Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Triple Ds will die hard to pretty much anything else strong in the meta right now.

Hell, just taking triple x7s would do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

PS: The San Antonio System Open was won by Yorr Palpshuttle, Inquisitor, Quickdraw. Against Nym + Miranda, no less. Imperial player didn't lose a single ship.
Aparently, he fought that list several times during the Open and never lost. Anyone here went to that tournament?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The last one was on the stream. I'm eager for some commentary; on paper the only thing that should give Miranda Nym anythign resembling trouble is Quickdraw, Inq gets pasted by proton bombs, palp gets pwned by harpoons.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Miranda/Nym player blew the opening so badly. When they started shooting the shuttle had R1 of Miranda, and QD and Inquisitor had arc on Miranda.
He traded 4 shields on the shuttle for 2 damage cards on Miranda's hull and didn't get the harpoons off. Next round he 3 banked in trying to SLAM bomb full health QD (sorta a bad idea anyway) but his 3 bank inwards put him on debris. Miranda got PS killed that turn then at that point it was a shuttle with 6 HP remaining plus QD with 1 shield plus full health Inquisitor vs a full HP Nym.

Rebel player could have won that 9of 10 times if he didn't try to joust the entire list and never get a harpoon off. Guy just got outplayed in the range and maneuvering game before first round of combat

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

that nym/miranda guy supposedly only lost 1 ship the entire day before that game too

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

My strategy for Hangar Bay is to bring

a) a list that counters whatever is "meta" and
b) a list that shores up the biggest weakness of the first list

So what's your triple defender list's biggest weakness?
Can't take anything head on. So I'll probably do something like Assaj/Dengar

thespaceinvader posted:

Triple Ds will die hard to pretty much anything else strong in the meta right now.

I could be totally wrong and get my butt handed to me, but I have had about 50 games with it in the last couple of months and can win a lot of my matches against Kanan/Lowie, Kylo + 2 boats and Nym/Miranda. I run away a lot at the beginning to make people go through the rocks and stretch out formations. If I can't do that I try to get a good angle to make sure at least 2 of my ships can engage while only one of theirs can. Everyone always goes for the tractor beam first so I position him to my advantage. 90% of the time he survives the first engagement. When he fires it is just to strip tokens with his 2 shots if the tractor hits it's just a bonus. Once the ions start landing everything goes to hell, especially against Miranda/Nym (it;s pretty much game over if I ion both) If I have positioned right to get the first engage my opponent is pointed towards an edge maybe not close, but it's still a threat. Also Kylo has a hard time staying out of arc of 3 ships that can 4 flip without stress. one focus doesn't do much against 6 shots.

Also PS1 defenders are amazing blockers. You can't use genius+trajectory sim if you bump.

Also always focus.. always

It may not end up working for me in bigger tournaments, but at the very least the list has taught me a lot about dictating where and when the first engagement takes place.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's all pretty similar to what I experienced with Ion Death Machine (Ion Cannon Palpshuttle + 2x TIE/D Ion Defenders).

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

The Miranda/Nym player blew the opening so badly. When they started shooting the shuttle had R1 of Miranda, and QD and Inquisitor had arc on Miranda.
He traded 4 shields on the shuttle for 2 damage cards on Miranda's hull and didn't get the harpoons off. Next round he 3 banked in trying to SLAM bomb full health QD (sorta a bad idea anyway) but his 3 bank inwards put him on debris. Miranda got PS killed that turn then at that point it was a shuttle with 6 HP remaining plus QD with 1 shield plus full health Inquisitor vs a full HP Nym.

Rebel player could have won that 9of 10 times if he didn't try to joust the entire list and never get a harpoon off. Guy just got outplayed in the range and maneuvering game before first round of combat

I've only been in one final of a regional, but at that point I had won all the shinies I wanted and had played so much Xwing that didn't really give a crap and played without due care.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hoiyes posted:

I've only been in one final of a regional, but at that point I had won all the shinies I wanted and had played so much Xwing that didn't really give a crap and played without due care.

:same: I mostly went for shinies in regionals because the win doesn't really mean anything. I've gone high enough in many regionals that I don't really care about them anymore unless they start releasing bright pink and purple plastic stuff. The latest round of regionals being yet another hue of orange with another iteration of red/green sparkly dice was very disappointing.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How is QD kitted out in the most recent lists?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Also, the new trophies look much worse than the last type.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Seldom Posts posted:

How is QD kitted out in the most recent lists?
Depends on the list. With the QD nuboat list I play, he's quite lean, with just FCS, Title, VI and LWF on him.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

Depends on the list. With the QD nuboat list I play, he's quite lean, with just FCS, Title, VI and LWF on him.

Makes sense. I've been thinking about running that plus threat tracker.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Put Baffles on QD IMHO

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Self-damage QD is a trap unless you desperately need to shoot something PS10+ before it tokens up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Self-damage QD is a trap unless you desperately need to shoot something PS10+ before it tokens up.

Tekopo posted:

This is spot on. Add Advanced Optics iif you can afford it, and a Harpoon Missile if that's your jam and you have enough points.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The one time I used QD's ability to self damage without regret was shortly after he came out.

Other guy had Soontir. I was running QD/Palp/something. Probably Inquisitor.

Anyway, I had lost initiative so was moving first. That sucks against Soontir.

Unless Soontir is on the other side of a rock, that you can fly over, use palp to guarantee the damage, then unload in his face with a target lock, four dice, and he has no tokens.

It was beautiful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

The one time I used QD's ability to self damage without regret was shortly after he came out.

Other guy had Soontir. I was running QD/Palp/something. Probably Inquisitor.

Anyway, I had lost initiative so was moving first. That sucks against Soontir.

Unless Soontir is on the other side of a rock, that you can fly over, use palp to guarantee the damage, then unload in his face with a target lock, four dice, and he has no tokens.

It was beautiful.

I did exactly the same and it was good. Rage/Baffles.

It worked, exactly once, then people caught on to the trick and it was never good again, not to mention that Soontir and then Fenn vanished from the meta shortly after.

It paired nicely with Whisper, who's the only other (well OK, echo) Imperial pilot who actively wants to have init, rather than give it away, to get Cloak off first.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have a pretty decent build for Assaj/Dengar, but with Nym/Miranda everywhere I wanted to make Dengar a bit tougher so I slapped this together. However, I only have 1 point for an EPT on Dengar. I could drop Glitterstim and put PTL on or I could slap on VI. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Dengar (33)
???? 1pt EPT
K4 Security Droid (3)
Glitterstim (2) (maybe drop?)
Countermeasures (3)
Punishing One (12)

Asajj Ventress (37)
Lone Wolf (2)
Latts Razzi (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Countermeasures (3)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I have a pretty decent build for Assaj/Dengar, but with Nym/Miranda everywhere I wanted to make Dengar a bit tougher so I slapped this together. However, I only have 1 point for an EPT on Dengar. I could drop Glitterstim and put PTL on or I could slap on VI. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Dengar (33)
???? 1pt EPT
K4 Security Droid (3)
Countermeasures (3)
Punishing One (12)

Asajj Ventress (37)
Lone Wolf (2)
Latts Razzi (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Countermeasures (3)

Double glitter on Asajj. She's impossible to kill on the first approach. VI or A Score to Settle on Dengar.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Raged posted:

Dengar (33)
???? 1pt EPT
K4 Security Droid (3)
Countermeasures (3)
Punishing One (12)

Asajj Ventress (37)
Lone Wolf (2)
Latts Razzi (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Countermeasures (3)

Consider making Dengar counterfire far more scary:

Dengar (33)
Expertise (4)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Punishing One (12)

Asajj Ventress (37)
Lone Wolf (2)
Latts Razzi (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Countermeasures (3)

Total: 100

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah, I agree that expertise is the best EPT for Dengar, even more so with Rebel Fenn Rau's star rising as the new rebel Biggs. There's not much stress out there atm. Thermals from NymRanda will shut it down, but then you haven't eaten a proton bomb so it's fine. Honestly, I'm thinking dual shadowcasters might be the way to go for scum to beat NymRanda. Ketsu can really bully Miranda with the tractor, and even nym needs to be careful about not flying close to rocks.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Friction posted:

Consider making Dengar counterfire far more scary:

Dengar (33)
Expertise (4)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Punishing One (12)

Asajj Ventress (37)
Lone Wolf (2)
Latts Razzi (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Countermeasures (3)

Total: 100

Yeah that's the list I was originally thinking of. I wanted to change it to make Dengar tank better and Sherm took 2nd with it at the qld regionals and I can already hear him mocking me if I pull it out against him. Meh either way I run a few games of each before the weekend and go with what fits.

Do like the idea of a PS 11 Dengar making Kylo's life a living hell.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Well, Sherm didn't come up with the list so mock him back? You don't want a tanky Dengar anyway, you want your opponent to trigger the double tap or not shoot. That's what keeps you in the damage race. PS11 is pretty tasty vs Nym too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

hoiyes posted:

Yeah, I agree that expertise is the best EPT for Dengar, even more so with Rebel Fenn Rau's star rising as the new rebel Biggs. There's not much stress out there atm. Thermals from NymRanda will shut it down, but then you haven't eaten a proton bomb so it's fine. Honestly, I'm thinking dual shadowcasters might be the way to go for scum to beat NymRanda. Ketsu can really bully Miranda with the tractor, and even nym needs to be careful about not flying close to rocks.

All good points. Dual shadowcasters has been my main list for the last while, and I just haven't been paired up with Nymranda yet. I did get paired in a tournament vs Sol Sixxa and Asajj and lost that one on a tiny margin (half pt Asajj on both sides at time, and his was 4 pts more expensive). In that while regional, nobody ever got a harpoon off, and harpoons were in 2 of 6 lists I paired.

I think Nymranda vs double shadowcasters is probably a pairing the Nymranda player doesn't want to see.

Speaking of, how's a Dash+Poe pairing vs Nymranda? I feel like if Dash can keep out of arc to avoid missiles, he can keep up with the damage race.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Dash Poe is good too, you can actually win at playing the Range game by using countermeasures and black one to prevent harpoons. If you can burn one (preferably Miranda) down before Dash dies, you should be able pull it out with Poe.

T-70 X-Wing: •Poe Dameron (HotR) (43)
Autothrusters (2)
•Black One (1)
Veteran Instincts (1)
•R2-D2 (4)
Advanced Optics (2)

YT-2400 Freighter: •Dash Rendar (57)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Counter-Measures (3)
•Outrider (5)
•Lone Wolf (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
•Rey (2)
Scavenger Crane (2)

Total: 100/100

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
I bought an X-wing starter set for Christmas 2016 thinking it would be a fun thing to play with my kids. Turns out it was the most expensive $17 I've ever spent, as I've now accumulated a sizable fleet. My playtime is spent mostly with my oldest kid, with some casual matches with a friend and brothers.

Anyway, I attended my first small tournament this past weekend. I had a great time meeting other local XWing players, every single one of whom was a nice dude.

I also learned that I have been doing some things wrong this whole time:

-Initiative means you move first and shoot first. I've been doing it move first-shoot last.
-You measure initiative by your squad's total point value. I've been doing it by your squad's total pilot value.
-A single focus can flip all focus dice results. This was a total game-changer for me since I had been playing that you can only change a single die per focus token.

I came in 2nd out of 5 with a Guri/Thweek/Fenn Rau list. Starvipers are hilariously fun to fly with the new title. I lost a brutal game against some Imperial Aces that I would have won had I flown better. 5 ships destroyed in 4 rounds of play!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:allears: It's great seeing how new players think the rules work sometimes. Not making GBS threads on you, everyone has to start somewhere. My first few games I rolled Advanced Proton Torpedoes with an extra attack die because it was Range 1!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Awesome. Playing tournaments isn't the only way to play, but it's a really fun experience to do once in a while.
I asked in our local Facebook group recently about rules that people got wrong when they first started playing, and there were some funny ones.
I thought for some reason that range was measured from the peg, not the edge of the base. Really was puzzled as to how anyone ever got range 1 shots with large ships :v:
Some other funny ones:
One guy didn't realize that faceup cards counted as damage, so he flew around with a blinded pilot not attacking because he thought flipping it would kill him
One thought that crit tokens were the way to track normal damage and was annoyed the core set came with so few.
"When I played with some friends before I owned any X-wing stuff, I had a hard time lining up a shot on my friend’s A-wing. He was using Push the Limit, and boosting twice a turn. He also used 1-turns or banks for his boosts."
"I thought secondary weapons got r1 bonuses. I loved my wave 1 cluster missile Vader with 2 4 die attacks."
"Long after I knew better, I used my phantom for the first time using Stygium and advanced cloak at the same time. Worst part, I was teaching someone the game while cheating to crush him."
"I used Deathrain to drop a Proton bomb on a swarm, then barrel rolled and did my maneuver, which put me staring right at the same swarm, and then I dropped cluster mines, and barrel rolled again, and then shot the survivors..."
"I thought all stress cleared off of a ship if you did a green maneuver."
"My buddies and I thought you could just not choose a maneuver and stay in place."
"When I first started my favorite combo was Vader with Expert Handling, because I thought it just gave you a free barrel roll action that also shook TLs. So I went around, un-lockable, doing 3 actions per turn for a few games until someone pointed out that the instructions start with "Action:", even though the barrel roll itself is free 😕"
"For like a year, I thought if I focused one ship in my squad, all of the ships in my squad would get focused. now it only works for 2 ships. :("

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
The Christmas I got into the game (2015) I was playing with my nephew and dad. I had only played a couple of games and forgot the order of operations and never bothered to look at the rule book. So in my mind, everyone moved in their pilot skill order. After everyone was done moving, then everyone performed their action in pilot skill order. Pretty dumb but made some great tension of my dad and trying to bluff if my tie fighters would barrel roll after everyone had moved.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

My group used to check the initiative by the squad's total pilot value too...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That "spend focus to change one result" error is probably the most common newbie error, followed by doing the same action multiple times.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

That "spend focus to change one result" error is probably the most common newbie error, followed by doing the same action multiple times.

Two of the biggest that aren't obvious at all unless you really paid attention to the rules, probably.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Two of the biggest that aren't obvious at all unless you really paid attention to the rules, probably.

Pretty much this. The focus one is fairly intuitive: I have one focus token with an eyeball on it. I can spend it to change one eyeball. Kind of like when I spend one evade to get an evade!

The other is just a sub-clause on a fairly lengthy rules section, and it's not clear that something like a left boost is considered the same as a straight boost.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The biggest new player thing is they all for some reason start out thinking target lock adds a red die and nothing else.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My brain couldn't parse the whole 'free action' thing for a while, and I have no idea why.

Also, in one of my first tournaments , I thought Echo's banking decloak was optional for some reason. So I lost Echo the first round of combat.....

ConfusedUs posted:

... followed by doing the same action multiple times.
Before I realized this, A-Wing Jake was AMAZING.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Speaking of doing the same thing twice, rules as written, there's nothing stopping Nym with Trajectory launching a bomb before he moves, going one forwards and launching another, is there? Only rule I found was you may only DROP one bomb a turn. And they are separate as TS wording says instead.

Edit: interesting observation, the text on the TS card in the original card fan was different from the actual version, and wouldn't have allowed the interaction with genius. Seems like when the designers decide to change things at the last minute they make a giant loving mess of things. See: jumpmaster.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 17, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

Speaking of doing the same thing twice, rules as written, there's nothing stopping Nym with Trajectory launching a bomb before he moves, going one forwards and launching another, is there? Only rule I found was you may only DROP one bomb a turn. And they are separate as TS wording says instead.

Edit: interesting observation, the text on the TS card in the original card fan was different from the actual version, and wouldn't have allowed the interaction with genius. Seems like when the designers decide to change things at the last minute they make a giant loving mess of things. See: jumpmaster.

The whole "launch" thing is really hosed up. Is it different, or is it not?

If it's different, everything about once per round is out, etc. Which means if you had multiple on-reveal bombs, you could launch one of each of them when you reveal your dial.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Oh wow, it's actually even worse than I thought; nym could launch 2 proton bombs and 2 thermal detonators in a single turn lmao. And follow it up with a harpoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

Oh wow, it's actually even worse than I thought; nym could launch 2 proton bombs and 2 thermal detonators in a single turn lmao. And follow it up with a harpoon.

Once per opportunity rule would make that one of each (see extra munitions ruling with minefield mapper).

I mean, that is clearly against the intention, but if Launch truly does not equal Drop, then logically launching both is also OK with the current rule as written

• Locked thread