Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LeJackal posted:

Well, having never played a Metal Gear game before I was pretty stoked to try Phantom Pain.
Why are they trying to grind me for more money after I already paid retail for this?

:capitalism:

The more you play the game beyond the end of Act 1 more obvious it becomes that they were envisioning something different, bigger, and longer. However, due to issues like Konami going out of games business and the lead developer being Hideo Kojima, it ended up being cut to two releases, Act 0 as GZ, then the Phantom Pain which ended up scrapping the entire 3rd and 4th Acts, with the 2nd Act being reduced to a number of easy-to-script missions in the middle of nowhere and revisits to old stuff to make up for the missing content.

It is actually loving annoying, since technically the game is solid, and even with the content they did bother to finalize, the amount of "just dicking around potential" is enormous and entertaining. Its just that half of the poo poo you do does not matter in the long run, most of the side stuff goes nowhere, tech trees are mostly bare bones and you pretty much have to watch the actual final act as an bootleg video from Youtube to get some sort of ending for most of the stuff.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Gravity Rush 2 has some really bizarre story missions, both in their content and how they're paced. For example, one mission starts with you trying to deliver invitations for a rich person's party and ends with you defending a slum as the local militia tries to destroy it and kill everyone. Plot points show up and vanish quickly, such as finding that an ally has been brainwashed, and lamenting over it in one mission only for it to be completely solved the next mission and never commented on again.

This actually reminds me a lot of the original game, now that I think about it - at one point, some girl loses a letter she wants to send to her crush, dropping it off the side of the world, and you offer to retrieve it. This starts the next act of the game as, in retrieving it, you discover a revelation about how the world works, find a group of people thought long-dead, begin a struggle to return, and set into motion events that lead until the end of the game. It's so strange.

It's as if, like, Mass Effect's discovery of the Reapers occurred in a mission that started with someone asked you to defeat a group of space bandits or something.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

With Konami in general, the flaws with the Phantom Pain are one thing, but I read from somewhere that Konami was actually making a new version of the MGS3 Snake Eater, which would have been nice. However, they also threw that project away, and recycled its assets on some MGS-themed pachinto-game released only in Japan.

Also; the original FF12 for PS2 had one large DLC full of stuff locked away from the western audiences and it was painfully obvious. There were maps which were criminally underused but fully detailed, mechanics that really had no use in the EU version, and stuff like the star sign alignment (which made a difference on the abilities) which were discussed but not present, available only in the "International edition", a Japan-only GOTY-version of the game.

Because "gently caress the Western Audiences"- a cry to live for if you are a Japanese game company with any history.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Phantom Pain is already one of the most massive single player games of its generation and the one or two dangling plot threads are resolved in the animatic they released of the scrapped final mission so I don't really put too much stock into the idea that the game is some sort of hacksaw abortion. Especially considering Kojima's propensity for being comically overambitious.

Der Kyhe posted:

With Konami in general, the flaws with the Phantom Pain are one thing, but I read from somewhere that Konami was actually making a new version of the MGS3 Snake Eater, which would have been nice. However, they also threw that project away, and recycled its assets on some MGS-themed pachinto-game released only in Japan.

No, what happened was they announced an upcoming Metal Gear title and fans were disappointed when it turned out to just be an MGS3 pachinko game. There was never a remake planned or announced, they just made some new character models and backgrounds in the FOX engine for it's cutscenes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Phantom Pain is already one of the most massive single player games of its generation and the one or two dangling plot threads are resolved in the animatic they released of the scrapped final mission so I don't really put too much stock into the idea that the game is some sort of hacksaw abortion. Especially considering Kojima's propensity for being comically overambitious.

OK, I can live with the rest of the things being overhype for the MGS stuff, but they *did* cut the 3rd act and honestly, most of the 2nd act stuff is more or less a couple of canned animation missions, supplemented with a number of script and voice-over-only stuff, nowhere near the stuff you did in the Act 1. And some mechanics felt honestly quite empty after the first act. So some hacksaw was definitely used.

MGSV was one of the most impressive games to come out for the PS3-generation, though. NO argument there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The biggest thing dragging Just Cause 3 down is how little health you have. A few bullets or an explosion will kill you, even with your constantly regenerating health. You have to play really carefully instead of wildly and chaotic like it expects you to most of the time as a result.

Also, it sort of just ends, then remembers the plot forgot to deal with the actual bad guy, then just has you fight him in a volcano. Then ends again. :shrug:

The whole game's okay but a huge letdown after how good JC2 was.

e: Also the change in the chaos mechanic from "blow poo poo up as money" to "completely destroy a town, then X towns, then Y provinces to unlock a mission" sucks since you can't just drive by in your jet or tank or on the top of some poor dude's suv and keep going, you inevitably have to turn around and finish up each little town in an area to move on in the game.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jan 15, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Despite the improvements since the first game, some of the minigames in Saints Row 2 are just frustrating due to their randomness, like the Mayhem missions. "Go to the Marina District?" That's the worst place, most of the scenery there is indestructible. At least the flaming quadbike races are scripted routes that you can practice and get good at. I'm probably going to just concentrate on the missions for now, some of the side stuff is annoying me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Mann posted:

After Agents of Mayhem I don't put nearly as much stock in the narrative that everything wrong with SR3 and 4 was due to THQ's meddling.
I don't think anyone blames THQ for anything to do with SR4 since they'd already gone out of business by then.

BioEnchanted posted:

Despite the improvements since the first game, some of the minigames in Saints Row 2 are just frustrating due to their randomness, like the Mayhem missions. "Go to the Marina District?" That's the worst place, most of the scenery there is indestructible. At least the flaming quadbike races are scripted routes that you can practice and get good at. I'm probably going to just concentrate on the missions for now, some of the side stuff is annoying me.
The good thing is, you don't have to do any you don't like. Unless you don't like any of them, I guess. But you can easily get enough respect to finish all the story missions by just picking a couple of activities you like and only doing those.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Saint's Rows skewed system for Respect/Style seems kind of weird, partially because it ranks pieces of furniture - for example, certainly having a stripper pole in your bedroom is a thing you can do (if you want it to look like you are practicing pole-dancing yourself), but it's really more pathetic than stylish. The characters are supposed to be gang-bangers but it's not like they don't have a place for that already - seems weird to bring your work home with you. Seems like a desk is just better style, partially because you can actually take a girl home to that without her laughing at you and just walking off. I doubt Shaundi or the other female Saints would be impressed.

If they'd had the desk and pole be equal in style points that would fit better as a customisation thing, because on the one hand the male Saints would be happy about the pole, but the ones that weren't impressed by that would likely prefer the desk because it makes the boss look like he knows what he's doing.

The point is that in the Boss' eyes all that gaudy poo poo is style. It's encouraging you to go full bling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with SR2 is how they made the gang stories completely unconnected to each other so you could play them in any order. So the missions had to be written as if you could be anywhere in the overall story and certain characters don't show up outside of their respective gang arcs. Like Johnny Gat shows up at the beginning of the game and then later on once you finish up the gangs but until you do all three he's only around for Ronin cutscenes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

The point is that in the Boss' eyes all that gaudy poo poo is style. It's encouraging you to go full bling.

Never forget the special edition of Saints Row 2:

That bullet is a USB stick and one of the few pieces of gaming preorder crap I wish I actually owned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

My problem with SR2 is how they made the gang stories completely unconnected to each other so you could play them in any order. So the missions had to be written as if you could be anywhere in the overall story and certain characters don't show up outside of their respective gang arcs. Like Johnny Gat shows up at the beginning of the game and then later on once you finish up the gangs but until you do all three he's only around for Ronin cutscenes.

It's also disappointing if you go yellow, red, green because those first two are far more action packed and :black101: than beating up the green guys was.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Len posted:

It's also disappointing if you go yellow, red, green because those first two are far more action packed and :black101: than beating up the green guys was.

The correct order is clearly red -> green -> yellow (if you're not going to alternate between all three as you go) because Maero's initial attitude makes no sense if you already own half the city and the Ronin are the biggest, most well-connected gang and are located further away from Saints HQ than the other two, and their story leads straight into the Ultor stuff.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

just find out where the fences are my good man and all the mayhem will be easily done

Those multipliers go sky high given a few of those

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think anyone blames THQ for anything to do with SR4 since they'd already gone out of business by then.

The backbone of SR4 was borne from what was supposed to be an expansion pack for 3, so there's surely some echoes of THQ's influence in there. (Plus there's the parts that directly address 3, which are technically THQ's fault. :v:)

Thank christ we didn't actually get Enter the Dominatrix.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Jan 16, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tiggum posted:

The correct order is clearly red -> green -> yellow (if you're not going to alternate between all three as you go) because Maero's initial attitude makes no sense if you already own half the city and the Ronin are the biggest, most well-connected gang and are located further away from Saints HQ than the other two, and their story leads straight into the Ultor stuff.

I'd go green > red > yellow since I remember the tone of green being almost lighthearted compared to red. It's got creepy voodoo stuff but no "our gang-member died a horrible death being dragged behind a car", no "we put radioactive material in your tattoo ink" (okay, since Maero doesn't croak that one is kinda funny), no "we put your girlfriend in the trunk of a car that you unknowingly drove over in your monster-truck".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I'd go green > red > yellow since I remember the tone of green being almost lighthearted compared to red. It's got creepy voodoo stuff but no "our gang-member died a horrible death being dragged behind a car", no "we put radioactive material in your tattoo ink" (okay, since Maero doesn't croak that one is kinda funny), no "we put your girlfriend in the trunk of a car that you unknowingly drove over in your monster-truck".

That's why the Sons of Samedi are a nice palette-cleanser between the Brotherhood and the Ronin.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The green make most sense last from the point of view of you having an actual large gang, you're almost in a full scale war with them. By comparison the red feels like a small dirty feud between two small groups of extremely nasty people and the yellow are somewhere in between in that you have a bigger gang but the stakes are still very personal

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I played Green-Yellow-Red and it worked really well, as the missions become nastier and more personal as you go, culminating in Carlos getting dragged behind the truck and the Boss killing Jessica in retaliation. Felt like a legitimate escalation of brutality as the focus switches from just trying to carve out a niche for the Saints with straightforward gang violence to something much more personal and nasty.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do one mission from each gang, cycling between them. Everything escalates at the same time and the whole city is ripped apart by gang war. :black101:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

But not before doing the secret mission in the Ultor underground labs.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Do one mission from each gang, cycling between them. Everything escalates at the same time and the whole city is ripped apart by gang war. :black101:

This. It also leaves questions like "Why isn't Gat helping me fight the goddamned voodoo weed people?" since poo poo is going to hell simultaneously because that's how the Boss rolls.

Also play the game co-op if you can. I know I had my greatest co-op game experience playing Saints Row 2 with a friend.

You can motorcycle joust with Katana's in co-op (not very well, but its possible)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Despite the improvements since the first game, some of the minigames in Saints Row 2 are just frustrating due to their randomness, like the Mayhem missions. "Go to the Marina District?" That's the worst place, most of the scenery there is indestructible.
Marina District is actually the best Mayhem place. Slot machines, my friend.

Prey takes a really loving sharp downwards turn in quality towards the end when Dahl and his military operators show up. Wasn't terribly enamored with it before, especially considering how much I love Dishonored, but now I'm not even sure I can get myself to finish it. This section just feels like padding. I'm pretty sure I already guessed the big twist anyway (that's my second thing dragging the game down, it's really heavily telegraphed; if I'm right, that is).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just learned that myself the hard way - I used hte restaurant area by the docks, ran a few people over on the way to build some combo, then rocket launcher a million railings, outdoor restaurants and other parts of the docks and I was easily racking up 120 multipliers. 130000 points per rocket. In half the given time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Prey takes a really loving sharp downwards turn in quality towards the end when Dahl and his military operators show up. Wasn't terribly enamored with it before, especially considering how much I love Dishonored, but now I'm not even sure I can get myself to finish it. This section just feels like padding. I'm pretty sure I already guessed the big twist anyway (that's my second thing dragging the game down, it's really heavily telegraphed; if I'm right, that is).

Everyone mentions the Nightmares but those bots are by far the most dangerous/annoying enemies in the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Samuringa posted:

Everyone mentions the Nightmares but those bots are by far the most dangerous/annoying enemies in the game.

The most fearsome enemy in the game is the braindead hacking minigame you have to do constantly once those guys come into play if you want to have a fighting chance and not burn through all your resources killing them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Samuringa posted:

If you hack them they'll kill each other and ignore you. That whole segment did suck though and I was very annoyed by the end. I didn't even bother listening to what the dude had to say, I just stealthed into the room and shotgunned him in the back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Guy Mann posted:

The most fearsome enemy in the game is the braindead hacking minigame you have to do constantly once those guys come into play if you want to have a fighting chance and not burn through all your resources killing them.
Drink water, brain-zap them. Or just regular zap them since its dirt cheap.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Upgrade the stun gun and it one/two shots them.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

poptart_fairy posted:

Cheers, Jawny. I appreciate all that.

Part of the problem it seems is the PS4 interface being a bit clumsy -I needed multiple clicks and setting changes to notice I was able to buy weapons outright, and even then several options were gated behind platinum at first glance; needing more fiddling to get the credits purchase option available.

I'm sure I'll learn it all in time but man this game is not very transparent. A glossary of terms would be handy.

Warframe's kind of a disaster for onboarding new players, unfortunately. They've revamoed and overhauled basically every single system in TR game and haven't necessarily removed references or explanations to out of date mechanics that no longer exist.

The games a bunch of fun and an exceptional time waster but you're far from the first person to have this reaction to it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Near as I can tell I should just clear the star map for now, and look for Serration mods to go with my weapons. Seems to be working so far. :v:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Samuringa posted:

I heard ahead of time that some enemy would need the stun gun so I had it and all related skills fully upgraded by the time they came. They were nothing. Except for you know, the endlessly spawning in which totally fit the playstyle of the game.

Prey is probably the first game I've ever played that made me want an entry in the genre with no combat at all. Put all the time and design space you'd put into combat and put it into traversing the environment. Prey would probably be better with enemies just deleted, I can't imagine how much better it would be if they then compensated for the removal of combat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Futuresight posted:

Prey is probably the first game I've ever played that made me want an entry in the genre with no combat at all. Put all the time and design space you'd put into combat and put it into traversing the environment. Prey would probably be better with enemies just deleted, I can't imagine how much better it would be if they then compensated for the removal of combat.

I think Prey’s enemies were part of what elevated the game’s atmosphere, because the Typhon were just so alien and hosed up. Also mimics.

Something similar with the same level of “interesting challenges where, if you think of a solution that fits with the tools you are given, it almost definitely will work” and no enemies would be fantastic.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

RBA Starblade posted:

The biggest thing dragging Just Cause 3 down is how little health you have. A few bullets or an explosion will kill you, even with your constantly regenerating health. You have to play really carefully instead of wildly and chaotic like it expects you to most of the time as a result.

Also, it sort of just ends, then remembers the plot forgot to deal with the actual bad guy, then just has you fight him in a volcano. Then ends again. :shrug:

The whole game's okay but a huge letdown after how good JC2 was.

e: Also the change in the chaos mechanic from "blow poo poo up as money" to "completely destroy a town, then X towns, then Y provinces to unlock a mission" sucks since you can't just drive by in your jet or tank or on the top of some poor dude's suv and keep going, you inevitably have to turn around and finish up each little town in an area to move on in the game.

Yeah, I really missed the old dodge button in firefights for that extra movement. It's not really a cover shooter but just zipping around constantly will get you killed pretty quick, so I don't know how they're expecting you to play? Got really sick of the police stations really quickly too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't know about the bots so I got caught by surprise. I did have some spare neuromods to give me the Eletroshock, but even then they were still very annoying. You get ambushed by one of those and it's 20% of your suit integrity gone. I'd just do a quick stun and bolt the gently caress out of the room.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Futuresight posted:

I heard ahead of time that some enemy would need the stun gun so I had it and all related skills fully upgraded by the time they came. They were nothing. Except for you know, the endlessly spawning in which totally fit the playstyle of the game.

There's an indie game called Consortium that is basically that, it has a full inventory and combat system but there's only like three firefights in the entire game and all the rest of it is you running around a futuristic air ship disarming ship standoffs and solving murder mysteries while juggling the possibility of the characters realizing that the player character is actually being controlled by the player.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

darkwasthenight posted:

Yeah, I really missed the old dodge button in firefights for that extra movement. It's not really a cover shooter but just zipping around constantly will get you killed pretty quick, so I don't know how they're expecting you to play? Got really sick of the police stations really quickly too.

They are expecting you to play it with hit-and-run tactics, like zip-kick a guy & while doing that you kill two others with a shotgun then throw a grenade and zip out. You regenerate health pretty quickly so by the time you've manoeuvred around and are coming in again you should be at decent health. Also generally you can prioritize your actual objectives & blow everything up instead of killing everyone first.

My own issue with JC3 is that one of the Blast challenges after 2 years still has an invisible wall in front of the target so you have to make some awkward jumps at breakneck speed and hope you did everything perfectly to have a chance of getting even close to the required score. If I wasn't using JC3 as my podcast game I would have given up on getting 5 gears on every challange.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Tiggum posted:

WWE 2k18

I genuinely can't play these games on modern systems because they removed custom music. I might have brain problems because just that one little thing was enough to put me off the whole drat franchise.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm curious, and be sure to spoiler it, but what are you thinkingthe twist is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I'm curious, and be sure to spoiler it, but what are you thinkingthe twist is?
Morgan, at least the Morgan you play as, is a Typhon with memory implants. Not sure if that means there never was a real Morgan or the real one is dead, but that's at the center of it. There's a transcribe you can find fairly early on, I think in the head of Psychotronics' office, where they basically spell it out.

To be fair, I had actually read some Prey spoilers before, but not, I think, this specific one. Something vague about how there were multiple simulations or apartments and maybe remembering that set me on the right track.