Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Life is less difficult for Sigrun. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Does Max Haas play with the toy robot in the opening cutscene if you don't grab it in an earlier mission?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Just fyi, the latest video is still unlisted.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kurieg posted:

Just fyi, the latest video is still unlisted.

Yeah, I'm going to leave story videos unlisted until the next one gets posted for a bit. People had stuff spoiled by random YouTube comments previously and that is my way of avoiding it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, I'm going to leave story videos unlisted until the next one gets posted for a bit. People had stuff spoiled by random YouTube comments previously and that is my way of avoiding it.

Link them on Polsy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Life is less difficult for Sigrun. :unsmith:
Or a lot more if they weren't careful. :ohdear:

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 13, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo that hand scene was brutal as gently caress. That last cutscene....... wow.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 13, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Dreadwroth posted:

Holy poo poo that hand scene was brutal as gently caress. That last cutscene....... wow.

But have you seen the kind look on Anya’s face? :v:
Wyatt’s cutscene has him in delirium miring a 2d Disney-esque caterpillar iirc

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

You know what I love? A good old fashioned rampage. Preferably through the streets of a deserted city populated only by Nazis. Yes. Cathartisim is the name of the game today as BJ sets fire to everything wrong with the alternate timeline in which he lives. The MachineGames series of Wolfenstein games all feature a similar section to what we see here, which brings up some interesting comparisons. In TNO you pilot a fully functional deathbot to get out of a concentration camp. In The Old Blood you take control to something close to what we have here, through there is a lot more "get on, get off" action for that and you used your standard weapons while on its back. The fact that this robot piloting section is a fun blend of both of those experiences is therefore worth noting. Instead of having a fully armed mil-spec robot we get this sort of basic model that can shoot fire. We also don't have to suffer the indignity of using our own guns from the back of the steel monstroity we are straddling for most of this episode. instead we get to set things on fire and have fun, which I think is the main point of any game. The fun, not necessarily the fire. The doggy segment itself may be pretty quick, but it is fun and we do get to come back to it, so it isn't like this is a one off, never see it again mechanic. You see it at least twice!

No Spoilers for the next episode, please.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Spoilering just in case

So obviously one of those guys was Ronald Regan. Who were the other actors auditioning?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Oh man, Venus may be something else from the way this game normally goes, but it's something else.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lazyfire posted:

Cathartisim is the name of the game today as BJ sets fire to everything wrong with the alternate timeline in which he lives.

People thought that making a beloved FPS character into a follower of a 12th century French Gnostic Christian movement would never work, but they're wrong, wrong!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
B.J. Just believes in the old religious saying "if it's heretical, use fire." Nazis happen to be very very very heretical.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 17, 2018

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Old Blood's vehicle section didn't include you using your own weapons. You have attacked by sweeping and smashing things with your walker's arms.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Five posted:

Ronald Regan.

The actor!?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

He was both.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was both.

You shame me by missing my rad pop culture reference.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Old Blood's vehicle section didn't include you using your own weapons. You have attacked by sweeping and smashing things with your walker's arms.

Nazi zombies would get on the Walker and you had to shoot them off. Granted, I should have replayed it or watched my videos to be sure, but that was my major memory of the section.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, uh, this is not the turn I expected this game to take. And for a second there, I thought that BJ was about to aim the cannon for a direct hit on the ausmerzer...

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, uh, this is not the turn I expected this game to take. And for a second there, I thought that BJ was about to aim the cannon for a direct hit on the ausmerzer...

It is what I was hoping for as well, but everything about that video was oh so satisfying.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Something I think is pretty brilliant in this level is how in most video games, when you hear your wife under gunfire or the escape vehicle is stuck, that generally becomes the next objective. Here, that's purely world building stuff going on in the background.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coco13 posted:

Something I think is pretty brilliant in this level is how in most video games, when you hear your wife under gunfire or the escape vehicle is stuck, that generally becomes the next objective. Here, that's purely world building stuff going on in the background.

If Anya says she's good, BJ trusts she's good because he trusts her.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I was just hearing this for the entire flamethrower dog segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ykAXB3JFy4

It is a good dog.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Ah, the fully upgraded shotgun, when you have to kill some unlucky motherfucker, everyone standing next to him, everyone in the room, and half the motherfuckers in the next room.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, uh, this is not the turn I expected this game to take.

I love the fact that the simple answer to "this thingy has an automated security system" immediately turns to "better go to Venus to get the codes then", rather than just blow it the gently caress up with your nuclear cannon armed submarine.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Coco13 posted:

I really like that - it's sensible, too. Through the whole first game and the first couple acts of this one I kept expecting them to kill Anya off for cheap drama. It's been a wonderful surprise that instead she's a massive badass who's still running commando operations while in her late second trimester.

God help any Nazis left when those kids get old enough to hold a hatchet.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Nazi zombies would get on the Walker and you had to shoot them off. Granted, I should have replayed it or watched my videos to be sure, but that was my major memory of the section.

Two consecutive ground pounds would knock the zombies off

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tempest_56 posted:

I really like that - it's sensible, too. Through the whole first game and the first couple acts of this one I kept expecting them to kill Anya off for cheap drama. It's been a wonderful surprise that instead she's a massive badass who's still running commando operations while in her late second trimester.

God help any Nazis left when those kids get old enough to hold a hatchet.

It's also foreshadowed by her talking to Caroline about training to be a combat operative in game 1, as well as the diary about her wide array of more covert serial-killer style nazi murdering. Anya and BJ are both exceptionally good killers.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Night10194 posted:

It's also foreshadowed by her talking to Caroline about training to be a combat operative in game 1, as well as the diary about her wide array of more covert serial-killer style nazi murdering. Anya and BJ are both exceptionally good killers.

And they're having twins. The nazis are hosed.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Atomikus posted:

And they're having twins. The nazis are hosed.

So are demons from hell and whatever the enemies in Commander Keen are. BJ is apparently the patriarch of a very extensive line of video game heroes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lazyfire posted:

So are demons from hell and whatever the enemies in Commander Keen are. BJ is apparently the patriarch of a very extensive line of video game heroes.

Wait, BJ is Doom Marine's ancestor?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Wait, BJ is Doom Marine's ancestor?

According to the cell phone RPG, yes. It's the only one where the Doom Marine has a last name.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Lazyfire posted:

whatever the enemies in Commander Keen are.

Aliens - Vorticons specifically. But yeah, Billy Blaze (William Joseph Blazkowicz II) is named for his grandfather, as per the hint manual for Wolf 3D.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
i am so ready to see what's next. Part was spoiled for me, but only just enough to be hyped for it.

:black101:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also, a pre-emptive request to show off the thing you can do.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

You know, you have to admire the bravura of the Nazi commander who tells you to throw down your weapons and surrender since you have no chance, as you march upon him with a multi-tonne flame-thrower dog.

Admire only briefly though.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Hardest part of the game coming up. It will be interesting to see how many tries Lazyfire needs to get though it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rectus posted:

Hardest part of the game coming up. It will be interesting to see how many tries Lazyfire needs to get though it.

Like three to five if my first run through the game is anything to go by.

So hey, how do people feel about a full play through on easy mode for the Wyatt story line? I would ignore most of the side content and just bust through everything in short order. I was thinking that I needed to record the game over again for that stuff anyway, so it wouldn't be a ton more effort.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's incredibly fun to play it on easy so I'd be fine with it just so we can see a more run and gun style playthrough :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It'll kill more nazis, so that sounds just fine.

• Locked thread