Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
The Monet thing has literally been explained by Oda in an SBS. There's no point killing people when you can break their spirit and that's exactly what happened to her. I liked that, it was rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
She was killed anyway

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

Jose posted:

She was killed anyway

In a just world, yeah

But this is Oda country

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like if she and vergo weren't super dead we would have gotten a cover arc by now

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Why can't it just be akainu avoiding an attack? See dog teeth

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh yeah, i forgot about that. Though scars and a clipped ear trumps a lost foot

An ice man having lost a foot is a lot less of an issue then a lava man.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 17, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Akainu could give a hell of a stink eye if Ao Kiji had taken one of his eyes and he replaced it with a lava one though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Maybe Akainu is actually just a pool of lava that ate the Maui Maui fruit

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Can't be, hasn't broken into song yet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like if she and vergo weren't super dead we would have gotten a cover arc by now

vergo was wasted

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Sorry friends, but I'm gonna need something more concrete than "anime, am i right?". Otherwise we'll be no better than the poor schlubs in the DB Super thread. :ohdear:

that's not what I'm saying

in the manga Oda specifically drew attention to the fact that Aokiji took what appeared to be a lethal haki hit and came out relatively fine. whatever the explanation is, and I'm sure there is one, it likely relates to the immense amount of battle experience Akainu and Aokiji have, and their experience with haki

or, in other words, they're fuckin' badass

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ubiquitus posted:

Why can't it just be akainu avoiding an attack? See dog teeth

Yeah gently caress it
He dodged it in his own way

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I 100% PW3 so I guess I'm the pirate king now?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

idk it wasn't that long ago and sometimes they come in way later, like hachi

it would be weird if they survived but no weirder than pell

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think that's how that works, yeah.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk it wasn't that long ago and sometimes they come in way later, like hachi

it would be weird if they survived but no weirder than pell

The marines/pirates went back through the lab wearing the hazmat suits to rescue their friends. Maybe they picked up Vergo and Monet on the way. Although Monet's heart is full of stab wounds and drifting in the ocean somewhere so I don't think she'll be coming back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pell still invalidates any "they can't be alive" arguments for anyone that isn't explicitly dead and buried

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i always thought the akainu and kuzan feats were from them moving their body masses away from points of contact like logia buggy and not them actually tanking whatever hit they got laid on, which is why satsuki only has that massive scar from whitebeards facesmash into the crust of the earth and not from the neck cut that happened on the other side

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Franky survived a ground zero blast as well even though it was just for comedy

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Franky survived a ground zero blast as well even though it was just for comedy

Franky watched the fourth Indiana Jones movie when he had a refrigerator installed in his chest, dude's prepared

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Considering that what Law did to Vergo was enough to gross out Smoker, I would be really surprised if he showed up again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

now that I think about it, hogback and moria are still around so zombie whitebeard and ace aren't even out of the question :v:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

now that I think about it, hogback and moria are still around so zombie whitebeard and ace aren't even out of the question :v:

But what shadows does he use?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

whitebeard gets weevil and ace gets luffy?

e; or ace gets sabo since theyre both mera mera users

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Moria is going to bring back every bad guy ever and even some heroes and then they are going to fight Carrot on the moon?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cheapsteaks posted:

Moria is going to bring back every bad guy ever and even some heroes and then they are going to fight Carrot on the moon?

Then they'll reveal that Roger isn't dead and that Moira was working for him all along! Then a random alien monster that created all the devil fruits will show up to be the new villain instead.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

But we've seen multiple instances when logia users are hit with Haki imbued attacks that they retain the damage the same way they would if they were solid, regular humans. When Diamond Jozu tackled Crocodile, he kept the bloody mouth all the way until the end of the war. When Doflamingo cut up Smoker, his injuries remained exactly where Doflamingo sliced him. Silvers Rayleigh was able to cut Kizaru's face with his sword when he was in light form. In fact, now that I think about it, Akainu's literally the only one that had zero problem fully healing from haki attacks.

kuzan catches whitebeards bento in his gut and everyone goes OMG ITS HAKI YOU'RE DEAD and then he materializes around it? I feel every instance you mentioned were on logia users when they were non-logia'd out compared to akainu and kuzan who were both in semi states of their fruits. Akainu was also normal when WB chokeslammed him too

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Jozu slammed into Croc and caused him damage, and damage causes mouth bleeding.

It's not like Jozu slammed into Croc's mouth.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Pretty obvious Oda was just coming up with Haki on the fly and hadn't figured out the rules for it beyond "lets you punch the fruit guys" in Marineford. Nobody's limbs ever turned black.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bet some turned grey though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

limbs turning black isn't really a rule of how haki works as much as it is a visual indicator for the reader

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he clearly had plans for it going back to skypiea's mantra but yea some specifics about how it works have probably changed

e: it might even go earlier than skypiea since I remember crocodile's reaction to luffy hitting him being vague before luffy mentions he's using water

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 19, 2018

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

he clearly had plans for it going back to skypiea's mantra but yea some specifics about how it works have probably changed

e: it might even go earlier than skypiea since I remember crocodile's reaction to luffy hitting him being vague before luffy mentions he's using water

As was mentioned on the last page, Blackbeard comments on Luffy's "haki" after seeing his wanted poster. I'm not entirely convinced it was an intended reference to haki as we know it now but I wouldn't rule it out.

I might be overestimating the amount of planning that goes into a weekly manga like this (even if this is Oda) but given that we got Rayleigh's explanation on haki immediately after the Marineford war ended I kind of doubt Oda was still feeling out how he wanted the power to work during the war. Akainu and Aokiji's ability to avoid haki attacks in logia form is probably either just extremely fine control over their body or some property of haki we don't know about yet.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hate-Senpai posted:

Also Jozu slammed into Croc and caused him damage, and damage causes mouth bleeding.

It's not like Jozu slammed into Croc's mouth.

Actually he had a slightly cut head. (Which was the only wound he got in that War.) After that he countered everything being thrown at him.

I assume Croc was caught offguard and his body turning to sand on impact just did not act fast enough to avoid the damage. For Kuzan and Sakazuki I assume they opened holes in their bodies to avoid those attacks or defended with their own Armament Haki to reduce the damage.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 19, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Did he have plans for it going back to Skypiea or did he just incorporate Mantra into Haki when he decided it was a thing?

:iiam:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the end of water 7 has garp punch luffy and actually hurt him, which surprised everyone because it wasn't nami during a joke; that's right after skypeia. he could have just added what mantra does to it after he came up with it tho yea

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I might be overestimating the amount of planning that goes into a weekly manga like this (even if this is Oda) but given that we got Rayleigh's explanation on haki immediately after the Marineford war ended I kind of doubt Oda was still feeling out how he wanted the power to work during the war.

Maaaaaaybe. Marineford wasn't short, so if it is the first time haki is a major defined element in the series then there might be details that he chose to walk back once he had them on paper.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drjuggalo posted:

kuzan catches whitebeards bento in his gut and everyone goes OMG ITS HAKI YOU'RE DEAD and then he materializes around it? I feel every instance you mentioned were on logia users when they were non-logia'd out compared to akainu and kuzan who were both in semi states of their fruits. Akainu was also normal when WB chokeslammed him too

Your theory might seem plausible for Aokiji, but not for Akainu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the end of water 7 has garp punch luffy and actually hurt him, which surprised everyone because it wasn't nami during a joke; that's right after skypeia. he could have just added what mantra does to it after he came up with it tho yea

I’m pretty sure a form of haki was introduced in the first chapter when Shanks gave that sea monster the stink eye (conquers haki).