Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Big Taint posted:

The inverse bow maximizes waterline length and thus hull speed, and with a fine entry like that helps pierce waves to minimize pounding, which is an issue with these flat-bottomed race boats.

I see, they trade pounding for constantly trying to drown everyone on the boat. :v:

I didn't realize that hull speed was a thing for that hull design, as they are obviously going way above the calculated hull speed for that length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Locator posted:

I watched this and I was trying to imagine what sort of reaction you would get if you could magically go back in time to the age of sail and show some captain's this:

I don't think you should underestimate just how incredibly optimized the last few generations of commercial cargo sailing ships were. Sure, 19th century ship architects didn't have access to modern materials and I'd bet their designs weren't nearly as good close to the wind as modern ones, but they were designed and built by people who built on a huge amount of experience and empirical test data - they knew a thing or two about sailing. There were sailing ship speed records set by clippers that stood unbeaten for well over a hundred years - for example, the 225ft clipper Champion of the Sea held the 24-hour sailing speed record at 19.46 knots between 1854 and 1984, or if you only compare monohull to monohull, all the way up until 2002. There are more than a handful of records of clippers that averaged 18 knots or more over a 24 hour period as well, and modern monohulls only started to reach those numbers in the 1990's.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 10, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Those things also turned a profit.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's all true, but at the same time these modern boats are much smaller than the ones you've described. (usually a much shorter LWL)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oh the Clippers were absolutely the peak of the end of the age of sail, and were beautiful as well as extremely fast and also quite large for sailing ships. However what I normally think of the age of sail is pre-clipper, when ships like HMS Victory ruled the seas. I am sure that those guys would have been blown away by the clipper ships too from a performance view.

I was just thinking of how they would react to seeing a small mono-hull like that flying *through* the waves at such incredible speeds in conditions that rough and just shedding water over the entire length of the boat without slowing down. I grew up on small boats, both sailing and powered, and it loving amazes me to see them do what they do!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"Cool. Where do you put the guns / cargo, though?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The last windjammer in commercial service sank a fortnight before the launch of Sputnik and three days after the Traitorous Eight quit their jobs to became the founders of Silicon Valley.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 11, 2018

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

NMEA 2000 chat. Anyone using one of these devices to display your NMEA data on a laptop or other device? https://ikommunicate.com/

It looks like a pretty cool device for displaying NMEA data.

I'm wanting to add NMEA to my powerboat to do real-time engine monitoring as well as having the ability to display gps speed and depth. Fox Marine makes a device that plugs into my ECM to provide engine data to the NMEA network along with an NMEA enabled tranducer and GPS would give me depth and speed. The issue comes when trying to display everything. Buying a $3000 sonar/graph seems silly when I boat on small inland lakes and don't need the navigation or bottom contour for anything. Thinking I could use a couple tablets that I already have to display the NMEA information by adding this ikommunicate along with a simple router in the boat. Thoughts?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
https://www.panbo.com/search.html?q=Ikommunicate
Ben is my go to for that sort of info... Looks like he's used one, but hasn't said anything recently. Cool idea, though.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I'm thinking of getting a kayak to putter around on the local tiny state park lake on (idk if they even allow powerboats, and if they do the whole lake is no-wake zone) in the off-season (they rent sit-on kayaks and canoes, but only in the summer). Besides, it's just me and my cameras, I don't need anything big, the smaller the better. Budget is max $700USD, preferably closer to 1/3 that. Are inflatable kayaks any good? I drive a car* without a roof rack, so inflatable would be nice, but I'm sure I could find some way to bodge on a carrier for a tiny boat, or hack up one of those cheap Harbor Freight trailers.

This looks perfectly cromulent for a rigid-hulled boat, but I saw a few inflatables on Amazon for around the same price that would fit in the trunk ...

*the front passenger seat reclines full-flat to be a chaise lounge for the rear passenger, I saw that feature in the manual and thought "bed for my short self" -- I'll have to pay RV price for campsite at the state park with the tiniest RV, won't I? But it's only $10 difference, and the photo alone would be worth it -- tour-bus-sized Winnebagos and 40' fifth-wheel trailers hooked up to giant diesel pickups surrounding my lil' (big for its home market, but a foot shorter -- but same tires as -- my former cop car) Korean luxury car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

A friend of mine has a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak and he loves the thing and drags it all over the Western us into remote lakes and canyons and then posts amazing pics to Facebook almost every weekend. I would say an inflatable would be more than good enough for the type of lake you are talking about.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
You can also look in to packrafts, which are like extremely lightweight and packable mini kayaks. I have one that weighs like 3lbs and takes up less space than my sleeping bag.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

sharkytm posted:

https://www.panbo.com/search.html?q=Ikommunicate
Ben is my go to for that sort of info... Looks like he's used one, but hasn't said anything recently. Cool idea, though.

Thanks. Good read on Ikommunicate and a valuable site overall for other information it would appear.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Progress on my boat is.. happening again. Both side tanks have tops, and I'm working on the front deck.

We're quickly closing in on the point where I am actually going to need to build a mast.

This puddle duck has taken a full year longer than I expected. .... as a point of advice, which the EAA peopel will tell you too, is make sure your build enviroment is close to home, and ~yours~. Shared spaces, and distance makes builds take forever.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Delivery McGee posted:

I drive a car* without a roof rack, so inflatable would be nice, but I'm sure I could find some way to bodge on a carrier for a tiny boat, or hack up one of those cheap Harbor Freight trailers.

1) You can get foam block and strap kits that don't require a roof rack for carrying kayaks on your roof. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Car-Top-Kayak-Carrier-Kit/dp/B003EET2OE

2) Harbor Freight stopped selling and recalled their trailers. Looks like there was an issue with the tires possibly not being DOT compliant. http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20171024/NEWS/171029982/harbor-freight-tools-recalls-173000-trailer-tires

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Scrapez posted:

NMEA 2000 chat. Anyone using one of these devices to display your NMEA data on a laptop or other device? https://ikommunicate.com/

It looks like a pretty cool device for displaying NMEA data.

I'm wanting to add NMEA to my powerboat to do real-time engine monitoring as well as having the ability to display gps speed and depth. Fox Marine makes a device that plugs into my ECM to provide engine data to the NMEA network along with an NMEA enabled tranducer and GPS would give me depth and speed. The issue comes when trying to display everything. Buying a $3000 sonar/graph seems silly when I boat on small inland lakes and don't need the navigation or bottom contour for anything. Thinking I could use a couple tablets that I already have to display the NMEA information by adding this ikommunicate along with a simple router in the boat. Thoughts?

I've never done anything with boat electronics but this dude's video series of him setting up and using an ikommunicate is pretty neat and looks like it has some really nice functionality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-uyebuncPU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

-Anders posted:

You can also look in to packrafts, which are like extremely lightweight and packable mini kayaks. I have one that weighs like 3lbs and takes up less space than my sleeping bag.

Results on Amazon are sparse, you mean the inflatables that compress into a backpack?

What I really want is, like, a one-man RHIB. The inflatable boat I had as a kid (and is still in Mom's closet) was chancy to get in/out of when I weighed half what I do now. (150lb now, I could probably built a boat that would fit in the back seat of the car, but :effort: )

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
No, I mean packrafts. https://www.google.dk/search?q=pack...mobile&ie=UTF-8
Although they're certainly not anything like a rhib, so it might not be what you're looking for.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
So, just a teensy inflatable kayak. I suppose for RHIB-ness I could just build a "boat" of quarter-inch plywood exactly the width of my rear end and duct-tape it inside one of those.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is this the thread where I can ask sailing questions?

I've had the desire to learn how to sail for a while now. I live in Santa Barbara, so I'm very close to the ocean, and I know we have a pretty good sailing school/club. I've done some reading, and I think I have realistic expectations (renting a boat a few times a year for a trip to the Santa Barbara Channel Islands or up toward Big Sur, no international trips).

Questions:
How long does it take for me to learn how to sail? If I were to take 8 days off of work, and met with an instructor every day, would I be somewhat proficient at going on a single day trip on my own?

How frequently do I have to go sailing for me to not forget everything I have learned?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

I've had the desire to learn how to sail for a while now. I live in Santa Barbara, so I'm very close to the ocean, and I know we have a pretty good sailing school/club. I've done some reading, and I think I have realistic expectations (renting a boat a few times a year for a trip to the Santa Barbara Channel Islands or up toward Big Sur, no international trips).

Questions:
How long does it take for me to learn how to sail? If I were to take 8 days off of work, and met with an instructor every day, would I be somewhat proficient at going on a single day trip on my own?

How frequently do I have to go sailing for me to not forget everything I have learned?

Best way to learn to sail is to crew aboard a boat for racing. Look up Beer Can or JaM (jib and main) racing series in your area. Check forums and local yacht clubs usually have postings (or just email and ask) boats looking for crew. There are always people looking for an extra hand even just as rail meat so don't worry about having zero experience. This is also by far the cheapest way to learn to sail. Ask a bunch of questions before/after and people will usually be very willing to explain what was happening. Things happen very fast during a race and your first few times out it will seem incomprehensible but if you can learn to race, day sailing will be a breeze.

If you took 8 days of sailing with an instructor you would probably feel comfortable enough to go out but probably not alone. Taking classes is a good idea in conjunction with crewing aboard a race boat. Get a basic "How to sail" book on Amazon to learn the basics and points of sail.

Going out alone isn't out of the question but you'll probably feel better having at least one other person (even if they don't sail) to help you manage lines and when docking/leaving harbor. This also depends on the size of boat you'll be renting, the bigger the boat the more likely you'll want someone else to help out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

If you are renting a boat they are highly likely to ask that you get a certification (I forget what they are called right now) or take a class from them, or at least pass both a practical and written examination before they'll let you rent a boat from them. The practical will of course require you renting the boat and paying their sailing instructor guy.

Check with your local rental places about what they require, and then go crew on racing boats while you determine how you'll go about meeting the rental requirements.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Questions:

I did ASA classes up in the bay area over all the weekends for a month (101 and 103) this summer and while I wouldn't say I know what I am doing I can take a boat out and sail it around with inexperienced crew in easy conditions.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks for the input. I should have clarified that I would take the class through an ASA certified school that also rents boats, so I would have realistic expectations about what classes I need to take. The idea of "taking 8 days" should have read "take an 8-day vacation = 12 days if you include the two weekends".

I'll do more reading so at least I know all the words for all the parts.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I took a six-week course a couple of years ago (3 hours every Sunday, for six weeks, so 18 hours total), and I think I could still take out a smallish (~25') boat and singlehand it around on a moderate day without difficulty, despite only going sailing maybe a dozen times since. The hard part for me would be remembering the rules of right-of-way, and probably how to tie the appropriate knots. I didn't think the sailing part was that bad once you remember which thing to pull, and stay aware of your surroundings.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Nerobro posted:

Progress on my boat is.. happening again. Both side tanks have tops, and I'm working on the front deck.

We're quickly closing in on the point where I am actually going to need to build a mast.

This puddle duck has taken a full year longer than I expected. .... as a point of advice, which the EAA peopel will tell you too, is make sure your build enviroment is close to home, and ~yours~. Shared spaces, and distance makes builds take forever.

Oh jesus this. I have my boat parked at a buddy's house, about a mile away, and that has murdered my productivity. I have to plan to work on stuff (and then it doesn't happen bc life...) instead of just going out to the garage when I feel like it and it sucks.

Popete posted:

Best way to learn to sail is to crew aboard a boat for racing. Look up Beer Can or JaM (jib and main) racing series in your area. Check forums and local yacht clubs usually have postings (or just email and ask) boats looking for crew. There are always people looking for an extra hand even just as rail meat so don't worry about having zero experience. This is also by far the cheapest way to learn to sail. Ask a bunch of questions before/after and people will usually be very willing to explain what was happening. Things happen very fast during a race and your first few times out it will seem incomprehensible but if you can learn to race, day sailing will be a breeze.

If you took 8 days of sailing with an instructor you would probably feel comfortable enough to go out but probably not alone. Taking classes is a good idea in conjunction with crewing aboard a race boat. Get a basic "How to sail" book on Amazon to learn the basics and points of sail.

Going out alone isn't out of the question but you'll probably feel better having at least one other person (even if they don't sail) to help you manage lines and when docking/leaving harbor. This also depends on the size of boat you'll be renting, the bigger the boat the more likely you'll want someone else to help out.

I've only got about 5 days on teh water and my instruction consisted of an afternoon with my uncle, and 6 months of reading everything I could get my hands on. A week of lessons would probably get you up to speed a lot faster, but when you're sailing everything has to happen all at once. This was no problem when I had a pair of experienced sailors on board, but I'm still at the 'have-to-think-hard-about-actions' stage and usually sailing with even less experienced crew so it can quickly get loving overwhelming if it's not a calm 5kt afternoon on the lake.
A not small part of me wishes I had bought a dinghy so I could focus on sailing before jumping jumping up to a keel boat, because I'm finding my workload to be 40% sailing and 60% crew management. On the upside, I think I have a job on the LFG's boat this spring for a few regattas and the nationals so I'm looking forward to a racing crash-course (no pun intended) before this summer's sailing season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dinghy sailing is also a fantastic way to learn, it's cheap and it will drill the fundamentals into you very fast. Keel boat sailing is in many ways easier because the platform is more stable and things happen a bit slower but then again you have to manage multiple people so that part is more difficult. I %100 agree, if you can do solo dinghy sailing start there you'll be miles ahead by the time you own a full keel boat.

Dinghy sailing will really give you a good sense of proper trim, you'll more easily be able to experiment with your "controls" to see what happens all that without the pressure of wrecking your expensive new keel boat.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Boat posting! Made it over to the afore mentioned backyard today to for some cleaning, inspecting and planning.

The boat has always collected a little water in the forward bilge after rain, which I suspected was entering through the bow vent on account of it being old and the mounting ring being cracked in a couple of spots.

Yup. And the sealing material was clearly applied sparingly and has since decomposed into crud. Luckily the deck core seems to be okay. It looks bad but it's not punky at all so I may just give it a quick sand and brush it with epoxy.

There's also some water entering through the mounts for bow ladder. I want to ditch that ladder because something on it has broken on literally every sail. As soon as I decide on a new ladder I'll pull the deck hardware and epoxy the hole.

Anyone have any recommendations for a transom ladder that would be safe for my 300lb girlfriend to use? Uh, asking for a friend.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

What boat do you have? Nonskid pattern makes me think it’s a Catalina but not sure what size?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garelick--latch-type-boarding-ladder--302276?recordNum=6

That’s a good ladder, I prefer ladder being midships at the lifeline gate than at transom.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Good eye, it's a Catalina 22.

I hadn't really thought about mounting amidship but it would be nice not having to climb over the stern pulpit (boat has the full, one-piece.)
I'm not sure I want to deal with a removable ladder though, and I like the idea of being able to just flip the ladder down and climb back up in case I ever go overboard while singlehanding.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

monsterzero posted:

Good eye, it's a Catalina 22.

I hadn't really thought about mounting amidship but it would be nice not having to climb over the stern pulpit (boat has the full, one-piece.)
I'm not sure I want to deal with a removable ladder though, and I like the idea of being able to just flip the ladder down and climb back up in case I ever go overboard while singlehanding.

If you go overboard while singlehanded the bigger issue is that the boat is going to be somewhere off in the distance, unless you tie yourself to it.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

TrueChaos posted:

If you go overboard while singlehanded the bigger issue is that the boat is going to be somewhere off in the distance, unless you tie yourself to it.

Agreed, but I don't have any sort of autopilot or even a tiller lock so it should just round up. Right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

No it’s going to sail away and you’ll die.

Don’t single hand without a lifeline.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

That way eventually they'll find your body being towed behind the boat.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

monsterzero posted:

Agreed, but I don't have any sort of autopilot or even a tiller lock so it should just round up. Right?

Eventually sure. The boat I race on has very little weather helm - it's incredibly well balanced. Depending on the point of sail it'd keep going for quite a while.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

Ok, I won't. Really, I'm just lazy and don't want to deal with stowing ladder.

ETA:

TrueChaos posted:

Eventually sure. The boat I race on has very little weather helm - it's incredibly well balanced. Depending on the point of sail it'd keep going for quite a while.

I've got so much weather helm (I am a poor sailor) the boat would probably stop on top of me.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 23, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ask me about being stranded four miles off shore after my Hobie Cat ran off downwind when I didn't hang on to the righting line after turning it back over. I wouldn't dare try sailing solo without a lifeline on a larger boat, along with something to loose the main if the lifeline gets tugged on.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 23, 2018

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Looks like the C22 default is a ladder that swings up on the starboard side of the transom.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2673_81/c-22-swim-ladder-w-wide-bottom-rung.cfm

Is that what you’ve got now?

For singlehanding you could get an emergency roll up ladder and tie it to a stanchion base amidships with a deployment line hanging down a bit so you could pull it from the water. The C22 has pretty low freeboard so you may be able to reach up and swing down the transom ladder if it wasn’t tied off, but if there are big waves the transom can be a scary place to be in the water. And that’s usually when you fall off, when it’s lovely.

Also, if the C22 is like any other Catalina I’ve sailed, it’ll round right up, unless you’re running with just the jib or something.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Do note that any rope-like ladder will be almost entirely impossible to use if you are tired. It will move in under the boat whenever you put your feet on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That is true. Don’t fall off the boat.