Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Just be happy you guys don't live in North Dakota like me. It was -38 wind chill here the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Alaois posted:

am i the only person in this thread north of the mason-dixon

I live in Bills Mafia territory. The flaming tables keep it relatively warm.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Alaois posted:

I'm in Baltimore and I'm still not entirely clear on if that counts or not

weird Asian candy posted:

Ah ok. What is your average winter in NJ? Do you get dumped on and frigid temps? Seems like it's pretty decent right now?

It gets fuckin cold yo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Carpetbaggers!

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Alaois posted:

I live in SW Michigan.

It's pretty loving cold out (and has been for while now)

wandler20 posted:

Just be happy you guys don't live in North Dakota like me. It was -38 wind chill here the other day.

But not that cold :lol:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chilichimp posted:

I've been mulling moving to the PNW for... well my entire loving life. How is it Oregon?

I like it a lot out here, though as we get more and more transplants from high cost of living areas driving up housing costs I like it less and less. It’s definitely more expensive and crowded than when I moved here 9 years ago.

But the weather is generally temperate, if often a little damp. You’ve got ocean an hour away, mountain an hour away, hiking and mountain biking and rock climbing and win surfing and kayaking all within an easy drive, and a lot of good food in a city that’s not a sprawling megalopolis.

If you can find a decent paying job it’s definitely a great place to live.

We do have a LOT of homeless though.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

ozymandius1024 posted:

I live in SW Michigan.

It's pretty loving cold out (and has been for while now)

wandler20 posted:

Ew

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm in Baltimore and I'm still not entirely clear on if that counts or not

It gets fuckin cold yo

Wow we have a lot of cold weather goons itt

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“weird Asian candy”" post="“480380104”"]
You get to deal with the 12s on a regular basis huh? Goondolences.
[/quote]

I rooted for the Falcons over the Seahawks when y’all played last year and this year, that’s how much I hate the Seahawks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

^ That always was frustrating. Especially how many many professions can work remotely these days. Or when your employer forces you in, making you drive 2 hours in the snow white knuckling it the whole time, only to be like :v: ok the roads are super bad everyone go home early!

Do you all have salt trucks and means to clear snow and ice or do you just need to wait for it all to melt?

In NOLA we have salt in the kitchen, salt on the table, salt in the rifles, but no salt on the roads.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I rooted for the Falcons over the Seahawks when y’all played last year and this year, that’s how much I hate the Seahawks.

:stare:

That is next level hate. Respect.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

My testicles are retracting just thinking about that. That's too drat cold.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ah ok. What is your average winter in NJ? Do you get dumped on and frigid temps? Seems like it's pretty decent right now?

last friday it was like 60 degrees and rainy. the week before that it was like -13 wind chill.

in summary, New Jersey is a land of contrasts

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Alaois posted:

last friday it was like 60 degrees and rainy. the week before that it was like -13 wind chill.

in summary, New Jersey is a land of contrasts

hah, yep. Chicago would pull crap like that where you would get all 4 seasons in like 12 hours.

I'm getting spoiled down here, it is like low 50s and we have our heat on :v:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Man Panthers twitter is strong

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/953647927137849344

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Frozen Tundra of Charlotte

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Niiiiiiiiiiice, have fun! Where abouts in Mexico? I wish I was on a beach with a drink in hand right about now :(

Playa del Carmen. Wife and I try to come down once a year.

I've been up in Boston for the past 6 years, livin in Rhode Island now, so its a nice break from the super death cold of the NE.

Edit: it's been the worst of our 3 trips here so far. 1st world problems I know, but the resort we are at this time did not at all live up to their description and the real kicker is it's been blah weather. Highest temp so far has been 71F and it's been cloudy windy and spitting rain the whole time. No real fun at the beach. Food is great at least so I've just been staying tequila buzzed and eating good food. It's all good, just not great like the last 2 trips were. Beats loving shoveling snow though, that's for sure.

That Works fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 17, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

That Works posted:

Playa del Carmen. Wife and I try to come down once a year.

We were in playa in November. Where are y’all staying?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

We were in playa in November. Where are y’all staying?

Bahia Principe Sian Kiaan.

I wouldn't recommend it, visits been underwhelming, other than the food its all pretty poor quality. We did Catalonia Royal Tulum (iirc) last year and it was better for the price, we'd go there again. Did Blue Diamond for our honeymoon and it was loving perfect but costs a good 20-30% more than most of the adults only all-inclusive places down here. Highly recommend it though.

Got any ones you like? We don't have kids so try to only hit the adult ones that are not like obvious swinger hangouts, not into that either.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I was up until almost 2 years ago. The fam and I ditched the snow and cold for Arizona.

Got any cool weekend tips? Gonna be in Chicago for five days next week

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

What do you like doing and also why on gods earth are tou coming here at this time of year

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
I wish I was still back in Louisiana sometimes because drat if the whole place doesn't just completely shut down (with good reason) if it happens to snow.

SW Ohio is better about dealing with the stuff but I want my snow days back damnit

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

Like Barudak said...why on earth are you going to Chicago right now?! Hopefully business...

That being said, it kinda limits your options since you kind of have to be inside. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Art Institute, etc though you could hit up Maggie Daily and go skating if you are into that. Joe's Seafood is an amazing restaraunt if you are on business and they are paying. Gotta hit up Lou Malnati's for pizza.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If its business get a comped dinner to Maple and Ash.

Have a glass of malort*

Have a dinner comped at the hancock

Watch the Bulls anemically play Basketball

Go to the museum of science and industry and never leave the Lego exhibit

*You are not allowed to punch me after drinking it no matter how bad you will want to

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

What do you like doing and also why on gods earth are tou coming here at this time of year

Like: eating awesome local food, seeing cool buildings/museums, doing stuff that doesn't exist at home.

We're going because I got my wife great Hamilton seats, hotel and flight for under a grand for Christmas, and we have a few friends there. Plus I like visiting wintery places

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im hoping your seats arent mezzanine back rows for hamilton.

For food whats the budget? Cause Grace and Alinea are michelin 3 stars but like if youre here for sloppy rear end chicago food hit up portillos to eat like every horrible food this place is known for.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

Im hoping your seats arent mezzanine back rows for hamilton.

For food whats the budget? Cause Grace and Alinea are michelin 3 stars but like if youre here for sloppy rear end chicago food hit up portillos to eat like every horrible food this place is known for.

Orchestra center actually!

I'll look into both those places, thanks for the tips.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Oh man I miss Portillos. The combo and their chocolate cake are insaaaaaaaane

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
gently caress Lou Malnati's - Pequod's is where it's at.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Never had Pequod's but no...that is an awful opinion of Lou Malnati's

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
That wasn't to say Lou's is bad, it's very good, Pequods is much better though.

Giordannos is poo poo

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

That wasn't to say Lou's is bad, it's very good, Pequods is much better though.

Giordannos is poo poo

Interesting...I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.

I don't like Giordannos either. When I was a kid they used to have Gino's East and I remember liking that though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

gently caress Lou Malnati's - Pequod's is where it's at.

Pequods is cheesy bread masquerading as deep dish. If I want a pie I dont want it to be all crust

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

That Works posted:

Bahia Principe Sian Kiaan.

I wouldn't recommend it, visits been underwhelming, other than the food its all pretty poor quality. We did Catalonia Royal Tulum (iirc) last year and it was better for the price, we'd go there again. Did Blue Diamond for our honeymoon and it was loving perfect but costs a good 20-30% more than most of the adults only all-inclusive places down here. Highly recommend it though.

Got any ones you like? We don't have kids so try to only hit the adult ones that are not like obvious swinger hangouts, not into that either.

It was our first time and we stayed at the Wyndham Aztecs. Kind of hated it. Bad food, hard beds, old. Location was good for walking to playa, but definitely wouldn’t stay there again. We were debating whether we should even try the all inclusive thing again or just get a condo or air bnb next time, because we ended up eating out half the time anyway. Sounds like there are some better options though.

My girlfriend really liked the idea of an all inclusive, but there so much good, relatively inexpensive food there, and I didn’t like feeling like we were obligated to get our money’s worth at the resort instead of eating out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And we just got this email:

Due to extreme weather possible as freezing temperatures impact Louisiana, Commissioner of Administration Jay Dardenne is announcing that state offices will remain closed Thursday, January 18, in ACADIA, ASCENSION, ASSUMPTION, EAST BATON ROUGE, EAST FELICIANA, IBERIA, IBERVILLE, JEFFERSON, LAFAYETTE, LAFOURCHE, LIVINGSTON, ORLEANS, PLAQUEMINES, POINTE COUPEE, ST. BERNARD, ST. CHARLES, ST. HELENA, ST. JAMES, ST. JOHN, ST. LANDRY, ST. MARTIN, ST. MARY, ST. TAMMANY, TANGIPAHOA, TERREBONNE, VERMILION, WASHINGTON, WEST BATON ROUGE and WEST FELICIANA parishes. 

One more snow day!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

We don't get snow days or even extreme heat days. We did have the city shut down one day because of flash flooding when we had 3 months worth of rain dump in like 3 hours.

My car aquaplaned on the highway going home and people were panic buying groceries (I bought beer and hot dogs) and got a bit drunk on a free day off.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Silly Burrito posted:

One more snow day!

Because my house has no insulation, barely any floors, and high ceilings, it is currently 71 degrees at head height but 46 degrees at floor level...so I'm going into the goddamn office tomorrow, thanks.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ulmont posted:

Because my house has no insulation, barely any floors, and high ceilings, it is currently 71 degrees at head height but 46 degrees at floor level...so I'm going into the goddamn office tomorrow, thanks.

That was one thing I insisted on when building this house. My attic has r-40 cellulose insulation and all the walls have r-19 insulation in them. Definitely worth it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was our first time and we stayed at the Wyndham Aztecs. Kind of hated it. Bad food, hard beds, old. Location was good for walking to playa, but definitely wouldn’t stay there again. We were debating whether we should even try the all inclusive thing again or just get a condo or air bnb next time, because we ended up eating out half the time anyway. Sounds like there are some better options though.

My girlfriend really liked the idea of an all inclusive, but there so much good, relatively inexpensive food there, and I didn’t like feeling like we were obligated to get our money’s worth at the resort instead of eating out.

Kinda depends on what you're looking for I guess. I've been down there a bunch but never seen anything outside of the resort other than the outside of the airport waiting on a shuttle down to the hotel in Playa. Also have taken a bus from there to the ruins and poo poo but never been into the cities. The all inclusive thing is pretty carefree if you get a decent one. This one isn't terrible, but just not as good as the other 2 for a similar price. The food at all 3 has been fantastic and all 3 places have either a buffet or standalone restaurants within that have full on more formal dinners. Usually for those you need to make reservations when you arrive and most of the require long pants + dress shirt etc.

If you're looking to visit more of mexico, see the locals and local spots then it's probably not your thing. If you just want to get somewhere warm and get drunk on a beach or pool bar and have good food then do the all-inclusive.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
TFW your team is getting clowned in one of those "greatest football trick plays" for a game FROM LAST loving YEAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

TFW your team is getting clowned in one of those "greatest football trick plays" for a game FROM LAST loving YEAR.

Thats the NFC South experience.

• Locked thread