. It'll vary by manufacturer, of course, though I vastly prefer the micro-USB ones.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Secx posted:

The wireless charger I have wants a 10W/2A USB charger for 5W Qi charging. If you want 7.5W charging, a QC charger is needed, but I didn't feel like buying a QC adapter for a 20% increase in charging speed versus just plugging it into my existing USB charger.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dugong posted:

That’s better than my local Apple store where there’s a line 40 people deep and the geniuses are just getting your info and telling you come back in 3-4 weeks.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I bought a new iPhone dock, which I love. Unfortunately, it has no 3.5mm port - the dock is hard-connected to a USB-A plug. I have speakers, which I like, which connected to my last dock via 3.5mm.

Is there a single thing I can buy to continue using my speakers with my dock, or am I going to have to just say gently caress it and finally buy a bluetooth speaker?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fedule posted:

I bought a new iPhone dock, which I love. Unfortunately, it has no 3.5mm port - the dock is hard-connected to a USB-A plug. I have speakers, which I like, which connected to my last dock via 3.5mm.

Is there a single thing I can buy to continue using my speakers with my dock, or am I going to have to just say gently caress it and finally buy a bluetooth speaker?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...luetooth+to+3.5

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

stevewm posted:

So as long as you have it plugged into aUSB port

Usb2 ports are rated for 0.5A max and usb3 0.9A.
Incorrectly terminated devices are capable of over-drawing current and melting your computer.

Plug them into a proper supply.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hey mates I have a weird issue with my 7. My phone connects to my work wifi just fine when I arrive in the morning and I can use internet and all that and if I don't leave the building at all it works fine all day. However, if I decide to go out for lunch and leave the wifi area it will not work when I get back. I can connect to the wifi like usual but I get no internet. Tells me it cannot get a secure connection. I don't have this issue when I go home and then come back the next day, only if I'm gone for 30 minutes then get back into the wifi zone. Anyone know of any fixes, other than to bring a lunch?

The 7 is a good phone otherwise, though touch ID is useless in the winter when my hands are dry.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Nifty, though I guess I should say I'm really hoping to avoid bluetooth. Otherwise I'd just get a speaker.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My iPhone 7 won’t charge on one USB port on a USB hub but will on another, with the same cable used for each

The ports it won’t charge on will charge micro use devices

What the gently caress, apple

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sounds like a poo poo hub.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

My iPhone 7 won’t charge on one USB port on a USB hub but will on another, with the same cable used for each

Buy a better hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it isn't apple's fault your (assuming) cheap