Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

turn off the TV posted:

Most ENB's decrease contrast, sure, because most ENB's are terrible and crush the poo poo out of blacks while dumping tons of exaggerated "filmic" effects into the picture. A lot of what Pilgrim does happens before the postprocessing aspects of ENB. It modifies image spaces, weather patterns and climate settings to change a lot of what the in game lighting looks like. It doesn't actually decrease contrast much (if at all) IIRC.

The problem you're going to run into is largely just that most of the picture is very dark, very desaturated and there's a lot of movement in an FPS, which need higher bitrates. For example, here's a comparison between a source capture and the final upload of The Witcher 3 on Youtube.

Thanks! This is a great comparison. I think I'll stick to the vanilla visuals and post-processing for the run, then; I'll switch back to NAC for weather and try and find a similarly creepy soundtrack. Thanks everyone for the feedback; I didn't even really consider the tradeoffs here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Can I get some help identifying a crash? Whenever I fast travel to Sunshine Tidings co-op the game crashes on the load screen and I'm not sure why. I have the crash log if that helps and my load order.

https://pastebin.com/hENgtDAd
https://pastebin.com/3pXVzV9d

Really hoping it isn't a Sim Settlements thing.

Edit
Update - Fast traveling to a nearby area and walking there works though. Seems to be specifically fast traveling to the co-op? That is weird.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 16, 2018

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

horse mans posted:

Thanks! This is a great comparison. I think I'll stick to the vanilla visuals and post-processing for the run, then; I'll switch back to NAC for weather and try and find a similarly creepy soundtrack. Thanks everyone for the feedback; I didn't even really consider the tradeoffs here.

If anything, an ENB that saturates the colors slightly to make up for what you're gonna lose in the conversion to Youtube might help.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

xanthan posted:

Can I get some help identifying a crash? Whenever I fast travel to Sunshine Tidings co-op the game crashes on the load screen and I'm not sure why. I have the crash log if that helps and my load order.

https://pastebin.com/hENgtDAd
https://pastebin.com/3pXVzV9d

Really hoping it isn't a Sim Settlements thing.

Edit
Update - Fast traveling to a nearby area and walking there works though. Seems to be specifically fast traveling to the co-op? That is weird.

Something broke tenpines bluff for me as well, though I'm on vr so that might be part of it. Can't even walk to it though, the cell itself crashes the game

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Something broke tenpines bluff for me as well, though I'm on vr so that might be part of it. Can't even walk to it though, the cell itself crashes the game

Walking there seems to have fixed it for me, no idea how.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you don't like VATS, get a Bullet Time mod. Bullet Time is always fun.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Isn't that just Jet?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

khy posted:

Isn't that just Jet?

Yes, but the Bullet Time button isn't a drug.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
What's the best mod for scraping everything and cleaning up all the garbage in settlements these days?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Pound_Coin posted:

How would I go about replacing all instances of that god awful Lewis assault rifle model with something less bad like the chinese or m16?

i dont want to add stuff, just replace that one gun in the level lists.

There's one, I want to say Simple Assult Rifle Replacer, that switches out the gooy thing for a variety of retro AR15/M-16 choices, with only a few tactilol items. I wanted to try that out, but never got around to it. :smith: Hadles the levelled lists, too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Easier to change the name to 'machine gun' and leave the model as-is. Combat rifle and handmade rifle fill the assault weapon niche.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm pretty sure there's a mod that makes it a heavy weapon like the minigun. Supposedly that's what it was originally going to be.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Halman posted:

What's the best mod for scraping everything and cleaning up all the garbage in settlements these days?

Scrap Everything. But it's probably a little TOO good because it's super easy to scrap, like, road debris that leaves holes and gaps. So be careful if you choose to use it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Terrorforge posted:

Arguably yes, but not against synths specifically. Though frankly I've never found that any armor works particularly well against them; I've been in full PA with decent ER and still felt like I was getting cut to ribbons.

I'll endorse "switch to full auto and target their weak spot in VATS" as a good strategy for basically any enemy, and would also like to say that in Horizon you can usually brute force a problem by expending more resources. Converting the caps or rare materials you've been saving into healing, explosives, consumable buffs and special ammo can usually allow you to briefly go nova and clear out one dungeon.

Polished adds a hell of a lot of energy resistance to metal armour so I figure that's probably good against synths, though leather would probably be about as good.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

khy posted:

Scrap Everything. But it's probably a little TOO good because it's super easy to scrap, like, road debris that leaves holes and gaps. So be careful if you choose to use it.

Thanks

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

Arguably yes, but not against synths specifically. Though frankly I've never found that any armor works particularly well against them; I've been in full PA with decent ER and still felt like I was getting cut to ribbons.

Horizon Synths are loving lethal, agreed. Probably the most dangerous enemies in the game leaving aside the occasional Gunner with a gauss rifle.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

The Lone Badger posted:

Horizon Synths are loving lethal, agreed. Probably the most dangerous enemies in the game leaving aside the occasional Gunner with a gauss rifle.

I always clench my buttcheeks whenever I'm spotted by super mutants because 9/10 times they're all just bags of hp with harmless pea shooters, but the tenth time one of them has a pipe bolt-action chambered in .50 API, and those will knock your teeth out through your rear end in a top hat no matter how many layers of steel you're hiding behind.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a mod that makes it a heavy weapon like the minigun. Supposedly that's what it was originally going to be.

Was this the one?

Alternative Assault Rifle Properties

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think that is the one I was thinking of, yes.

I was able to get Rise of the Commonwealth to work in a non-Horizon game. Put Codsworth in charge of a town, and put a city plan in effect and then got the cinematic for laying the foundation. Pretty cool!

So I reinstalled Horizon, got the upgraded desk and used the City Planner panel. I was able to put Codsworth in charge, but for some reason there are no city plans. Anyone encounter that problem and figure out a way around it? Had city plans without horizon, and then didn't once I got Horizon installed, though it was obviously a different save. Do I need a fresh save to get the changes to take effect?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 17, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which settlement is it? There are no plans for Starlight or Spectacle.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sorry, forgot to mention it, but Sanctuary in both cases.

I had a Horizon game with Rise of the Commonwealth, but it didn't work (couldn't pick leaders or a city plan), so I uninstalled everything, updated Sim Settlements and Industrial Revolution (which I had forgotten to do like a chump), then reinstalled Rise of the Commonwealth and tested it on its own. That worked, and in that save I was able to install Codsworth as a city leader and check a city plan, and it laid its foundations. Then I reinstalled Horizon and went back to the Horizon save I already had in progress. I can put Codsworth or Curie (since I already had her on this save) in charge and donate supplies, but "there are no city plans available for this area."

Looking at comments on the Sim Settlement website, the best I can figure is that data from an old Sim Settlements install can corrupt a Rise of the Settlements install, so I may just have to start a fresh Horizon from scratch unless someone has another idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure then, they should work together cos mine do. The issue of course is that it could be anything in heavily modded saves and horizon/SS/old saves have so much crap in them that I dunno how to begin diagnosing it.

I think there are some debug commands in SS as well as holotape options for resetting stuff. Dunno if that'll help, otherwise I think the advice is to uninstall SS, resave the game without it, then reinstall it and try again to fully reset it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Okay, I was right and restarting from scratch fixed it. Hopefully I won't have to start a new game next time things update. That'd be demoralizing.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

I always felt like infinitely replenishable bullet time is a bit cheaty. With VATS you're at least relying on dice rolls. If you slow down time and actually use your own coordination you're bound to do a lot better than the odds you get from VATS, 7-crits-stored-get-crit-when-you-crit LVL 50 builds aside.

Anyway, I haven't played FO4 in a while, but is there a mod to make holotapes and notes have their own god drat section already?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm playing FO4 for the first time in a long time, and installed Horizon and Sim Settlements (plus expansions) and it all appears to be working correctly.

I built a city planners desk and made Codsworth the mayor of Sanctuary. My question is, how will I know when the "foundation" level is complete, and is there a way to tell if progress has stopped due to a material shortage? Is 'donating' materials the same as throwing junk into the workshop? Will it list my city as 'level 1' when it's done? Lots of stuff was built very quickly, but now it's all tapered off but I can't imagine it's done yet, as I'm missing a lot of crafting station, etc. Just curious what the in-game time frame is for this.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Halser posted:

Anyway, I haven't played FO4 in a while, but is there a mod to make holotapes and notes have their own god drat section already?

Item sorting mods like Valdacil's plus Def_Inv will do this for you. Maybe just the sorter alone, I don't know. If you get Rename Everything, you can add the sorting keywords to anything that doesn't automatically get picked up (I do this with all settings tapes added by mods for example). Sorry for a dearth of links here, I'm on mobile, but all three of those are on Nexus.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Unmodded FO4 is surprisingly stable, modded FO4 is surprisingly UNstable.

I have a very short mod list (Mainly some extra clutter mods, WATM, NAC Weather, Sim Settlements, Better Settlement Defense, and one that gives my settlers names so I can keep track of who's doing what). Somehow this tiny mod list managed to gently caress up my settlements so despite all of them having 10+ food/water/beds and 30+ defense, not a single one was gaining new settlers. And what's more, Preston had not just SLOWED DOWN his minutemen quests, he'd stopped giving them out ENTIRELY. Instead of the 96 hour cooldown WATM promised, I checked back every day for two weeks in-game and he wouldn't give me a new radiant quest.

I may have to start a new game, but has anyone encountered similar problems that might know where I could identify a solution?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

khy posted:

Unmodded FO4 is surprisingly stable, modded FO4 is surprisingly UNstable.

I have a very short mod list (Mainly some extra clutter mods, WATM, NAC Weather, Sim Settlements, Better Settlement Defense, and one that gives my settlers names so I can keep track of who's doing what). Somehow this tiny mod list managed to gently caress up my settlements so despite all of them having 10+ food/water/beds and 30+ defense, not a single one was gaining new settlers. And what's more, Preston had not just SLOWED DOWN his minutemen quests, he'd stopped giving them out ENTIRELY. Instead of the 96 hour cooldown WATM promised, I checked back every day for two weeks in-game and he wouldn't give me a new radiant quest.

I may have to start a new game, but has anyone encountered similar problems that might know where I could identify a solution?

Why would you want to fix this?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Why would you want to fix this?

Because I cannot unlock the Castle until I do enough Minutemen radiant quests, and I want to unlock the castle so I can call down artillery.

Don't get me wrong, not being bugged about a settlement needing my help is not a bad thing, but I don't MIND doing them every now and again. IIRC there are settlements that can only be unlocked via minutement quests, right? So if WATM worked properly and actually gave me the four day delay that it promises I'd be thrilled, but somehow it's hosed up and I don't know where to start in fixing it.

khy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 17, 2018

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

khy posted:

Because I cannot unlock the Castle until I do enough Minutemen radiant quests, and I want to unlock the castle so I can call down artillery.

Don't get me wrong, not being bugged about a settlement needing my help is not a bad thing, but I don't MIND doing them every now and again. IIRC there are settlements that can only be unlocked via minutement quests, right? So if WATM worked properly and actually gave me the four day delay that it promises I'd be thrilled, but somehow it's hosed up and I don't know where to start in fixing it.

Pfsh, fight your own battles, coward.

Couple of things, to answer more seriously...

I haven't used WATM, but is it in any way configurable how much time between settlement radiant quests? If so, maybe try futzing with the value, setting it super low, and taking a nap somewhere for a long time.

Try the old Gamebryo mainstay of staying in doors somewhere for three days then blowing yourself up in a way that dismembers you. I haven't heard anyone needing to do this for any particular reason in FO4, but it's GamebryoCreation, you never know.

Look up the console commands for manipulating quests, and look up the quest id and quest step ids for the castle, maybe you can jumpstart the quest by forcing it.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

khy posted:

I have a very short mod list (Mainly some extra clutter mods, WATM, NAC Weather, Sim Settlements, Better Settlement Defense, and one that gives my settlers names so I can keep track of who's doing what). Somehow this tiny mod list managed to gently caress up my settlements so despite all of them having 10+ food/water/beds and 30+ defense, not a single one was gaining new settlers.

Let's start with he "did you try turning it off and back on again" part of the troubleshooting: did you make sure those settlements have recruitment beacons going? Also, what number of settlers are they stuck at? Which mod manager are you using?

Oh and that settler renaming mod wouldn't happen to be Don't Call me Settler, would it? That one is notoriously buggy and prone to loving up your game in unexpected ways, to the point where it was removed from the nexus so I don't know how you'd even get your hands on it but it doesn't hurt to check. Fallout 4 modding is pretty stable in general, but there are more than a few mods that are individually broken as hell.

khy posted:

And what's more, Preston had not just SLOWED DOWN his minutemen quests, he'd stopped giving them out ENTIRELY. Instead of the 96 hour cooldown WATM promised, I checked back every day for two weeks in-game and he wouldn't give me a new radiant quest.

What's he doing? Did you assign him as a leader for Sim Settlements or something? I dunno if that would cause problems, but it's the only place I can see a conflict from the mods you mentioned. Maybe share your full load order?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Halser posted:

I always felt like infinitely replenishable bullet time is a bit cheaty. With VATS you're at least relying on dice rolls. If you slow down time and actually use your own coordination you're bound to do a lot better than the odds you get from VATS, 7-crits-stored-get-crit-when-you-crit LVL 50 builds aside.

While VAFFS or whatever bullet-time mod I'm using does get a little silly (SLO-MO magdump pistol jump to the side while reloading magdump while charging forward and pistol-whip to finish SLO-MO ENDS), it's amusing enough that I'm going to keep it. VATS just makes it multiple-possible-viewpoint with perkable bonuses.

Where it gets cheaty is the top tier of Penetrator, because spotting enemies through cover and being able to shoot through said cover is Vault-Tec's patented Wallhack mod. (Stand in Goodneighbor warehouse, spot Triggermen through walls/ceilings, murder them all, loot in peace. :unsmigghh:)(Weaponsmith Extended's change to .50 AE plus rechambering weapons means a fully-modded Silver Submachinegun is now the Finger of Death for recon by fire.)

Is there a list of who can become a city manager for the new Sim Settlement version/addon? If you use a companion, what happens if you decide to take them out murdering again?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

I haven't used WATM, but is it in any way configurable how much time between settlement radiant quests? If so, maybe try futzing with the value, setting it super low, and taking a nap somewhere for a long time.

I can't find anywhere to adjust the WATM settings; wish it had MCM support. I am playing on Survival so I've not yet tried anything in the form of sleeping for 24-30 days or whatever. Probably gotta stock way the hell up on food to give that a try.

Terrorforge posted:

Let's start with he "did you try turning it off and back on again" part of the troubleshooting: did you make sure those settlements have recruitment beacons going? Also, what number of settlers are they stuck at? Which mod manager are you using?
MO2, turned the beacon on/off multiple times. Had one instance I ran up to Sanctuary to try talking to Preston - checked the pipboy and the radio was greyed out, but the beacon was turned ON. I turned it off and on again, had the radio station this time properly, still no new settlers.

Sanctuary is stuck at 5 (I had 8 but sent those extra 3 over to the Drive-In), Drive in at 3, Tenpines is at 4, and the Co-Op is at 4. All four have sufficient power and beacons turned on.

The settler renaming mod I use is Immersive Settlers. A stupid name for a mod which literally just gives them a name from a list at random, but it seemed to be working up until the point where I stopped getting new settlers.

As for Preston, he's wandering around unassigned to anything in Sanctuary. I can talk to him and it just gives me the usual four options - How are you feeling?, Come with me, Let's trade, Don't need anything.

I'm not at home so I can't post my LOOT-sorted load order, but here's a list of mods I have :

All 6 DLC mods
Unofficial FO4 Patch
Settlement Limit Slashed
WATM Basic
Longer Power Lines
Better Settlement Defense
Immersive Settlers
Keep Radiants in the Commonwealth
Settler Sandbox Overhaul (I keep getting settlers in Sanctuary stuck on rooftops and I suspect this is the culprit so I may be getting rid of it)
Vivid Weathers
Survival Options
Expanded Dialogue
Sim Settlements
Scrap Everything
Settlement Menu Manager
Creative Clutter
OCDesigner

I've heard that mods that mess with settlement stuff can conflict with the Unofficial Patch but I don't know how true or false that is. I know in past Bethesda games the unofficial patch was a must-have, but just how important is it in FO4?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Is there a list of who can become a city manager for the new Sim Settlement version/addon? If you use a companion, what happens if you decide to take them out murdering again?

It's just companions for now.

According to the patch notes, removing the leader by bringing them along will halt construction to resume on their return, Probably any leader's return, but the notes are a little vague.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Terrorforge posted:

It's just companions for now.

According to the patch notes, removing the leader by bringing them along will halt construction to resume on their return, Probably any leader's return, but the notes are a little vague.

Bummer. Named residents like at the Slog or Finch Farm should be able to picked, but I suspect that's on the way.

Not that I can use it unless I restart, anyway.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Gonna come and ask for help with my mods later when I can get the list. also need to update my mods as it seems theres a new addon for simsettlers

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

xanthan posted:

Walking there seems to have fixed it for me, no idea how.

Glad that worked for you! No can do for me. At this point, I don't care enough to restart or uninstall stuff to try to fix it, most I'll be willing to do is figure out how to get my NMM to work with my regular fallout instead of the VR and transfer the save over, see if I can't do something that way.
The annoying part is that Preston is in my broken Tenpines so I am locked out of settlements that require I go through him.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Glad that worked for you! No can do for me. At this point, I don't care enough to restart or uninstall stuff to try to fix it, most I'll be willing to do is figure out how to get my NMM to work with my regular fallout instead of the VR and transfer the save over, see if I can't do something that way.
The annoying part is that Preston is in my broken Tenpines so I am locked out of settlements that require I go through him.

Open console, "getthefuck.overhere <base id>".

Whereupon he immediately tells you to go to Tenpines and protect them from the Legendary feral bloated glowing radroach swarm.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Having multiple mods that affect the same system (i.e. settlements) without some sort of compatibility patch is just asking for trouble. You can't blame Fallout 4 for this one, this is a rule in all Bethesda games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Having multiple mods that affect the same system (i.e. settlements) without some sort of compatibility patch is just asking for trouble. You can't blame Fallout 4 for this one, this is a rule in all Bethesda games.

This is generally true but it's also the case that Fallout 4 has a LOT more scripting going on than previous games and I suspect that means that there's a lot of cases were conflicts may not be readily apparent. It's a lot easier to troubleshoot conflicts within ESPs that are adjusting items in-game, and a lot tougher to troubleshoot when scripts are misbehaving.